Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AgentOrange

The Gilman Rehab Project

84 posts in this topic

WHAT must they do to get back in the running?....the most important question is will they do it?....

Do what made Gilman so special and the real deal back in the day....  Buy a team, they can afford it.

Apparently they could not afford it.....Poggi obviously had a price that was not met but go ahead DW.....do tell.....YOU ARE ON A ROLL 

Oh come on AO, what does it really cost a $30K tuition school to allow several kids to take some seats in classes that will happen whether or not the players are there.  That sounds like a good deal for the school for all the attention these players afford Gilman. The price Gilman no longer wanted to pay was tuition paying Kyle not getting play reps while Pookie was getting all the play...  Come on, lets say the truth,the whole truth, and nothin' but!!!

7 hours ago, DayWalker said:

Oh come on AO, what does it really cost a $30K tuition school to allow several kids to take some seats in classes that will happen whether or not the players are there.  That sounds like a good deal for the school for all the attention these players afford Gilman. The price Gilman no longer wanted to pay was tuition paying Kyle not getting play reps while Pookie was getting all the play...  Come on, lets say the truth,the whole truth, and nothin' but!!!

AMEN...Ra! Lol!

Everyone keeps claiming that the reason Biff and Gilman parted ways was because Gilman's bluebloods were upset that Biff's recruits were taking playing time from their kids, but I don't think that was ever a real concern.  Also, Gilman didn't lay down a line in the sand because of $; they did so because they didn't want to lose control of the admissions process.  I assure you Gilman has the $ to do WHATEVER it wants, with or without Biff.  IMO, Gilman needs to go back to its roots and focus on attracting and developing more multisport athletes - guys like Danien Davis, Ryan Boyle, Brian Carroll, etc. Because the school is on the small side, they can't realistically put all of their emphasis on one sport at the expense of the entire athletic dept.  Just my 2 cents.

5 minutes ago, gillytech said:

Everyone keeps claiming that the reason Biff and Gilman parted ways was because Gilman's bluebloods were upset that Biff's recruits were taking playing time from their kids, but I don't think that was ever a real concern.  Also, Gilman didn't lay down a line in the sand because of $; they did so because they didn't want to lose control of the admissions process.  I assure you Gilman has the $ to do WHATEVER it wants, with or without Biff.  IMO, Gilman needs to go back to its roots and focus on attracting and developing more multisport athletes - guys like Danien Davis, Ryan Boyle, Brian Carroll, etc. Because the school is on the small side, they can't realistically put all of their emphasis on one sport at the expense of the entire athletic dept.  Just my 2 cents.

Yes, this is very true. The issue was all about the admission process, and Biff wanting to circumvent it. 

I don't know if Gilman can go back to the old model, because I don't know if there's many of those sort of multisport athletes left. We're in the age of specialization. It's sad IMO, because I absolutely believe that kids benefit more from playing more than one sport. You will always have a few studs, but I don't know if you can compete in the A with those sort of athletes anymore. 

I

7 minutes ago, GREYHOUND ALUM said:

Yes, this is very true. The issue was all about the admission process, and Biff wanting to circumvent it. 

I don't know if Gilman can go back to the old model, because I don't know if there's many of those sort of multisport athletes left. We're in the age of specialization. It's sad IMO, because I absolutely believe that kids benefit more from playing more than one sport. You will always have a few studs, but I don't know if you can compete in the A with those sort of athletes anymore. 

If you remove the new model of recruiting players from everywhere and basically paying for them to play a sport you could get back to where it was before. Domination started when the money started flowing. It's been stated on here that SFA is shelling out around 300,000 towards football scholarships, with the cost of tuition at the school that basically covers most of the team. Now I wonder how many of the families receiving these scholarships for Football really need. From what I understand in the MIAA total athletic scholarships are supposed to be a no no. 

1 minute ago, jbmad said:

I

If you remove the new model of recruiting players from everywhere and basically paying for them to play a sport you could get back to where it was before. Domination started when the money started flowing. It's been stated on here that SFA is shelling out around 300,000 towards football scholarships, with the cost of tuition at the school that basically covers most of the team. Now I wonder how many of the families receiving these scholarships for Football really need. From what I understand in the MIAA total athletic scholarships are supposed to be a no no. 

Well that's not going to happen. That never happened before, football just wasn't very big in the area back then like it is now. Private schools always had money in lacrosse and basketball in the area.

Private schools reserve the right to do what they want, with their money. You make a rule about what private schools can do with their money, you then make them public schools. 

28 minutes ago, GREYHOUND ALUM said:

Are the kids required to play two sports at Gilman? 

1 hour ago, gillytech said:

52 minutes ago, GREYHOUND ALUM said:

Yeah yeah yeah but come on counselor, The DayWalker didn't say Gilman lack the bejamins or didn't care to put out, I said folks who pay tuition and sustain the school with big buck donations and support didn't care for theirs to be on the team as cheerleaders for Biff's Baltimore city and way beyond mercenaries.  That's a great difference than just not wanting to lay down bucks we all know you Gilmanites just love to flaunt you're loaded.  But Kyle, Connor, and Cody's moms and dads want keepsake videos of theirs running and tackling and scoring and not Jim, James, Paul, and Tyrone as Erykah Badu called out being Tired of That Shyte...  :D

But hey, if Gilman can't raise its leg high enough like the real big dawgs, then maybe the B or C conferences are a better fit....  How 'bout independent!

Edited by DayWalker

13 minutes ago, Tomslick said:

From Mr. Gilman:

Upper School students must participate in interscholastic or intramural athletics every season except one in their senior year. Most Upper Schoolers participate on at least one interscholastic team in any given year, however, students are not required to try out for an interscholastic team, and may elect to participate solely in intramurals.

19 minutes ago, Tomslick said:

Kids are required to play a sport every season at Gilman, except one during your senior year. But the sport can be an intramural one. 

1 hour ago, gillytech said:

What control would they be losing? Seems like every kid brought in seemed to benefit in that environment 

1 minute ago, bleedingorangeandblack said:

What control would they be losing? Seems like every kid brought in seemed to benefit in that environment 

Coaches shouldn't be able to tell the school who is accepted into the school! That was the issue! Biff wanted to have a certain number of slots guaranteed to him, without going through the admission process! This isn't acceptable at Gilman, and was the last straw on both sides. They can't give one coach this sort of power, and not others. Not to mention, they can't circumvent the admission process, period. This topic has been talked about ad naseum when it happened. 

Just now, GREYHOUND ALUM said:

Coaches shouldn't be able to tell the school who is accepted into the school! That was the issue! Biff wanted to have a certain number of slots guaranteed to him, without going through the admission process! This isn't acceptable at Gilman, and was the last straw on both sides. They can't give one coach this sort of power, and not others. Not to mention, they can't circumvent the admission process, period. This topic has been talked about ad naseum when it happened. 

What other coaches have been able to do what Poggi did?

This also couldn’t have been a hey this year I want x amount of slots for me or hey I want to get this kid in because this environment would benefit him

5 minutes ago, bleedingorangeandblack said:

What other coaches have been able to do what Poggi did?

This also couldn’t have been a hey this year I want x amount of slots for me or hey I want to get this kid in because this environment would benefit him

This was without a doubt about Biff asking for a certain number of guarenteed slots. This isn't up for debate, this is a fact.

Who cares what Biff has done, you can't bring in a C or whatever average kid to a school like Gilman! It's damn near child abuse, and helping no one. There is other schools for that, not Gilman. 

Edited by GREYHOUND ALUM

20 minutes ago, GREYHOUND ALUM said:

But in the days of gravy, all we heard from you GA was all the top tier universities all your great players were going to....  g-Spot boasted of the near 100% matriculation rates so the talented athletes Biff "bought in" kept pace with the general population, as least that's what you all preached then while kickin' some MIAA butts unlike now getting your @zz spanked but good.  Hell, back then I wanted to send my daughter to Gilman to play football and go to Cornell, Princeton, and the like you and g-Spot touted ad nauseam also back in the day.  Now we talk a different company line....  Who can we trust around here for the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.....at all times!!!!  I say The DayWalker  :rolleyes:

Edited by DayWalker

10 minutes ago, GREYHOUND ALUM said:

This was without a doubt about Biff asking for a certain number of guarenteed slots. This isn't up for debate, this is a fact.

Who cares what Biff has done, you can't bring in a C or whatever average kid to a school like Gilman! It's damn near child abuse, and helping no one. There is other schools for that, not Gilman. 

BS 

they bring in C kids all the time have them reclass and keep it moving and that’s not even up for debate 

17 minutes ago, OldBallCoach said:

GA agree 100% if that is what was happening. 

See above :D

Gilman has clearly made the decision that academics are more important than athletics, and I have to give them props.  Their teams generally stink these days and I don't think its a coincidence.  That being said, the alumni will start to complain.

13 minutes ago, bleedingorangeandblack said:

BS 

they bring in C kids all the time have them reclass and keep it moving and that’s not even up for debate 

No they don't, you have no idea what you're talking about! Reclassing happens all the time with none athletic students at Gilman. No C average student would be let into the school! B average, sure. I was an A average student, who came from an elite school to Gilman, and I could have benefited from being reclassed. You can't tell me anything about how Gilman works, I have 30 years of experience with the school. 

Edited by GREYHOUND ALUM

3 minutes ago, miaasportsfan said:

Gilman has clearly made the decision that academics are more important than athletics, and I have to give them props.  Their teams generally stink these days and I don't think its a coincidence.  That being said, the alumni will start to complain.

I think what happened with Biff was more than just saying that Gilman cares more about academics than Athletics. It's much deeper than that, and something too broad to discuss on a message board. 

But you are correct, the alumni will start(have started) to complain. Because the demise of the Athletics at Gilman is greatly hurting the bottom line of the school.