Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DisaptdDon

Loyola Dons

382 posts in this topic

Y

1 hour ago, watchfulreader80 said:

Funny that Loyola wont accept kids that Calvert Hall will.  (comment above) Two 9th graders on Loyola team (1 JV and 1 varsity) were both sought by CHC but scored in the 5th percentile on the entrance test. They were rejected but Loyola gobbled them up and they are playing now). Loyola beat CHC 11 straight years and CHC never cried that they had to move down to the B conference. This idea tht Loyola has more academic integrity is nonsense. That is the old alums mindset that they were better because the Jesuits told them so.  I dont see the Loyola kids in finals of "Its Academic" like CHC team nor do they win national contests like CHC in Robotics. The Loy music& theater programs are non existent and CHC Art students win national awards.  I guess because one pays more at St Pauls, Gilman, Mcdonogh, Loyola-- that makes them smarter?

You better check your facts chief, Loyola won the it's academic competition this past year defeating CHC in championship to go undefeated. The only reason you didn't see them win on tv is because one of their top guys played varsity football for 3 yrs and couldn't make the tv taping. They had 3 National Merit Scholar winners just like CHC.  Check your facts before you start spouting off. And don't even talk 5th percentile because I personally know of a few of those at or were at CHC

You can’t really go wrong with any of the MIAA schools academically, other than maybe St Frances. All are strong college prep academic institutions that provide students with great opportunities to be prepared to go to college.  To move a kid around solely based on athletics is risky. The risk of transferring/sitting out/repeating a year for hopefully better football playing time and experience on a more competitive team will not heed the results of individual player development and accomplishments the parents think/wish might happen. Part of the issue with Loyola alum and board is all they care about is Turkey Bowl and that’s all that is measured regarding team success. 

11 hours ago, Campy19 said:

Eagle Pride,  I am not saying Jv football means nothing, what I am saying is that some of the better programs in the A conference don't emphasize Jv football like others do. Gilman, McDonogh, & St Francis don't put as much emphasis on their Jv program as maybe a Calvert Hall.  What I have noticed with some of the A conference schools is they tend to move their best freshmen and sophomores onto the varsity to prevent them from transfering out or because promises were made during the receruiting process to put them on varsity as means to get the player and his parent to committ to their school. 

My issue with Loyola is their refusal to change and be what they are now instead of what they use to be. I have no problem with them wanting to uphold their academic integrity by only bringing in college prep student/athletes.  I have no problem if they don't want to play the money game and buy players like St Francis or McDonogh. Spalding, Mount St. Joe and Calvert Hall will accept kids that Loyola won't. Again, it's nice to see a school who won't jeopardize their academic standards just to win a football game. I applaud them for that. However, to put your players and coaches in no win situation because you played these schools in the past is ridiculous! Loyola can't compete in the A and they haven't for close to 10 years. Football is different animal, you need good players and lots of them if you want to compete in one of the best leagues in the state.  There is no shame in playing in the B conference for football and to be honest basketball.  Move down, give your kids a chance and play against schools that you can compete with. 

You're superstar freshmen football/baseball player got denied from the following.  Curley, McDonogh, Calvert Hall.  Don't really want to hear your its nice to see a school who won't jeopardize....

30 minutes ago, Tiger1012 said:

You're superstar freshmen football/baseball player got denied from the following.  Curley, McDonogh, Calvert Hall.  Don't really want to hear your its nice to see a school who won't jeopardize....

So someone at Curley, CHC and McD told you personally that this kid was not accepted into those schools. I find that hard to believe because I know CHC will basically accept anyone to fill that large # of students. And have a even harder time believing that if he was a superstar baseball player that Lou wouldn't have made it work

1 hour ago, Tiger1012 said:

nothing better than someone arguing about academics who doesn't know the difference between 'your' and 'you're'

1 hour ago, qwerty1234 said:

You can’t really go wrong with any of the MIAA schools academically, other than maybe St Frances. All are strong college prep academic institutions that provide students with great opportunities to be prepared to go to college.  To move a kid around solely based on athletics is risky. The risk of transferring/sitting out/repeating a year for hopefully better football playing time and experience on a more competitive team will not heed the results of individual player development and accomplishments the parents think/wish might happen. Part of the issue with Loyola alum and board is all they care about is Turkey Bowl and that’s all that is measured regarding team success. 

Transfers in all walks of life are risky. Sometimes they work extremely well and sometimes not.   Regarding high school or college transfers, a student only has 4 years of eligibility. Transferring out of a School which is openly de-emphasizing a program (translation: no hope) is not a risky proposition if you have great alternatives. Conversely no one should transfer out immediately due to a lack of playing time or on the field success as these things change season to season. Regarding the football experience at Loyola, the players and their families care about every game not just the Turkey Bowl. In other words it's possible to have a positive football experience at Loyola without beating CHC, not however going winless in the Conference. It's about being in almost every game, not getting blown out.

4 minutes ago, gillytech said:

nothing better than someone arguing about academics who doesn't know the difference between 'your' and 'you're'

Another keyboard warrior at the G.  Phone's come with automatic autocorrect now.  I guess you are sitting on your nice PC with your nose entrenched in this topic.  I bet my punctuation is better than the likes of Gilman products Shane Cockerille (suspended for Academic Reasons) and  Kenny Goins (He can't even read). LOL! How could this be they went to the G!!

47 minutes ago, Tiger1012 said:

Another keyboard warrior at the G.  Phone's come with automatic autocorrect now.  I guess you are sitting on your nice PC with your nose entrenched in this topic.  I bet my punctuation is better than the likes of Gilman products Shane Cockerille (suspended for Academic Reasons) and  Kenny Goins (He can't even read). LOL! How could this be they went to the G!!

Kenny Goins, can’t read? Come on, stop it! Plenty of kids from Gilman have gone on to college and not do well, not just athletes. That has nothing to do with Gilman. 

Edited by GREYHOUND ALUM

1 hour ago, Tiger1012 said:

Yeah, I'm familiar with autocorrect, which is why I proofread everything I send even via text so I don't come off like a dolt.  Kenny Goins can't read huh?  Classy.  Makes you wonder why Maryland let a guy like that graduate, yet suspended Cockerille.  Solid logic.

Edited by gillytech

31 minutes ago, GREYHOUND ALUM said:

Kenny Goins, can’t read? Come on, stop it! Plenty of kids from Gilman have gone on to college and not do well, not just athletes. That has nothing to do with Gilman. 

They needn't worry, they went to Gilman. I have been told numerable times that kids go to Gilman for the lifelong hookups. 

1 hour ago, mop said:

Transfers in all walks of life are risky. Sometimes they work extremely well and sometimes not.   Regarding high school or college transfers, a student only has 4 years of eligibility. Transferring out of a School which is openly de-emphasizing a program (translation: no hope) is not a risky proposition if you have great alternatives. Conversely no one should transfer out immediately due to a lack of playing time or on the field success as these things change season to season. Regarding the football experience at Loyola, the players and their families care about every game not just the Turkey Bowl. In other words it's possible to have a positive football experience at Loyola without beating CHC, not however going winless in the Conference. It's about being in almost every game, not getting blown out.

Have to disagree with you. If parents and alum cared so much about the whole season then they would show as much presence and support as they do for Turkey Bowl with every game. Yes winning brings people in the stands, but the team could lose every game and still would have a huge fan base they did not see show up at home games show up on Thanksgiving. The players also play with more determination and intensity on turkey day. Is that because it’s a rivalry? Sure. But the head coach would be the first to tell you that it is a problem they only show that level of excitement for the turkey bowl. It by far over shadows every other game during the season. If parents, alum, all of the emotional and fiscal stakeholders cared about beating every other team as much as they do winning Turkey Bowl, then I think things would actually change 

Edited by qwerty1234

2 minutes ago, Oldtime said:

They needn't worry, they went to Gilman. I have been told numerable times that kids go to Gilman for the lifelong hookups. 

That's what GA says....  Networked -- connected is how he described it.

Edited by DayWalker

7 hours ago, GREYHOUND ALUM said:

But it's ALL GILMAN when they do well when you described all the Goldman-Sachs CEOs, sports franchise owners, and all..... 

Edited by DayWalker

14 minutes ago, gillytech said:

Yeah, I'm familiar with autocorrect, which is why I proofread everything I send even via text so I don't come off like a dolt.  Kenny Goins can't read huh?  Classy.  Makes you wonder why Maryland let a guy like that graduate, yet suspended Cockerille.  Solid logic.

Glad to see you back g-Spot....  How you been.....  :)

34 minutes ago, qwerty1234 said:

Have to disagree with you. If parents and alum cared so much about the whole season then they would show as much presence and support as they do for Turkey Bowl with every game. Yes winning brings people in the stands, but the team could lose every game and still would have a huge fan base they did not see show up at home games show up on Thanksgiving. The players also play with more determination and intensity on turkey day. Is that because it’s a rivalry? Sure. But the head coach would be the first to tell you that it is a problem they only show that level of excitement for the turkey bowl. It by far over shadows every other game during the season. If parents, alum, all of the emotional and fiscal stakeholders cared about beating every other team as much as they do winning Turkey Bowl, then I think things would actually change 

I referenced players and their families, not parents and alums. Frankly the football program is for the actual participants first not the Turkey Bowl fans. The issue is a leadership vacuum which isn't going to change anytime soon. The Jesuits and tough Catholic football kids are almost extinct at Blakefield. The School is now a Catholic light version of SP socioeconomically and culturally. They are not Gonzaga in DC which has done a much better job living the Jesuit ideals. None of this changes unless there is a leadership change at the School.

2 hours ago, mop said:

Have to agree with you about the players and families caring. I for one know that my son was proud to play for Loyola and proud to say that he played in every game for three years on varsity. He is sitting at college not very happy about the way things are going at the school. And  I also know that the A vs B conf issue is a big deal for some kids, my son could have went to St Paul's and started on varsity right away but it was important for him to play in the A conf and be apart of the Turkey Bowl tradition. 

2 hours ago, DayWalker said:

Glad to see you back g-Spot....  How you been.....  :)

I've been alright - thanks for asking.  Haven't been able to keep up with HS ball (or college or the NFL) as much as in years past, but all is well.  How about you - you seem to be keeping busy?

53 minutes ago, gillytech said:

I've been alright - thanks for asking.  Haven't been able to keep up with HS ball (or college or the NFL) as much as in years past, but all is well.  How about you - you seem to be keeping busy?

Yeah g, doing what The DayWalker does being the Champion of the Public People - an extraordinary Crime Fighting Super Hero - does keep a vamp busy.

Like I've Always Said g-Spot:

Edited by DayWalker

keep up the good work.  It's an uphill battle around here.

If you come at The King it's uphill g and "...you best not miss..." as Omar would say but it's always a simple downhill romp for The DayWalker no matter how they come or how many.  That's just how us vamps set it up.  The DayWalker is just a monster and does what monsters do.....  Sniper------------> :o  Ask him!

Good to see G Tech, the one Gilman poster who isn't afflicted with numerous severe mental disorders. Unfotrtunately, many are classified as such under 'the umbrella clause', which became fully enforceble following the passing of the IP Address Amendment passed in January 2016.

Please note, MSJ went 3-24 over 5 seasons in the MIAA from '09 through '13, with a -21.2 point differential over those 5 seasons in the league. Loyola's record in the A over the last 5 seasons dating back to '13? You guessed it, 3-24, with a -22.7 point differential per game. Moral of the story -  Someone always turns out to be a doormat, at some time, some with more regularity than others. And, of course, some people are straight lunatics.

Edited by themamba

4 minutes ago, themamba said:

Please note, MSJ went 3-24 over 5 seasons in the MIAA from '09 through '13, with a -21.2 point differential over those 5 seasons in the league. Loyola's record in the A over the last 5 seasons dating back to '13? You guessed it, 3-24, with a -22.7 point differential per game. Someone always turns out to be a doormat.

OOOpppsss, there is it.....    OOOpppsss, there it is.....  Those darn FACTS!!!!!  :(

Mamba.  Good point.  Coaching, coaching and administrative support is always the key in MIAA.  Feeder programs and coaching is key in publics.  

2 hours ago, themamba said:

Good to see G Tech, the one Gilman poster who isn't afflicted with numerous severe mental disorders. Unfotrtunately, many are classified as such under 'the umbrella clause', which became fully enforceble following the passing of the IP Address Amendment passed in January 2016.

Please note, MSJ went 3-24 over 5 seasons in the MIAA from '09 through '13, with a -21.2 point differential over those 5 seasons in the league. Loyola's record in the A over the last 5 seasons dating back to '13? You guessed it, 3-24, with a -22.7 point differential per game. Moral of the story -  Someone always turns out to be a doormat, at some time, some with more regularity than others. And, of course, some people are straight lunatics.

How many of the MSJ and Loyola seasons you referenced were under Blake Henry and Brant Hall?    

1 hour ago, mop said:

How many of the MSJ and Loyola seasons you referenced were under Blake Henry and Brant Hall?    

All from my research on Maxpreps.