Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
can you hear me now!

More Hypocrisy from the Party of Family Values

155 posts in this topic

just another example of do as I say not as I do.....obviously following the Trump rules for a successful marriage

http://www.post-gazette.com/news/politics-nation/2017/09/06/Murphy-issues-statement-on-extramartial-affair/stories/201709060182?

Congressman Tim Murphy publicly admitted Wednesday to having an extramarital affair with a personal friend, issuing a statement about the relationship hours after the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette prevailed in a court motion to unseal a divorce action.

Mr. Murphy, R-Upper St. Clair, is not a party to the divorce. However, the husband in the case, Jesse Sally, a sports medicine physician, sought in July to depose the congressman as part of his divorce from Shannon Edwards, a forensic psychologist.

Mr. Murphy, 64, who is in his eighth term in Congress, is a practicing psychologist and is married with an adult daughter. Ms. Edwards, 32, has a doctoral degree, and her practice involves significant work within the Allegheny County court system, performing evaluations of defendants in criminal and child custody cases.

10 hours ago, WhatintheHell said:

Boring

No need to be too hard on yourself now. 

Wonder why our resident Hypocrisy Exposer didn't notice this one?

Edited by Heisenberg

Maybe we need someone to go searching for Democrats getting divorces over extramarital affairs, just for balance? The suggestion that only Republicans fool around is really silly, don't most of us think? 

For everyone's reading pleasure, here's Wikipedia's list of political sex scandals over the years:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_federal_political_sex_scandals_in_the_United_States

Looks like over the years folks from all parties have dallied. :lol:

5 minutes ago, Papi said:

Maybe we need someone to go searching for Democrats getting divorces over extramarital affairs, just for balance? The suggestion that only Republicans fool around is really silly, don't most of us think? 

For everyone's reading pleasure, here's Wikipedia's list of political sex scandals over the years:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_federal_political_sex_scandals_in_the_United_States

Looks like over the years folks from all parties have dallied. :lol:

I don't think you'll get any disagreement on that, the issue here is that a lot of the Republicans that get caught doing this like preaching (and legislating) in favor of "family values", making them... you guessed it....slimy hypocrites. 

Edited by Heisenberg

11 minutes ago, Heisenberg said:

I don't think you'll get any disagreement on that, the issue here is that a lot of the Republicans that get caught doing this like preaching (and legislating) in favor of "family values", making them... you guessed it....slimy hypocrites. 

So there are no Democrats who think family values are a good thing? Do they preach that married people screwing around is a positive value? I doubt it. There are undoubtedly hypocritical individuals who are in the "do as I say, not as I do" camp, but I don't believe that either political party (or any religion, for that matter) has cornered that market. :D

Just now, Papi said:

So there are no Democrats who think family values are a good thing? Do they preach that married people screwing around is a positive value? I doubt it. There are undoubtedly hypocritical individuals who are in the "do as I say, not as I do" camp, but I don't believe that either political party (or any religion, for that matter) has cornered that market. :D

Look, it's generally a Republican talking point, especially in TV ads. Of course Dems have family values but they are less open about it in politics. "Family values" is just politispeak for social comservatism anyway. 

2 minutes ago, Papi said:

The point I think is that the Republicans made "family values" a party platform the Democrats did not.  Nobody disputes the fact that there are slimy people in both parties but only the Republican party advertises that they are the party of "family values" that they are better than the other party.

3 minutes ago, mrsmlh said:

The point I think is that the Republicans made "family values" a party platform the Democrats did not.  Nobody disputes the fact that there are slimy people in both parties but only the Republican party advertises that they are the party of "family values" that they are better than the other party.

Well done.

;)

12 minutes ago, Papi said:

family values are a good thing.....telling people to live by them but ignore them yourself is a really quick way to be labeled a hypocrite....now, if you belong to a large group (say a political party) and your party claims to be the party of family values (which the repugnicans have done) and this behavior is common place within your organization, well then it makes sense to label the whole group a bunch of do as I say, not as I do hypocrites....

adultery is apolitical and generally comes from a lack of impulse control....however, when one group claims to hold the moral high ground over another group, but yet ignores their claimed "moral superiority"....you'll get same reactions like mine....

Edited by can you hear me now!

12 minutes ago, mrsmlh said:

I don't see the "family values" issue as seeking to make the party look better at all. I see it as promoting certain traditional values that would be a positive for everyone that used to be held up as good, some of which are seriously attacked today by others.

In reality, the "family values" issue is (in large part) a repeat of what Daniel Patrick Moynihan talked about in his published works decades ago, since what he described as a crisis in the decline of nuclear black families is equally applicable today to the lack of family structure across all races and economic groups. And he was a prominent Democrat. 

Just now, Papi said:

I don't see the "family values" issue as seeking to make the party look better at all. I see it as promoting certain traditional values that would be a positive for everyone that used to be held up as good, some of which are seriously attacked today by others.

In reality, the "family values" issue is (in large part) a repeat of what Daniel Patrick Moynihan talked about in his published works decades ago, since what he described as a crisis in the decline of nuclear black families is equally applicable today to the lack of family structure across all races and economic groups. And he was a prominent Democrat. 

The Republicans are the only party that is, in fact, saying that their values are better, that they are the only party standing up for the moral values of yesteryear.  The Republicans actually said that they were the party of "family values" and that the Democrats had no values.  The entire time Bill Clinton was being investigated for his sex with Monica that was all The Republicans kept saying yet there own people were doing the same thing at the time.   

32 minutes ago, can you hear me now! said:

family values are a good thing.....telling people to live by them but ignore them yourself is a really quick way to be labeled a hypocrite....now, if you belong to a large group (say a political party) and your party claims to be the party of family values (which the repugnicans have done) and this behavior is common place within your organization, well then it makes sense to label the whole group a bunch of do as I say, not as I do hypocrites....

adultery is apolitical and generally comes from a lack of impulse control....however, when one group claims to hold the moral high ground over another group, but yet ignores their claimed "moral superiority"....you'll get same reactions like mine....

Where we disagree is on the issue of whether failure to live up to the "family values" is more commonplace among Republicans (notice the correct spelling) than among any other group. 

Individuals doing bad or stupid things should not brand the entire groups that such individuals happen to be a part of as all (or even most) having the same failings. It's called sterotyping, and it makse no sense to label a whole group in any way at all based on sterotyping. You suggesting we should do so about Republicans is just as bad as those who would suggest we do it about racial, ethnic, or religious groups.

As to the issue of "moral superiority", it seems to me that left leaning folks tend to claim that far more than conservatives tend to do. The good professor's long epistles over race are a fine example, seen here on pretty much a daily basis.:P 

Edited by Papi

2 minutes ago, mrsmlh said:

The Republicans are the only party that is, in fact, saying that their values are better, that they are the only party standing up for the moral values of yesteryear.  The Republicans actually said that they were the party of "family values" and that the Democrats had no values.  The entire time Bill Clinton was being investigated for his sex with Monica that was all The Republicans kept saying yet there own people were doing the same thing at the time.   

I just am saying that we should not apply the behavior (good or bad) of individuals to the entire party to which they belong. That goes for either party. To the extent that members of the Republican party would suggest that Democrats have "no" values I would say they are just as wrong to do so as those who would like to indict all Republicans because of the negative behavior of some Republicans. Neither makes any sense.

2 minutes ago, Papi said:

I just am saying that we should not apply the behavior (good or bad) of individuals to the entire party to which they belong. That goes for either party. To the extent that members of the Republican party would suggest that Democrats have "no" values I would say they are just as wrong to do so as those who would like to indict all Republicans because of the negative behavior of some Republicans. Neither makes any sense.

Correct neither makes sense but the Republicans are the ones who actually advertise it.  Their ads scream it.    The Republicans are the ones saying that the Democrats are anti-Christian by promoting the "War on Christmas", are anti-family values by promoting same-sex marriages, etc.  If they don't want the party being judged by the actions of a few then maybe they shouldn't publicize that they are the party of values and that the Democrats lack values.

21 minutes ago, Papi said:

Except it is used to attack gay people, drive them back into the closet, and hurt their families.

1 hour ago, Papi said:

The 'it takes a village' Democrats want someone else to do and pay for everything it takes to raise a family....that is their family values. 

48 minutes ago, Baltimatt said:

Except it is used to attack gay people, drive them back into the closet, and hurt their families.

Is that what this guy did?

19 minutes ago, RileyMartin said:

The 'it takes a village' Democrats want someone else to do and pay for everything it takes to raise a family....that is their family values. 

And by the same token, the Republicans who want to take foods stamps and any and all other help away from the poor are showing their true family values.

23 minutes ago, Sprightly said:

Is that what this guy did?

I was responding to Papi's comment, but here's Rep. Murphy's record:

http://www.ontheissues.org/PA/Tim_Murphy.htm

• Voted NO on reauthorizing the Violence Against Women Act. (Feb 2013)
  • Voted NO on prohibiting job discrimination based on sexual orientation. (Nov 2007)
  • Voted YES on Constitutionally defining marriage as one-man-one-woman. (Jul 2006)
  • Voted YES on making the PATRIOT Act permanent. (Dec 2005)
  • Voted YES on Constitutional Amendment banning same-sex marriage. (Sep 2004)
  • Voted YES on protecting the Pledge of Allegiance. (Sep 2004)
  • Voted YES on constitutional amendment prohibiting flag desecration. (Jun 2003)
  • Rated 0% by the HRC, indicating an anti-gay-rights stance. (Dec 2006)
  • Rated 33% by the NAACP, indicating an anti-affirmative-action stance. (Dec 2006)

I have only one question.

Someone please explain to me what a 32 year old women sees in a 64 year old man? Regardless of party.

38 minutes ago, Guido2 said:

Someone please explain to me what a 32 year old women sees in a 64 year old man? Regardless of party.

Could be power, money or he has a big .

44 minutes ago, Guido2 said:

What does Melania see in Donald?

Hopefully a prenup free marriage.

;)

2 hours ago, Baltimatt said:

Some try to use it that way, which is unfortunate.

Personally I am in favor of two-parent households regardless of gender. Single parenting is a very tough thing to do well, although some single parents manage to pull it off with great success, and kudos to them for that. But far too many single parents find themselves in very tough situations that a two-parent family structure can more easily avoid.