Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
eaglesinsider

Week 2 Scores

243 posts in this topic

Since '06, the Cards are 3-4 v decent MPSSAA playoff teams. A pair of wins over Franklin, and a win over Dunbar, a loss to Wise, a pair of losses to E Tech, and a loss to Severna Park.

Edited by themamba

I've said for years that if you want to create the equivalent of the MIAA A conference you'd have to put the top 6 or 7 publics in the state in one league. Do that and see how good they'd get. Until that happens there are other private schools that have to be in the conversation. It makes no sense to compare 7 of the best privates to 175 public schools.

For this reason Wise is not supposed to blow Calvert Hall out anymore than Gilman or St. Joe are supposed to. The A conference consists of the top private schools in the area who even when they are down are better than the other private schools in the state.

Edited by 85Knight

31 minutes ago, 85Knight said:

I've said for years that if you want to create the equivalent of the MIAA A conference you'd have to put the top 6 or 7 publics in the state in one league. Do that and see how good they'd get. Until that happens there are other private schools that have to be in the conversation. It makes no sense to compare 7 of the best privates to 175 public schools.

For this reason Wise is not supposed to blow Calvert Hall out anymore than Gilman or St. Joe are supposed to. The A conference consists of the top private schools in the area who even when they are down are better than the other private schools in the state.

This equivalence is ignored by the ignorant. There's DeMatha, SFA, then everyone else. Thats it, despite the hype machine. Could you imagine 10 teams, with the same 'we're private, we can do what we want' anthem we often hear here, and go with say, open enrollment - 2 from PG, 2 from MoCo, one from HoCo, one from AACo, one from BalCo, one from the City, one from the Shore, and one from out West. 2 things. One, less would go the private route. Two, 6 of the 7 MIAA teams would likely have their asses handed to them, collectively, by just about every one of these teams.

Edited by themamba

47 minutes ago, themamba said:

Since '06, the Cards are 3-4 v decent MPSSAA playoff teams. A pair of wins over Franklin, and a win over Dunbar, a loss to Wise, a pair of losses to E Tech, and a loss to Severna Park.

I have just one issue with your post. ChC teams with a combined record of 19-16 from 2012-14, beat good, not decent, MPSSAA state champions in 1A Dunbar (13-1) & 3A Franklin (12-2 &13-1). Decent teams don't go 38-4 over a three year period.  State champions do.

check your PM Gu...

1 hour ago, TheGuru said:

I have just one issue with your post. ChC teams with a combined record of 19-16 from 2012-14, beat good, not decent, MPSSAA state champions in 1A Dunbar (13-1) & 3A Franklin (12-2 &13-1). Decent teams don't go 38-4 over a three year period.  State champions do.

I was going to mention that. But then I would have to mention that the 3 losses  were to non-champions, all 3 losing to River Hill in those respective years in the playoffs, two who were beat soundly by the Hawks, after they beat the Cards. River Hill pounded Severna Park, 48-10, in the playoffs, and the Hawks beat E Tech by 3 touchdowns in one final.

As for the 'decent' requirement, I meant at least a decent playoff team. Didn't want to search if New Era or Silver Oak made any playoff appearances or runs in 1A. Don't think so, but even with a playoff win, I don't think anyone would put them in the decent playoff teams category.

The Cards did have 3 very good wins, as you mention. And a respectable loss to Wise this weekend.

I'm not anti-private at all. I'm 'enough of the bull****'. I appreciate the sparse, objective analysis of teams like CHC, MSJ, Spalding, Loyola, and McDonogh, and consider your analysis to be very honest. Aside from that, there is very little of the aforementioned. The rest gets old.

Edited by themamba

3 minutes ago, themamba said:

I was going to mention that. But then I would have to mention that were to non-champions, all 3 losing to River Hill, 2 who were beat soundly by the Hawks. As for the 'decent' requirement, I meant at least a decent playoff team. Didn't want to search if New Era or Silver Oak made any playoff runs in 1A. Don't think so, but even with a playoff win, I don't think anyone would put them in the decent category. The Cards did have 3 very good wins, as you mention. And a respectable loss to Wise. I'm not anti-private at all. I'm 'enough of the bull****'.

I understand.  I'm pro-Calvert Hall and pro-public school football with a little SFA sprinkled in to piss off the good' ol boy hypocrites.

34 minutes ago, themamba said:

This equivalence is ignored by the ignorant. There's DeMatha, SFA, then everyone else. Thats it, despite the hype machine. Could you imagine 10 teams, with the same 'we're private, we can do what we want' anthem we often hear here, and go with say, open enrollment - 2 from PG, 2 from MoCo, one from HoCo, one from AACo, one from BalCo, one from the City, one from the Shore, and one from out West. 2 things. One, less would go the private route. Two, 6 of the 7 MIAA teams would likely have their asses handed to them, collectively, by just about every one of these teams.

Trying to compare publics to privates but only looking at the A conference is foolish. Let the public's create an elite league that can travel and recruit and see how good they'd get. 

Exactly. Thanks for breaking down my same thoughts in 2 sentences.

13 hours ago, eaglesinsider said:

CHC beat Dundalk by 35. DeMatha beat Franklin by 36. Spalding beat Annapolis by 42. Those are all perennial playoff teams from the big classifications getting running-clocked.

I mean no disrespect, but you can't call teams with a handful of successful seasons "perennial playoff teams."  

Let's go back 3 years ago, to 2014:

Dundalk - this was the year before the state finals run... they went 4-6. Highlight of that season was probably beating a 9-1 Patapsco team that failed to make the playoffs because they played a Baltimore County Division III schedule.

Annapolis - they went 5-5 that year... backtrack two more years... back-to-back 1-9 seasons.

Like I stated in an earlier post... Nearly all of Baltimore County is down this year, and the only somewhat "perennial" playoff team in the big classifications in the county right now would be Franklin.

Lots of people taking it personal that best teams in MD are top privates.  Period.  There are many reasons for that and so many great players and teams that are public.  However, Damatha, St.Johns, Gonzaga, SFA, McDonogh, Spalding will whip the best publics 9 out of 10 years.  Those individual teams have more D1 commits then entire counties and conferences. Yes, they are recruited.  Yes, they are reclassed, yes, they travel out of state to play nationally ranked teams.  And the vast majority of private kids all come from a town in MD that feeds a public high school.  Some are awful, some pretty darn good.  But none play the consistently tough, battle tested schedule that these privates do.  Why do you think so many colleges pick up the majority of their recruits from these teams.  My county had 0 players from small B privates to publics go to Division 1 programs last year and that's the norm.  These are facts.  Like them or not.

What county are you in

6 minutes ago, Bully said:

Lots of people taking it personal that best teams in MD are top privates.  Period.  There are many reasons for that and so many great players and teams that are public.  However, Damatha, St.Johns, Gonzaga, SFA, McDonogh, Spalding will whip the best publics 9 out of 10 years.  Those individual teams have more D1 commits then entire counties and conferences. Yes, they are recruited.  Yes, they are reclassed, yes, they travel out of state to play nationally ranked teams.  And the vast majority of private kids all come from a town in MD that feeds a public high school.  Some are awful, some pretty darn good.  But none play the consistently tough, battle tested schedule that these privates do.  Why do you think so many colleges pick up the majority of their recruits from these teams.  My county had 0 players from small B privates to publics go to Division 1 programs last year and that's the norm.  These are facts.  Like them or not.

9 minutes ago, Bully said:

Only team on your list that should be mention with the phrase "9 out of 10 years" is DeMatha. Those other teams don't have that sort of history. When you speak decade and programs for Privates, there's only 3 schools that can be mentioned. And that's, Gilman, DeMatha and Good Counsel. 

Edited by GREYHOUND ALUM

Yes but my point is not specific privates.  Just the top 5-6 privates of that year.

33 minutes ago, Bully said:

Bull, you can so easily say DeMatha, St John's, Gonzaga, SFA, McDonogh, and Spalding will whip the best publics 9 out of 10 years because they haven't played for 10-years.  BUT BUT BUT, the last time I saw Spalding live was them getting their @zz literally kicked by DouglassPG who started a freshman QB who played his first varsity game.  The others you name unlike Calvert Hall just don't play publics, not a solid history of doing so.  Let me refresh what that public school with a freshman QB did to your name top A conference Spalding.  See the video below and note three plays Spalding were torched like they were a C conference Bush League team.  See clip at .23, 1.08, and look at the crazy belly pull at 3.48 that literally had THE ENTIRE Spalding team chasing the wrong player.  There are some serious ballers and teams in the publics and not the same ole same old usual suspects seen year to year to year to year in the private, all two to four of you all.  Hell the public team I'm showing you below went to states back-to-back but faced a buzz saw in some rural boys from Middletown who went a couple years undefeated.  Think what Middletown would have done to Spalding then!!  Just sit back and see the plays against your best Spalding against some Neighborhoodies I referenced above, especially the play at 3:48 --- SICK:

http://www.hudl.com/video/3/1489023/5721ac0d9a91677e746568fe

Edited by DayWalker

20 hours ago, city40blast said:

I truthfully think he will play more wr/db then qb but will have a package for him to run 

Getting him back at db would be huge this week. 

1 hour ago, 85Knight said:

Getting him back at db would be huge this week. 

At the right time lol

5 hours ago, themamba said:

Completely agree!

Also a lot of privates benefit from the rules of the publics. Especially more recently in DC and its WCAC counterparts.