Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PinkFlamingo

Race related covenants on Rodgers Forge deeds

71 posts in this topic

33 minutes ago, Guido2 said:

duuhhhhh.....that it had to do with racial discrimination? A long time ago? Ax.....grinding wheel.

Memo: Time and place don't matter....direct impact doesn't matter....time...place don't matter to the perpetually irratated and self perceived sack cloth and ashes group...they are ticked and they want their pound of flesh.

This whole deed thing is SSSSSOOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH like the statues.................till 'they' brought it up.....ancient history....no one gave a rats butt.

There's nothing remotely similar. 

Just typical strain trolling

Edited by Bawlmerian

56 minutes ago, Bawlmerian said:

There's nothing remotely similar. 

Just typical strain trolling

So you are saying that the perpetually offended at the Forge are trolling?

Hmmm good observation.

It is evident that this thread has reached its inevitable conclusion with both sides in their respective corners. I would submit though that the practices of the past still influence the present. To what extent depends on the person, but it is obvious by the tone of this discussion that events that occurred decades ago still matter, and many people believe that their historical perspective is the correct one. 

It is always possible to go into the past and find something horrible to support your particular position. If slavery wasn't it, than it was the treatment of the Native Americans. . . on both continents, or  keep going back to the middle ages, crusades, Roman Empire etc to find people treating badly for a gotcha moment. 

I will suggest that the shape and makeup of Baltimore City and environs is not the result of purely rational decisions but thousands of individuals. Those people, and people there still live where they are able, and being able is not simply having enough money to do so. 

The story of the seeming ancient deeds, and supreme court decisions in the 1930 is not the whole story. Races were steered to neighborhoods by realtors, banks, home owners associations,  mortgage companies, insurance companies etc that were acting in ways that they viewed as either proper or profitable or both, but that looked back on were wrong. 

Not to put another log on the fire but Baltimore City settled a case in 2012 for reverse redlining for 175 million dollars. 

On July 12, 2012, the City of Baltimore resolved its landmark fair lending lawsuit against Wells Fargo, filed on the City's behalf by Relman, Dane & Colfax over four years ago. Resolution of the suit was announced concurrently with an announcement by the United States Department of Justice that it has reached a national fair lending settlement with Wells Fargo worth at least $175 million.

1 minute ago, sparky1 said:

It is evident that this thread has reached its inevitable conclusion with both sides in their respective corners. I would submit though that the practices of the past still influence the present. To what extent depends on the person, but it is obvious by the tone of this discussion that events that occurred decades ago still matter, and many people believe that their historical perspective is the correct one. 

It is always possible to go into the past and find something horrible to support your particular position. If slavery wasn't it, than it was the treatment of the Native Americans. . . on both continents, or  keep going back to the middle ages, crusades, Roman Empire etc to find people treating badly for a gotcha moment. 

I will suggest that the shape and makeup of Baltimore City and environs is not the result of purely rational decisions but thousands of individuals. Those people, and people there still live where they are able, and being able is not simply having enough money to do so. 

The story of the seeming ancient deeds, and supreme court decisions in the 1930 is not the whole story. Races were steered to neighborhoods by realtors, banks, home owners associations,  mortgage companies, insurance companies etc that were acting in ways that they viewed as either proper or profitable or both, but that looked back on were wrong. 

Not to put another log on the fire but Baltimore City settled a case in 2012 for reverse redlining for 175 million dollars. 

On July 12, 2012, the City of Baltimore resolved its landmark fair lending lawsuit against Wells Fargo, filed on the City's behalf by Relman, Dane & Colfax over four years ago. Resolution of the suit was announced concurrently with an announcement by the United States Department of Justice that it has reached a national fair lending settlement with Wells Fargo worth at least $175 million.

I don't think people are arguing your points except for your assertion that such covenants were legally enforced until some time in the very near past and that someone discovering such a covenant on her property is somehow newsworthy.

I think I agree with you on what people are arguing, but I would suggest like just like many did not realize that the deed to their property has a racist covenant, many probably did not realize that that statue they drove or walked but every day was erected to racist proponents of slavery. That you didn't know about evil for a long time does not mean that when discovered you should just shrug your shoulders at it. 

15 minutes ago, sparky1 said:

I think I agree with you on what people are arguing, but I would suggest like just like many did not realize that the deed to their property has a racist covenant, many probably did not realize that that statue they drove or walked but every day was erected to racist proponents of slavery. That you didn't know about evil for a long time does not mean that when discovered you should just shrug your shoulders at it. 

Most people in America realize there were racist housing policies before the fair housing act. So why is this important news again?

On 9/12/2017 at 8:28 AM, bmore_ken said:

Most people in America realize there were racist housing policies before the fair housing act. So why is this important news again?

Because it is an opportunity to stir a simmering pot that some people would like to see boil over. Sad, isn't it? :(

Edited by Papi

I think you are overestimating the level of civic knowledge of Americans. I am pretty more than a majority can not explain how their mortgage works, let alone the provenance of their house. 

Maybe this analogy is off the mark, but only 36% of Americans can identify North Korea on a map, despite almost ten years of news coverage of what could be an existential threat to the country.

https://www.thrillist.com/news/nation/jimmy-kimmel-shows-how-people-cant-find-north-korea-on-map

10 hours ago, sparky1 said:

I think you are overestimating the level of civic knowledge of Americans. I am pretty more than a majority can not explain how their mortgage works, let alone the provenance of their house. 

Maybe this analogy is off the mark, but only 36% of Americans can identify North Korea on a map, despite almost ten years of news coverage of what could be an existential threat to the country.

https://www.thrillist.com/news/nation/jimmy-kimmel-shows-how-people-cant-find-north-korea-on-map

Perhaps you should associate with more intelligent people. 

Edited by bmore_ken

It does not matter who you associate with. The laws apply to educated and uneducated alike. 

9 minutes ago, sparky1 said:

It does not matter who you associate with. The laws apply to educated and uneducated alike. 

The law says blacks can buy any home they can afford. Are you sure you're not hst2's brother or something. You post exactly like him.

Do you not believe that real estate agents steer customers to and away from some neighborhoods? Do you think that mortgage companies make it easier to get mortgages in some neighborhoods than others?  The discussion, I believe, was do the actions in the past have an impact on the present. I think it is pretty inarguable that there were racist housing policies at work in the Baltimore Metro area that have given us the situation we have now. Where people live now is in large part determined by where they were allowed to live in the past. The ability to have the capital to move up to that better house/neighborhood was also determined by the value of the house you are leaving, , , , if you even were able to afford a house. 

One of our titles said no ******s no chickens I was pretty shocked when my now ex showed it to me. 

2 hours ago, sparky1 said:

Do you not believe that real estate agents steer customers to and away from some neighborhoods? Do you think that mortgage companies make it easier to get mortgages in some neighborhoods than others?  The discussion, I believe, was do the actions in the past have an impact on the present. I think it is pretty inarguable that there were racist housing policies at work in the Baltimore Metro area that have given us the situation we have now. Where people live now is in large part determined by where they were allowed to live in the past. The ability to have the capital to move up to that better house/neighborhood was also determined by the value of the house you are leaving, , , , if you even were able to afford a house. 

Man you really do sound like hst2's brother. Let me explain my home buying process to you. My first step was a mortgage pre approval. I got three to compare rates. Chose a lender. 

The next step was to go online and look at homes that my pre approval qualified me for in three different areas of Baltimore County. I chose 5 too look at.  At this point my realtor has done next to nothing but be available when I had questions. Now it was her turn to do something. I informed her of the 5 houses I wanted to see and she scheduled the viewings. After that her only job was to meet me at the the scheduled time to open the door and answer any questions I had. So in short,  I told my realtor what homes I wanted to see in the neighborhoods I wanted to see them in.  Not the other way around.

Ohhh what you said ken....

You are talking as an intellegent, well to do, sharp man in 2017....not when these 'rules' were instituted.

That is the issue isn't it? Old, ancient, should have been off the books stuff? Which is once again.....'being brought up'. And as we saw in the article .....seems no one knows or cares about ....till the pot stirrers show up?

Edited by Guido2

6 hours ago, bmore_ken said:

Perhaps you should associate wit more intelligent people. 

And feel stupid all the time?

2 hours ago, bmore_ken said:

Man you really do sound like hst2's brother. Let me explain my home buying process to you. My first step was a mortgage pre approval. I got three to compare rates. Chose a lender. 

The next step was to go online and look at homes that my pre approval qualified me for in three different areas of Baltimore County. I chose 5 too look at.  At this point my realtor has done next to nothing but be available when I had questions. Now it was her turn to do something. I informed her of the 5 houses I wanted to see and she scheduled the viewings. After that her only job was to meet me at the the scheduled time to open the door and answer any questions I had. So in short,  I told my realtor what homes I wanted to see in the neighborhoods I wanted to see them in.  Not the other way around.

Don't confuse him with facts Ken. He still thinks it's 1955. 

14 minutes ago, Papi said:

Don't confuse him with facts Ken. He still thinks it's 1955. 

I think I was potty trained by then. :D Nothing really to do with this....but ....ohhhhh welll it popped in my head and I had to share.

13 hours ago, bmore_ken said:

Ken, Your personal experience is really not very relevant or revealing with what has happened in Baltimore for the past 100 years. I am glad your homebuying experience was pleasant and you got what you  want. Would that it were that way for everyone all the time. 

29 minutes ago, sparky1 said:

Ken, Your personal experience is really not very relevant or revealing with what has happened in Baltimore for the past 100 years. I am glad your homebuying experience was pleasant and you got what you  want. Would that it were that way for everyone all the time. 

It's totally relevant because it destroys that false narrative that you and hst2 put out. It can be that way for everyone. This isn't the 40s or 50s. If you allow a realtor to tell you what you want, that's on you not the realtor. I didn't do anything any other black person in America can't do. If you're not intelligent enough to do it the way I did, perhaps your not ready for home ownership. 

Edited by bmore_ken

56 minutes ago, bmore_ken said:

It's totally relevant because it destroys that false narrative that you and hst2 put out. It can be that way for everyone. This isn't the 40s or 50s. If you allow a realtor to tell you what you want, that's on you not the realtor. I didn't do anything any other black person in America can't do. If you're not intelligent enough to do it the way I did, perhaps your not ready for home ownership. 

So why do sections 8's exist? If what you state is to be held true?

2 hours ago, Guido2 said:

I'm breaking my ignore dumb Guido comments rule just to respond to this, so I hope you appreciate it. [WTH] are you talking about?

Edited by Baltimatt
Language

48 minutes ago, Guido2 said:

Section 8 has nothing to do with home ownership. It is a financial assistance program for low income people who need support to be able to afford RENT. By definition, folks who need financial assistance in order to be able to pay rent for a place to live are not in a financial position to pursue home ownership, and therefore are not part of the population that Ken was describing. 

8 minutes ago, Papi said:

Section 8 has nothing to do with home ownership. It is a financial assistance program for low income people who need support to be able to afford RENT. By definition, folks who need financial assistance in order to be able to pay rent for a place to live are not in a financial position to pursue home ownership, and therefore are not part of the population that Ken was describing. 

I'm still scratching my head on how he got to Section 8 which are rentals, from a discussion about home ownership. Every time I think I've read his dumbest comment, he takes it to a new level. 

Edited by bmore_ken