Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lawman 27

Head in the Sand? (Baltimore's crime rate).

7 posts in this topic

In this Sunday's Sun (Sep 10) "Kal's view" shows a cartoon of people with their heads in the sand.

This is interesting as on Page 4 there is an article entitled: " Baltimore may surpass New York in homicides."  In that article, the reporter* says that the "distinction owes more to New York's stunning decline in crime more than Baltimore's relatively stubborn crime rate."

Talk about a head in the sand, it is just like a Sun writer to try and take the focus off of Baltimore's crime by focusing on New York.

NOTE TO SUN: START FOCUSING ON BALTIMORE'S CRIME RATE and ways on reducing it! Crime is out of control and acknowledging it is needed before it can be reduced.

*In all fairness, the Sun's writers probably don't have their heads in the sand...More likely they have their heads too far up the Politicians' bottoms to see reality!!

Fixing the crime problem is easy. Legalize drugs. Abolish parole and probation. Mandatory sentences for gun crimes. Guido made another thread which shows how many murderers and victims had previous criminal records, drug convictions, and were heavily involved in the drug game. Good luck finding one politician to propose any solutions like those. 

4 hours ago, bmore_ken said:

Fixing the crime problem is easy. Legalize drugs. Abolish parole and probation. Mandatory sentences for gun crimes. Guido made another thread which shows how many murderers and victims had previous criminal records, drug convictions, and were heavily involved in the drug game. Good luck finding one politician to propose any solutions like those. 

And that's the name of that tune.

While I would not abolish parole and probation I would certainly restrict it's use to 1st time offenders who show the potential for not returning to the criminal lifestyle.

And I would reinstate the death penalty. There's absolute no reason why people like Dylann Roof should be living, and living relatively well, at taxpayers' expense.

2 minutes ago, VOSA said:

And that's the name of that tune.

While I would not abolish parole and probation I would certainly restrict it's use to 1st time offenders who show the potential for not returning to the criminal lifestyle.

And I would reinstate the death penalty. There's absolute no reason why people like Dylann Roof should be living, and living relatively well, at taxpayers' expense.

I could agree with that for non violent offenders. And I agree on the death penalty.As long as there's more than just eye witness evidence to the murder. 

17 hours ago, bmore_ken said:

Too bad Kurt Schmoke is no longer in politics. He said that about the drug trade decades ago. He was right. 

Decriminalizing drugs is always tossed out as a way to decrease crime and murders and it  may well be..

Maryland and several other states have decriminalized marijuana (supposedly for medicinal purposes but I'll bet we see a cascade of fake "scrips" ) so let's see how well that works, whether it cuts into the dope trade..

2 hours ago, Papi said:

Too bad Kurt Schmoke is no longer in politics. He said that about the drug trade decades ago. He was right. 

I agree with ken that decriminalization and more or less open availability to drugs may undercut the profit motive/crime aspect of the illegal. However, unless there is also a mechanism in place to 'help' those that are drug dependent and that mechanism provides drugs at or below street market cost and can be an 'at will' purchase. It would fail.

BTW when I say 'at will' I mean the user can walk in and say I NEED A FIX NOW and gets it....and not based on some whimsical statistics that some pin head whipped up.

To work it would have to be 'at will' initially...then gradually tapering off based on stats. So the users can adjust to a regiment slowly. But know they have consistent, reasonably priced and safe drugs.

JMTs...no proof.

Edited by Guido2