Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Persepolis

College Park City Council Grants Voting Rights to Non-US Citizens

120 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, Bawlmerian said:

I happen to think about things that do not effect me directly.  I was in Hilton Head a few weeks ago and they had these turtle egg protection spots on the beach.  I could have dug them all up and smashed the eggs.  The existence of turtles in the ocean does not change you life at all.  Would that be OK?  For that matter I could pick up a hitchhiker and bury him in a shallow grave.  Does not stop the world from spinning. 

Yeah because those are the same thing as a jurisdiction allowing people to vote that you don't think should. I would guess those who live in College Park know more about their needs than some old fat guy  in Baltimore County. That would be me, so you don't think I was referring to you. :D

13 minutes ago, bmore_ken said:

Yeah because those are the same thing as a jurisdiction allowing people to vote that you don't think should. I would guess those who live in College Park know more about their needs than some old fat guy  in Baltimore County. That would be me, so you don't think I was referring to you. :D

Thanks for the clarification.  I resemble that remark

28 minutes ago, bmore_ken said:

But same thing or not that is your logic.  You would oppose it at home.  But not elsewhere.  Even knowing that the legal citizens could potentially get their voices silenced by illegal aliens. 

2 minutes ago, Bawlmerian said:

But same thing or not that is your logic.  You would oppose it at home.  But not elsewhere.  Even knowing that the legal citizens could potentially get their voices silenced by illegal aliens. 

When did I say I would oppose it? :confused:

National Voter Registration Act

Federal law as it is defined. 

The Law clearly states:

(a) It shall be unlawful for any alien to vote in any election held solely or in part for the purpose of electing a candidate for the office of President, Vice President, Presidential elector, Member of the Senate, Member of the House of Representatives, Delegate from the District of Columbia, or Resident Commissioner, unless—

(1)
the election is held partly for some other purpose;
(2)
aliens are authorized to vote for such other purpose under a State constitution or statute or a local ordinance; and
(3)
voting for such other purpose is conducted independently of voting for a candidate for such Federal offices, in such a manner that an alien has the opportunity to vote for such other purpose, but not an opportunity to vote for a candidate for any one or more of such Federal offices.
Edited by AugusteDupin

11 hours ago, Persepolis said:

The College Park city council voted on Tuesday, 12 Sept 2017, to allow non-US citizens the right to vote in local elections:

http://www.fox5dc.com/news/local-news/college-park-weighing-proposal-that-would-allow-non-us-citizens-to-vote-in-local-elections

The gradual, inexorable erosion of things once thought important (in this case, being a citizen) continues.

“This is the way the world ends, Not with a bang but a whimper.”  T.S. Eliot

This is what failure looks like.  We just haven't hit rock bottom, yet.

Is this for "empowerment" of non citizens/illegals or for "empowerment" of Democrats?

probably the latter

22 minutes ago, AugusteDupin said:

True but federal laws "trump" (no pun intended) state laws. 

alien defined 

Penalties defined

Penalties cont...

Citizenship defined

also the legal term "deportable aliens," my favorite, which should be used more often in discourse and in the media

https://www.uscis.gov/ilink/docView/SLB/HTML/SLB/0-0-0-1/0-0-0-29/0-0-0-5684.html

INA: ACT 237 - GENERAL CLASSES OF DEPORTABLE ALIENS
Sec. 237 1/ [8 U.S.C. 1227] 

(a) Classes of Deportable Aliens.-Any alien (including an alien crewman) in and admitted to the United States shall, upon the order of the Attorney General, be removed if the alien is within one or more of the following classes of deportable aliens: 

(1) Inadmissible at time of entry or of adjustment of status or violates status.- 

(A) Inadmissible aliens.-Any alien who at the time of entry or adjustment of status was within one or more of the classes of aliens inadmissible by the law existing at such time is deportable.

(B) 2/ Present in violation of law.-Any alien who is present in the United States in violation of this Act or any other law of the 2b/ United States, or whose nonimmigrant visa (or other documentation authorizing admission into the United States as a nonimmigrant) has been revoked under section 221(i) is deportable. 

(C) Violated nonimmigrant status or condition of entry.-

(i) Nonimmigrant status violators.-Any alien who was admitted as a nonimmigrant and who has failed to maintain the nonimmigrant status in which the alien was admitted or to which it was changed under section 248 , or to comply with the conditions of any such status, is deportable. 

(ii) Violators of conditions of entry.-Any alien whom the Secretary of Health and Human Services certifies has failed to comply with terms, conditions, and controls that were imposed under section 212(g) is deportable.

Edited by boink

Further proof that liberalism is a mental disorder.

14 minutes ago, Manny said:

Further proof that liberalism is a mental disorder.

No.  Just proof that you see things that way

2 hours ago, AugusteDupin said:

True but federal laws "trump" (no pun intended) state laws. 

alien defined 

Penalties defined

Penalties cont...

Citizenship defined

Actually they don't. That's why election rules are set by jurisdiction. Example, Montgomery County allowing non citizens to vote. 

Just now, bmore_ken said:

Actually they don't. That's why election rules are set by jurisdiction. Example, Montgomery County allowing non citizens to vote. 

Uh actually yeah they do. There's a separation, however, overall the last say goes to the Feds if required. If you read my posts in its entirety, you'd see that. 

the city council said that most of the ppl they talked to are for it, so why wouldnt they further the will of the ppl they represent?  college park is now more inclusive, and good on them for that. 

8 hours ago, AugusteDupin said:

Uh actually yeah they do. There's a separation, however, overall the last say goes to the Feds if required. If you read my posts in its entirety, you'd see that. 

I don't need to read your crap to know the feds don't run state and local elections. 

1 hour ago, yeah said:

the city council said that most of the ppl they talked to are for it, so why wouldnt they further the will of the ppl they represent?  college park is now more inclusive, and good on them for that. 

Exactly my point. 

4 hours ago, yeah said:

excuse my ignorance....what is a ppl? Or is it people and all your vowels don't work on you keyboard?

Edited by Guido2

I wish I could vote in city elections, I've own a house and work in the city.  I would like to be able to vote on city council elections.  I don't want to vote enough to become a citizen but it would be nice to have say on certain issues.

53 minutes ago, Guido2 said:

excuse my ignorance....what is a ppl? Or is it people and all your vowels don't work on you keyboard?

Apparently his shift key does not work either.

5 hours ago, yeah said:

I am not interested in the will of non citizens. 

21 minutes ago, downunder said:

I wish I could vote in city elections, I've own a house and work in the city.  I would like to be able to vote on city council elections.  I don't want to vote enough to become a citizen but it would be nice to have say on certain issues.

Well ...push for it man you have a rep...contact him/her.....seems College Park is your blueprint. Mention that....bet you get a....hey what a great idea from them.

You pay taxes etc. right. More than a substantial reason considering College Park.

23 minutes ago, Bawlmerian said:

I am not interested in the will of non citizens. 

I get your point....but I think there is a difference between a tax paying legal card carrying non citizen and illegals.

Edited by Guido2

Very bad decision, hopefully the courts can put a stop to this before it spreads.

2 hours ago, Guido2 said:

I get your point....but I think there is a difference between a tax paying legal card carrying non citizen and illegals.

Of course.  But if it was up to me neither would have a vote or be able to donate to campaigns.

3 hours ago, Dystopia said:

Very bad decision, hopefully the courts can put a stop to this before it spreads.

The courts can't. There's nothing illegal or unconstitutional about it for them to even get involved.