Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
KSweeley

Baltimore City wants Amazon again, bidding for a headquarters for Amazon.

27 posts in this topic

31 minutes ago, retired said:

The Beth Steel site might offer a good location!

Might be too much clean-up.

2 minutes ago, stevez51 said:

Might be too much clean-up.

I understand that the area is going full tilt boogie on doing so....FedEx has already set up shop there.

4 minutes ago, Guido2 said:

I understand that the area is going full tilt boogie on doing so....FedEx has already set up shop there.

Still a lot to clean-up last I heard.

I heard, or thought I heard that the old Sparrows Point was going to be be making windmill blades and turbines for the off shore wind farm downy ocean, and for the rest of the US.

Whatever they do to get Amazon I hope they do not do another corporate giveaway like Port Covington or the Marriott headquarters. 

16 hours ago, stevez51 said:

Still a lot to clean-up last I heard.

Oh that is a given...tough to undo XXX years of uncontrolled pollution. But the key is .... it is happening....and that is a good thing....is it not?

2 hours ago, sparky1 said:

I heard, or thought I heard that the old Sparrows Point was going to be be making windmill blades and turbines for the off shore wind farm downy ocean, and for the rest of the US.

Whatever they do to get Amazon I hope they do not do another corporate giveaway like Port Covington or the Marriott headquarters. 

Sparrows Point/Beth steel is in Baltimore County. While I am not in love with the goooberment here....they do tend to work with more than a brainstem as they do in the city.

16 minutes ago, Guido2 said:

Oh that is a given...tough to undo XXX years of uncontrolled pollution. But the key is .... it is happening....and that is a good thing....is it not?

Any use of that land is a positive.

11 minutes ago, stevez51 said:

Any use of that land is a positive.

No doubt there. I would imagine if it weren't so polluted that it would have become a 1%ers gated community with docks and all. If you look past the industrial aspect of it.....it is really a prime place for such a thing. I mean all that deep water for the yachts and such. :lol:

19 hours ago, KSweeley said:

Baltimore City is proposing the following sites for this Amazon headquarters: Port Covington, Westport, State Center, MetroWest and Old Town Mall: http://www.baltimoresun.com/business/bs-bz-amazon-headquarters-20170907-story.html

I think it's safe to say Old Town Mall won't be the site if Baltimore would win.

Public transportation is one of the factors Amazon is considering.  Well, we have a subway that is useless for most of the city, one Light Rail line that slows to a crawl in the downtown area and buses that get stuck in rush traffic just like cars.  Winner!  :rolleyes:

3 hours ago, ivanbalt said:

I think it's safe to say Old Town Mall won't be the site if Baltimore would win.

Public transportation is one of the factors Amazon is considering.  Well, we have a subway that is useless for most of the city, one Light Rail line that slows to a crawl in the downtown area and buses that get stuck in rush traffic just like cars.  Winner!  :rolleyes:

Think positive ........

9 minutes ago, stevez51 said:

Think positive ........

On a positive note, there is theoretically a ton of tech workers in the region.

6 hours ago, ivanbalt said:

Well Ivan.....why aren't you on the BC goooberment to fix it. Sure in heck we posters can't. You are in the city right?

Kidding aside.... I have traveled pretty much across the US and been to a number of major cities NSEW. I have to say that BC transportation system is probably #1 in screwed up. And don't whine about the Red line...based on the plans I saw it would have done NOTHING to tie all these piecemeal things together.

Every public transportation thingy put in place has absolutely ZERO thought involved with connecting with the other methods.

Walking 3 blocks from the subway to a light rail....is not exactly coordination. IMHO

Guido, good points about  Baltimore's screwed up transportation system. I wish the County and city could be proactive about fixing it. The only idea that seems to come up every decade or so is to widen the beltway another lane, which immediatly created more of a problem. 

I think the rail is the way to go. The existing light rail systems need to be built out, extending it past the Hunt Valley mall to the Hunt Valley business park would be a good first step. Something that goes east west would be nice too.. . Maybe not the red line but something. Connect the Subway to something for gosh sakes, maybe Hopkins Bayview?. Bring back some street cars for downtown?

I have heard that Baltimore's transportation woes may be a deciding factor on not getting the new Amazon golden goose. But as just good public policy how about building something that could help Baltimore's current citizens on the daily, and using that constant state of readiness to attract new business?

3 hours ago, sparky1 said:

Guido, good points about  Baltimore's screwed up transportation system. I wish the County and city could be proactive about fixing it. The only idea that seems to come up every decade or so is to widen the beltway another lane, which immediatly created more of a problem. 

I think the rail is the way to go. The existing light rail systems need to be built out, extending it past the Hunt Valley mall to the Hunt Valley business park would be a good first step. Something that goes east west would be nice too.. . Maybe not the red line but something. Connect the Subway to something for gosh sakes, maybe Hopkins Bayview?. Bring back some street cars for downtown?

I have heard that Baltimore's transportation woes may be a deciding factor on not getting the new Amazon golden goose. But as just good public policy how about building something that could help Baltimore's current citizens on the daily, and using that constant state of readiness to attract new business?

I have looked at old maps of the above ground trolley system w/ tracks....my wife who is from the area here entire life used them extensively And guess what...they all tied together and you could go from the center of BC to right here in Gwynn Oak and visit the Amusement park.

But some genius had them paved over....you can see many of those tracks still popping up....even in Catonsvile. Which she used to take with just one transfer to the park.

GGGGeeeeeeee seems the non computer age had a much better handle on things than our computer driven goooberment.

Just say'n

I heard recently that Boston is the frontrunner

It would make sense because they'd be close to MIT

On 9/12/2017 at 6:47 PM, Guido2 said:

Well Ivan.....why aren't you on the BC goooberment to fix it. Sure in heck we posters can't. You are in the city right?

Kidding aside.... I have traveled pretty much across the US and been to a number of major cities NSEW. I have to say that BC transportation system is probably #1 in screwed up. And don't whine about the Red line...based on the plans I saw it would have done NOTHING to tie all these piecemeal things together.

Every public transportation thingy put in place has absolutely ZERO thought involved with connecting with the other methods.

Walking 3 blocks from the subway to a light rail....is not exactly coordination. IMHO

There was a designed plan back in the 60s, but it never got implemented.  Instead just piecemeal subway and light rail.  Red Line would have been similar.  And while it wasn't perfect, it at least would have provided some kind of east/west line that doesn't exist now.

The failed Red Line was probably the last attempt at expanding rail in Baltimore.  A true interconnected system (subway) will never happen because the cost would be astronomical these days without serious federal funding.  And while there were some federal funds available for the Red Line, the overall focus of the US is not on infrastructure, but weapons and destroying/rebuilding other countries.

1 hour ago, ivanbalt said:

There was a designed plan back in the 60s, but it never got implemented.  Instead just piecemeal subway and light rail.  Red Line would have been similar.  And while it wasn't perfect, it at least would have provided some kind of east/west line that doesn't exist now.

The failed Red Line was probably the last attempt at expanding rail in Baltimore.  A true interconnected system (subway) will never happen because the cost would be astronomical these days without serious federal funding.  And while there were some federal funds available for the Red Line, the overall focus of the US is not on infrastructure, but weapons and destroying/rebuilding other countries.

Wow we agree....they must have changed the water supply is in the BC area.........ken first now you? :D

As one that lives in Gwynn Oak and yes....does go to the city.... I know ...shocking. Having the red line would have been great for me. I used the light rails nearby but they are not convenient time wise nor is the subway. I can drive to the city in about the same time it takes to get to one of them. So the red line for me would have been 5 minutes away...very cool. But not at the costs and more importantly it's design .. though advertised otherwise....did NOTHING to improve connectivity of the other lines...that was worth while dollar wise.

It would have been another layer of expensive paint over a cracked wall (existing network) IMHO.

overall focus of the US is not on infrastructure, but weapons and destroying/rebuilding other countries.

Weapon building is quick and easy to do compared to the hassle of trying to really build something. For example... the Empire State Building took 1 year 4 months from start to finish. Today....the lawyers and eco-freaks would still be thinking about what shape the table would be to discuss building it. :lol:

Destroying and rebuilding other countries is another quick buck thing compared to 'really building something' in the US. No nasty things like I described about.....just get THE FRIKN LIGHTS ON....BUILD THE HOSPITAL....ETC.

One of the few things Trump has gotten right is his complaint and followup on the difficulty in JUST BUILDING SOMETHING. What was it he said......that it took two (three?) times longer to get the BS paperwork, permits, blessings etc. done for the inter-connector than it did to actually build the damn thing?

He gave a speech on it...one of the few that had content and linear thinking.....and he showed a flowchart of the process....it was astounding....talk about a Rube Goldberg machine

21 hours ago, soulflower said:

I heard recently that Boston is the frontrunner

It would make sense because they'd be close to MIT

Amazon denied that .

On 9/12/2017 at 6:47 PM, Guido2 said:

not connecting the light rail to Penn Station had to be strategic...even Balt. City can't be that obtuse. 

14 hours ago, RileyMartin said:

not connecting the light rail to Penn Station had to be strategic...even Balt. City can't be that obtuse. 

You don't live in the city or MD for that matter....do you. :D

Maryland Governor Larry Hogan just stated he wants Amazon's HQ to be built IN Baltimore City at Port Covington, potential Democratic gubernatorial candidate Baltimore County Executive Kevin Kamenetz also stated he wants Amazon's HQ to be built in Baltimore City despite a proposed Dundalk location: https://www.bizjournals.com/baltimore/news/2017/09/15/gov-hogan-throws-his-support-behind-port-covington.html

During a brief press conference in downtown Baltimore, Hogan said the state would help boost the bid for Amazon HQ2 with tax incentives and funding pledges for transportation improvements.

He said the Port Covington site, being redeveloped by Sagamore Development Co. under a $5.5 billion project that will include a new global headquarters for Under Armour, was the leading location. Sagamore, owned by Under Armour CEO Kevin Plank, said last week that Port Covington was the "perfect home" for the second Amazon headquarters.

And Friday, the governor agreed.

"I believe this is the best location and Baltimore City could use the shot in the arm," Hogan said.

Despite developer Tradepoint Atlantic's possible location for the HQ2 in Dundalk, Baltimore County Executive Kevin Kamenetz endorsed Port Covington in an essay published Friday in The Sun. Kamenetz is considered a potential gubernatorial candidate.

The Baltimore Sun reports that Hogan will personally lobby for Baltimore City to get Amazon's corporate headquarters: http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/politics/bs-md-hogan-amazon-20170915-story.html

Edited by KSweeley

8 minutes ago, KSweeley said:

Maryland Governor Larry Hogan just stated he wants Amazon's HQ to be built IN Baltimore City at Port Covington, potential Democratic gubernatorial candidate Baltimore County Executive Kevin Kamenetz also stated he wants Amazon's HQ to be built in Baltimore City despite a proposed Dundalk location: https://www.bizjournals.com/baltimore/news/2017/09/15/gov-hogan-throws-his-support-behind-port-covington.html

The Baltimore Sun reports that Hogan will personally lobby for Baltimore City to get Amazon's corporate headquarters: http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/politics/bs-md-hogan-amazon-20170915-story.html

50,000 Amazon jobs @ Port Covington is a pipe dream, nothing more.  Sorry Larry, you're gonna get burnt over this one.

BTW, The Amazon warehouse at the old GM plant has a fantastic promotion plan. They call in twice as many employees per shift than they need, some show up, some don't, if you show up you just may get to work tomorrow.