Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Rob

Austin Hays promoted to O's

56 posts in this topic

Orioles farm system has been cranking out some serious MLB talent lately.

Edited by Rob
removed comment (trolling)

Nice to see the kid get a cup of coffee at the Major League level.

This makes ZERO sense.

1) Our beloved Baysox have now been dealt a terrible blow for the playoffs. So much for Duquette and Buck's quotes on not wanting to disrupting their minor league team's playoff chances..

2) this starts Hays clock early and for no good reason, Stupid. I would be fine with that if their weren't other options. (Both Yaz and Mullings I believe have to be protected for Rule 5 draft next year-Yaz is a better runner too).

3) Buck doesn't play Santander who was RED hot before getting the call. He ruins that by running Joey Rickard out there every other day. What makes you think he is going to play Hays when he won't play Santander?

I loved the walk-off last night, but between dumb moves like this (my guess is Hays will play very little and just ruin the Baysox playoff chances) and Duquette's inepitiude in forming an average starting rotation....this team is screwed. The sooner they jettison Duquette the better IMO.

Edited by dshawg1

18 minutes ago, dshawg1 said:

This makes ZERO sense.

1) Our beloved Baysox have now been dealt a terrible blow for the playoffs. So much for Duquette and Buck's quotes on not wanting to disrupting their minor league team's playoff chances..

2) this starts Hays clock early and for no good reason, Stupid. I would be fine with that if their weren't other options. (Both Yaz and Mullings I believe have to be protected for Rule 5 draft next year-Yaz is a better runner too).

3) Buck doesn't play Santander who was RED hot before getting the call. He ruins that by running Joey Rickard out there every other day. What makes you think he is going to play Hays when he won't play Santander?

I loved the walk-off last night, but between dumb moves like this (my guess is Hays will play very little and just ruin the Baysox playoff chances) and Duquette's inepitiude in forming an average starting rotation....this team is screwed. The sooner they jettison Duquette the better IMO.

1. It’s the minors for a reason ask Austin where he would rather be JV or Varsity 

2. He’s 22 and has nothing left to prove in AA worst case he goes to Norfolk when they break camp in 2018 but from all accounts he’s here 

3. Santander doesn’t play Santander, being hot in the minors and batting 2something in the majors means you sit 

play like trey and well you see where that ended up

lol I can’t believe we are upset about a jv team

Why would you start Hays' clock when you know Buck won't play him AND you have a LONG list of players that need protection this offseason? Yaz is a better pinch runner and serves the purpose much better.

Do you really think Buck is going to bench his Rickard?

5 minutes ago, dshawg1 said:

Why would you start Hays' clock when you know Buck won't play him AND you have a LONG list of players that need protection this offseason? Yaz is a better pinch runner and serves the purpose much better.

I think Austin would play today 

we don’t need a runner we need a bat which Gentry (Lol crouse see credit) was able to provide until he got hurt

Again Imo Hayes did this to himself the kid was killing it on jv get him a cup of coffee maybe he provides a spark or something 

47 minutes ago, dshawg1 said:

Players need full seasons to qualify for free agency (172 days on the major league roster is defined as a full season), so Hayes would still be under team control for a full six years after this season. If the Orioles wanted to defer his free agency rights even longer, they could bring him up to majors later next season so he wouldn't accrue 172 service days in one season alone. This is similar to what the Cubs did with Kris Bryant a few years back.

2 hours ago, dshawg1 said:

I think this is because Gentry is hurt. Buck mentioned that he didn't want to disrupt what they had going on in the minors unless he had to and I think that injury did just that 

4 hours ago, mdrunning said:

Players need full seasons to qualify for free agency (172 days on the major league roster is defined as a full season), so Hayes would still be under team control for a full six years after this season. If the Orioles wanted to defer his free agency rights even longer, they could bring him up to majors later next season so he wouldn't accrue 172 service days in one season alone. This is similar to what the Cubs did with Kris Bryant a few years back.

Thank you sir. good info here.

3 hours ago, 85Knight said:

I think this is because Gentry is hurt. Buck mentioned that he didn't want to disrupt what they had going on in the minors unless he had to and I think that injury did just that 

I guess that is good at least, because Gentry is awful:)

I just hope we don't see Santander - Part 2.

Call up a super-hot bat and then have them sit on the bench every day and never play.

Buck infuriates me with playing Gentry and Smith over trying out Santander.

13 hours ago, Rob said:

Call up a super-hot bat and then have them sit on the bench every day and never play.

Santander is the real deal IMO, his bat was red hot and what does Buck do? Plays him twice and then sits him. Maddening....

46 minutes ago, dshawg1 said:

Santander is the real deal IMO, his bat was red hot and what does Buck do? Plays him twice and then sits him. Maddening....

His bat was red hot? Since when is .182 (no extra base hits) red hot?

9 for 24 (.375) with 3 HR and 6 RBI before the promotion.

16 minutes ago, Rob said:

9 for 24 (.375) with 3 HR and 6 RBI before the promotion.

This is the Majors. He has not hit that well since his call-up. There are many players that do well in the minors and cannot do well in the Majors. The Orioles are also in a pennant race. It is not the time to experiment with a rookie that just came off a major injury. Of course he had a few opportunities with the Orioles but just has not performed well enough to have earned any more playing time.

Edited by ncbirdfan

On ‎9‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 11:53 AM, dshawg1 said:

This makes ZERO sense.

I tend to agree with this even if it doesn't impact his service time.  I'm sure Buck is only looking at the kid as a pinch runner.  He doesn't trust these young guys he doesn't know.  I don't like having to DFA a young pitcher like Aquino to make this move.  Yeah his numbers at AAA stunk, but so did Bridwells.  Hopefully he can sneak through and be outrighted.  

So where is Alvarez been.  We had to clear a 40 man for him.  PH only I assume.  And then we'll have to DFA someone else I assume to bring Hardy back.  Just great.  

37 minutes ago, ncbirdfan said:

This is the Majors. He has not hit that well since his call-up. There are many players that do well in the minors and cannot do well in the Majors. The Orioles are also in a pennant race. It is not the time to experiment with a rookie that just came off a major injury. Of course he had a few opportunities with the Orioles but just has not performed well enough to have earned any more playing time.

He's only played in 2 games. Hard to stay in any kind of rhythm when you never play.

17 hours ago, Rob said:

It seems like a bad managerial decision. But that's Buck, he likes his guys. And he's a players' manager, which essentially means he's always going to choose his vets over new guys.

18 minutes ago, weird-O said:

It seems like a bad managerial decision. But that's Buck, he likes his guys. And he's a players' manager, which essentially means he's always going to choose his vets over new guys.

Kyler Boller has "it". I am sticking with my guy.

Just now, Rob said:

He's only played in 2 games. Hard to stay in any kind of rhythm when you never play.

Christian Walker is having a heck of a season in Reno but he has not been promoted. I'm not saying Santander will not be able to hit ML pitching consistently but no one knows at this point and if the Orioles are still in contention I understand why he doesn't get too many ABs. Now if only he could pitch... ;)

5 minutes ago, ncbirdfan said:

Christian Walker is having a heck of a season in Reno but he has not been promoted. I'm not saying Santander will not be able to hit ML pitching consistently but no one knows at this point and if the Orioles are still in contention I understand why he doesn't get too many ABs. Now if only he could pitch... ;)

Generally speaking, it's tough for a team, that's in the post season hunt, to give AB to an unproven minor league player. Especially one who only has minimal experience above A ball. Even if he shows promise. But I also understand the argument to give him the ABs that Gentry and Smith would otherwise get. Those guys aren't doing much for the team, in terms of run production. Santander is a big question mark, where as we know what Gentry and Smith are. To make a blackjack analogy, sticking with Smith/Gentry is like standing pat with 12. If you ask for another card, you may bust out. But you are most probably going to lose if you stand on 12. Maybe the mystery card is the better call.     

5 minutes ago, weird-O said:

Generally speaking, it's tough for a team, that's in the post season hunt, to give AB to an unproven minor league player. Especially one who only has minimal experience above A ball. Even if he shows promise. But I also understand the argument to give him the ABs that Gentry and Smith would otherwise get. Those guys aren't doing much for the team, in terms of run production. Santander is a big question mark, where as we know what Gentry and Smith are. To make a blackjack analogy, sticking with Smith/Gentry is like standing pat with 12. If you ask for another card, you may bust out. But you are most probably going to lose if you stand on 12. Maybe the mystery card is the better call.     

Great analogy weird-O

29 minutes ago, weird-O said:

24 minutes ago, Rob said:

Great analogy weird-O

I respectfully disagree with both of you. I like Smith and he adds a different dimension to the team. And Gentry has the speed and he was getting good contact recently. His batting average for August was .371 and OBP was an amazing .436. He started out in a deep hole and now has a decent though not spectacular .256 batting average (.333 OBP) overall. Before June he was only batting .162 BA/.250 OBP.

I'm also still not completely sold on Santander. I think he needs a year of Spring Training in order to develop. Had he not been injured I'm sure he would have gotten his ABs this season and we would have known - one way or another - what he could do. But now the Orioles need experience and he just does not provide that.

Edited by ncbirdfan