Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Persepolis

College Park City Council Grants Voting Rights to Non-US Citizens

122 posts in this topic

The College Park city council voted on Tuesday, 12 Sept 2017, to allow non-US citizens the right to vote in local elections:

http://www.fox5dc.com/news/local-news/college-park-weighing-proposal-that-would-allow-non-us-citizens-to-vote-in-local-elections

The gradual, inexorable erosion of things once thought important (in this case, being a citizen) continues.

“This is the way the world ends, Not with a bang but a whimper.”  T.S. Eliot

This is what failure looks like.  We just haven't hit rock bottom, yet.

29 minutes ago, Persepolis said:

The College Park city council voted on Tuesday, 12 Sept 2017, to allow non-US citizens the right to vote in local elections:

http://www.fox5dc.com/news/local-news/college-park-weighing-proposal-that-would-allow-non-us-citizens-to-vote-in-local-elections

The gradual, inexorable erosion of things once thought important (in this case, being a citizen) continues.

It is the supposedly 'small' things that add up....the old 'for lack of a nail' thing.

Like many things we are seeing as of late.....what used to be something one strove for or cherished as 'special'. Has been watered down so much that ....well....those things are nothing.

An example of that is home ownership. People scrimped saved sacrificed to buy that first house for decades. Now ....got a sob story....life is rough.....WEEEEEELLLLLLLL LUCCKY YOU.....you qualify to move into COLUMBIA....one of the most prestigious communities in Maryland..... KKKKKAAAAAHHHHHHMMMMMONNNNNNNNNN DOWN!

I worked all my life and at some very well paying jobs in IT. I couldn't afford Columbia..... still can't.

I dunno....just in the name of common sense.....how does one justify 'giving' a home in such an exclusive area to someone that for the most part hasn't got a pot to urinate in.

And no this is not sour grapes. It is just the fact that if you water things down so what ever it is... a vote.... a house...to the point that ANYONE can have it.....the attached value is reduced and in some cases exponentially.

Edited by Guido2

I can't imagine anyone thinking this is a good idea.

Also, Columbia is neither expensive or desirable.  I don't follow your whine.

40 minutes ago, Persepolis said:

Do you live in College Park? If not why do you care who votes in their local elections?

8 minutes ago, Bawlmerian said:

It's better if you don't try to figure his nonsense out. You've been warned lol

I have no problem with allowing non-citizens who are legal permanent residents to vote in municipal elections.

Allowing illegal/undocumented immigrants to vote? No.

1 hour ago, Bawlmerian said:

If you don't get it....I am sorry.....I don't teach remedial thinking.

I dunno ...the meidian home value in Columbia is about twice what it is here in Gwynn Oak at minimum.

The median home value in Columbia is $344,800. The median home value in Gwynn Oak is $188,200. You can google that numbers if you wish.

The desirable aspect is purely an opinion thing.

Edited by Guido2

What an effective way to get rid of illegal voting.

Edited by hst2

3 minutes ago, hst2 said:

Your thread title is incorrect.

No it's not.

Care to address it now?

Later into the meeting, a council member proposed a new amendment that would only allow green card holders to vote and exclude undocumented immigrants. However, the vote on the green card amendment failed.

Edited by mcorioles

Just now, mcorioles said:

No it's not.

Later into the meeting, a council member proposed a new amendment that would only allow green card holders to vote and exclude undocumented immigrants. However, the vote on the green card amendment failed.

Indeed, my post is changed.

What does Columbia have to do with this?  Columbia isn't even an incorporated municipality.

Yeah, real shocker.  My concern is that this insanity spreads to areas that do actually affect me. 

Love how my thread  was moved from National News and merged.

Censorship 101.

Should have stated in National News

Edited by mcorioles

2 minutes ago, mcorioles said:

Love how my thread  was moved from National News and merged.

Censorship 101.

Yet it's reported in the national news:rolleyes:

3 minutes ago, jonsensback said:

I guess they think they are being clever merging and burying it over here?

8 minutes ago, jonsensback said:

I sent hem a message asking why.....this should be interesting.

I'm not sure if I disagree with Legal Resident Immigrants having some voting privileges. At least for local elections 

Undocumented Immigrants should have no voting privileges 

9 minutes ago, mcorioles said:

I sent hem a message asking why.....this should be interesting.

Do you really expect a straight answer? I never got one on editing quotes.

10 minutes ago, soulflower said:

I'm not sure if I disagree with Legal Resident Immigrants having some voting privileges. At least for local elections 

Undocumented Immigrants should have no voting privileges 

Well the devil is in the details...from the article............

College Park joins six other towns in allowing legal permanent residents and undocumented immigrants to vote in municipal elections.

Personally I have no issue with LPRs but undocumented? Ok some can make the argument that they are paying taxes etc. Fine. However, how does one pay taxes without a SS number? Or other LPR docs? Otherwise, even with paying taxes...how can they be allowed to vote without following proper procedure.

If anyone can explain this without racial BS overtones and in a logical fashion I would appreciate it. This has perplexed me for years.

Thanks in advance.

So how do the polls in that area separate the voters when a local election is also during a state election ( governor ).??

55 minutes ago, hst2 said:

What an effective way to get rid of illegal voting.

We could get rid of any problem of teacher shortages by eliminating standards.

7 minutes ago, Guido2 said:

Well the devil is in the details...from the article............

College Park joins six other towns in allowing legal permanent residents and undocumented immigrants to vote in municipal elections.

Personally I have no issue with LPRs but undocumented? Ok some can make the argument that they are paying taxes etc. Fine. However, how does one pay taxes without a SS number? Or other LPR docs? Otherwise, even with paying taxes...how can they be allowed to vote without following proper procedure.

If anyone can explain this without racial BS overtones and in a logical fashion I would appreciate it. This has perplexed me for years.

Thanks in advance.

The Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN) is a tax processing number issued by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) to ensure that people – including unauthorized immigrants – pay taxes even if they do not have a Social Security number and regardless of their immigration status.Apr 5, 2016

47 minutes ago, Baltimatt said:

What does Columbia have to do with this?  Columbia isn't even an incorporated municipality.

He is somehow jealous of people living in $350k houses 😂😂

6 minutes ago, soulflower said:
The Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN) is a tax processing number issued by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) to ensure that people – including unauthorized immigrants – pay taxes even if they do not have a Social Security number and regardless of their immigration status.Apr 5, 2016

Ok this is very helpful. So am I far off base when I say that the government is in affect condoning not being 'legal'...as long as you pay your taxes? Sounds it to me.