Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
eaglesinsider

Week 3 Schedule/Predictions

193 posts in this topic

10 minutes ago, 85Knight said:

Calling Dundalk a potential playoff team might be a bit of a stretch this season.

I didn't do the potential playoff team twist. I've got no clue what a "potential" playoff team means. We've kind of entered the twilight zone on this one. 

Just now, Silverbullet said:

I didn't do the potential playoff team twist. I've got no clue what a "potential" playoff team means. We've kind of entered the twilight zone on this one. 

I know that's a tough call but if you leave out playoff teams there are a lot more matchups out there.

31 minutes ago, 85Knight said:

Calling Dundalk a potential playoff team might be a bit of a stretch this season.

Not really.  Dundalk is projected to right now to finish 6th of 13 teams and 1 point out from the 4th.  An unexpected win and loss or forfeit and the other typical things that occur and Dundalk could be in for a one and done.  You never know Knight...  I call that potential and not an unreasonable stretch.

4 minutes ago, DayWalker said:

Not really.  Dundalk is projected to right now to finish 6th of 13 teams and 1 point out from the 4th.  An unexpected win and loss or forfeit and the other typical things that occur and Dundalk could be in for a one and done.  You never know Knight...  I call that potential and not an unreasonable stretch.

Maybe we can start a new thread and keep a running total of projected thru actual MPSSAA playoff teams v privates and just update it each week. Sorta like Guru and the QB thing. If Dundalk pops back in to the projections JMT supplies, we can update. For example, if Dundalk moves into the 4 seed, the privates rise to 2-6. That way we don't inundate this thread with the running total that stands at Publics 6, Privates 1. We can have the privateers man a Dundalk weekly update post each week. 

1 hour ago, 85Knight said:

You beat me to it. I was just about to post about Linganore and Tuscarora vs. Curley. Not only did you all forget about those games but they don't count in the minds of some people who argue on the private side. In their minds private means MIAA A and WCAC which is delusional. 

I honestly think we're seeing a lot more balance this year because the start times were closer and a lot of games are coming after week 1 with both  teams having games under their belts.

Delusional was the word I was looking for.

1 hour ago, DayWalker said:

Fair enough. Looks like Mamba is establishing the house rules.

2 minutes ago, 85Knight said:

Fair enough. Looks like Mamba is establishing the house rules.

I'm not establishing any rules, particularily for anyone else. Felt like it was a good baseline to me. Didn't know what it would be. Thought it would be close to even. 

4 minutes ago, themamba said:

I'm not establishing any rules, particularily for anyone else. Felt like it was a good baseline to me. Didn't know what it would be. Thought it would be close to even. 

There are a lot of variables and ways to look at it but I think a couple of weeks in overall the results are a little bit surprising. I know we never kept a tally in the past but maybe we're seeing a little bit of a trend here. Time will tell.

So when I think of public vs private. I think of the elite private programs vs the elite public programs. Franklin at DeMatha was a representation of that example. Outside of the elite private programs in MD, public vs private is a 50/50 ball.Public school athletes  make up the vast majority of NCAA  and NFL football players. Attending elite private schools will get you seen early and maybe offered early before actually playing, however at some point you will have to produce on the field.At the end of the day if you can ball public or private you will get a shot at the next level.

1 hour ago, 85Knight said:

There are a lot of variables and ways to look at it but I think a couple of weeks in overall the results are a little bit surprising. I know we never kept a tally in the past but maybe we're seeing a little bit of a trend here. Time will tell.

Last year, the public playoff teams v private final tally was 7-3, in favor of the publics, among the 48 MPSSAA 2A-4A playoff teams. Not sure if its a trend as much as it shows reality and how it compares to unadulterated buffoonery.

Edited by themamba

15 minutes ago, TerpsD said:

So when I think of public vs private. I think of the elite private programs vs the elite public programs. Franklin at DeMatha was a representation of that example. Outside of the elite private programs in MD, public vs private is a 50/50 ball.Public school athletes  make up the vast majority of NCAA  and NFL football players. Attending elite private schools will get you seen early and maybe offered early before actually playing, however at some point you will have to produce on the field.At the end of the day if you can ball public or private you will get a shot at the next level.

Nope, that's where you are a little faulty.  Publics are all public teams and Privates are all teams private teams.  The NFL is not just the Ravens or Redskins but all its teams.  Now I know its very "convenient" for privates to wish to ssshhhhh its MIAA B and particularly its C members into a corner to not see the light of day like I suspect how Curely is viewed among them now and the WCAC may do so with it new B conference but they all are part and partial of the whole.  They are your babies so you must rock them like publics rock and roll with all of theirs no matter what.

Private schools will not necessarily or always get one seen early and maybe offered early.  Remember DeMatha WR Paul Harris?  He left DeMatha after his sophomore season and enrolled at DouglassPG starting his junior year.  He had 0 offers coming out of HyTown.  He departed Douglass as an early grad after the first semester his senior year with 20-plus offers.

There is no one size fit all when it comes to college recruitment in that this will happen if you do that, these, and those.  It's an ordered chaos affair.  I recall former UMD coach Ralph Frriedgen went a game at Friendly to look over one of his recruits and spotted another player who had no offers and Fridge offered that kid.  I recall being in a parking lot waiting on a friend Shepherd U coach to come out of the stadium and a guy walked up to the coach and handed him a highlights DVD.  My friend the coach took the DVD and just toss it on the back seat.  We stopped somewhere and my man departed the car for a bit and I grabbed the DVD and was watching it on a player in the car.  My man returned and glanced over at the DVD for bit, turned off the running car, and watched the entire highlights.  Let me just fast forward to say that player was at Shepherd do a workout a couple days later and was offered and he committed right then and there.  That player went on to have nice college football 4-year career at SU.

15 minutes ago, DayWalker said:

Nope, that's where you are a little faulty.  Publics are all public teams and Privates are all teams private teams.  The NFL is not just the Ravens or Redskins but all its teams.  Now I know its very "convenient" for privates to wish to ssshhhhh its MIAA B and particularly its C members into a corner to not see the light of day like I suspect how Curely is viewed among them now and the WCAC may do so with it new B conference but they all are part and partial of the whole.  They are your babies so you must rock them like publics rock and roll with all of theirs no matter what.

Private schools will not necessarily or always get one seen early and maybe offered early.  Remember DeMatha WR Paul Harris?  He left DeMatha after his sophomore season and enrolled at DouglassPG starting his junior year.  He had 0 offers coming out of HyTown.  He departed Douglass as an early grad after the first semester his senior year with 20-plus offers.

There is no one size fit all when it comes to college recruitment in that this will happen if you do that, these, and those.  It's an ordered chaos affair.  I recall former UMD coach Ralph Frriedgen went a game at Friendly to look over one of his recruits and spotted another player who had no offers and Fridge offered that kid.  I recall being in a parking lot waiting on a friend Shepherd U coach to come out of the stadium and a guy walked up to the coach and handed him a highlights DVD.  My friend the coach took the DVD and just toss it on the back seat.  We stopped somewhere and my man departed the car for a bit and I grabbed the DVD and was watching it on a player in the car.  My man returned and glanced over at the DVD for bit, turned off the running car, and watched the entire highlights.  Let me just fast forward to say that player was at Shepherd do a workout a couple days later and was offered and he committed right then and there.  That player went on to have nice college football 4-year career at SU.

Paul was clearly a D1 prospect as early as the 8th grade. Bad example using Paul who was 6'1" or better as a eight grader. Paul had several D1 offers before he left DM. Not to mention you don't know the facts about Paul and why he chose to leave DM, which I will not discuss on this forum. 

Just now, TerpsD said:

Paul was clearly a D1 prospect as early as the 8th grade. Bad example using Paul who was 6'1" or better as a eight grader. Paul had several D1 offers before he left DM. Not to mention you don't know the facts about Paul and why he chose to leave DM, which I will not discuss on this forum. 

You need not discuss Paul ( Alphonzo ) with me TerpD.  I know him very well including his mom T who is a teacher at the school a couple of my relatives attended years ago.  Paul played youth ball with The U Mustangs with some of my peeps and was coached by some I know very well.  He may have been a prospect in your book but as I said NO OFFERS coming out of DeMatha in anyone's books.  That occurred after his junior season when he played and not in a sling at DM.  And I do know the reasons he decided to leave DeMatha they shed no tears over and it worked out good for him high school football related.  And Demory followed right behind Paul I knew was going to happen in talking with his dad D.

6 minutes ago, DayWalker said:

You need not discuss Paul ( Alphonzo ) with me TerpD.  I know him very well including his mom T who is a teacher at the school a couple of my relatives attended years ago.  Paul played youth ball with The U Mustangs with some of my peeps and was coached by some I know very well.  He may have been a prospect in your book but as I said NO OFFERS coming out of DeMatha in anyone's books.  That occurred after his junior season when he played and not in a sling at DM.  And I do know the reasons he decided to leave DeMatha they shed no tears over and it worked out good for him high school football related.  And Demory followed right behind Paul I knew was going to happen in talking with his dad D.

As I stated before Paul had offers before leaving DM and you don't know the facts. I will not debate this with you. End of discussion.

3 minutes ago, TerpsD said:

As I stated before Paul had offers before leaving DM and you don't know the facts. I will not debate this with you. End of discussion.

And like I said I too know Alphonzo, not Paul anymore, and have for a very long time and I need not discuss it with you to glean any info nor debate.

12 hours ago, DayWalker said:

Is this really GA writing this post?? All this inside talk about knowing parents, and teachers, and rec league programs, has us all wondering..

What is there to wonder, my family is and always have been hardcore into football from youth leagues to professional play; players, coaches, refs, boosters, sports periodical reporter, videographer, sports medicine, the whole nine-yards. And hell no I am NOT GA.

Edited by DayWalker

Hereford at Kenwood - Hereford followed up their horrible outing against North Harford with a running clock win over Sparrows Point. Kenwood is off to a 2-0 start, but against two of the County's usual also-rans. We'll know a lot more about these two teams after this game. Look for Hereford to come out on top in what should be a tough, hard-hitting game. Hereford 23, Kenwood-14.

Loyola at Archbishop Curley - Here we have two 0-2 teams with new coaching staffs installing brand new offenses. While Loyola lost two squeakers by a combined 10 points, Curley was destroyed by Linganore and Tuscarora by a combined score of 106-12. Curley won't lose like that this weekend, but neither will they win. Loyola should slowly and methodically wear the Friars down with their spread-option offense and win comfortably. This game will be a homecoming of sorts for three Loyola coaches who served on the staff of recently departed long-time Curley Head Coach Sean Murphy. Loyola-28, Curley-7.

Dunbar at City - Two evenly matched teams go at it with City trying for two in a row against Dunbar following a long string of Poet wins in the series. Standout Dunbar QB Jared Lewis will prove to be the best player on the field and lead his team to victory by the narrowest of margins. Dunbar-22, City-20.

Also:

Good Counsel at Archbishop Spalding

St. Frances at Don Bosco Prep (NJ)

John Carroll at Bel Air

Poly at Mervo

North Harford at Eastern Tech

Tuscarora at Middletown

Gilman at Episcopal (VA)