Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Baltimatt

Beer sales at grocery stores

42 posts in this topic

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/politics/bs-md-beer-in-grocery-stores-20170905-story.html#nws=true

Benjamin Schwalb loves good beer so much he brews his own. He has a leadership post in a local brewing club and, as a connoisseur, seeks craft brews at specialty stores in his Severna Park neighborhood.  Maryland’s long-standing prohibition on beer sales in grocery stores baffles him.

“Other states sell beer in grocery stores. Why not Maryland?” he asked. It’d be much easier to scoop up his next favorite brew without making a special trip. “Especially now with the explosion of craft breweries, consumers need more venues.”  The idea of grocery store sales is popular with consumers, but Maryland’s brewery industry is far less enamored with taking on the political fight. Doing so would require upending Prohibition-era laws that protect liquor stores from chain store competition.

I know Eddie's supermarket on Eager Street sells beer and wine, and it seems like every gas station on the Eastern Shore sells beer.

I was thinking it's a county by county thing, no?  We had a Safeway that sold beer and wine down the street...they were grandfathered in somehow...then they moved that license to their Olney store when they renovated it. Our whole Safeway closed after that.

I lived in NY where beer is in all the stores. When I first moved here in 1991 I couldn't understand why you couldn't find beer in grocery stores. 

55 minutes ago, Norman said:

I was thinking it's a county by county thing, no?  We had a Safeway that sold beer and wine down the street...they were grandfathered in somehow...then they moved that license to their Olney store when they renovated it. Our whole Safeway closed after that.

Yes it is. And in some counties such as Baltimore County many years ago a lot of wink wink nod nod went on between the liquor lobbiests and the gooberment  so the liquor lobby controls things AKA monopoly. If you noted ....when Guiness proposed having a bar at the plant 'they' were all over it.

I like the compromise rule so they could have it. In summary....Yes they can sell X number of barrels of beer....if they want to sell more...they have to sell barrels to a wholesaler who in turn sells it to a retailer....who can then sell it back to Guiness (with markups). Can you spell extortion?:lol: Or monopoly? :lol:

Yes, Maryland liquor laws are established by the state but vary from county to county, with each county (and Baltimore City) having its own liquor board.

1 minute ago, Baltimatt said:

Yes, Maryland liquor laws are established by the state but vary from county to county, with each county (and Baltimore City) having its own liquor board.

I don't know if this still holds true in PA. since I haven't been up there is sometime. But those state controlled liquor stores are a trip...buy beer here....spirits there....wine there......buy both maybe over here all three there. Only buy this or that on certain days.

At least that is the way it seemed to me during my last visit. Please correct me so I am prepped for my next visit....fall foliage is coming.

1 hour ago, Baltimatt said:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/politics/bs-md-beer-in-grocery-stores-20170905-story.html#nws=true

I know Eddie's supermarket on Eager Street sells beer and wine, and it seems like every gas station on the Eastern Shore sells beer.

Which means that they applied for and received a license from their local jurisdiction. I am surprised that a store in the city would have gotten such a license, but the eastern shore does not surprise me at all. 

You can buy beer at some gas stations in FredCo. You can also buy alcohol on Sundays here, unlike BaltCo. (Not sure if BaltCo still has blue laws on Sundays)

I think the restrictive laws are stupid, personally, but this is the way it's been and changing it now could potentially put a lot of liquor stores out of business.

I always love marveling at the large beer & wine display in other states grocery stores. But the trade off in other states is that hard liquor is much harder to find than in MD.

In Baltimore City there are liquor stores that will put in a small bar and get a tavern license so they can sell retail on Sunday.  

27 minutes ago, Guido2 said:

I don't know if this still holds true in PA. since I haven't been up there is sometime. But those state controlled liquor stores are a trip...buy beer here....spirits there....wine there......buy both maybe over here all three there. Only buy this or that on certain days.

At least that is the way it seemed to me during my last visit. Please correct me so I am prepped for my next visit....fall foliage is coming.

Some counties in Maryland (Montgomery and Worcester and perhaps others) have county liquor stores.

19 minutes ago, Baltimatt said:

Some counties in Maryland (Montgomery and Worcester and perhaps others) have county liquor stores.

That's a new one on me.....never saw one. Or I did and didn't realize it. In PA it is pretty obvious...STATE LIQUOR SALES on the side of the building is a quick tip off. :D

26 minutes ago, Pickle20 said:

You can buy beer at some gas stations in FredCo. You can also buy alcohol on Sundays here, unlike BaltCo. (Not sure if BaltCo still has blue laws on Sundays)

I think the restrictive laws are stupid, personally, but this is the way it's been and changing it now could potentially put a lot of liquor stores out of business.

I always love marveling at the large beer & wine display in other states grocery stores. But the trade off in other states is that hard liquor is much harder to find than in MD.

Baltimore City and County still have the Sunday law, yet AA County doesn't.

12 minutes ago, ivanbalt said:

Baltimore City and County still have the Sunday law, yet AA County doesn't.

But as with everything there are work arounds. For example, Monohans in Woodlawn it is a bar but is open to sell ANY liquor on Sunday.: and Monahans is right next to a place of worship. Go Figure. Yet exclusively liquor sale retailers in the county must close.

44 minutes ago, Pickle20 said:

As some may know Blue laws were instituted back in the day to accomidate religion....Sunday was supposed to be a day of rest and contemplation. Of course in starts and fits...that changed....sort of.

When I lived in NJ which at the time had Blue laws in the 60-70s it was very weird. You could go to Two Guys from Harrision, you could buy jewlery, sporting equipment, records and hand tools. But you could not buy cloths, food, camera's or appliances.  But you could buy food from strictly a supermarket from the hours of 11 till 5.

Not kidding.

12 minutes ago, Guido2 said:

As some may know Blue laws were instituted back in the day to accomidate religion....Sunday was supposed to be a day of rest and contemplation. Of course in starts and fits...that changed....sort of.

When I lived in NJ which at the time had Blue laws in the 60-70s it was very weird. You could go to Two Guys from Harrision, you could buy jewlery, sporting equipment, records and hand tools. But you could not buy cloths, food, camera's or appliances.  But you could buy food from strictly a supermarket from the hours of 11 till 5.

Not kidding.

Yes, I remember going to Great Eastern Mills and finding whole sections roped off.

1 minute ago, Baltimatt said:

Yes, I remember going to Great Eastern Mills and finding whole sections roped off.

So ....just curiosity here.....since you now live in NJ.....how are you finding the Sunday shopping? Yes I visit my sister but rarely go on shopping expeditions with them on a Sunday.

I think most of the blue laws are gone with the exception of Bergen County.

Edited by Baltimatt

8 minutes ago, Baltimatt said:

I think most of the blue laws are gone with the exception of Bergen County.

Guess that hardly anyone goes to church anymore. :D Kidding aside, for better or for worse as the years have progessed..there is no work week much less a work day. Everything is 24/7 and money talks when all is said and done.

we trust in god.....all others pay cash.

Kind of a shame really. Geezing here..... I always thought the Christmas Day was a magical thing....go outside....AND IT IS QUITE...no cars...no horns....no trucks...no hustle and bustle....just the calm sounds of nature. Now, well it is just another day with pretty lights.

Edited by Guido2

I did notice 7-Eleven in Ocean City sells beer.  So I guess that's one exception for whatever reason.

I thought the 7-Eleven at Reisterstown Road and Hooks Lane (just above the Beltway) sold beer.  Did a Street View and didn't see the BEER-WINE sign I recall seeing there.  Maybe someone local can confirm.

8 minutes ago, jonsensback said:

I did notice 7-Eleven in Ocean City sells beer.  So I guess that's one exception for whatever reason.

I have been pretty much all over this nation of ours. But the one thing I always notice is that when a place is able to sell liquor at almost any time....it always seems to be around tourist/resort areas. Again nothing to back it up factually....just a gut thing.

7 minutes ago, Guido2 said:

I have been pretty much all over this nation of ours. But the one thing I always notice is that when a place is able to sell liquor at almost any time....it always seems to be around tourist/resort areas. Again nothing to back it up factually....just a gut thing.

A good part of the nation has been selling beer/alcohol in grocery stores for decades.

Maryland for some reason won't do this throughout the state which a bonus for liquor stores.  

15 minutes ago, Guido2 said:

Except until recently you couldn't get a drink in Garrett County on Sundays, even at restaurants. 

21 minutes ago, Baltimatt said:

I thought the 7-Eleven at Reisterstown Road and Hooks Lane (just above the Beltway) sold beer.  Did a Street View and didn't see the BEER-WINE sign I recall seeing there.  Maybe someone local can confirm.

Royal Farms on Keswick in Hampden sells beer (except on Sundays).  When I was a teenager, the Rite Aid in Hamilton sold beer.

16 minutes ago, Baltimatt said:

Except until recently you couldn't get a drink in Garrett County on Sundays, even at restaurants. 

Yes, I found this out in 2006. Watched a football game at a bar...drinking iced tea.

There is just something inherently wrong with that.