Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Persepolis

College Park City Council Grants Voting Rights to Non-US Citizens

120 posts in this topic

33 minutes ago, Bawlmerian said:

We could get rid of any problem of teacher shortages by eliminating standards.

Your suggestion that a citizen is a more informed voter than an undocumented immigrant is amusing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, stevez51 said:

So how do the polls in that area separate the voters when a local election is also during a state election ( governor ).??

That is what I was wondering.  Where I vote local issues are on the same ballot as statewide/national elections.  Do they get different ballots or do we just trust them not to vote on anything above the local level?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, hst2 said:

Your suggestion that a citizen is a more informed voter than an undocumented immigrant is amusing.

Your suggestion that we eliminate a problem by eliminating the law/regulation that made it illegal is ridiculous. 

 

Maybe we could eliminate illegal guns by getting rid of all of the gun laws. 

https://www.metro.us/news/local-news/philadelphia/daca-activists-mayor-kenney-help

Or maybe illegal aliens should not be required to carry insurance or register their vehicles. 

 

Quote

 

Advocates from local immigration non-profit New Sanctuary Movement Philly, elected officials and religious leaders delivered 3,100 petitions Thursday asking for an end to 'Livestop,' a program used to automatically tow cars of people without a driver's license, registration or insurance.

According to New Sanctuary Movement, in 2016, the program affected 15,000 people and earned the Philadelphia Parking Authority $6.5 million towing, storage fees, and auctioning cars.

"Livestop penalizes poor people in Philadelphia, including immigrants, who drive to meet their basic needs by towing their cars," organizers from New Sanctuary Movement (NSM) said. "Undocumented people in the state of Pennsylvania do not have a legal right to a driver’s license in the first place, which means that they are at immediate risk of losing their cars regardless of the reason they are initially stopped for."

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey, I roll in for a few basketball games a year.  Can I vote?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Bawlmerian said:

Your suggestion that we eliminate a problem by eliminating the law/regulation that made it illegal is ridiculous. 

 

Maybe we could eliminate illegal guns by getting rid of all of the gun laws. 

https://www.metro.us/news/local-news/philadelphia/daca-activists-mayor-kenney-help

Or maybe illegal aliens should not be required to carry insurance or register their vehicles. 

 

 

Why is it ridiculous?

Your comparisons are incongruous.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, hst2 said:

Why is it ridiculous?

Your comparisons are incongruous.

How so? How is ignoring one law any different that ignoring another? It is only a law for God's sake....phhhheefffff....it doesn't apply.

Your not seeing the parallels is beyond belief.

Or is this another ....'well that is different moment'? I am sure in your mind it is

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, hst2 said:

Why is it ridiculous?

Your comparisons are incongruous.

Because voting should be restricted to citizens.  Period. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Smokey 1 said:

That is what I was wondering.  Where I vote local issues are on the same ballot as statewide/national elections.  Do they get different ballots or do we just trust them not to vote on anything above the local level?

OOOOOhhhhhh I am suuureeeeeee they got that all figured out:lol: Or they can be trusted. :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Bawlmerian said:

Your suggestion that we eliminate a problem by eliminating the law/regulation that made it illegal is ridiculous. 

 

Maybe we could eliminate illegal guns by getting rid of all of the gun laws. 

https://www.metro.us/news/local-news/philadelphia/daca-activists-mayor-kenney-help

Or maybe illegal aliens should not be required to carry insurance or register their vehicles. 

 

Quote and in conjuction with above.

 'Livestop,' a program used to automatically tow cars of people without a driver's license, registration or insurance.

"Livestop penalizes poor people in Philadelphia, including immigrants, who drive to meet their basic needs by towing their cars," organizers from New Sanctuary Movement (NSM) said. "Undocumented people in the state of Pennsylvania do not have a legal right to a driver’s license in the first place, which means that they are at immediate risk of losing their cars regardless of the reason they are initially stopped for."

 

I sat an stared at the wall for a moment or two....trying to calm down.

OOOhhhhhh boooo hoooooo. Well if they weren't ILLEGALLY ON THE ROAD....duh.

ARE THESE PEOPLE ON F'N CRACK? Sure....screw the laws....screw society....what the heck is going on? Sure just throw all the laws in the waste paper basket....just so it is 'fair'. SMH

So.... following their ahhhhh logic. Screw paying for registering my car, and the insurance....register my guns....get permits....screw that.....building permits....your kidding.

Nope....just free wheel'n and doin' what I please.

Oh poop.... I am white....I earn a good living...LAWS ONLY APPLY TO ME and the rest of the 'normals'.

This is so totally screwed up.

 

 

Edited by Guido2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, bmore_ken said:

Do you live in College Park? If not why do you care who votes in their local elections?

Do you live in College Park?  Why do you care if he cares?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, RileyMartin said:

Do you live in College Park?  Why do you care if he cares?

This is a message board. Aren't we allowed to ask questions? Who made you board police?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, bmore_ken said:

Do you live in College Park? If not why do you care who votes in their local elections?

You  do realize this is a message board where people raise questions for the purpose of discussion, don't you? 

If illegals can vote than legals should have a reasonable interest in discussing why College Park would allow it while refusing to allow legal voters to have a say and vote on it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, bmore_ken said:

Do you live in College Park? If not why do you care who votes in their local elections?

I care.  I care because I do not want this to become the norm elsewhere. 

A mayor of a city could easily promise sanctuary status and pack an area with illegal aliens, give them the right to vote, and basically rig an election.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, RileyMartin said:

Do you live in College Park?  Why do you care if he cares?

Can aliens like the Biavians and O-Qua Tangin Wann vote in College Park?

Edited by Hank Moody

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Hank Moody said:

Can aliens like the Biavians and O-Qua Tangin Wann vote in College Park?

The results have already been downloaded and can be found in The Coming of Tan the Millennium Edition on sale for $20.00.

Targzissians cannot vote 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Bawlmerian said:

A mayor of a city could easily promise sanctuary status and pack an area with illegal aliens, give them the right to vote, and basically rig an election.

Interestingly, Baltimore City is actually a "county", rather than a municipality. County elections (including voter registration standards) are governed by State law. A municipality, on the other hand, can craft its own election and voter registration rules, applicable only to municipal elections.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While I don't really agree with it, this has happened in localities in other states.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Smokey 1 said:

That is what I was wondering.  Where I vote local issues are on the same ballot as statewide/national elections.  Do they get different ballots or do we just trust them not to vote on anything above the local level?

They would need separate voting machines just for the non citizens.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bawlmerian said:

I care.  I care because I do not want this to become the norm elsewhere. 

A mayor of a city could easily promise sanctuary status and pack an area with illegal aliens, give them the right to vote, and basically rig an election.

You honestly think that's a realistic possibility?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ivanbalt said:

While I don't really agree with it, this has happened in localities in other states.

It's also been going on here as well.

Quote

 Five other municipalities, all in Montgomery County — Barnesville, Garrett Park, Glen Echo, Martin’s Additions and Somerset — allow noncitizens to vote, according to the Maryland Municipal League.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/takoma-park-stands-by-non-us-citizen-voting-law/2012/03/13/gIQAVBcgBS_story.html?utm_term=.01cc02813663

Last I checked the world hasn't come to an end because of it.

Edited by bmore_ken

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ode2Joy said:

You  do realize this is a message board where people raise questions for the purpose of discussion, don't you? 

 

Tell it to Riley

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, bmore_ken said:

You honestly think that's a realistic possibility?

 Absolutely. If i was a politician that's what I would do.  What not?  Seems like a logical plan. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, bmore_ken said:

It's also been going on here as well.

Last I checked the world hasn't come to an end because of it.

Is that your measure for if something is OK? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Bawlmerian said:

Is that your measure for if something is OK? 

It's my way of saying non citizens voting in Montgomery County hasn't affected your life , why would non citizen voters in College Park? For the record I don't care either way. If someone proposes it in Baltimore County I'll have a reason to care. 

Edited by bmore_ken

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, bmore_ken said:

It's my way of saying non citizens voting in Montgomery County hasn't affected your life , why would non citizen voters in College Park? For the record I don't care either way. If someone proposes it in Baltimore County I'll have a reason to care. 

I happen to think about things that do not effect me directly.  I was in Hilton Head a few weeks ago and they had these turtle egg protection spots on the beach.  I could have dug them all up and smashed the eggs.  The existence of turtles in the ocean does not change you life at all.  Would that be OK?  For that matter I could pick up a hitchhiker and bury him in a shallow grave.  Does not stop the world from spinning. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0