Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mcorioles

IRMA 7th Biggest Hurricane In US History

136 posts in this topic

Quote

Table of all hurricanes with landfall pressures <= 940 mb at time of U.S. landfall. #Irma was 929 mb and #Harvey was 938 mb.

Uhh, the U.S. isn't the only place that hurricanes strike?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Baltimatt said:

Uhh, the U.S. isn't the only place that hurricanes strike?

Nope,try again.

See,I even checked twice ,no typos so you could understand my "gibberish".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Baltimatt said:

Uhh, the U.S. isn't the only place that hurricanes strike?

Why are you quoting that from the link?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The list is actually of the strongest hurricanes as measure by lowest barometric pressure . .....

The title saying they are the biggest is incorrect .....

I have seen other charts where they measure total energy by looking at strength and size and Isabel ranks up there ......

I know what point you are trying to make and of course we have had powerful storms for a long time .......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lowest barometric pressure when it hits the U.S.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, mcorioles said:

Why are you quoting that from the link?

Because that's something I noticed.

How dare I quote from a link you use to begin a thread.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Baltimatt said:

Because that's something I noticed.

How dare I quote from a link you use to begin a thread.

Uhhhh ,what were you trying to convey?

Jesus ,so snarky.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Eastside Terp said:

The list is actually of the strongest hurricanes as measure by lowest barometric pressure . .....

The title saying they are the biggest is incorrect .....

I have seen other charts where they measure total energy by looking at strength and size and Isabel ranks up there ......

I know what point you are trying to make and of course we have had powerful storms for a long time .......

Correct,BP is only one component to determine "size" if you will.

The interesting things are the years.

Feel free to change the title,I just used what they did.

Edited by mcorioles

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, mcorioles said:

Uhhhh ,what were you trying to convey?

Jesus ,so snarky.....

Better yet, what are you trying to convey since you're the one starting the thread asking us to guess?

Let's see, a climate change denial blog.  What could it possibly be?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Baltimatt said:

Better yet, what are you trying to convey since you're the one starting the thread asking us to guess?

Let's see, a climate change denial blog.  What could it possibly be?

Fine don't answer.

My thread and responses convey exactly how I feel.

Your post I asked you about Just gas a quoted line from the thread ,then "the US isn't the only place Hurricanes strike"? I don't understand the relationship between the quote and your post.

Good God man.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Because there are probably various ways to measure the intensity of storms.  You are limiting your list to barometric pressure when the storm hits the U.S.  That sounds like a rather flawed measure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Baltimatt said:

Uhh, the U.S. isn't the only place that hurricanes strike?

They call them typhoons in Asia .....

Hurricanes and typhoons are tropical cyclones . .....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Baltimatt said:

Because there are probably various ways to measure the intensity of storms.  You are limiting your list to barometric pressure when the storm hits the U.S.  That sounds like a rather flawed measure.

I realize that and said so previously.

The categorizing  matters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, JoyinMudville said:

That the title was misleading. Otherwise, not really.

More than half were before 1935.

 

I didn't expect you to figure it out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"With Irma ranked 7th, and Harvey ranked 18th, it’s going to be tough for climate alarmists to try connecting these two storms to being driven by CO2/global warming. But they’ll do it anyway".

The last two sentences of the link.

And he was right.

Edited by mcorioles

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, mcorioles said:

More than half were before 1935.

 

I didn't expect you to figure it out.

Again, the title is misleading and suggests a lack of understanding when it comes to the way we measure hurricanes.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, JoyinMudville said:

Again, the title is misleading and suggests a lack of understanding when it comes to the way we measure hurricanes.

 

You do see the category column,right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, mcorioles said:

"With Irma ranked 7th, and Harvey ranked 18th, it’s going to be tough for climate alarmists to try connecting these two storms to being driven by CO2/global warming. But they’ll do it anyway".

The last two sentences of the link.

Right, so an amateur tries to score a political point with a misleading statistic and you gobbled it up. Try again.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, mcorioles said:

You do see the category column,right?

You still can't figure out why the title is misleading, lol?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Baltimatt said:

Better yet, what are you trying to convey since you're the one starting the thread asking us to guess?

Let's see, a climate change denial blog.  What could it possibly be?

 

23 minutes ago, Baltimatt said:

Because there are probably various ways to measure the intensity of storms.  You are limiting your list to barometric pressure when the storm hits the U.S.  That sounds like a rather flawed measure.

I don't understand his point. Is he saying that only when the Hurricane hits the US that it's intensity becomes a CC/GW statistic? Does the devastation of Barbuda and the outlying Caribbean Islands not count for anything. Cuba took the sting out of Irma before it made US landfall.

Edited by WKDWZD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, WKDWZD said:

 

I don't understand his point. Is he saying that only when the Hurricane hits the US that it's intensity becomes a CC/GW statistic? Does the devastation of Barbuda and the outlying Caribbean Islands not count for anything. Cuba took the sting out of Irma before it made US landfall.

Why are you introducing reason and logic into this thread when you can let him flail about for a little while longer until he gets flustered and starts lashing out?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, mcorioles said:

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2017/09/10/hurricane-expert-klotzbach-irma-at-landfall-comes-in-7th-behind-1935-labor-day-storm/

 

Interesting.....take a look at the chart with the ranked Hurricanes.

Does anything jump out to anyone?

It certainly did to me.

Is that you, Willard?

Thanks for telling us what's happening in our neck of the woods.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, WKDWZD said:

 

I don't understand his point. Is he saying that only when the Hurricane hits the US that it's intensity becomes a CC/GW statistic? Does the devastation of Barbuda and the outlying Caribbean Islands not count for anything. Cuba took the sting out of Irma before it made US landfall.

No,not at all.

You see Joy wants to focus on the title but the data is 100% indisputable.

Not only this link but others gave the same data and storms .

The fact still remains a significant amount of hurricanes on ALL the lists were before 1935.

The fact still remains we are at a all time recorded low for  tornadic and hurricane activity.

Regardless of the "misleading thread".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0