Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RavingManiac

Andy Dalton

7 posts in this topic

After watching the preseason, I thought this defense would dominate in the regular season as well. I wasn't 100% sure as things can change once the regular season started. I was happy to see the defense dominate the Bengals like I thought they would. 

Now the big question. I see a lot of guys on here and even the media talking about how bad Andy Dalton looked and how he needs to play better. Do you think Andy Dalton just played bad because he just had a bad game or was it the defense that made him look bad? I think this defense is going to make a lot of QBs look bad or "just have a bad game". 

The D line was consistently, and quickly right off the snap, pushing the Bengals O line back in to Dalton's face.  You see so much of that and you start to get jittery and it gets in your head.  There comes a point where the QB knows that it's not just a couple bad plays, he's breaking the huddle knowing that his protection is not going to hold up for more than a couple counts.  There will be match-ups against other O lines that aren't as one-sided, but this D line is going to be the key for the Ravens to stay in / win games.

Edited by Ravens2006

Dalton's always been a guy that gets rattled.  Some times he has been able to just chuck it in the face of a pass rush in the vicinity of AJ Green and have Green wind up scoring a TD.  The law of averages has been catching up to him.

The Bengals line IS bad, but the Ravens pass rush has been kicking in high gear since the start of pre-season, they are legit.

First of all, yes the Ravens defense looked good.  But Andy Dalton looked bad, real bad.  Part of that was the Ravens pressure.  And part of the blame goes to Cincinnati's O-line.  It was a known problem for Cincy during the offseason.  The Ravens had good pressure and Cincy either didn't or couldn't adjust.  Andy Dalton is a QB who needs the team around him to be better.  He isn't good enough to elevate them, they need to elevate him.  Sunday, the Bengals were not good enough to give him any help and he looked bad.  The one int he threw was because he threw the ball off of Suggs helmet.  I mean seriously, if you can't get the ball out higher than that across the line you aren't going to have much success.  

26 minutes ago, cprenegade said:

First of all, yes the Ravens defense looked good.  But Andy Dalton looked bad, real bad.  Part of that was the Ravens pressure.  And part of the blame goes to Cincinnati's O-line.  It was a known problem for Cincy during the offseason.  The Ravens had good pressure and Cincy either didn't or couldn't adjust.  Andy Dalton is a QB who needs the team around him to be better.  He isn't good enough to elevate them, they need to elevate him.  Sunday, the Bengals were not good enough to give him any help and he looked bad.  The one int he threw was because he threw the ball off of Suggs helmet.  I mean seriously, if you can't get the ball out higher than that across the line you aren't going to have much success.  

It was funny to hear the announcers talking about how important it was for Ravens defenders to get their hands up even when they can't get to the QB, then on the replay it was clear that Dalton threw the ball right into Suggs helmet. I think Suggs did elevate a bit, but still. He didn't block it with his hands; the ball bounced right off of his helmet.

11 hours ago, OriginalColtsFan said:

It was funny to hear the announcers talking about how important it was for Ravens defenders to get their hands up even when they can't get to the QB, then on the replay it was clear that Dalton threw the ball right into Suggs helmet. I think Suggs did elevate a bit, but still. He didn't block it with his hands; the ball bounced right off of his helmet.

Coach Pees keeps telling his players to put their heads on the ball. Suggs took it literally.

1 hour ago, ncbirdfan said:

Coach Pees keeps telling his players to put their heads on the ball. Suggs took it literally.

Coach Pees is wise.