Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mcorioles

Journalist Claims Crackdiwn on Looters is White Supremecy

41 posts in this topic

15 minutes ago, bmorepunk said:

I'll have two cubes of crackdiwn in my covfefe.

Winning!  

4 hours ago, hst2 said:

Not really her point, but close:

"The overblown looting coverage points to a large and well-documented trend in racial bias in reporting on crime in the wake of natural disasters, as retired Army Lt. Gen. Russel L. Honore, who helped to manage the military response to Hurricane Katrina in 2005, told the Washington Post.

“People think that if you’re poor or black you’re always trying to steal something,” Honore said. “These warnings about looting validate the stereotypes that people hold about poor people.”

...Narratives of increased looting in the wake of environmental disasters are always inextricably linked to race and class, much in the same way that the storms themselves disproportionately impact the same poor and marginalized communities those narratives set in their crosshairs."

Link

Baloney. The only people of a certain race who get reported more for looting is because they are the ones doing the looting. The videos do not lie. And the looters arrested in Florida were stealing sportswear and shoes - not exactly the same as a desperate mom trying to get milk or water or food for her kids. The idiotic picture that you try to paint deserves nothing but scorn and derision for the falsehoods it attempts to portray.

19 minutes ago, Papi said:

Baloney. The only people of a certain race who get reported more for looting is because they are the ones doing the looting. The videos do not lie. And the looters arrested in Florida were stealing sportswear and shoes - not exactly the same as a desperate mom trying to get milk or water or food for her kids. The idiotic picture that you try to paint deserves nothing but scorn and derision for the falsehoods it attempts to portray.

Did you see in the quote where the storms themselves are racist?  :lol:

In essence, she's griping about the video that got the little darlings arrested. She seems to believe that white people use such equipment to trap blacks breaking laws. It's a white supremacy thing.

5 hours ago, hst2 said:

Not really her point, but close:

"The overblown looting coverage points to a large and well-documented trend in racial bias in reporting on crime in the wake of natural disasters, as retired Army Lt. Gen. Russel L. Honore, who helped to manage the military response to Hurricane Katrina in 2005, told the Washington Post.

“People think that if you’re poor or black you’re always trying to steal something,” Honore said. “These warnings about looting validate the stereotypes that people hold about poor people.”

...Narratives of increased looting in the wake of environmental disasters are always inextricably linked to race and class, much in the same way that the storms themselves disproportionately impact the same poor and marginalized communities those narratives set in their crosshairs."

Link

So you are blaming the reporters for making minorities look bad rather than the looters? That's a hoot.

I think the same mindset that goes berserk about looting is the same mindset that goes berserk about Antifa and the Black Bloc smashing windows at protests. And the latter group, while often masked, is almost certainly composed of white people. Note: I don't approve of these actions and support prosecuting people involved but they don't lead me into fits of histrionic rage either.

So when Asian business owners defended their businesses with arms from the rooftops of their properties during the LA Riots was that labeled Asian Supremacy? I don't recall that.

15 hours ago, soulflower said:

I think we as a society tend to place too much value in property and not enough in people.

But I agree that it was a bad Tweet

Do we really? I ask because I know with certainty that I'm not intervening directly if I see someone in my neighborhood destroying/stealing property. Not worth risking personal harm. However, if I see someone trying to harm your child or your grandmother, I am there.

By the way, the Baltimore Bike Share program has been closed down due in part to theft. But hey, we should place so much "value" on our property, right?

14 hours ago, jdsample said:

Who doesn't need 7 pair of Air Jordan's in a flood?  Just trying to survive.   In style.  Just be glad there wasn't a Jos. A. Banks in the neighborhood!  They would be trashed.  

They were obviously going to trade them for food, water and medicine.  ;)

14 hours ago, Rael said:

So you are blaming the reporters for making minorities look bad rather than the looters? That's a hoot.

I suggest you read the post you are referring to. Particularly the first sentence.

31 minutes ago, hst2 said:

I suggest you read the post you are referring to. Particularly the first sentence.

I suggest you take off the race blinkers and realize that all bad news is overblown.  Lot's more coverage of price gouging than looting during these two hurricanes.  Fatalities always gets top billing.  Next comes stories of desperation or miraculous rescues.

But what I found interesting was the biggest looting story I heard during these storms was about the lack of looting.  There was the liquor store in Texas with one wall and the roof blown off, and days later the undamaged shelves remained untouched and fully stocked.  

When looting does occur, I have never heard the press mention the race of the looters, but where film is available, the press really doesn't have control over who is photographed looting.  

23 hours ago, mcorioles said:

Ok let's get this out of the way I know......it's crackdown.

But feel free to troll that.

Who you calling a trile?:P

2 hours ago, jdsample said:

I suggest you take off the race blinkers and realize that all bad news is overblown.  Lot's more coverage of price gouging than looting during these two hurricanes.  Fatalities always gets top billing.  Next comes stories of desperation or miraculous rescues.

But what I found interesting was the biggest looting story I heard during these storms was about the lack of looting.  There was the liquor store in Texas with one wall and the roof blown off, and days later the undamaged shelves remained untouched and fully stocked.  

When looting does occur, I have never heard the press mention the race of the looters, but where film is available, the press really doesn't have control over who is photographed looting.  

No....but they do have control over showing the footage.;)

That's what hst and the op were after. The media should ignore the issue-anything else is racist.:rolleyes:

2 minutes ago, Dr Johnny Fever said:

No....but they do have control over showing the footage.;)

That's what hst and the op were after. The media should ignore the issue-anything else is racist.:rolleyes:

Yes, the lesson to be learned is only report crime committed by white people, and ignore everything else, or you are a racist.  

20 hours ago, bmorepunk said:

I'll have two cubes of crackdiwn in my covfefe.

Crackdiwn in covfefe? Yuck.