Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
soulflower

Red Sox caught cheating

32 posts in this topic

Must be a New England thing

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/09/05/sports/baseball/boston-red-sox-stealing-signs-yankees.html?referer=https://t.co/gun9zolCpT?amp=1

Investigators for Major League Baseball have determined that the Boston Red Sox, who are in first place in the American League East and likely headed to the playoffs, executed a scheme to illicitly steal hand signals from opponents’ catchers in games against the second-place Yankees and other teams, according to several people briefed on the matter.

The baseball inquiry began about two weeks ago, after the Yankees’ general manager, Brian Cashman, filed a detailed complaint with the commissioner’s office that included video the Yankees shot of the Red Sox dugout during a three-game series in Boston last month.

The Yankees, who had long been suspicious of the Red Sox stealing catchers’ signs in Fenway Park, contended the video showed a member of the Red Sox training staff looking at his Apple Watch in the dugout and then relaying a message to players, who may have then been able to use the information to know the type of pitch that was going to be thrown when they were hitting, according to the people familiar with the case.

Baseball investigators corroborated the Yankees’ claims based on video the commissioner’s office uses for instant replay and broadcasts, the people said. The commissioner’s office then confronted the Red Sox, who admitted that their trainers had received signals from video replay personnel and then relayed that information to some players — an operation that had been in place for at least several weeks.

Cheating? In the New England area? 

No way!

Say it ain't so!

"Anyway, MLB will review those tapes the Red Sox claim also incriminate the Yankees in any case. So we will see if there’s some validity to the claims of the cheaters. If there is, that certainly would mitigate their offense, at least as it pertains to the Yankees."

https://www.fanragsports.com/red-sox/heyman-punishment-red-sox-fit-crime/amp/

I wonder how they'll be punished.

Somewhere Tom Brady is shaking his head and writing a "how-to" of cheating the right way.

The Patriots are a complete fraud, soon perhaps we will find out the Red Sox are too.

I'm *SHOCKED*!!!!!

:o

So what's the punishment?

(As an aside...I saw in the 19 inning game where Bautista got thrown out by a mile and the Jays ended up losing in 19. I don't care much for the Sox, but any time Bautista can be wearing a goat's head I consider it a win.)

I'm just here because I want to be the first to dub this scandal "Apple-gate".

Who needs to steal signs, catchers the past few years completely telegraph the location of the pitches anymore.  When did that crap start anyway?  Seems like only past couple of years, the catchers pointing their glove down, up, wherever they want the pitch to go.  Seems pretty easy for anyone on the other team to yell out not to swing at something.

18 minutes ago, alienrace said:

Who needs to steal signs, catchers the past few years completely telegraph the location of the pitches anymore.  When did that crap start anyway?  Seems like only past couple of years, the catchers pointing their glove down, up, wherever they want the pitch to go.  Seems pretty easy for anyone on the other team to yell out not to swing at something.

Maybe someone should yell out to Adam Jones to not swing at balls in the dirt. That would be a big help.

I don't like the 'Boston cheats' narrative that people are going with on this. I mean, come on, everyone steals signs. This is like an annual scandal in MLB. You can set your watch by it.

21 minutes ago, Jimmy Jazz said:

I don't like the 'Boston cheats' narrative that people are going with on this. I mean, come on, everyone steals signs. This is like an annual scandal in MLB. You can set your watch by it.

I don't think teams should be able to use technology to steal signs. Seems like a different level of cheating 

There's not much baseball can do about teams stealing signs the old fashioned way

48 minutes ago, soulflower said:

I don't think teams should be able to use technology to steal signs. Seems like a different level of cheating 

There's not much baseball can do about teams stealing signs the old fashioned way

Spot on, good post.

It's a culture in Boston. Just like Trump, whatever you have to say or do to win..it doesn't matter.

47 minutes ago, soulflower said:

Of course they shouldn't be able to. There are rules against it and I'm sure the Sox will be punished appropriately.

I just think this story is much ado about very little. It's taken on outsized dimensions because:

1) Yankees-Red Sox.

2) The Patriots.

7 minutes ago, dshawg1 said:

It's a culture in Boston. Just like Trump, whatever you have to say or do to win..it doesn't matter.

It's merely a coincidence that two teams that are geographically collocated have been accused of cheating. If the Chiefs and the Royals faced similar accusations no one would make these wild inferences about the culture of Kansas City.

24 minutes ago, Jimmy Jazz said:

It's merely a coincidence that two teams that are geographically collocated have been accused of cheating. If the Chiefs and the Royals faced similar accusations no one would make these wild inferences about the culture of Kansas City.

The Red Sox also cheated with signing international players earlier this year (I think it had to do with paying them more under the table). I know some of the contracts were voided. All teams have the same set of rules. The Boston teams seem to not think the rules apply to them.

25 minutes ago, ncbirdfan said:

The Red Sox also cheated with signing international players earlier this year (I think it had to do with paying them more under the table). I know some of the contracts were voided. All teams have the same set of rules. The Boston teams seem to not think the rules apply to them.

THEY should certainly have to eat a bunch of humble pie!!!

(IMO, of course.)

;)

2 hours ago, Jimmy Jazz said:

I remember the Cardinals hacking into the Astros' computers being a big deal a year or two ago

http://deadspin.com/the-cardinals-hacking-scandal-stands-alone-in-the-histo-1791874131

2 hours ago, Jimmy Jazz said:

Is it also a geographical coincidence that they have the most obnoxious fans in the civilized (and uncivilized) world?

20 hours ago, OriginalColtsFan said:

Is it also a geographical coincidence that they have the most obnoxious fans in the civilized (and uncivilized) world?

Nope!

8 minutes ago, Rob said:

Nope!

I didn't think so. But what do I know?