DisaptdDon

Loyola Dons

710 posts in this topic

21 minutes ago, observenreport said:

I think it’s embarrassing to say it is because of safety... A school that once had great pride in the football program is going independent because of safety??? I wonder what the alumni think... 

What would be more commendable? Playing in the A and just forfeiting the St. Frances game because of safety or becoming independent for a couple of years? 

Funny thing is up until this season Loyola gave SFA pretty damn good games the three previous years, beating them once and losing by 3 & 2 pts the other 2 years

Edited by jbmad
Add

6 minutes ago, jbmad said:

Funny thing is up until this season Loyola gave SFA pretty damn good games the three previous years, beating them once and losing by 3 & 2 pts the other 2 years

Yeah but one is de-emphasizing while the other has bought an all-star team. My question is this: what is the smaller gap...SFA over the rest of the league or the rest of the league over Loyola?

4 minutes ago, Impartialfan said:

Yeah but one is de-emphasizing while the other has bought an all-star team. My question is this: what is the smaller gap...SFA over the rest of the league or the rest of the league over Loyola?

Well considering that besides the 22 pts to MSJ, SFA didn't give up more than 7 pts to any MIAA team. And to judge Loyola and First year coaching staff who was hired late is a little unfair. Even when they were losing the previous years Loyola players never seemed to give up like this past season

2 minutes ago, CHCCAPTAIN87 said:

Yes I have seen CHC has lost some good basketball players but I think they will turn it around.

Those kind of trends are hard to break

In some ways Loyola leaving is the only good option for the school. Apparently it is not a migration year (every 2 in the MIAA), and the school decided that the A conference had become fundamentally non competitive, and the likely hood of being competitive is far off.

The collateral damage of this move could be helpful. It kills again the nonsensical A conference playoffs. The league has changed over the past 10 years and there is no denying what happened. It was Poggi and the recruiting practices at Gilman-- which spread to McDonogh, and then the Next Level nonsense at Calvert Hall. That ratcheting up of buying athletes for football was one that doomed the league. Now it has metastasized over to St. Francis, and the league is still not taking any steps to ensure some kind of competitive balance. I imagine that Loyola took a look at what the league was offering, and what it would cost to compete and said, nah, we will go our own way. I bet the league settles down in the next 5 years as this recruiting fever breaks and St. Francis is ultimately the one on the outside looking in.

Lets see if the MIAA gets back to football for everyone in their schools. Full JV teams on every campus without junior playing down or taxi squads up and back. Freshman teams that can at least assure some boys a chance at a high school football experience. Loyola may just be the canary in the coal mine on this.

10 hours ago, sparky1 said:

In some ways Loyola leaving is the only good option for the school. Apparently it is not a migration year (every 2 in the MIAA), and the school decided that the A conference had become fundamentally non competitive, and the likely hood of being competitive is far off.

The collateral damage of this move could be helpful. It kills again the nonsensical A conference playoffs. The league has changed over the past 10 years and there is no denying what happened. It was Poggi and the recruiting practices at Gilman-- which spread to McDonogh, and then the Next Level nonsense at Calvert Hall. That ratcheting up of buying athletes for football was one that doomed the league. Now it has metastasized over to St. Francis, and the league is still not taking any steps to ensure some kind of competitive balance. I imagine that Loyola took a look at what the league was offering, and what it would cost to compete and said, nah, we will go our own way. I bet the league settles down in the next 5 years as this recruiting fever breaks and St. Francis is ultimately the one on the outside looking in.

Lets see if the MIAA gets back to football for everyone in their schools. Full JV teams on every campus without junior playing down or taxi squads up and back. Freshman teams that can at least assure some boys a chance at a high school football experience. Loyola may just be the canary in the coal mine on this.

Neville Chamberlain couldn’t have said it better. I’m ready to break out in the Man of La Mancha’s Impossible Dream. While recruiting may have run amok and eroded parity, how do you explain Loyola’s inability to compete with their fellow Catholic schools that have similar financial restraints (Spaldng, MSJ, CHC)? This is a classic case study in administrative mismanagement. The “Gang Who Couldn’t Shoot Straight” is in full retreat mode. The Jesuits turned over the management of this once fine institution to a lay Board who have made disasterous leadership choices. It’s really that simple.

Edited by mop

11 hours ago, jbmad said:

Those kind of trends are hard to break

Like the recent athletic trends at Loyola.  Very hard to break LOL! They won a JV game against CHC with starters on the Varsity...At least they have something to be proud of.  How many of those kids leave?!  Stay Tuned!!!

13 minutes ago, Tiger1012 said:

Like the recent athletic trends at Loyola.  Very hard to break LOL! They won a JV game against CHC with starters on the Varsity...At least they have something to be proud of.  How many of those kids leave?!  Stay Tuned!!!

I agree those trends are hard to break, but get your head out of your *** and realize that it's going to happen at more schools if they keep allowing certain stuff to happen, like the reclassing mess and the recruiting going on at certain schools. And as for the starter on varsity at least he was a actual freshman not like that reclass that you are so proud of

Just now, jbmad said:

I agree those trends are hard to break, but get your head out of your *** and realize that it's going to happen at more schools if they keep allowing certain stuff to happen, like the reclassing mess and the recruiting going on at certain schools. And as for the starter on varsity at least he was a actual freshman not like that reclass that you are so proud of

Is that the best you got...at least you can admit they did play a starter on varsity to win a JV game....And enough with the reclass stuff.  Those two are the same age!

Unity can lead to a swift exit of SFA from the league.  Which i am completely in agreement with that.  Now i ask you this, how does tucking your tail in between your legs and running help with that common goal?

I can't figure out why they simply would not just drop down to the B division. Where is EagleInsider when we need him!

I really feel bad for the kids, especially the freshman and sophomores who have played their way up from the JV to varsity. 

I am done with Loyola. First, a major overreaction to graffiti on a wall. (don't be so quick to assume the perpetrator is white i.e. Air force Academy incident a few years back), Second, becoming independent in FB. Rather than man up, take your lumps and attempt to rebuild after Keeney, Loyola instead, implodes the whole program. Forget recruiting at this point, Forget holding on to what talented kids they have on JV, forget lacrosse as well. All of this lies squarely at the feet of Keeney, Day, Marinacci and the bunch of do-nothing board members. Hope they are happy with the train wreck they have created. But hey, there's always Water Polo, Volleyball and Robotics.....pathetic.

13 minutes ago, Terps22 said:

I can't figure out why they simply would not just drop down to the B division. Where is EagleInsider when we need him!

I really feel bad for the kids, especially the freshman and sophomores who have played their way up from the JV to varsity. 

I agree with you completely about the kids, IMO they loose any real talent they have to transfer not only in football but other sports as well. This is how people who have never played sports respond to a little adversity. If I am a prospective student athlete or parent of I am seriously considering other paths for my academic as well as athletic endeavors.  The only good thing for the kids is they won't have to sit out a year if they transfer to another MIAA school

20 minutes ago, EaglePride said:

I am done with Loyola. First, a major overreaction to graffiti on a wall. (don't be so quick to assume the perpetrator is white i.e. Air force Academy incident a few years back), Second, becoming independent in FB. Rather than man up, take your lumps and attempt to rebuild after Keeney, Loyola instead, implodes the whole program. Forget recruiting at this point, Forget holding on to what talented kids they have on JV, forget lacrosse as well. All of this lies squarely at the feet of Keeney, Day, Marinacci and the bunch of do-nothing board members. Hope they are happy with the train wreck they have created. But hey, there's always Water Polo, Volleyball and Robotics.....pathetic.

Did you just say that we are suppose to believe that the perpetrator isn’t white? Seriously? Did you just write that? You have any knowledge of it being anybody? You have inside information? And the administration overreacted? Because writing those words are a small thing to you right? I’m sure it is, especially since more than likely, it’s verbage you use on a regular basis!! 

11 minutes ago, GREYHOUND ALUM said:

Did you just say that we are suppose to believe that the perpetrator isn’t white? Seriously? Did you just write that? You have any knowledge of it being anybody? You have inside information? And the administration overreacted? Because writing those words are a small thing to you right? I’m sure it is, especially since more than likely, it’s verbage you use on a regular basis!! 

Regular basis, what the h3!! are you talking about. Did you see the security camera in the hallway outside of the bathroom??? Do you have kids at the school, have you witnessed first hand similar occurrences initiated by black kids??? Point is, you have no facts, you are not affiliated with Loyola, and should shut your pie hole and worry about the mess in your own backyard on Roland Ave. Listen here Tex, racism goes both ways, if the kid that wrote on the bathroom wall turns out to be other than white, you are going to look pretty stupid. Again...All Hat and NO Cattle......Tex, or should I say Urkel. So I want you to point to anything that I said now or previous that reflects your twisted, raced based bias opinion of me>>>>> I am waiting. Fool. 

19 hours ago, gillytech said:

Trust me - many Gilman alumni, students and parents have a problem with the student's choice of costume, as well as the admin's initial response.

That's good to hear, at least someone is taking responsibility over there.

2 hours ago, mop said:

Neville Chamberlain couldn’t have said it better. I’m ready to break out in the Man of La Mancha’s Impossible Dream. While recruiting may have run amok and eroded parity, how do you explain Loyola’s inability to compete with their fellow Catholic schools that have similar financial restraints (Spaldng, MSJ, CHC)? This is a classic case study in administrative mismanagement. The “Gang Who Couldn’t Shoot Straight” is in full retreat mode. The Jesuits turned over the management of this once fine institution to a lay Board who have made disasterous leadership choices. It’s really that simple.

I am not sure Loyola has the same resources those schools do. Calvert Hall, MSJ are much bigger than Loyola, and have admirably been more flexible about entrance requirements and serving a mission. Spalding has a great area nearly to itself to recruit and an advantage, for some families of being coed. You are right though that Loyola has taken every opportunity to miss an opportunity. They have now given Day as much time as Peschi and the results have been worse. Announcing that you will hire a new AD, without really having one in mind, and then making all the substantive decisions for him (Independent football, hiring a new Lax coach) is goofy. Especially if they are jsut going to wait till June to announce that it will be Brant Hall.

In addition the school has made no attempt at hiring coaches for the athletic department. The eleven new hires for the past school year do not include a single faculty member who coaches a sport. Hard to make a difference on the athletic field if you are relying solely on part-timers. https://www.loyolablakefield.org/page/news-detail?pk=945484&fromId=197643

Still, I think in their circumstances it was the right decision. The option to moving down to the B was not on the table per the league.

38 minutes ago, EaglePride said:

Regular basis, what the h3!! are you talking about. Did you see the security camera in the hallway outside of the bathroom??? Do you have kids at the school, have you witnessed first hand similar occurrences initiated by black kids??? Point is, you have no facts, you are not affiliated with Loyola, and should shut your pie hole and worry about the mess in your own backyard on Roland Ave. Listen here Tex, racism goes both ways, if the kid that wrote on the bathroom wall turns out to be other than white, you are going to look pretty stupid. Again...All Hat and NO Cattle......Tex, or should I say Urkel. So I want you to point to anything that I said now or previous that reflects your twisted, raced based bias opinion of me>>>>> I am waiting. Fool. 

There’s a reason why your nickname on here is WHITE PRIDE! You just reminded everyone of why! 

9 hours ago, sparky1 said:

I am not sure Loyola has the same resources those schools do. Calvert Hall, MSJ are much bigger than Loyola, and have admirably been more flexible about entrance requirements and serving a mission. Spalding has a great area nearly to itself to recruit and an advantage, for some families of being coed. You are right though that Loyola has taken every opportunity to miss an opportunity. They have now given Day as much time as Peschi and the results have been worse. Announcing that you will hire a new AD, without really having one in mind, and then making all the substantive decisions for him (Independent football, hiring a new Lax coach) is goofy. Especially if they are jsut going to wait till June to announce that it will be Brant Hall.

In addition the school has made no attempt at hiring coaches for the athletic department. The eleven new hires for the past school year do not include a single faculty member who coaches a sport. Hard to make a difference on the athletic field if you are relying solely on part-timers. https://www.loyolablakefield.org/page/news-detail?pk=945484&fromId=197643

Still, I think in their circumstances it was the right decision. The option to moving down to the B was not on the table per the league.

A move like this without a concrete workable action plan would get you a battlefield demotion in the military. 

On 12/19/2017 at 8:40 PM, observenreport said:

I think it’s embarrassing to say it is because of safety... A school that once had great pride in the football program is going independent because of safety??? I wonder what the alumni think... 

What would be more commendable? Playing in the A and just forfeiting the St. Frances game because of safety or becoming independent for a couple of years? 

smart move by LB. Safety is the main factor.  With the "change in landscape" and expansion of talent pool (the LB letter)some school finally had enough of this SFA stuff and realized that our local teams are not playing local talent when playing SFA.  Transfers coming in from out of state and being housed here, players whose birth records seem very well hidden and no one challenging them to make sure certain kids weren't held back years in other schools before getting to SFA. If you stood on the field, you'd see that these are men vs boys.  Mr. Money pockets has raised his addiction for fame and prowess to a level that makes it dangerous for a 15 year old 10th grader to even be on the same field with these athletes going on 19 years old.  All the rest of the "A" teams need only send the same letter and then redo their schedules against each other without St Francis just like it was years ago before SFA came into football.  Isn't it interesting how Dunbar football champions are only a mile from SFA. If SFA were pulling local talent, they'd have most of the Dunbar players and Dunbar would not show the success they have.  Thus, SFA doesn't even bother with local recruiting.                         

45 minutes ago, watchfulreader80 said:

smart move by LB. Safety is the main factor.  With the "change in landscape" and expansion of talent pool (the LB letter)some school finally had enough of this SFA stuff and realized that our local teams are not playing local talent when playing SFA.  Transfers coming in from out of state and being housed here, players whose birth records seem very well hidden and no one challenging them to make sure certain kids weren't held back years in other schools before getting to SFA. If you stood on the field, you'd see that these are men vs boys.  Mr. Money pockets has raised his addiction for fame and prowess to a level that makes it dangerous for a 15 year old 10th grader to even be on the same field with these athletes going on 19 years old.  All the rest of the "A" teams need only send the same letter and then redo their schedules against each other without St Francis just like it was years ago before SFA came into football.  Isn't it interesting how Dunbar football champions are only a mile from SFA. If SFA were pulling local talent, they'd have most of the Dunbar players and Dunbar would not show the success they have.  Thus, SFA doesn't even bother with local recruiting.                         

LOL! The got crushed by Spalding, MSJ, McD, and Calvert Hall, too. Whats their long excuse there? The only team they could hang with is Gilman (21-14). You must have missed the thread with a dozen MIAA posters calling for their relegation, all season. If so, its this thread, for your review.

Edited by themamba