Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hst2

Trump’s Congressional Allies Are Trying to Manipulate the Steele Dossier to Undercut the Russia Investigation

206 posts in this topic

Rep. Devin Nunes’ renewed role is troubling, Democratic lawmakers tell Mother Jones.

As the Trump-Russia scandal expands, Republicans responsible for leading investigations into the matter have consistently pursued angles that critics say are designed to undermine the investigation and distract attention from the main issue: Russia’s covert interference in the 2016 election and interactions between the Trump campaign and Vladimir Putin’s regime.

Last week, House Intelligence Committee Chairman Devin Nunes (R-Calif.) joined in a key component of that GOP effort: attempts to deflect attention by focusing on what’s known as the Steele dossier. These are the memos written during the campaign by a veteran British intelligence official that included allegations that the Kremlin had sought to cultivate and co-opt Trump, in part by collecting compromising information on him, and that his campaign secretly exchanged information with Moscow.

It may seem odd that Republicans believe going after the Steele memos, which included salacious allegations about Trump, is a way to help the president. But they appear to have two goals: to suggest the Steele memos were actually cooked up by the Russian government—and thus are proof that Moscow did not favor Trump in 2016—and to undercut the FBI’s Russia investigation by linking its origins to the Steele memos.  

TREY GOWDY’S WAR ON THE STEELE DOSSIER

Trey Gowdy, a South Carolina Republican, has claimed the subpoenas were necessary because the F.B.I. and D.O.J. haven’t cooperated with the committee’s less-formal requests. Some of his colleagues, however, believe they see a darker motive. “It’s an attempt to both delegitimize the dossier and delegitimize the F.B.I., particularly the work that was done under James Comey,” says Jim Himes, a Connecticut congressman who is the committee’s second-ranking Democrat. If Gowdy, who was in the running to be named U.S. attorney general by Trump, and his allies can tar the F.B.I.’s efforts as being founded in a political attack on Trump, it could help muddy the integrity of Mueller’s conclusions if the special counsel draws from the same pool of sources. (Gowdy could not be reached for comment.) “This is the latest installment of ‘don’t look there, look over here!’ ” Himes says.

Why all this new high-stakes maneuvering? Time and events have bolstered the dossier’s credibility. “The outline of Russian interference in the election that Steele had assembled by June 2016 was months ahead of what anybody else had gathered,” says John Sipher, a 28-year veteran C.I.A. officer who was stationed in Moscow at the same time Steele worked for British intelligence in Russia, and who wrote a detailed analysis of the dossier’s credibility for the blog JustSecurity. “Steele had raw, contemporaneous reports about meetings prior to June, and predicted stuff in the future he would have had no way to know. There’s some weird stuff in there, and things that can’t be verified. But Steele’s report identified multiple elements of the Russian operation including a cyber campaign, leaked documents related to Hillary Clinton, and meetings with Trump affiliates to discuss the receipt of stolen documents well before there was any public knowledge of these events. And the notion that the F.B.I. brought Steele in and was willing to pay him means they took his information seriously and that maybe it fit with some of the other things the bureau had collected.”

Gowdy’s tactics could have multiple ramifications for Mueller. “If you really have people who are seeking to undermine the F.B.I’.s investigation, even if they’re doing it for their own political reasons, it will help the Russians,” says Asha Rangappa, a former special F.B.I. agent who is now a dean at Yale’s law school. “There might be parts of the dossier that the F.B.I. has corroborated independently, and if you have a leaky committee, the Russians can try to cover their tracks and fabricate things to say, ‘Hey, that’s not true.’ They are not above that.”

Borrrrrrrr-rrrrrrrringggg

Still, to date, nobody has given proof let alone - defined - what is meant by Russian interference with our election.

26 minutes ago, Balmerboh said:

Borrrrrrrr-rrrrrrrringggg

Still, to date, nobody has given proof let alone - defined - what is meant by Russian interference with our election.

see if you can read this and then ask about proof....you must live under a bridge....

https://globalsecurityreview.com/russia-manipulated-u-s-voters-social-media/

https://www.wired.com/story/facebook-may-have-more-russian-troll-farms-to-worry-about/

and there are hundreds more-- try the keywords Russian Bots 2016 Election.....

Literally nothing but theories.  It's like saying Russians were "proactive" with social media, and were "outside the box" with themes for Trump to win.  Cliche'd gobbledygook and nothing to indicate "interference" with an election. 

48 minutes ago, Balmerboh said:

Literally nothing but theories.  It's like saying Russians were "proactive" with social media, and were "outside the box" with themes for Trump to win.  Cliche'd gobbledygook and nothing to indicate "interference" with an election. 

Yeah, but why are Republican Congressmen working to undermine the investigation?

"Julian Borger, world affairs editor for The Guardian, talks with Rachel Maddow about why a staffer to Rep. Devin Nunes sent people to London to find Christopher Steele, the author of the Trump dossier, and why he didn't tell investigators what he was doing."

Link

Very odd.

Edited by hst2

3 hours ago, Balmerboh said:

those aren't theories.....

http://www.chicagotribune.com/bluesky/technology/ct-facebook-russia-20170906-story.html

Facebook officials reported that they traced the ad sales, totaling $100,000, to a Russian "troll farm" with a history of pushing pro-Kremlin propaganda, these people said.

A small portion of the ads, which began in the summer of 2015, directly named Republican nominee Donald Trump and Democrat Hillary Clinton, the people said, though they declined to say which candidate the ads favored.

Most of the ads, according to a blog post published late Wednesday by Facebook's chief security officer, Alex Stamos, "appeared to focus on amplifying divisive social and political messages across the ideological spectrum - touching on topics from LGBT matters to race issues to immigration to gun rights."

http://money.cnn.com/2017/09/06/media/facebook-russia-ads-2016-election/index.html

"In reviewing the ads buys, we have found approximately $100,000 in ad spending from June of 2015 to May of 2017 — associated with roughly 3,000 ads — that was connected to about 470 inauthentic accounts and Pages in violation of our policies," Facebook Chief Security Officer Alex Stamos said in a statement.

"Our analysis suggests these accounts and Pages were affiliated with one another and likely operated out of Russia," Stamos said.

and then take this information and read this:

http://ssi.armywarcollege.edu/pubs/parameters/issues/Winter_2015-16/9_Monaghan.pdf

In sum, Russian hybrid warfare as widely understood in the West represents a method of operating that relies on proxies and surrogates to prevent attribution and intent, and to maximize confusion and uncertainty. Conventional force is often obliquely mentioned as a supplementary feature, but the main feature of hybrid warfare is that it remains below the threshold of the clear use of armed force. Hybrid warfare is thus tantamount to a range of hostile actions of which military force is only a small part, or “measures short of war” that seek to deceive, undermine, subvert, influence and destabilize societies, to coerce or replace sovereign governments and to disrupt or alter an existing regional order.

I brought this up months ago and apparently it is too much heavy reading for those like you who want to remain uninformed

The Russian influence campaign was real and very effective....your denial of the truth shows how effective it really is....

not theories, proof....accept it for what it is.. 

Edited by can you hear me now!

30 minutes ago, mcorioles said:

LOL,let me know when something comes of it.

What is impressive is the corruption of Trump and his family that we have seen right out in the open, and the corruption of House Republicans in trying to undermine the investigation. Which begs the question, what is your definition of "when something comes of it"?

Edited by hst2

3 minutes ago, hst2 said:

What is impressive is the corruption of Trump and his family that we have seen right out in the open, and the corruption of House Republicans in trying to undermine the investigation. Which begs the question, what is your definition of "when something comes of it"?

Probably very similar to corruption Clinton and his/her family we have seen right out in the open.

Which begs the question,what is your definition of "when something comes of it".?

What Trump corruption?

How many destroyed phones and servers have been reported about Trump?

Edited by mcorioles

Just now, mcorioles said:

Probably very similar to corruption Clinton and his/her family we have seen right out in the open.

Which begs the question,what us your definition of "when something comes of it".?

What Trump corruption?

Trump's using Russian email leaks in his campaign, Trump encouraging Russia to hack emails. Trump doing nothing when told his National Security Adviser was compromised, Trump asking the FBI director to not investigate Flynn, Trump firing the FBI director for investigating his administration, Trump lying about his reason for firing the FBI director, Trump's  son meeting with a foreign, adversarial government to get dirt on a political opponent, Trump lying about his son's meeting with a foreign adversarial government, Trump looking for a better deal for Putin while trying to do a Russian business deal,  Trump receiving money from foreign governments through his business, Trump selling access through memberships in his country clubs, Trump lying about Obama wiretapping him, Trump releasing classified information to smear and Obama administration official...

These are the ones that just some to mind.

2 minutes ago, hst2 said:

Trump's using Russian email leaks in his campaign, Trump encouraging Russia to hack emails. Trump doing nothing when told his National Security Adviser was compromised, Trump asking the FBI director to not investigate Flynn, Trump firing the FBI director for investigating his administration, Trump lying about his reason for firing the FBI director, Trump's  son meeting with a foreign, adversarial government to get dirt on a political opponent, Trump lying about his son's meeting with a foreign adversarial government, Trump looking for a better deal for Putin while trying to do a Russian business deal,  Trump receiving money from foreign governments through his business, Trump selling access through memberships in his country clubs, Trump lying about Obama wiretapping him, Trump releasing classified information to smear and Obama administration official...

These are the ones that just some to mind.

How many are facts?

Just now, mcorioles said:

How many are facts?

All of them.

12 hours ago, can you hear me now! said:

those aren't theories.....

http://www.chicagotribune.com/bluesky/technology/ct-facebook-russia-20170906-story.html

Facebook officials reported that they traced the ad sales, totaling $100,000, to a Russian "troll farm" with a history of pushing pro-Kremlin propaganda, these people said.

A small portion of the ads, which began in the summer of 2015, directly named Republican nominee Donald Trump and Democrat Hillary Clinton, the people said, though they declined to say which candidate the ads favored.

Most of the ads, according to a blog post published late Wednesday by Facebook's chief security officer, Alex Stamos, "appeared to focus on amplifying divisive social and political messages across the ideological spectrum - touching on topics from LGBT matters to race issues to immigration to gun rights."

http://money.cnn.com/2017/09/06/media/facebook-russia-ads-2016-election/index.html

"In reviewing the ads buys, we have found approximately $100,000 in ad spending from June of 2015 to May of 2017 — associated with roughly 3,000 ads — that was connected to about 470 inauthentic accounts and Pages in violation of our policies," Facebook Chief Security Officer Alex Stamos said in a statement.

"Our analysis suggests these accounts and Pages were affiliated with one another and likely operated out of Russia," Stamos said.

and then take this information and read this:

http://ssi.armywarcollege.edu/pubs/parameters/issues/Winter_2015-16/9_Monaghan.pdf

In sum, Russian hybrid warfare as widely understood in the West represents a method of operating that relies on proxies and surrogates to prevent attribution and intent, and to maximize confusion and uncertainty. Conventional force is often obliquely mentioned as a supplementary feature, but the main feature of hybrid warfare is that it remains below the threshold of the clear use of armed force. Hybrid warfare is thus tantamount to a range of hostile actions of which military force is only a small part, or “measures short of war” that seek to deceive, undermine, subvert, influence and destabilize societies, to coerce or replace sovereign governments and to disrupt or alter an existing regional order.

I brought this up months ago and apparently it is too much heavy reading for those like you who want to remain uninformed

The Russian influence campaign was real and very effective....your denial of the truth shows how effective it really is....

not theories, proof....accept it for what it is.. 

I like this, Facebook fesses up when it found out but at the time loved the ad money.

6 minutes ago, mcorioles said:

Not really

Yeah, really. And if the Republicans have the same attitude towards this as you, ad there is no reason top suspect they don't, nothing will happen and you will continue to crow that "nothing has come of it" except that we will have come to  accept the most corrupt administration in this nation's history. We pretty much already have.

15 hours ago, hst2 said:

Yeah, but why are Republican Congressmen working to undermine the investigation?

"Julian Borger, world affairs editor for The Guardian, talks with Rachel Maddow about why a staffer to Rep. Devin Nunes sent people to London to find Christopher Steele, the author of the Trump dossier, and why he didn't tell investigators what he was doing."

Link

Very odd.

I just can't believe you aren't using this opportunity to blame the US for interfering in the elections of other countries hst2.

17 minutes ago, hst2 said:

Yeah, really. And if the Republicans have the same attitude towards this as you, ad there is no reason top suspect they don't, nothing will happen and you will continue to crow that "nothing has come of it" except that we will have come to  accept the most corrupt administration in this nation's history. We pretty much already have.

I can't even take you seriously.

27 minutes ago, stevez51 said:

I like this, Facebook fesses up when it found out but at the time loved the ad money.

$100,000 is big money to Zuckerman 🙄. 

Are you under the impression that FB investigates every chump change ad buy?

1 hour ago, flyboy56 said:

I just can't believe you aren't using this opportunity to blame the US for interfering in the elections of other countries hst2.

Probably the most disgracefully thing about this whole episode is right-wingers like yourself condoning the surreptitious meddling of a foreign adversary in our elections. Its frightening to think how far you are willing to go.

Personally I think trump should be impeached

What to you think-?

1 hour ago, mcorioles said:

I can't even take you seriously.

"Trump circumvented Internal Revenue Service (IRS) rules by routing the money through a charitable entity, the Donald J Trump Foundation, which is prohibited by law from making political donations. More controversially, however, Bondi’s office was at the time mulling whether to join a New York state probe into allegations that customers who paid thousands of dollars to Trump University, Trump’s for-profit education company, for a real estate investment course were ripped off. Just days after Trump’s donation arrived, Bondi dropped her investigation into the alleged fraud, citing “insufficient grounds” to proceed."

Link

You, and other voters were willing to overlook Trump's corruption regarding his illegal campaign contributions tainted with suggestions of bribery in a matter concerning his fraud.

I wouldn't expect you to take it seriously now.

Well, you asked, I told, and there we are.

Trump is president because Russia and others hacked into our electoral system manipulating the data. They also flooded our media with “false” accusations of misconduct by Hillary and associates. It was and is being proven to be from foreign sabotage.

Folks, Hillary is going to run again. And when she is elected, she will drain the swamp dry.

Edited by tooldtocare

20 minutes ago, hst2 said:

"Trump circumvented Internal Revenue Service (IRS) rules by routing the money through a charitable entity, the Donald J Trump Foundation, which is prohibited by law from making political donations. More controversially, however, Bondi’s office was at the time mulling whether to join a New York state probe into allegations that customers who paid thousands of dollars to Trump University, Trump’s for-profit education company, for a real estate investment course were ripped off. Just days after Trump’s donation arrived, Bondi dropped her investigation into the alleged fraud, citing “insufficient grounds” to proceed."

Link

You, and other voters were willing to overlook Trump's corruption regarding his illegal campaign contributions tainted with suggestions of bribery in a matter concerning his fraud.

I wouldn't expect you to take it seriously now.

Well, you asked, I told, and there we are.

And others say the same about Hillary and Bill and your furious defense .

Did I miss something? Didn't Nunes recuse himself from the Russian investigation after his leaks were exposed?

All forgiven?

Jesus H Christ. I can't take much more swamp draining.

Edited by ms maggie

27 minutes ago, mcorioles said:

And others say the same about Hillary and Bill and your furious defense .

What difference does it make what "others say"?  You are simply rationalizing rampant corruption.

Its amazing how low you have allowed Trump to take you.