Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Baltimatt

Beer sales at grocery stores

42 posts in this topic

Some Rite Aids in the city and I think one in Westminster have full beer, wine, and liquor licenses.

8 minutes ago, Pickle20 said:

Yes, I found this out in 2006. Watched a football game at a bar...drinking iced tea.

There is just something inherently wrong with that.

:D:D Thanks for the big smile

4 hours ago, johnpolitics said:

I lived in NY where beer is in all the stores. When I first moved here in 1991 I couldn't understand why you couldn't find beer in grocery stores. 

How does that work in the days of customer check out. I would have loved this as a teen. 

2 minutes ago, Rael said:

How does that work in the days of customer check out. I would have loved this as a teen. 

Easy, just ask for ID For self checkout they have people in the area.  In NY before a blizzard you go to Wegmans for Beer and food. 

Just now, johnpolitics said:

Easy, just ask for ID For self checkout they have people in the area.  In NY before a blizzard you go to Wegmans for Beer and food. 

It still has to be easier to escape notice burying a six pack in with a week's worth of groceries. 

28 minutes ago, Rael said:

It still has to be easier to escape notice burying a six pack in with a week's worth of groceries. 

Kind of how I would buy cigarettes from the machines at supermarkets.  They would card if they saw and caught you, but I was quick with the quarters.  B)

1 hour ago, ivanbalt said:

Royal Farms on Keswick in Hampden sells beer (except on Sundays).  When I was a teenager, the Rite Aid in Hamilton sold beer.

Same with the RF in Middle River heading down to the water.

10 minutes ago, ivanbalt said:

Kind of how I would buy cigarettes from the machines at supermarkets.  They would card if they saw and caught you, but I was quick with the quarters.  B)

If your near as old as I am....back then ...you didn't need to be quick....in NJ a quarter a dime....gone.

I didn't smoke....just observed.

6 hours ago, johnpolitics said:

I lived in NY where beer is in all the stores. When I first moved here in 1991 I couldn't understand why you couldn't find beer in grocery stores. 

Lived & worked in NJ, for a few years back in the late '70's. Was surprised seeing Beer & Wine in the Pathmark grocery store. Wish I still collected Cans but I threw them all away. I had Generic white cans with black letters that just said "Beer" and "Light Beer" from there. I Miss my Rheingold!

8 minutes ago, Bartman said:

Lived & worked in NJ, for a few years back in the late '70's. Was surprised seeing Beer & Wine in the Pathmark grocery store. Wish I still collected Cans but I threw them all away. I had Generic white cans with black letters that just said "Beer" and "Light Beer" from there. I Miss my Rheingold!

There was Basics Beer back when those Basic products were coming out.

18 minutes ago, Bartman said:

Thought you would like this trip down memory lane.................enjoy.

I remember staying at a hotel in Ocean City a few years ago and the 7-11 next door sold beer.

2 hours ago, Guido2 said:

Thought you would like this trip down memory lane.................enjoy.

That commercial is just a Tad before my Drinking Age :P but when I was living there Rheingold was still a pretty popular Regional beer. I liked it! I forget who gobbled them up later on. Maybe it was Anheuser Busch. I used to drive past their big place on RT 1-9 every day working at Port Newark/Elizabeth.

My issue with it is that grocery beer selection is generally limited.  Bud, Miller, Corona, Sam Adams, Miller Lite.

33 minutes ago, Bawlmerian said:

My issue with it is that grocery beer selection is generally limited.  Bud, Miller, Corona, Sam Adams, Miller Lite.

It depends on the store. Places like Wegmans and Whole Foods have excellent beer and wine selections.

23 hours ago, jonsensback said:

I did notice 7-Eleven in Ocean City sells beer.  So I guess that's one exception for whatever reason.

The 7-11 at the corner of Route 152 and Pleasantville Road in Harford County sells beer as well. It's also a gas station. 

37 minutes ago, Papi said:

The 7-11 at the corner of Route 152 and Pleasantville Road in Harford County sells beer as well. It's also a gas station. 

I remember that from back in the day.

Also the 7-eleven off of 22 across from the Belair Safeway use to have a beer license long ago but for some reason lost it.