Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DisaptdDon

Loyola Dons

365 posts in this topic

Yeah right.  You aren’t impressed that you got beat by 30 points by a 9th grade QB, 3rd string RB, and they subbed in many #2s, 3s in the second half.  We all know LB is an awful team but your tough too impress DisappointedDon.  MSJ has more underclassman starting on varsity then any team in MIAA and they are 5-2.  Should be 6-1.  But it’s OK....we will be happy beating you by 30 points for the next 3 years as well.

Yes was on the sideline for this game. MSJ with 2 returning starters on offense and 3 on defense to go with the underclass men is still winning. Have to credit the staff they are doing a very good job getting the young kids ready.

I hope these Loyola JV kids stay with the school and progress to varsity. We have some nice players that show lots of promise on JV. The only thing the Dons can do is play hard and show pride. This season is pretty much over. I hope Keeney, Day, Mariachi and the board are proud of the state of Loyola football. But hey, there's always swimming, volleyball, water polo and lax. Pitiful.  

Man you can't take what he says to heart, all of Loyola people are hurting these days with the way the program has gone down. Same people are calling for coaching changes after a couple of games. IMO MSJ does it the right way, not saying they don't recruit hard or anything but they get players to fit their system and are tough kids who love the game. They also don't let kids or parents run the team as seen earlier this summer.

Just now, EaglePride said:

I hope these Loyola JV kids stay with the school and progress to varsity. We have some nice players that show lots of promise on JV. The only thing the Dons can do is play hard and show pride. This season is pretty much over. I hope Keeney, Day, Mariachi and the board are proud of the state of Loyola football. But hey, there's always swimming, volleyball, water polo and lax. Pitiful.  

Mariachi is a joke, he was supposed to be building up the program from what he said

Posted (edited)

Its also the little things like NO tailgates after games, allowing kids to ride home from games with their parents instead of on the bus as a TEAM. These little things mean a lot in terms of building a culture. I love coach Z as a man, mentor and coach. I will give him the benefit of the doubt but the admin needs to give him some tools to work with. Also, I know it a little thing, but WTF is up with the PA system at Loyola. No music, can't here Rowley announce at all, pathetic. They can't even get the $5000 sound system to work. Most likely some senile neighbor on Chestnut complained to Keeney so he pulled the plug on the volume.  

Edited by EaglePride

Loyola is not a bad football team or program, they are an above average football and could probably beat 75% of the teams in the state.  Are they an A conference program? NO! Should they be playing St Francis? No!  My issue with Loyola is they are more interested in playing the schools in the A conference then they are winning.  Why do they continue to put their players and coaches in a no win situation?  The B conference is a great conference. Does it get overshadowed by the A? Yes! The league produces lots of good players and the coaching is very good.

Lets face it, Loyola views itself more on par academically with St. Paul's, Boys Latin, Gilman and McDonogh then it does with Calvert Hall, St Joe and Spalding.  They have more in common with those schools because of lax, tuition and academics then they do with the catholic schools.  It just makes sense that they move down and play in the B conference. They can still play a Gilman or a Mt St joe along with Calvert Hall on thanksgiving, but remaining in the A is a complete waste of time for the players and coaches.  Finally, Jv football means nothing in the A conference, if it did, Calvert hall would win on the varsity level every year. 

12 minutes ago, Campy19 said:

Loyola is not a bad football team or program, they are an above average football and could probably beat 75% of the teams in the state.  Are they an A conference program? NO! Should they be playing St Francis? No!  My issue with Loyola is they are more interested in playing the schools in the A conference then they are winning.  Why do they continue to put their players and coaches in a no win situation?  The B conference is a great conference. Does it get overshadowed by the A? Yes! The league produces lots of good players and the coaching is very good.

Lets face it, Loyola views itself more on par academically with St. Paul's, Boys Latin, Gilman and McDonogh then it does with Calvert Hall, St Joe and Spalding.  They have more in common with those schools because of lax, tuition and academics then they do with the catholic schools.  It just makes sense that they move down and play in the B conference. They can still play a Gilman or a Mt St joe along with Calvert Hall on thanksgiving, but remaining in the A is a complete waste of time for the players and coaches.  Finally, Jv football means nothing in the A conference, if it did, Calvert hall would win on the varsity level every year. 

That's a good breakdown of the current situation 

Posted (edited)

31 minutes ago, Campy19 said:

Actually Loyola IS a bad football team. And this particular version is historically bad. Made up of kids that do not possess the proper size or skill to compete in the 'A" conference. Many are not traditional football players, but rather several Laxers moonlighting as FB players. This is the direct result of no recruiting and lack of support for the FB program. I don't fault the kids, but the admin and board. And you are wrong, in a perfect world, JV runs the same scheme, and develops Varsity players. To say JV means nothing is just silly.

Edited by EaglePride

2 hours ago, jbmad said:

Mariachi is a joke, he was supposed to be building up the program from what he said

FYI, Kurt B, the starting and starring UVA QB at a resurgent Cavalier program was a co-captain of the Loyola JV team. When Loyola failed to recognize his considerable talent as a highly skilled and accurate pocket passer, I knew the Program was doomed.

The demise of this once proud program can't be laid solely at the feet of the inept and feckless administration at Loyola. Coaching staffs who didn't adjust their schemes for their personnel destined this Program for mediocrity at best. This was and is a School wide failure: the new AD would be well advised to hire a proven HC in MD with a strong recruiting network. The head coach of Spalding would be a perfect candidate. He would need assistance from the administration to bring in 4 recruits per year with a strong emphasis on linemen and a paycheck commensurate with his success. The longer this debacle goes on the harder it will be to rebuild the Program.

Posted (edited)

Don't see anything changing unfortunately. Even when Keeney leaves, Day, Mariachi and the board, are major roadblocks to progress.

Edited by EaglePride

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, EaglePride said:

Actually Loyola IS a bad football team. And this particular version is historically bad. Made up of kids that do not possess the proper size or skill to compete in the 'A" conference. Many are not traditional football players, but rather several Laxers moonlighting as FB players. This is the direct result of no recruiting and lack of support for the FB program. I don't fault the kids, but the admin and board. And you are wrong, in a perfect world, JV runs the same scheme, and develops Varsity players. To say JV means nothing is just silly.

Maybe Loyola should go down the Centennial HS path. They could re-deploy the football program $$$ to academic or community outreach programs. At least the School would be honest with itself and its constituents.

Edited by mop

Appreciate the dialoque regarding the sad state of LB football.  Not fair to the participants, opponents and supporters.  Solutions are clear and decisions need to be made by the administration.  It is clear they  are not in the right conference and  have heard many key younger players have said they are not playing next year.

If that happens they may not be able to field a team. That would be awful for the school and I am sure they would lose students

Its really a simple solution, move down to the "B" division, put together some winning seasons, maybe even win a championship and bring back some "pride" back to the program. The current LB team would struggle to even finish in the top half of the "B" division this year. 

LB is clearly in a conference they should not be playing in. While I understand the move might annoy alums but they clearly don't understand how much the league has changed and just HS football in general. In order to even remain competitive on a consistent bases, your administration has commit some type of institutional support and resources. By all means, I'm not suggesting LB resort to the efforts in which Poggi operated at Gilman or now SFA, but staying the current course is and expecting different results is just insane. 

Even if SFA were to leave the "A" division to go pursue a national type schedule, LB would still be in a very tough situation with the remaining "A" conference teams. 

You guys don't get it. The Administration is fully aware of the problem but is too inept to manage through it. Let me give you an example: certain football alums gave a School a restricted  gift to fund an academically top flight minority student who happened to be a great football player. The School awarded the scholarship to an excellent student who happened to play football albeit not very well. The alums felt duped and withdrew their support after one year. These clowns can't even comply with restricted gift guidelines.

Guys, this is the gang that can't shoot straight. They want to succeed but can't even run a basic fundraising/recruiting mission. What makes you think they're qualified to pick or manage an AD or football HC. Given the current culture at the School, they would struggle to break 0.500 in the B Conference. Go the Centennial HS route and put the money back into the Olympic sports and academics or use the savings to reduce the tuition.

Edited by mop

Eagle Pride,  I am not saying Jv football means nothing, what I am saying is that some of the better programs in the A conference don't emphasize Jv football like others do. Gilman, McDonogh, & St Francis don't put as much emphasis on their Jv program as maybe a Calvert Hall.  What I have noticed with some of the A conference schools is they tend to move their best freshmen and sophomores onto the varsity to prevent them from transfering out or because promises were made during the receruiting process to put them on varsity as means to get the player and his parent to committ to their school. 

My issue with Loyola is their refusal to change and be what they are now instead of what they use to be. I have no problem with them wanting to uphold their academic integrity by only bringing in college prep student/athletes.  I have no problem if they don't want to play the money game and buy players like St Francis or McDonogh. Spalding, Mount St. Joe and Calvert Hall will accept kids that Loyola won't. Again, it's nice to see a school who won't jeopardize their academic standards just to win a football game. I applaud them for that. However, to put your players and coaches in no win situation because you played these schools in the past is ridiculous! Loyola can't compete in the A and they haven't for close to 10 years. Football is different animal, you need good players and lots of them if you want to compete in one of the best leagues in the state.  There is no shame in playing in the B conference for football and to be honest basketball.  Move down, give your kids a chance and play against schools that you can compete with. 

Keep things in perspective a bit here. People on here are taking about going the Centennial route and dropping the program? Are you kidding me?? That is not the answer. The team could at least compete in the B. No need for dropping the program completely. The clear answer is to move down to the B and go from there. Maybe that will light a fire in the alum to step up. But to say they should drop their program completely? That is a ridiculous conclusion to make on a program with tremendous history of success that has hit a slump the past 7-8 years—yes that may seem ages ago but they haven’t had a season as bad  as this one until now. Dropping down a conference makes sense. Dropping the program is a knee jerk reaction to how bad the current season has been. Give the program a chance to rebuild for gods sake!

1 hour ago, qwerty1234 said:

Keep things in perspective a bit here. People on here are taking about going the Centennial route and dropping the program? Are you kidding me?? That is not the answer. The team could at least compete in the B. No need for dropping the program completely. The clear answer is to move down to the B and go from there. Maybe that will light a fire in the alum to step up. But to say they should drop their program completely? That is a ridiculous conclusion to make on a program with tremendous history of success that has hit a slump the past 7-8 years—yes that may seem ages ago but they haven’t had a season as bad  as this one until now. Dropping down a conference makes sense. Dropping the program is a knee jerk reaction to how bad the current season has been. Give the program a chance to rebuild for gods sake!

The problem is you have a number of underclassmen who are saying they are not gonna play next year, if you lose those guys your already weak program is going to suffer even more. Like MOP has said before it's going to take a bunch of full paying parents and alumni to have a meeting with the administration and say we aren't going to stand for this anymore.  We will take our money and go elsewhere 

1 hour ago, jbmad said:

..... it's going to take a bunch of full paying parents and alumni to have a meeting with the administration and say we aren't going to stand for this anymore.  We will take our money and go elsewhere 

For an otherwise Top Shelf education at Loyola, you are saying folks would bolt cause the football team suck, really madman!!!

Not saying that they would, just said that if they wanted the administration to listen. But yes DW you already have some kids and parents jumping ship because they don't see the big picture of education first. You know they think Jr is a football star

3 hours ago, DayWalker said:

For an otherwise Top Shelf education at Loyola, you are saying folks would bolt cause the football team suck, really madman!!!

It's called a market economy. Assuming they could get into a comparable academic institution and wanted a positive football experience, why wouldn't a full pay parent consider it? That being said, I don't understand really smart kids forgoing a Gilman education for an IMG one. Is the education comparable is the critical question.

5 minutes ago, jbmad said:

Not saying that they would, just said that if they wanted the administration to listen. But yes DW you already have some kids and parents jumping ship because they don't see the big picture of education first. You know they think Jr is a football star

Completely agree, a lot of the folks who leave go to lesser academic schools: then their boys don't pan out as football players. Education first and everything else will take care of itself. My point was the Board will only respond to its constituents: full paying parents and contributing alumni. This is a leadership issue not a financial one.

7 hours ago, Campy19 said:

Eagle Pride,  I am not saying Jv football means nothing, what I am saying is that some of the better programs in the A conference don't emphasize Jv football like others do. Gilman, McDonogh, & St Francis don't put as much emphasis on their Jv program as maybe a Calvert Hall.  What I have noticed with some of the A conference schools is they tend to move their best freshmen and sophomores onto the varsity to prevent them from transfering out or because promises were made during the receruiting process to put them on varsity as means to get the player and his parent to committ to their school. 

My issue with Loyola is their refusal to change and be what they are now instead of what they use to be. I have no problem with them wanting to uphold their academic integrity by only bringing in college prep student/athletes.  I have no problem if they don't want to play the money game and buy players like St Francis or McDonogh. Spalding, Mount St. Joe and Calvert Hall will accept kids that Loyola won't. Again, it's nice to see a school who won't jeopardize their academic standards just to win a football game. I applaud them for that. However, to put your players and coaches in no win situation because you played these schools in the past is ridiculous! Loyola can't compete in the A and they haven't for close to 10 years. Football is different animal, you need good players and lots of them if you want to compete in one of the best leagues in the state.  There is no shame in playing in the B conference for football and to be honest basketball.  Move down, give your kids a chance and play against schools that you can compete with. 

Agreed but your rational position has been presented to the administration and Board. To quote the current AD, winning isn't everything and adversity (aka losing) builds character. Easy to say when it's not your head getting smashed in. This is the Maria Antoinette administration: "Let them eat cake, We will never drop to the B Conference".  The Board has spoken: we don't care about football and basketball.

8 hours ago, Campy19 said:

Funny that Loyola wont accept kids that Calvert Hall will.  (comment above) Two 9th graders on Loyola team (1 JV and 1 varsity) were both sought by CHC but scored in the 5th percentile on the entrance test. They were rejected but Loyola gobbled them up and they are playing now). Loyola beat CHC 11 straight years and CHC never cried that they had to move down to the B conference. This idea tht Loyola has more academic integrity is nonsense. That is the old alums mindset that they were better because the Jesuits told them so.  I dont see the Loyola kids in finals of "Its Academic" like CHC team nor do they win national contests like CHC in Robotics. The Loy music& theater programs are non existent and CHC Art students win national awards.  I guess because one pays more at St Pauls, Gilman, Mcdonogh, Loyola-- that makes them smarter?