Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DisaptdDon

Loyola Dons

343 posts in this topic

Disappointed but not surprised by Loyola's loss to BL and Carrol.  Hope we can beat Curley?  May be the only chance for a win this year.  Coaching still appears to be a continuing problem.  Boys play hard but as in the last several years are not demonstrating the football fundamentals/schemes that should be the foundation of a competitive program.  Hiring an existing coach. from last years staff is not the change needed to get Loyola back on track.

Wait a second, they put a whole new offense in and are playing with a bunch of young guys. The new coaches are going to need time to get their system in. Did you really think it would happen over night. If you look at coach Zehyoue the last 2 seasons as Oline coach, the Oline was the most consistent aspect of the team. Give the man a chance

DD - Have to agree with jbmad. Coach Z has the football IQ and coaching experience to get the job done. The AD and board are not vested in building a successful football program, so it is what it is. LB should really be playing in the 'B" division if the admin will not get behind the FB program. That said, gotta give the coach a little break here.

Watch all the games the past two years and was hard pressed to see the improvement.  No consistent running game or pass protection.   Team crushed by A conference opponents.  I hope coach Z is successful but have doubts that the triple option is the answer.

Wait a second again chief, look at the points scored on offense vs the points given up on defense. You need to watch more closely

19 minutes ago, DisaptdDon said:

Watch all the games the past two years and was hard pressed to see the improvement.  No consistent running game or pass protection.   Team crushed by A conference opponents.  I hope coach Z is successful but have doubts that the triple option is the answer.

The option offense is best for teams who lack pure upfront power and team size.  Option is your best option.

24 minutes ago, DisaptdDon said:

The offense averaged 22 points a game against A teams last year but have up a ton more. 

Have to agree with jbmad here. The Dons will be better but it will not be quick. It probably is a given that they will not be given the latitude of SFA to give athletic aid. On an athlete per athlete comparison they can not compete with the numbers and entrance requirements of MSJ or CHC. Gilman and McD they should be competitive with, but both of those schools can decide at any year to pay for a championship and make it happen. Spalding is probably the best comparison for them now and their head coach is very good and has his system humming. 

As it stands now, the only way the Dons will compete is on scheme and heart. It will take a while for this years boys to show they have that part down. 

Edited by sparky1

38 minutes ago, DisaptdDon said:

Besides the top 3 of SFA ,Spalding and McD.  MSJ 26 , CHC 17 Gilman 13 and Loyola  22 points per game against A conf opponents,  so what were you watching that didn't show improvements on offense 

21 minutes ago, jbmad said:

Besides the top 3 of SFA ,Spalding and McD.  MSJ 26 , CHC 17 Gilman 13 and Loyola  22 points per game against A conf opponents,  so what were you watching that didn't show improvements on offense 

They haven't played an A Conference team yet, so you don't know if their offense has improved or not. 

I agree with you about giving the coach time, but also agree with the OP. The new coach has been at the school for a while now, it's not like he's totally new and losing to TWO B conference teams(neither being Palotti) is IMO horrible! 

1 minute ago, GREYHOUND ALUM said:

They haven't played an A Conference team yet, so you don't know if their offense has improved or not. 

I agree with you about giving the coach time, but also agree with the OP. The new coach has been at the school for a while now, it's not like he's totally new and losing to TWO B conference teams(neither being Palotti) is IMO horrible! 

He said he didn't see any improvement the two years before this season. He was new to the school 2 yrs ago, not a whole lot he could say. You yourself said the Loyola defense was horrible and that's what I am saying. Had Loyola offense got to play the defense they would have put up 40 like everyone else.  Had it not been for Loyola you guys would have averaged single digits against A conf teams last year. 

Have been watching Loyola for many years since the eighties. Agree the offense performed much better than the defense although not a high bar.  It seems to make sense that as a new coach you would fix the defense and build on the existing offensive scheme rather than change it.

16 minutes ago, jbmad said:

He said he didn't see any improvement the two years before this season. He was new to the school 2 yrs ago, not a whole lot he could say. You yourself said the Loyola defense was horrible and that's what I am saying. Had Loyola offense got to play the defense they would have put up 40 like everyone else.  Had it not been for Loyola you guys would have averaged single digits against A conf teams last year. 

To me, improvement is only based on wins and losses. I'm strictly talking about this year. And this year, losing to Boys Latin and John Carroll is horrible. He's familiar with all the players and their strengths, so he really doesn't get a pass. 

26 minutes ago, GREYHOUND ALUM said:

To me, improvement is only based on wins and losses. I'm strictly talking about this year. And this year, losing to Boys Latin and John Carroll is horrible. He's familiar with all the players and their strengths, so he really doesn't get a pass. 

What about Gilman's coach, he's been there A lot longer and the only game they will win is maybe the Loyola game. 

And not only that but Gilman went and hired Loyola co DC from last year, with that horrible D how smart was that. 

1 hour ago, jbmad said:

What about Gilman's coach, he's been there A lot longer and the only game they will win is maybe the Loyola game. 

Gilman's Coach hadn't coached Varsity football EVER! He only coached JV, and hadn't done that in many years until two years ago. What are you talking about? Also, if Gilman start the transfer(and pretty sure they have to), they will beat more than Loyola. CHC will not beat them. Jury still out on MSJ. And Gilman didn't lose to two B conference teams!! 

Edited by GREYHOUND ALUM

22 minutes ago, jbmad said:

And not only that but Gilman went and hired Loyola co DC from last year, with that horrible D how smart was that. 

Defense isn't an issue for Gilman at all this year. The Loyola coach is their special teams and LB coach(which is actually the only weak spot on their defense). 

2 hours ago, GREYHOUND ALUM said:

Agreed.....any Miaa-s school with a real program as almost all of them have...should not lose to schools like BL and Carrol.....a school like Loyola should have the capacity to line up on any given day and use a power running  scheme to either score or set up at least half of its points.....if the coach is relying on the option to get it done, this is nothing less then smoke and mirrors...if the coach is using smoke and mirrors after two years, then apparently he has failed at attracting the talent required to win the big games..... 

3 hours ago, DayWalker said:

The option offense is best for teams who lack pure upfront power and team size.  Option is your best option.

Disagree.....the best option for a talent challenged team is and has always been double and triple tightends with play action....all day long...from there the wing T...Then the Power T......Then the I-Formation...then perhaps the option.....

Edited by AgentOrange

18 minutes ago, AgentOrange said:

Disagree.....the best option for a talent challenged team is and has always been double and triple tightends with play action....all day long

What!!!!!  :D

AO, consider why the services academies run option (flex).  There are not 350lbs earth mover linemen at these places but quick and flexible athletes.  Flex QBs don't have to be Dwayne Haskins or Kasim Hill rocket-passers but just quick decision makers.  A good option (flex) team can far more better stay in a game or even control it against a much bigger stronger team.  If Loyola is lacking behind, then go with the flex to save their behind.

Edited by DayWalker

Those Loyola supporters that want to get rid of their new head coach after 2 games must be smoking that LOUD.  I thought the guy was an OL coach not anOC.  Gthfoh, and I hate the Dons.  I don't have family that went to Loyola.  So I don't have the touchy-freely attitude about their Alumni like other CHC alumni. My son graduated from the Hall and my nephew will be there in 2018.  FTD!

Edited by TheGuru

Have you seen RBS this year?

1 hour ago, GREYHOUND ALUM said:

Gilman's Coach hadn't coached Varsity football EVER! He only coached JV, and hadn't done that in many years until two years ago. What are you talking about? Also, if Gilman start the transfer(and pretty sure they have to), they will beat more than Loyola. CHC will not beat them. Jury still out on MSJ. And Gilman didn't lose to two B conference teams!! 

Double or nothing! Gilman is going down!

9 minutes ago, DayWalker said:

Have you seen RBS this year?

Still breaking down Wise and CHC to reply to 85Knight in Week 3 thread  Haven't watched the Gilman/RBS video yet.  Will before Friday.  A co-worker's boyfriend and I talked a little smack today.  His son is a Jr for the Crusaders. Gonna be fun on Friday night at CHC after the City/Dunbar game.