Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Rob

The "Who Cares" Game Thread -- 9/11/17 and 9/12/17 -- O's at Blue Jays (Game 1 and Game 2)

63 posts in this topic

9 minutes ago, BayAreaBmore said:

Indeed. Difficult to argue with that logic though right?  I just don't see where finishing a game or two over .500 really benefits the team at this point aside from just being able to say, 'yay another winning season' 

Actually, it was one of the few things I actually agreed with slidey about. He took a lot of heat over on the Ravens board for daring to suggest that the best thing the Ravens could do in 2015 was write off the season, play the younger guys, get an idea of who they had for the future, and get as good a draft position as possible. Wow. That really let loose the Purple Koo-Aid crowd! But yes. I get the logic and agree with it.

Haha that must've created quite a stir over there.

Im not advocating that the Orioles try and intentionally lose, they're doing a pretty good job of that themselves by rolling out these garbage starters and pulling the Houdini act on offense.  

I'm just saying if they do finish below .500 it may cause the organization to realize it's time to make some serious changes so that wouldn't be a terrible outcome 

Edited by BayAreaBmore

16 hours ago, OsfaninCA said:

At least we are down to maybe 2-3 more starts with U-ball-do - embarassing they did not cut losses a long time ago. Kept starting this bum for 4 years...

At this point I'm sadly not even so sure about that... I'd put the odds at about 60/40 he comes back next year on a 1 year deal.  Nobody else is going to give him real money based on his 5.19 ERA and 1.50 WHIP combined through the last 4 seasons.  I have little doubt at this point Buck will tell Dan "He's no worse that half the rest of the rotation (even though he is) bring him back for one more year!"

“He was on,” Showalter said of Jiménez. “You could tell, he had a real good look about him tonight. He was going to keep us in that ballgame and he did. … We just couldn’t catch a break defensively.”

"He was on".  Yeah, every single time he pitches he's "on", it's just bad luck, or his defense letting him down, or the wind really caught a hold of those two flyballs and carried them an extra 60 feet, or <insert excuse here>.  8 baserunners in 5 innings isn't "on", it's mediocre to not.  3 ER in 5 IP is a 5.40 ERA... which isn't "on".  Though it is an improvement over his season total, so in that light maybe he was sort of "on".  100+ pitches through 5 innings, 3 ER and lucky it wasn't more... and Buck is spinning it like he was in top form last night.

I'm not even going to bother with Ustinko's "bad luck" comments...  and Buck with the bad break stuff.  Spare me...

Edited by Ravens2006

2 hours ago, BayAreaBmore said:

The problem with finishing at or above .500 is that it will give this organization (and many fans) some false sense of success. Kind of like last year. 

Its hard to root for your team to lose, but in some circumstances it may benefit the organization long term (or even short term aka next year). I think this is one of those instances 

Completely (albeit unintentionally) tanking for the rest of the season, won't help much at this point. The O's are settling in at about the 15th over all pick. No matter how well/poorly they finish up, the most that will happen is that they could swing up to 13th or down to 17th overall. At this point, half the league has already cemented themselves into their draft slots. Another 5 of so (of which the O's are one) are jockeying. The remaining 10 will be picking after the O's.

Either way, none of this will have an affect on how the FO responds. DD and Buck don't have any interest in the future of the team, because post 2018, DD will absolutely be gone, and Buck will most probably be gone. If MLB allowed teams to trade their draft picks for current players, DD would be all over that. This is why they didn't trade away any players. Neither man is interested in a rebuild. The most we have to hope for, are these things. Buck doesn't decide he wants UJ here for his last season as manager. DD doesn't dig in his heels to prove he was right about Miley, and picks up his option. Tillman accepts a dirt cheap, one year "prove myself to the league" extension, and returns to form. And Peter tells DD he can buy that top of the rotation, FA pitcher he's had his eye on.   

19 minutes ago, LesterFisher said:

Ah but does DD really have an eye on any top notch FA pitchers???

Doubtful.  I would not allow Duquette to go anywhere near evaluating pitching for this team. Miley for Miranda says it all. Senseless trade. He should be fired based on that move alone.  

Edited by BayAreaBmore

18 minutes ago, BayAreaBmore said:

Doubtful.  I would not allow Duquette to go anywhere near evaluating pitching for this team. Miley for Miranda says it all. Senseless trade. He should be fired based on that move alone.  

Don't forget about Zach Davies, a 17-game winner!!!

37 minutes ago, pitbull said:

Don't forget about Zach Davies, a 17-game winner!!!

Absolutely pathetic.  Yes based on that trade as well he should be fired 

54 minutes ago, BayAreaBmore said:

You're using a very narrow lens to assess his ability to evaluate pitching. His career successes in Montreal and Boston say that he does, in deed, know how to evaluate pitching. 

With that said, Miley was a blunder move. Not because of what he gave up, which isn't much. But because he coveted Miley for years. He sees something that no one else sees. He see something in Miley, that he has yet to accomplish. Something I don't think exists. But beyond that, I believe DD knows how to build a team. He just doesn't have the authority to do that here. I'm convinced that he'll have great success elsewhere; the kind of success we all wish he could have had here. 

5 minutes ago, BayAreaBmore said:

Absolutely pathetic.  Yes based on that trade as well he should be fired 

Hmmm...those 17 wins look good. How many of those do you think he'd have here? The ALc is a tasty division to pitch in.  

8 minutes ago, weird-O said:

You're using a very narrow lens to assess his ability to evaluate pitching. His career successes in Montreal and Boston say that he does, in deed, know how to evaluate pitching. 

With that said, Miley was a blunder move. Not because of what he gave up, which isn't much. But because he coveted Miley for years. He sees something that no one else sees. He see something in Miley, that he has yet to accomplish. Something I don't think exists. But beyond that, I believe DD knows how to build a team. He just doesn't have the authority to do that here. I'm convinced that he'll have great success elsewhere; the kind of success we all wish he could have had here. 

Yes I'll admit I'm obviously very down on this team and management right now so Duquette is gonna get some of the blame regardless of his track record. 

Just sick and tired of the same script. Crappy starting pitching and an all or none offense that disappears when the pitching suddenly is decent.  

And it doesn't help to see young arms we've traded in recent years compiling decent seasons and Wins around the majors which to me is part of the gigantic glaring problem that is the Baltimore Orioles inability to develop AND evaluate starting pitching.  

Edited by BayAreaBmore

7 minutes ago, weird-O said:

Hmmm...those 17 wins look good. How many of those do you think he'd have here? The ALc is a tasty division to pitch in.  

Do you think Davies would be an upgrade over what we have now?

16 minutes ago, pitbull said:

No honestly 

Bridwell I could see an argument for maybe

8 minutes ago, pitbull said:

The one word answer is yes. But that isn't high praise, when you look at who he's being compared to. The sad fact is, even if he was still with the organization, he wouldn't be starting games for the O's. Buck wouldn't use him, because Tillman and UJ will never be truly removed from the rotation. They may spend some time in the pen, but the minute an opportunity arises, Buck puts them back in. The O's have better pitchers in house, but they don't start for the big club, because Buck Showalter likes his guys.  

Just so there's no misunderstanding. I disapproved of the Parra trade. I thought ZD was worth keeping. 

1 hour ago, bleedingorangeandblack said:

No honestly 

Bridwell I could see an argument for maybe

You don't think Davies is an upgrade over Ustinko, Miley or this year's version of Tillman? Interesting.

Just now, pitbull said:

You don't think Davies is an upgrade over Ustinko, Miley or this year's version of Tillman? Interesting.

I don’t think he’d be any different in fact he may have gone the route of Mike Wrong and Mr. Wilson

Bridwell however has held his own in the AL and that counts for something in my book 

ubaldo Tillman and Miley all suck

3 hours ago, weird-O said:

Probably not 17+ but I'm certain it would be an improvement over the three stooges we've had starting most of the season.

Although as you mentioned in another comment, it's unlikely Buckaroo would've strayed from "his guys" so Davies, Bridwell, Miranda etc probably wouldn't have been given a shot anyway 

Edited by BayAreaBmore

Orioles are getting shutout tonite by a Monkey Turd with a 3-10 record and an ERA over 5. Shocking!

Edited by pitbull

The Orioles offense really crapped the bed when it mattered most. Pathetic.

Trumbo with the big hit!

1-1

46 minutes ago, Rob said:

The Orioles offense really crapped the bed when it mattered most. Pathetic.

I guess so... but to me it was Gausman and Bundy that really fell down when we had a chance against New York

And...thanks to BIRDMAN for taking me away from re-watching the Ravens game to see this thing go in the toilet. Yeah. Thanks a lot.

;)

Just now, OriginalColtsFan said:

And...thanks to BIRDMAN for taking me away from re-watching the Ravens game to see this thing go in the toilet. Yeah. Thanks a lot.

;)

You are quite welcome. It's time to see what the youngsters can do.

1 minute ago, ncbirdfan said:

You are quite welcome. It's time to see what the youngsters can do.

It's time to rethink this O's organization from top to bottom.

Just now, OriginalColtsFan said:

It's time to rethink this O's organization from top to bottom.

They just need to acquire some pitching - not a #4 or #5 but some decent front-line starting pitching. I also think they need to dump Davis's salary somehow (I can dream, right?).