Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AgentOrange

The Gilman Rehab Project

84 posts in this topic

14 minutes ago, GREYHOUND ALUM said:

No they don't, you have no idea what you're talking about! Reclassing happens all the time with none athletic students at Gilman. No C average student would be let into the school! B average, sure. I was an A average student, who came from an elite school to Gilman, and I could have benefited from being reclassed. You can't tell me anything about how Gilman works, I have 30 years of experience with the school. 

Oh I have a pretty good idea on what I speak of 

13 minutes ago, GREYHOUND ALUM said:

I think what happened with Biff was more than just saying that Gilman cares more about academics than Athletics. It's much deeper than that, and something too broad to discuss on a message board. 

But you are correct, the alumni will start(have started) to complain. Because the demise of the Athletics at Gilman is greatly hurting the bottom line of the school. 

What is the bottom line 

2 minutes ago, bleedingorangeandblack said:

What is the bottom line 

Bottom line for a school like Gilman is always endowment and prestige. 

7 minutes ago, GREYHOUND ALUM said:

Bottom line for a school like Gilman is always endowment and prestige. 

Except for when you were dominating the football field?

2 minutes ago, bleedingorangeandblack said:

Except for when you were dominating the football field?

What? Again, the divorce between Biff and Gilman is much deeper than something that can be discussed in simple text, on a message board. Years of personal issues between a multitude of people. 

1 minute ago, GREYHOUND ALUM said:

What? Again, the divorce between Biff and Gilman is much deeper than something that can be discussed in simple text, on a message board. Years of personal issues between a multitude of people. 

In the meantime the prestige of the school is now being tarnished because....

11 hours ago, DayWalker said:

Oh come on AO, what does it really cost a $30K tuition school to allow several kids to take some seats in classes that will happen whether or not the players are there.  That sounds like a good deal for the school for all the attention these players afford Gilman. The price Gilman no longer wanted to pay was tuition paying Kyle not getting play reps while Pookie was getting all the play...  Come on, lets say the truth,the whole truth, and nothin' but!!!

I see your point...you do have me thinking.....

12 minutes ago, bleedingorangeandblack said:

In the meantime the prestige of the school is now being tarnished because....

I don't really see the prestige of the school  as being tarnished at all....simply put, Gilman football team is not winning these days and to me, thats about it......If SAF can with the Miaa-a without Poggi, than why can't Gilman simply find another winning coach and continue on. 

Edited by AgentOrange

Just now, AgentOrange said:

I don't really see the prestige of the school  as being tarnished at all....simply out, Gilman football team is not winning these days and to me, that about it......If SAF can with the Miaa-a without Poggi, than why can't Gilman simply find another winning coach and continue on. 

One can argue that it can because the man who the removed was allowing a different type of student access 

44 minutes ago, miaasportsfan said:

Gilman has clearly made the decision that academics are more important than athletics, and I have to give them props.  Their teams generally stink these days and I don't think its a coincidence.  That being said, the alumni will start to complain.

Gilman made a decision that its base wanted to see more of their paying play than the paid for kids....  That's what needs to be prop'd.  Gilman is what it is on the field today because of current parent complaints the headmaster and blue-blood board heard very loud and clear.  Alums beaching ain't changing jack; Gilman football is who we thought they were.  The MIAA-A is all about SFA and McD today; the same two-horse race as it always been but now without a graydawg.....

7 minutes ago, AgentOrange said:

I see your point...you do have me thinking.....

Feeling dizzy, especially doing something new?  :D

3 minutes ago, bleedingorangeandblack said:

One can argue that it can because the man who the removed was allowing a different type of student access 

Gilman literally has a million years of doing things right both academically and athletically....whats a few mishaps.....Daniels at City was getting preferential treatment for his players and winning state titles...Harcum got rid of him...no one is talking about it...Bcc has credit and so does Gilman 

1 minute ago, DayWalker said:

Feeling dizzy, especially doing something new?  :D

Brandy helps....among other things....wink

3 minutes ago, bleedingorangeandblack said:

That's horse**** and a narrative largely created by Poggi and his staff on the way out to save face while hurting Gilman.  Gilman has been at the forefront of expanding opportunities for what you call "different types of students" for decades.  Biff wanted X number of spots for football players each year and the headmaster said enough was enough - that's it.  There was also a lot of concern that money was being given to families who didn't have financial need but had sons who could ball.

21 minutes ago, GREYHOUND ALUM said:

Oh come GA, we have nothing but time and space for you to go as deep as you care to do to get it all out in the open.  But please do not start off with Once Upon A Time I get from most of what you have to say about your beloved G.  But please go ahead and do tell, I'm ALL Ears.  Help him fill in the blank spots g-Spot.... ;)

1 minute ago, gillytech said:

That's horse**** and a narrative largely created by Poggi and his staff on the way out to save face while hurting Gilman.  Gilman has been at the forefront of expanding opportunities for what you call "different types of students" for decades.  Biff wanted X number of spots for football players each year and the headmaster said enough was enough - that's it.  There was also a lot of concern that money was being given to families who didn't have financial need but had sons who could ball.

Football players are students too😉

5 minutes ago, AgentOrange said:

Gilman literally has a million years of doing things right both academically and athletically....whats a few mishaps.....Daniels at City was getting preferential treatment for his players and winning state titles...Harcum got rid of him...no one is talking about it...Bcc has credit and so does Gilman 

Sure credit can be given 

7 minutes ago, gillytech said:

....There was also a lot of concern that money was being given to families who didn't have financial need but had sons who could ball.

Ya mean like the sons of a college coache and sons of former NFL player who would not Pay to Play unless Gilman worked it out.  But darn did Gilman ride that horse for all it was worth....

Edited by DayWalker

10 minutes ago, gillytech said:

This is close to what I was told and heard...Biff wanted to win big time, so he requested and was given complete control  over scholarships....when Gilman failed to beat the nationally ranked opponents and could not pull Mcdonogh off its ***, Biff blamed people....he was also upset because his teams lacked heart and often enough turned soft in the face of challenges....Biff felt he needed tougher players....SAF was the one place that offered him the power he wanted  to include say so over scholarships and the dibs on inner city Talent...players he felt like were tougher than what he had at Gilman..... .   

Edited by AgentOrange

2 minutes ago, DayWalker said:

Ya mean like the sons of a college coache and sons of former NFL player who would not Pay to Play unless Gilman worked it out.  But darn did Gilman ride that horse for all it was worth....

Still doing it at SFA, right

2 minutes ago, DayWalker said:

Hell yea...AGREED.....The horse dropped dead in spring gulch...but by then Biff had money bags galore.... 

1 minute ago, AgentOrange said:

This is close to what I was told and heard...Biff wanted to win bug time, so he he requested and was given complete control  over scholarships....when Gilman failed to beat the nationally ranked opponents and could not pull Mcdonogh off its ***, Biff blamed people....he was also upset because his teams lacked heart and often enough turned soft in the face of challenges....Biff felt he needed tougher players....SAF was the one place that offered him the power he wanted  to include say so over scholarships and the dibs on inner city Talent...players he felt like were tougher than what he had at Gilman..... .   

How many of those kids on the roster are actually inner city kids

Just now, jbmad said:

How many of those kids on the roster are actually inner city kids

Not really sure but regardless of how many of them that exist, it was the inner city talent that attracted Biff....what he really wanted Was Saint Dunbar or the Miaa version of Dunbar.... 

1 minute ago, AgentOrange said:

Not really sure but regardless of how many of them that exist, it was the inner city talent that attracted Biff....what he really wanted Was Saint Dunbar or the Miaa version of Dunbar.... 

I don't believe that at all. What he wanted was total control of who he wanted to get into the school to play football, without having to answer to anyone including the MIAA. You know as well as I do they had a couple of 5th year guys play last year. Your a city guy so you know at least one of them. He also wanted to be able to control grades.  Funny thing to me is everyone says he is getting guys to school. Most of the guys he brings in already  have multiple offers, talk about taking credit for someone else's work 

1 hour ago, DayWalker said:

From Mr. Gilman:

Upper School students must participate in interscholastic or intramural athletics every season except one in their senior year. Most Upper Schoolers participate on at least one interscholastic team in any given year, however, students are not required to try out for an interscholastic team, and may elect to participate solely in intramurals.

1 hour ago, GREYHOUND ALUM said:

Kids are required to play a sport every season at Gilman, except one during your senior year. But the sport can be an intramural one. 

So there are a ton of two sport athletes in the building that could help the program who can choose not to help is how I'm reading this?