Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Rob

The "Who Cares" Game Thread -- 9/11/17 and 9/12/17 -- O's at Blue Jays (Game 1 and Game 2)

63 posts in this topic

12 minutes ago, ncbirdfan said:

They just need to acquire some pitching - not a #4 or #5 but some decent front-line starting pitching. I also think they need to dump Davis's salary somehow (I can dream, right?).

In order to do that, they need to revamp the organization from top to bottom. They won't, of course, but that's what's needed to be done. They've had their chance to do what you suggest, and they've proven themselves to be incapable of doing just that.

14 minutes ago, ncbirdfan said:

They just need to acquire some pitching - not a #4 or #5 but some decent front-line starting pitching. I also think they need to dump Davis's salary somehow (I can dream, right?).

Well, sure, you can. But a guy as smart as you should realize that when your dreams keep turning into nightmares you have to stop eating all those Taco Bell Double Chalupas right before you go to bed.

;)

5 minutes ago, OriginalColtsFan said:

Well, sure, you can. But a guy as smart as you should realize that when your dreams keep turning into nightmares you have to stop eating all those Taco Bell Double Chalupas right before you go to bed.

;)

I stay away from fast food. I also know that dreams are just that. :)

3 minutes ago, ncbirdfan said:

I stay away from fast food. I also know that dreams are just that. :)

And yet...you continue to want to shove a square peg into a round hole by insisting that this same failed brain trust that hasn't been able to do exactly what you are suggesting will somehow magically be able to do it. That, friend, is a nightmare. And you keep feeding on the very thing that is causing the nightmare -- the denial that what you want them to do is the very thing they have proven time and time again that they are unable to do.

Edited by OriginalColtsFan

That rubber game against the Yankees last week when they got blown was truly the end of the season. That game was a must win and they completely folded.  I had a feeling that game was make or break. 

Really showed us what this team was made of, which clearly isn't much lol. 

Edited by BayAreaBmore

1 minute ago, BayAreaBmore said:

That rubber game against the Yankees last week when they got blown was truly the end of the season. That game was a must win and they completely folded.  I had a feeling that game was make or break. 

Really showed us what this team was made of, which clearly isn't much lol. 

And I think I pointed out back then that the "make or brake it" line in the sand had been drawn way before that game. The whole season has really shown that this team is broken. Or at best .500, which is "broken" in terms of playoff aspirations. Everything else was just a season long prick tease.

22 minutes ago, OriginalColtsFan said:

And I think I pointed out back then that the "make or brake it" line in the sand had been drawn way before that game. The whole season has really shown that this team is broken. Or at best .500, which is "broken" in terms of playoff aspirations. Everything else was just a season long prick tease.

Yes absolutely. I just saw that particular game as potentially propelling them forward with momentum which they'd need to try and sneak into the 2nd WC spot. But yes the team is and was flawed long before then 

12 minutes ago, BayAreaBmore said:

Yes absolutely. I just saw that particular game as potentially propelling them forward with momentum which they'd need to try and sneak into the 2nd WC spot. But yes the team is and was flawed long before then 

Cool. The way I see it, momentum can help a team get over a hump if one hitter is in a slump, or they've lost some close games because of some uncharacterist errors or something like that. And they need a shot of confidence to get them back on track. With this team, the combination of lousy pitching and disappearing hitting is so pervasive that there aren't enough momentum boosters in the universe to fix what's broken here. By the same token, it's been a fun/frustrating/infuriating/interesting ride. And as NCBIRDFAN says: "One man's dream is another man's nightmare".

(OK. He doesn't really say that at all. I made it up for convenience sake.)

;)

In order to reach 85 wins, which I think is the baseline to qualify for the postseason this year, the Orioles will have to go 14-3. Somehow I just don't see that happening.

10 hours ago, mdrunning said:

In order to reach 85 wins, which I think is the baseline to qualify for the postseason this year, the Orioles will have to go 14-3. Somehow I just don't see that happening.

The HECK you say! The Indians just ran the table for 20 straight wins. It's not impossible to do. HAVE A LITTLE FAITH!!!

;)

This team is maddening. How many times do we see them reel off 7 wins in a row and follow it up with a 7 game losing streak? Happens every year it seems like. This team is fatally flawed.

It's probably too late, but I'd like to see guys like Santander, Hays and Sisco get a little more playing time. Thus far, they've had a combined seven plate appearances in September. This team needs a spark and perhaps some young blood could provide it. Davis and Trumbo on the other hand, have posted respective OPS of .566 and .629 this month.

2 hours ago, Rob said:

This team is maddening. How many times do we see them reel off 7 wins in a row and follow it up with a 7 game losing streak? Happens every year it seems like. This team is fatally flawed.

Uhm....(OCF scratches his head...)...thinking...thinking...

Too many times?

Yeah. That's my final answer.

;)