Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RavingManiac

Dean Pees

95 posts in this topic

What a great game plan by Dean Pees. He deserves a lot of credit to shut down a great offense like the Bengals. Great job Mr. Pees!!!!!

More than the game plan, the Ravens are obviously faster and more talented on defense this year.  They get to the ball in a hurry.  Hopefully, they'll stay relatively healthy and wreck havoc all year.  Dalton looked like he was shell shocked. 

He certainly had the right guys in place and they certainly did the right things. When the front and the back dominate it is easy for the DC to look brilliant. Got plenty of turnovers, too. That and the effective running game made it so the defense did not have to be on the field so long as well. This looks like it could be a scary defense.

I've directed a lot of venom his way over the years, but we looked sharp and disciplined on defense today. Good work.

13 minutes ago, Kawalimus said:

I've directed a lot of venom his way over the years, but we looked sharp and disciplined on defense today. Good work.

To me the test will come when they are in a tighter game, late in the 4th quarter (although in the past Pees has blown big leads as well). And I still saw at least 1 3 man rush that was much less effective than when he brought the heat. Dalton was able to complete the pass, albeit for a short gain. And a lot still depends on Jimmy Smith's health for the entire season. They read a stat that the Ravens give up 80 more yards/game when Smith is out. So we'll see. It's a long season. But for today, they nailed it.

Edited by OriginalColtsFan

Another big part of it was that we seemed able to convert some first downs on offense. That's a huge part of defending leads that a lot of people overlook I think. Even if you don't score at all, if you can just get a few first downs it helps big time.

That stat on Smith doesn't surprise me. He's a real good player. He's come a long way since his rookie season. He also made a great open-field tackle on a Bengals RB at one point.

28 minutes ago, Kawalimus said:

Another big part of it was that we seemed able to convert some first downs on offense. That's a huge part of defending leads that a lot of people overlook I think. Even if you don't score at all, if you can just get a few first downs it helps big time.

That stat on Smith doesn't surprise me. He's a real good player. He's come a long way since his rookie season. He also made a great open-field tackle on a Bengals RB at one point.

Wasn't it the Giants game where he basically shut down OBJ in the first half, then got hurt, and in the second half OBJ was a holy terror? J Smith has not shown he can stay on the field consistently without getting hurt. He's played 16 games twice out of 6 years. That's alarming. Because he is a big part of this D.

And definitely. The O was just chewing up clock today. And if it weren't for their stupid penalties (3 alone on Jensen, 2 of which resulted because he literally tackled the defender!) the O would have been even more effective. I'm willing to write that stuff off as first game shakeout, but they've been grappling with O-line penalties for years now, regardless of who is actually on the field. And it'll probably be at least 3 or 4 weeks before they can kick it into high gear. But they already saw 2 starters go down in the first half. And if that trend continues the way it has for several years now it's going to take its toll.

When you have a backend like the Ravens do this year you can generate a lot more pressure and be aggressive.

1 minute ago, alienrace said:

When you have a backend like the Ravens do this year you can generate a lot more pressure and be aggressive.

So...how does that explain Pees's 3 man rush call with the Bengals backed up deep in their own zone?

9 minutes ago, bleedingorangeandblack said:

Trying to tell you guys Carr is a bum 

You’ve been warned 

Wutchutalkinboutcletis?

You just butt hurt cuz he left the 'Boy hi and dry? To play for a contender rather than a pretender? Izzatit? Cuz ya know Prescott's gonna have the sophomore jinx, dontcha? Yeah. You jealous and butt hurt izall. No matter. Izall good.

;)

28 minutes ago, OriginalColtsFan said:

Wutchutalkinboutcletis?

You just butt hurt cuz he left the 'Boy hi and dry? To play for a contender rather than a pretender? Izzatit? Cuz ya know Prescott's gonna have the sophomore jinx, dontcha? Yeah. You jealous and butt hurt izall. No matter. Izall good.

;)

We actually gave him a check on the way out 

You can have him he's trash 

Dak national stage (again) lets see what he can do 

31 minutes ago, bleedingorangeandblack said:

We actually gave him a check on the way out 

You can have him he's trash 

Dak national stage (again) lets see what he can do 

Yeah. You butt hurt.

LOL

1 hour ago, OriginalColtsFan said:

So...how does that explain Pees's 3 man rush call with the Bengals backed up deep in their own zone?

Lol this is exactly my point. Ravens defense pitches a shutout against a high powered offense. No other defense pitched a shutout today and he is complaining about a play where Pees rushed 3 men, stopped the Bengals from getting a first down and forcing them to punt the ball. The 3 man rush forced them to punt the ball giving our offense great field position. Yeah, legitimate complaint you got there buddy.

7 minutes ago, RavingManiac said:

Lol this is exactly my point. Ravens defense pitches a shutout against a high powered offense. No other defense pitched a shutout today and he is complaining about a play where Pees rushed 3 men, stopped the Bengals from getting a first down and forcing them to punt the ball. The 3 man rush forced them to punt the ball giving our offense great field position. Yeah, legitimate complaint you got there buddy.

High QB more like it Dalton was terrible and the pressure will continue to fall on big red

17 hours ago, OriginalColtsFan said:

Running the same scheme over and over will get you beaten. Better to mix up the blitzes and coverages. A friend of mine had Winston and Dalton on his fantasy team. With Winston out, he had to play Dalton. I know fantasy football is a whole different game but when you hold the QB to a negative 3 points it is hard to criticize the defensive play-calling. 

3 hours ago, Rael said:

Running the same scheme over and over will get you beaten. Better to mix up the blitzes and coverages. A friend of mine had Winston and Dalton on his fantasy team. With Winston out, he had to play Dalton. I know fantasy football is a whole different game but when you hold the QB to a negative 3 points it is hard to criticize the defensive play-calling. 

Who's suggesting running the same scheme over and over again? They have lots of other configurations to vary the offense without the 3-man rush.

Just now, OriginalColtsFan said:

Who's suggesting running the same scheme over and over again? They have lots of other configurations to vary the offense without the 3-man rush.

So, your stance is the 3 man rush should never be used?

Just now, Rael said:

So, your stance is the 3 man rush should never be used?

Yes, that's my stance. Or at the very least, used sparingly when it's NOT in the predictable situations in which Pees uses it. The Ravens are the most effective when they do not use the 3 man rush IMO. You disagree? N/P.

I don't disagree in general. I do disagree that it should never be used. The Patriots use it frequently and they seem to do pretty well. 

22 minutes ago, Rael said:

I don't disagree in general. I do disagree that it should never be used. The Patriots use it frequently and they seem to do pretty well. 

Patricia > Pees. It's the same with blitzes. Pees's blitzes can often be spotted a mile away so good QBs audible away to another play and burn the blitzes. It doesn't mean you should never blitz. It means when you do it has to be designed well. To me, the 3 man rush is the Ravens weakest part of their D schemes. Again. Feel free to disagree.

And if we're just talking about Sunday's game, bear in mind that the Bengals have arguably the worst O-line in the NFL. So things can't help but look great against that trash. Against a better line, with a better QB? I think things will, or should, look different. Archuletta said that at least 2 times Bengals receivers had beaten their men but the QB didn't deliver the ball, either because of pressure of because he threw a bad pass or didn't throw to the open receiver. That's not to take away from a great win; you win because you exploit your opponent's weaknesses. And the Ravens did that while not exposing their own weaknesses, resulting in a shutout. It was the winning plan. And Harbaugh has shown the ability over the years to come up with winning plans. They marched into NE that one year and within the first quarter had smacked the Pats in the mouth and walked away with a W. He'll always have his teams somewhere around .500. The question is can he and his coaches come up with winning plans week in and week out. Not to my eye, but we'll see.

Again, I don't disagree with your assessment, just your conclusion that it should never be used. You can take your logic to ridiculous extremes. Our screen pass game is weak. We should never throw a screen. Hell, our running is better than our passing and our run blocking is better than our pass blocking so we should never pass. Absolutes get silly pretty quickly. If we aren't good in the 3 man rush formation, which I agree should not be used much, should we simply not do it or should we strive to do it better?

I think the 3 man rush has it's places, but should not be used more than a couple of times a game.  Mainly in unexpected situations, it can cause the QB to get confused, or throw into double coverages. 

As I mentioned, the Ravens have a very good secondary, and can afford to stick to 4 and 5 man rushes.  I don't think the pass rush was a mirage on Sunday - it was very good all preseason too. 

7 minutes ago, alienrace said:

I think the 3 man rush has it's places, but should not be used more than a couple of times a game.  Mainly in unexpected situations, it can cause the QB to get confused, or throw into double coverages. 

As I mentioned, the Ravens have a very good secondary, and can afford to stick to 4 and 5 man rushes.  I don't think the pass rush was a mirage on Sunday - it was very good all preseason too. 

This is really what I'm saying. And from what I've seen over the years, Pees has used the 3 man rush primarily in 2 situations:

1. When opponents are in the red zone and it gives them all day to pick the D apart, even with the best defenders, because it's pretty much common football knowledge that if/when you give good QBs 5 or 6+ seconds, no DBs are going to be able to cover that long.

2. When an opponent is deep in his own zone, on third and long situations. Those results, IIRC, have also been poor, resulting in them picking up a first down and continuing a drive that results in a TD, often towards the end of games.

Sometimes I've seen effective 3 man rushes around the 50, which is interesting because it's actually in some ways safer. You've got more cushion than the red zone and the opponent has already worked its way out of a deep hole. But in the other two situations I've seen mainly ineffectiveness.

20 minutes ago, Rael said:

Again, I don't disagree with your assessment, just your conclusion that it should never be used. You can take your logic to ridiculous extremes. Our screen pass game is weak. We should never throw a screen. Hell, our running is better than our passing and our run blocking is better than our pass blocking so we should never pass. Absolutes get silly pretty quickly. If we aren't good in the 3 man rush formation, which I agree should not be used much, should we simply not do it or should we strive to do it better?

Why would you want to take my logic to ridiculous extremes? That's just, by definition, ridiculous, isn't it?

;)

(See my response to Alien.)