Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DisaptdDon

Loyola Dons

491 posts in this topic

Then you need to see something better than a no count Gilman/RBS scrimmage.... ;)

It'll glove we a clue of their personnel and athleticism.

But those in the know know Riverdale B plays possum in scrimmages.  They will not dress / play everyone and look like a small in numbers team and then show up first game with a large team and players not seen before.  You need a game look at RBS for your assessment is what I'm saying and not a RBS scrimmage.

Talk trash with your co-worker's boo from a position of strength, having seen RBS in real games.

Edited by DayWalker

6 hours ago, EaglePride said:

DD - Have to agree with jbmad. Coach Z has the football IQ and coaching experience to get the job done. The AD and board are not vested in building a successful football program, so it is what it is. LB should really be playing in the 'B" division if the admin will not get behind the FB program. That said, gotta give the coach a little break here.

The option offense needed a staff that was intimate in implementing it.  That means the OC, the line, backs, qb and receivers coaches. The OC would have implemented the O in stages during the summer and worked the kinks out in exhibition games. Smart qb play is critical to successfully running this O. That being said, if their O puts up any less than 24 against Curly, who seems to have fallen off of a cliff after their former HC left, you have to wonder the HC had the staff or personnel to run the option. I do believe the HC is an inspirational positive leader however that's not enough to be successful. To compete in the A Conference, you have to have a strong, seasoned staff with a winning pedigree, a modicum of talent plus the support of the AD and administration. Rebuilding from ground zero is really hard. Shame on the Loyola administration for letting the Program fall into such a state of disrepair. Leadership really does matter!

DD - Have to agree with jbmad. Coach Z has the football IQ and coaching experience to get the job done. The AD and board are not vested in building a successful football program, so it is what it is. LB should really be playing in the 'B" division if the admin will not get behind the FB program. That said, gotta give the coach a little break here.

Edited by mop

Another observation: Loyola actually looks better on D this year. 

Edited by mop

Give the guy time calling him out after two games is crazy. If the program was that bad Off he needs two years to get it back but only if he has the necessary support.

50 minutes ago, TheGuru said:

What you got?

rbs game 1 and with a call maybe 2

Edited by DayWalker

5 minutes ago, OldBallCoach said:

Give the guy time calling him out after two games is crazy. If the program was that bad Off he needs two years to get it back but only if he has the necessary support.

Completely agree, 

4 hours ago, DayWalker said:

What!!!!!  :D

AO, consider why the services academies run option (flex).  There are not 350lbs earth mover linemen at these places but quick and flexible athletes.  Flex QBs don't have to be Dwayne Haskins or Kasim Hill rocket-passers but just quick decision makers.  A good option (flex) team can far more better stay in a game or even control it against a much bigger stronger team.  If Loyola is lacking behind, then go with the flex to save their behind.

I see your point....but consider this.....despite what type of athletes you have on the field, big or small, slow of fast, athletic or a stiff, the name of the game when you have a lack of talent is to limit the reps against your defense.....the best way to do so is to control the clock...the best way to control the clock is to put extra guys up front and force a box....when you force the box, you create opportunities off of play action.....this simple strategy can be carried out by whatever type of players you might have. You don't even need a quick decision maker.....and you also need coaches who understand and can implement the option....not so with extra tightends.....     

Edited by AgentOrange

6 hours ago, GREYHOUND ALUM said:

To me, improvement is only based on wins and losses. I'm strictly talking about this year. And this year, losing to Boys Latin and John Carroll is horrible. He's familiar with all the players and their strengths, so he really doesn't get a pass. 

Very good point....by now, the coach knows what cards he has in his hand.....

5 minutes ago, AgentOrange said:

I see your point....but consider this.....despite what type of athletes you have on the field, big or small, slow of fast, athletic or a stiff, the name of the game when you have a lack of talent is to limit the reps against your defense.....the best way to do so is to control the clock...the best way to control the clock is to put extra guys up front and force a box....when you force the box, you create opportunities off of play action.....this simple strategy can be carried out by whatever type of players you might have. You don't even need a quick decision maker.....and you also need coaches who understand and can implement the option....not so with extra tightends.....     

That strategy makes no sense. Have a bunch of under sized guys who can't block pack the box against better guys just so you can throw a play action. Sorry that dog don't hunt.

Just now, OldBallCoach said:

That strategy makes no sense. Have a bunch of under sized guys who can't block pack the box against better guys just so you can throw a play action. Sorry that dog don't hunt.

Disagree......once gain, even if your team can't block well, No opposing team will simply ignore a 6, 7 or 8 man Oline and oppose it with a 4-3 or 3-4....they have no choice but to throw a bear it it or box it up somehow....the 2 and 3 TE offence was the original spread because it tends to spread out the DBackfiield....

6 minutes ago, AgentOrange said:

Very good point....by now, the coach knows what cards he has in his hand.....

2 guys back who started the season as starters last year doesn't give you much of a hand to play with

Just now, jbmad said:

2 guys back who started the season as starters last year doesn't give you much of a hand to play with

i get your point but part of a coaches job, like it or not is to bring in the talent....apparently he's not doing this....If he was a City league coach where (outside of Dunbar), recruiting simply does not exist, then I would understand...however, he is coaching a Miaa-a team.....coaching a Miaa-a team these days is similar to coaching a div3 college football...you have to put in work man....    

8 hours ago, AgentOrange said:

Control the clock ( run lots of time off clock ) is what the option is all about.  Run plays kill clock much faster than passing plays.  One down side of the option is its not quick strike to get you back in a game if it has gotten away from you.  To me there is nothing prettier than a well run option of three card monte of who has the ball.  I watched a Ga Tech - TN game recently and saw how the option should be run to see a good DE played like fine instrument of who the defender was to attack.  There is nothing that makes me laugh more than seeing aDE out in space crashing down on a fullback only to see out of his ear hole another runner with the ball running pass the DE.  Or the DE taking on the QB for him to flip the ball to his pitch back.

If you are a little light in the behind like I said, go option to save your own hind...

Edited by DayWalker

3 minutes ago, DayWalker said:

Control the clock ( run lots of time off clock ) is what the option is all about.  Run plays kill clock much faster than passing plays.  One down side of the option is its not quick strike to get you back in a game if it has gotten away from you.  To me there is nothing prettier than a well run option of three card monte of who has the ball.  I watched a Ga Tech - TN game recently and saw how the option should be run to see a good DE played like fine instrument of who the defender was to attack.  There is nothing that makes me laugh more than seeing out in space crashing down on a fullback only to see out out his ear hole another runner with the ball running pass the DE.  Or the DE taking on the QB for him to flip the ball to his pitch back.

If you are a little light in the behind like I said, go option to save your own hind...

To each his own....I would just venture to say, If I was coaching a program short on talent, my choice would be to double and triple down on tightends and try to ware out the D and create on on one situations for my receivers....I have seen it work..... Coach Osborne put it best when he said Football is all about alignments...putting more X's where there are O's....

Edited by AgentOrange

Just now, AgentOrange said:

To each his own....I would just venture to say, If I was coaching a program short on talent, my choice would be to double and triple down on tightends and try to ware out the D and create on on one situations for my receivers....I have seen it work..... 

...a short team would not have two / three play worthy TEs or muscle to wear out anyone but themselves in the 1st-quarter.

34 minutes ago, DayWalker said:

...a short team would not have two / three play worthy TEs or muscle to wear out anyone but themselves in the 1st-quarter.

its not about muscle....its about forcing the box..creating limited dbackfield coverage....once u force cover ones, a less talented qb can literally pick apart the coverage thus keeping the O on the field...you don't need to run over or punish a D to ware them out...just keeping them on the field is good enough.....keeping the D on the field limits the reps of the opposing O as well.... 

1 hour ago, AgentOrange said:

Disagree......once gain, even if your team can't block well, No opposing team will simply ignore a 6, 7 or 8 man Oline and oppose it with a 4-3 or 3-4....they have no choice but to throw a bear it it or box it up somehow....the 2 and 3 TE offence was the original spread because it tends to spread out the DBackfiield....

Don't take this the wrong way but this is ridiculous flat out. Problem - if you have coached you would know how hard it is to find TE type kids. Problem if the team is that much better you are depending on over matched OL to create a threat of a run game and yes with a terrible team I have seen (i.e. Westlake as DW can attest in its heyday) sit in base defense and say we are better too bad. Problem play action is just that if you have no real threat of a run what does it matter if you fake that said run no one cares. I could go on. Hopefully you did not coach a team that was at all over matched in any way shape or form. Problem if can't block well pack it in. I don't care if you run spread wing t or triple you are in for a long year. That made no sense.

1 hour ago, DayWalker said:

DW spot on!

54 minutes ago, AgentOrange said:

its not about muscle....its about forcing the box..creating limited dbackfield coverage....once u force cover ones, a less talented qb can literally pick apart the coverage thus keeping the O on the field...you don't need to run over or punish a D to ware them out...just keeping them on the field is good enough.....keeping the D on the field limits the reps of the opposing O as well.... 

Then why don't service academies do this? Why do teams run Wing T? Awful arguement. 

8 hours ago, AgentOrange said:

i get your point but part of a coaches job, like it or not is to bring in the talent....apparently he's not doing this....If he was a City league coach where (outside of Dunbar), recruiting simply does not exist, then I would understand...however, he is coaching a Miaa-a team.....coaching a Miaa-a team these days is similar to coaching a div3 college football...you have to put in work man....  

You do realize that once again Loyola drug their feet on this coaching hiring, he was not hired until January 24, so how much time did he have to recruit and get kids and parents to come to Loyola. That's why you have to give him a couple of years