DisaptdDon

Loyola Dons

710 posts in this topic

14 minutes ago, watchfulreader80 said:

Calvert Hall was hardly "destroyed" in the first Gilman game. The score was tied until 30 seconds to go when Gilman blocked a punt and a TD that won it.

Gilman was up by two Td’s for most of the game that first game. They blew the lead. CHC was absolutely DEMOLISHED the second time around. 

2 hours ago, watchfulreader80 said:

He wasn't wide open until the play developed.  Why would coaches not think he would be covered and have to call a timeout?  The problem is that # 5 Matt Bell was thrown in at safety for this game because he was the only player who could cover the CH receivers. He isn't trained in coverages since he always played wideout. The trips formation confused the secondary and Cooper got loose..

Well that's funny because myself and my son were both sitting in the stands and both said why are they leaving Cooper open, someone needs to get on Cooper. And if you watch the game again he noticed it himself and couldn't wait for them to snap the ball. Two years in a row this guy runs down the field untouched to score the first TD of the game. Why do the coaches not tell these guys to just tackle him if he gets free. And you act like Matt Bell has never played DB, he played last year and this year as well. To say he was the only one who could cover is crazy because Justin McCoy IMO had a heck of a year and Jordan Moore played D as well.

10 hours ago, jbmad said:

Well that's funny because myself and my son were both sitting in the stands and both said why are they leaving Cooper open, someone needs to get on Cooper. And if you watch the game again he noticed it himself and couldn't wait for them to snap the ball. Two years in a row this guy runs down the field untouched to score the first TD of the game. Why do the coaches not tell these guys to just tackle him if he gets free. And you act like Matt Bell has never played DB, he played last year and this year as well. To say he was the only one who could cover is crazy because Justin McCoy IMO had a heck of a year and Jordan Moore played D as well.

Cooper was open because they were concentrating on shutting down #10 early. Can't cover them both.

56 minutes ago, Murph said:

Cooper was open because they were concentrating on shutting down #10 early. Can't cover them both.

Can't leave one wide open either, that makes no sense 

Appreciate the input.  With over 21k replies would like to see some additional input from more LB supporters regarding the future direction of the program. The administration needs to hear a strong message that things need to change and decisions need to be made for the benefit of all participants.

22 minutes ago, DisaptdDon said:

Appreciate the input.  With over 21k replies would like to see some additional input from more LB supporters regarding the future direction of the program. The administration needs to hear a strong message that things need to change and decisions need to be made for the benefit of all participants.

The Administration and Board doesn't care about football. They've been very clear. They know they have to play CHC in the Turkey Bowl but frankly they view football as a relic of their past that doesn't fit their target audience and demographic. They want full pay students who participate in Olympic sports (cross country, swimming, lacrosse, etc.), social outreach projects and cybersecurity/robotics clubs. Loyola fans and football alumni, stop living in the past. The best you can hope for is a move down to the B Conference so the boys at least have a shot at winning. Stop tilting at windmills: The Administration and Board has spoken. Take your lumps and move on......

Edited by mop

Interesting to see that coach Z. Threw the kids under the bus in his comments in the Sun.   It is the coaches responsibility to have the kids ready for the first whistle and also make sure they can execute the things they were taught over the full season.  All of the kids wanted to win and played hard.  The comment about not playing with pride is out of bounds.  Also not accepting any responsibility as a coach highlights what many of the players apparently feel.

Do agree that LB should move to the B conference but other changes are necessary if the school has a chance of success at any level.

1 hour ago, DisaptdDon said:

Interesting to see that coach Z. Threw the kids under the bus in his comments in the Sun.   It is the coaches responsibility to have the kids ready for the first whistle and also make sure they can execute the things they were taught over the full season.  All of the kids wanted to win and played hard.  The comment about not playing with pride is out of bounds.  Also not accepting any responsibility as a coach highlights what many of the players apparently feel.

Do agree that LB should move to the B conference but other changes are necessary if the school has a chance of success at any level.

This just goes back to the Hall era, he would never take the blame for anything. Always put blame on players never on his play calling. Players last year came to him trying to make adjustments and got told to sit down and do what they are told.

1 hour ago, DisaptdDon said:

Just read the full article and in no way does it sound like coach Z was throwing anyone under the bus, just stating facts and also stated later in the article that a lot of the mistakes are due to being young. Also states how fond he is of coaching every single guy. But if you were at the game and watching the game he is absolutely correct. Dline was playing bad, no one was tackling, Oline couldn't block, receivers would run down field without looking back. What do you want him to say, sugarcoat everything so kids feelings don't get hurt. Maybe it's time for the kids and parents to either man up and play or just quit on the program like the administration has

3 hours ago, jbmad said:

Just read the full article and in no way does it sound like coach Z was throwing anyone under the bus, just stating facts and also stated later in the article that a lot of the mistakes are due to being young. Also states how fond he is of coaching every single guy. But if you were at the game and watching the game he is absolutely correct. Dline was playing bad, no one was tackling, Oline couldn't block, receivers would run down field without looking back. What do you want him to say, sugarcoat everything so kids feelings don't get hurt. Maybe it's time for the kids and parents to either man up and play or just quit on the program like the administration has

Let’s be  brutally honest: 75% of the personnel on Loyila’s sideline don't belong on an A Conference field. It starts with the adults on the field. The administration is to blame for the lack of raw material.    Why you ask: they retain bad athletic directors, head and assistant coaches and squander their scholar athlete money on non athletes. They waste their money on kids that don’t fit culture wise: me not we kids. These failures rest with past coaching staffs who pouted about the administration’s stance on $$ and refused to be ambassadors for the Program. The main culprit will be the next AD. Don’t expect any changes under the School’s inept leadership. These folks make the Cleveland Brown front office look like geniuses. 

Edited by mop

Don's have a few skill players to build upon. Need O and D lineman desperately. Nothing more frustrating last Thursday than watching DT's trying to swim or make a tackle rather than occupying blockers so the LB'er can make a play. I put that on the DC. Kids need to know their role and not be selfish. Maybe when the door hits Keeney in the a$$ we can begin to rebuild some semblance of a football program. 

4 hours ago, EaglePride said:

Don's have a few skill players to build upon. Need O and D lineman desperately. Nothing more frustrating last Thursday than watching DT's trying to swim or make a tackle rather than occupying blockers so the LB'er can make a play. I put that on the DC. Kids need to know their role and not be selfish. Maybe when the door hits Keeney in the a$$ we can begin to rebuild some semblance of a football program. 

All this hope for change. Same thing happened when Pesci left. Nothing changed then, my guess is nothing will change now. The School has picked their niche and being competitive in A Conference football is at the bottom of the priority list. It starts with the Board. Unless the Board Chair is bombarded with  emails and letters from alumni and donors don't expect any change. The squeaky wheel always gets the grease. 

DeSantis unfortunately will not be able to make any decisions. Although there are former football parents on the board, there a many non-football parent board members who just don't care. That's the problem. Either commit to football and be all in, or suffer at the bottom of the league.

59 minutes ago, EaglePride said:

DeSantis unfortunately will not be able to make any decisions. Although there are former football parents on the board, there a many non-football parent board members who just don't care. That's the problem. Either commit to football and be all in, or suffer at the bottom of the league.

Bill McCarthy, who is the head of Catholic Charities, is the Board Chair. 

LB lacrosse coach announced he will be leaving after this season moving to Boston for family reasons.   He has always been respected and liked by the players  and will be missed.  His replacement will be an important hire by the new athletic director.

On 11/24/2017 at 8:56 PM, jbmad said:

McCoy had TDs thrown over and at him almost every game. 2 in BL game - 2 in st Joe game. In Curley game he was taken out midway for coverage issues. I can go on as i saw every Loyola game. 1 in Avalon game on his corner in the end zone. Moore rarely played DB and not regularly until the Avalon game. He was always flipped to cover the weak side receivers. So, dont know what "heck of a year" means. I said that Bell was the only one who cold have covered Cooper is correct. Koras at safety doesn't have the speed to stay with most wideouts and he was the one playing safety most of the year.  Best DB was Breschi and he had a heck of a year for the Dons, especially his ABC game.

1 hour ago, watchfulreader80 said:

McCoy had TDs thrown over and at him almost every game. 2 in BL game - 2 in st Joe game. In Curley game he was taken out midway for coverage issues. I can go on as i saw every Loyola game. 1 in Avalon game on his corner in the end zone. Moore rarely played DB and not regularly until the Avalon game. He was always flipped to cover the weak side receivers. So, dont know what "heck of a year" means. I said that Bell was the only one who cold have covered Cooper is correct. Koras at safety doesn't have the speed to stay with most wideouts and he was the one playing safety most of the year.  Best DB was Breschi and he had a heck of a year for the Dons, especially his ABC game.

I will give you Breschi, he played very well, don't think they utilized his speed on offense enough though. McCoy is small for sure and gets picked on, but tackling wise he is solid. Bell IMO plays very lackadaisical at times, like he doesn't want to be there. Koras IMO wasn't the same after the suspension after JC game, didn't play his hard nosed style as I was used to seeing. 

Sorry but Koras is one of the fastest kids on the team. The kid is a very good 2 sport athlete. To say "he doesn't have the speed to stay with most wideouts" is simply fraudulent. Koras has speed, not afraid to hit and could even play QB if needed. McCoy plays with the biggest heart on the team...period. He is a captain for a reason.

Koras shifted to linebacker for Turkey Bowl because he is one of the best tacklers.  He apparently did not get much practice time since he was injured on practice before the game.  Just a sophomore and needs to add some weight.

On 11/24/2017 at 6:59 PM, GREYHOUND ALUM said:

Gilman was up by two Td’s for most of the game that first game. They blew the lead. CHC was absolutely DEMOLISHED the second time around. 

so if a team scores 2 TDs and comes back, that is not being destroyed both games!  I was glad to see the loss the 2nd game. What's the point of playing St Francis and lose your star back possibly because of a game that can't be won anyway. Didn't Gilman lose their standout Willis with an ACL against St Francis.  How would Gilman have done with 3 days rest after St Francis and have to come back and play McDonogh. Best thing could have happened to CHC is lose the playoff and get ready for Loyola. Even with the Gilman playoff game, CHC lost one of its star backs with Tucker out injured in  that game. With Tucker in the Thanksgiving game, the score would have been 42-6 and not 27-6. He can't be caught in an open field, even with defenders all in front of him. Playoffs are stupid when the top team is undefeated and already beaten the championship opponent by 50 points in the season matchup.  Playoffs are all about padding Poggis resume. Interesting how tere were no playoffs while Poggi put out of Gilman and he away for a year while loading up the new st Francis program. And Wala, the playoffs return when he is back in place with 20 transfers and a year to build the juggernaut before launching the onslaught. And all the other schools went all along with it because they weren't paying attention to the war machine buildup happening so quietly. Reminds me of the Polish Blitzkrieg of September 1 1939.  Just keep your head buried in the sand and maybe they won't come for you!

On 11/30/2017 at 11:48 AM, jbmad said:

Agree 100%

1 hour ago, watchfulreader80 said:

so if a team scores 2 TDs and comes back, that is not being destroyed both games!  I was glad to see the loss the 2nd game. What's the point of playing St Francis and lose your star back possibly because of a game that can't be won anyway. Didn't Gilman lose their standout Willis with an ACL against St Francis.  How would Gilman have done with 3 days rest after St Francis and have to come back and play McDonogh. Best thing could have happened to CHC is lose the playoff and get ready for Loyola. Even with the Gilman playoff game, CHC lost one of its star backs with Tucker out injured in  that game. With Tucker in the Thanksgiving game, the score would have been 42-6 and not 27-6. He can't be caught in an open field, even with defenders all in front of him. Playoffs are stupid when the top team is undefeated and already beaten the championship opponent by 50 points in the season matchup.  Playoffs are all about padding Poggis resume. Interesting how tere were no playoffs while Poggi put out of Gilman and he away for a year while loading up the new st Francis program. And Wala, the playoffs return when he is back in place with 20 transfers and a year to build the juggernaut before launching the onslaught. And all the other schools went all along with it because they weren't paying attention to the war machine buildup happening so quietly. Reminds me of the Polish Blitzkrieg of September 1 1939.  Just keep your head buried in the sand and maybe they won't come for you!

The playoffs were gone before Poggi was outed at Gilman. And if you think other teams were not  watching you have no idea what's going on. 

On 11/30/2017 at 11:04 AM, EaglePride said:

Sorry but Koras is one of the fastest kids on the team. The kid is a very good 2 sport athlete. To say "he doesn't have the speed to stay with most wideouts" is simply fraudulent. Koras has speed, not afraid to hit and could even play QB if needed. McCoy plays with the biggest heart on the team...period. He is a captain for a reason.

Koras' speed relative to speed on his team -- couldn't stay with any of the CHC RBs if put in a 40 yard dash.  LB just lucky Sean Tucker didn't play as he can outrun Cooper.

sorry - but biggest heart on the team not a factor when in pass coverage. I suspect Koras will be moved back to QB next year, where he was as a Freshman. Then 2 Koras brothers can be QB.

11 minutes ago, watchfulreader80 said:

Koras' speed relative to speed on his team -- couldn't stay with any of the CHC RBs if put in a 40 yard dash.  LB just lucky Sean Tucker didn't play as he can outrun Cooper.

sorry - but biggest heart on the team not a factor when in pass coverage. I suspect Koras will be moved back to QB next year, where he was as a Freshman. Then 2 Koras brothers can be QB.

If they play at all

The first defining moment for next year's athletic department will have to occur soon. With coach Rubeur leaving, the school needs to hire a new varsity lacrosse coach. Because of the timing it will be interesting to see if the outgoing AD makes this pick, or the new, as yet unannounced AD, makes the selection. For anyone affiliated with the school, it is obvious that more than football or any other sport, lacrosse rules that campus. I am going to bet that they find a faculty position and let the new AD ride this hires coattails. 

But really at Loyola who knows?