Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mr. Buzzcut

Britton: Is it too late?

21 posts in this topic

A  1.470 WHIP for 2017.

Is it too late to get a prime package?

Another resource mismanaged?

 

Edited by Mr. Buzzcut

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Angelos blocked the deal that DD worked out. DD is not a golden boy, but this was not his doing. Angelos voided. Upside? we got Beckham. downside? we got one year left to compete and DD couldn't assemble a good sp staff if Koufax landed on his lap.

 

edit: in fact, DD would probably non-tender Koufax lol

Edited by dshawg1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, dshawg1 said:

Angelos blocked the deal that DD worked out. DD is not a golden boy, but this was not his doing. Angelos voided. Upside? we got Beckham. downside? we got one year left to compete and DD couldn't assemble a good sp staff if Koufax landed on his lap.

 

edit: in fact, DD would probably non-tender Koufax lol

Not necessarily true. Multiple reports, in fact, have stated that the proposed deal for Britton never got to Angelos since Houston had made six or seven of their top prospects unavailable. If Houston's offer wasn't good enough to make it to Oriole ownership, then it's safe to say the Astros were trying to low-ball a bit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If they weren't going to improve the starting pitching for 2017, they should have looked to trade him last winter.

The people on the inside couldn't have seriously expected to contend.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, mdrunning said:

Not necessarily true. Multiple reports, in fact, have stated that the proposed deal for Britton never got to Angelos since Houston had made six or seven of their top prospects unavailable. If Houston's offer wasn't good enough to make it to Oriole ownership, then it's safe to say the Astros were trying to low-ball a bit.

Not what I heard. Agree to disagree.

 

It definitely made it to Angelos' office-3 separate deals. It's unclear if they were 3 different players (I heard Seth Smith might have been one other) or 3 different Britton deals..

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, mdrunning said:

Not necessarily true. Multiple reports, in fact, have stated that the proposed deal for Britton never got to Angelos since Houston had made six or seven of their top prospects unavailable. If Houston's offer wasn't good enough to make it to Oriole ownership, then it's safe to say the Astros were trying to low-ball a bit.

Can’t do facts around here MD 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, dshawg1 said:

Not what I heard. Agree to disagree.

 

It definitely made it to Angelos' office-3 separate deals. It's unclear if they were 3 different players (I heard Seth Smith might have been one other) or 3 different Britton deals..

 

 

How can you disagree on things that have been reported by numerous people 

lol ah yes your sources have been right ummmmmm 0 times this year 😂 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, bleedingorangeandblack said:

How can you disagree on things that have been reported by numerous people 

lol ah yes your sources have been right ummmmmm 0 times this year 😂 

Okay-it's obvious you are just trolling.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, dshawg1 said:

Okay-it's obvious you are just trolling.

Not trolling at all just pointing out that it was reported the Houston balked

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, bleedingorangeandblack said:

Not trolling at all just pointing out that it was reported the Houston balked

This is what I heard. And much of this was reported over at the OH as well.

3 deals were presented to Angelos from DD. Unclear if all 3 were diferent deals from one player but my understanding is at least 1 of them was for another player besides Britton (Seth Smith perhaps) so WHY they failed is up for interpretation.

It could be:

1. Angelos didn't want to give up.

OR

2. The prospects on the Britton deal would not pass the physicals (which makes a lot of sense because pieces of the deal were out for the year).

I don't think anyone knows for sure why Angelos vetoed, but it was Angelos, not DD.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, dshawg1 said:

This is what I heard. And much of this was reported over at the OH as well.

3 deals were presented to Angelos from DD. Unclear if all 3 were diferent deals from one player but my understanding is at least 1 of them was for another player besides Britton (Seth Smith perhaps) so WHY they failed is up for interpretation.

It could be:

1. Angelos didn't want to give up.

OR

2. The prospects on the Britton deal would not pass the physicals (which makes a lot of sense because pieces of the deal were out for the year).

I don't think anyone knows for sure why Angelos vetoed, but it was Angelos, not DD.

Angelos 

the one constant sadly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, bleedingorangeandblack said:

Angelos 

the one constant sadly

Yeah...sadly is right. The Skins owner is worse though-I would take Angelos over Dan Snyder LOL. and definitely over Loria! (thank goodness he is going away)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, dshawg1 said:

Angelos blocked the deal that DD worked out. DD is not a golden boy, but this was not his doing. Angelos voided. Upside? we got Beckham. downside? we got one year left to compete and DD couldn't assemble a good sp staff if Koufax landed on his lap.

 

edit: in fact, DD would probably non-tender Koufax lol

Not an Angelos micro management fan but Houston was offering garbage. A couple guys had injury issues.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, dshawg1 said:

Angelos blocked the deal that DD worked out. DD is not a golden boy, but this was not his doing. Angelos voided. Upside? we got Beckham. downside? we got one year left to compete and DD couldn't assemble a good sp staff if Koufax landed on his lap.

 

edit: in fact, DD would probably non-tender Koufax lol

 

4 hours ago, mdrunning said:

Not necessarily true. Multiple reports, in fact, have stated that the proposed deal for Britton never got to Angelos since Houston had made six or seven of their top prospects unavailable. If Houston's offer wasn't good enough to make it to Oriole ownership, then it's safe to say the Astros were trying to low-ball a bit.

I'm assuming no one has links. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, mdrunning said:

You see this is the problem with "sources"

Quote

Owner Jim Crane certainly wasn't happy about deals not getting done and one in particular that got nixed. 

"We had a couple of other deals on the plate," he told ESPN 97.5 Radio in Houston. "They were agreed on in principle. Then medicals were exchanged and they got vetoed at the top."

The problem, though, is that multiple sources have said the deal for Britton with the Orioles never got to the top. This could have been in reference to another trade. 

Do you believe Houston's OWNER or do you believe MULTIPLE UNNAMED SOURCES? And that doesn't exactly say whether or not a deal for Britton got to Angelos or not since there is more than one deal in question apparently. Kudos for providing a link though. Your turn dshawg :)

Edited by bmore_ken

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, bmore_ken said:

You see this is the problem with "sources"

Do you believe Houston's OWNER or do you believe MULTIPLE UNNAMED SOURCES? And that doesn't exactly say whether or not a deal for Britton got Angelos or not since there is more than one deal in question. Kudos for providing a link though. Your turn dshawg :)

Houston's owner could very well have been covering his own arse, especially when you consider that the Astros also missed out on several other deals for relievers besides Britton. If Houston's offer started with their eighth-best prospect, then I've got to question Mr. Crane as to how close the Astros actually were to a deal for Britton. 

Although Houston later went out and got Verlander just before the Sept.1 deadline, the truth is they had the resources to help themselves by the non-waiver deadline and simply didn't do it. It's hard to blame Angelos or anyone else for that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, bmore_ken said:

You see this is the problem with "sources"

Do you believe Houston's OWNER or do you believe MULTIPLE UNNAMED SOURCES? And that doesn't exactly say whether or not a deal for Britton got to Angelos or not since there is more than one deal in question apparently. Kudos for providing a link though. Your turn dshawg :)

Who’s side are you on lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, bleedingorangeandblack said:

Who’s side are you on lol

No one's. I just have a pet peeve when people claim they know what went down, when in reality none of us really know what happened since neither DD or Angelos has addressed the issue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes its too late.  Even the Houston package wasn't great from everything I read don't include any of there top 6 or 7 prospects.  Britton is in Jim Johnson value territory. Basically a salary dump.   We'll keep him for 2018 and I would expect him to be pretty good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0