Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mcorioles

IRMA 7th Biggest Hurricane In US History

136 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, mcorioles said:

Of course it did in your opinion.

But Im nuanced enough to see why you did it.

Same could be said about plenty of your posts.  You're going to continue to get the reactions you do when you tell people how and what they ought to post.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, banner1124 said:

I'm not all that big on making my decisions based on whether predictions were entirely accurate or not.  The kind of stuff they are trying to predict is incredibly difficult to predict.  I think perhaps they should stick with presenting the science behind what's happening with a message that these are the things that we could and probably will see sometime in the future and stop trying to put hard dates on it.  But I think it's irresponsible to argue that since the predictions weren't entirely accurate that the whole issue is BS.

And what you just posted is pretty much what I've been saying.Dont know why we are arguing?

The only difference I see is you believe CC is by human hands.( if this is wrong sorry)

And I believe it's probably cyclical with a insignificant amount attributed to humans.

It IS irresponsible to make short term predictions because people on the fence,deniers and skeptics have one more thing to back their reasoning.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, banner1124 said:

Same could be said about plenty of your posts.  You're going to continue to get the reactions you do when you tell people how and what they ought to post.

Well,it was rhetorical to get a point across.

I never expected you to edit it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, mcorioles said:

Well,it was rhetorical to get a point across.

I never expected you to edit it.

Rhetorical or not, folks don't tend to like it... just sayin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, banner1124 said:

Rhetorical or not, folks don't tend to like it... just sayin

Noted

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, mcorioles said:

And what you just posted is pretty much what I've been saying.Dont know why we are arguing?

The only difference I see is you believe CC is by human hands.( if this is wrong sorry)

And I believe it's probably cyclical with a insignificant amount attributed to humans.

It IS irresponsible to make short term predictions because people on the fence,deniers and skeptics have one more thing to back their reasoning.

But what do you base that on?  It's not science because most of the science says it's mostly attributed to humans.

And I think it's much much more irresponsible to deny CC for political reasons, and absent the science to back up denial I can't see any other reason why folks do it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, banner1124 said:

But what do you base that on?  It's not science because most of the science says it's mostly attributed to humans.

And I think it's much much more irresponsible to deny CC for political reasons, and absent the science to back up denial I can't see any other reason why folks do it.

A lot of things.

Cynisizm about politicians 

The predictions we have been discussing

The lack of ability to accurately gauge climate more than 150 or so years in the past.

I commented on this earlier.

Core samples are a good indication of climate in a given time frame yes,not the ability to tell a 2-3 difference in temp.

The Eath has gone thru many,many changes,still is and always will.

I just don't see anything conclusive.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mcorioles said:

Good point.

 Think it's fair to assume now many factors are in play that dictate a hurricanes size and intensity.

Yep......

A few years ago dust storms in the Sahara lead to a low activity year......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, banner1124 said:

One storm simply cannot serve as absolute proof of anything.  Posts like this give the deniers all the ammunition they could ever want

I understand that. My point is simply these storms are increasing in intensity and will continue to do so. There is a reason why that is happening. Deniers can deny all they want.

Look at the records Irma broke:

Irma is the strongest Atlantic basin hurricane ever recorded outside the Gulf of Mexico and the Caribbean Sea

It spent three days as a Category 5 hurricane, the longest Category 5 hurricane since satellite storm-tracking began

No storm on record has maintained winds 185 mph or above for as long as Irma (total of 37 hours)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, naive said:

I understand that. My point is simply these storms are increasing in intensity and will continue to do so. There is a reason why that is happening. Deniers can deny all they want.

Look at the records Irma broke:

Irma is the strongest Atlantic basin hurricane ever recorded outside the Gulf of Mexico and the Caribbean Sea

It spent three days as a Category 5 hurricane, the longest Category 5 hurricane since satellite storm-tracking began

No storm on record has maintained winds 185 mph or above for as long as Irma (total of 37 hours)

How about 100 years ago?

How would we know?

That's why hanging your coat on IRMA as proof is dangerous and nonsensical.

Edited by mcorioles

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Eastside Terp said:

True but el nino is also warm water and helps to suppress Atlantic hurricanes due to increased shear ......

I agree. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0