DisaptdDon

Loyola Dons

710 posts in this topic

On 1/3/2018 at 4:10 PM, jbmad said:

Supposedly, at least 2 5th year guys last year's team

Sam Thomas the LB played 5th year.  This year Bon Bon Williams also a 5th year.  He reclassed last year due to injury.  SFA is the only school in the country to offer medical redshirts lol

Curious, what is the major complaint regarding  Coach Stitchel? He is a good option guy, which they will need if they commit to running that. All that aside, what is the issue, the way he relates to (or doesn't relate to) the players? 

1 minute ago, HY3:13 said:

Curious, what is the major complaint regarding  Coach Stitchel? He is a good option guy, which they will need if they commit to running that. All that aside, what is the issue, the way he relates to (or doesn't relate to) the players? 

Because he holds kids accountable and too tough...

2 minutes ago, HY3:13 said:

The issue is he makes guys work for their position,  it doesn't matter who you are. Guys think that since they were there they should have a starting spot. He's hard on them, which most goid coaches are. Coach Z was hard on his Oline guys the 2 years he coached them that's why the Oline was one of the stronger positions on the team

One thing I’ll say about coach is he will make whoever work to get on the field 

however his style can rub some the wrong way 

The issue is not that he is too hard on the kids.  He apparently does not relate well to the kids, is overly negative, does not hold himself accountable and has not established confidence in his offense.  There are also rumors regarding conflicts with Coach Z re who is really the head coach.  With regard to the offensive line, watch the film - poor technique with lots of standing up and grabbing.  No real firing out.  Running backs and qb getting killed on most plays.

33 minutes ago, DisaptdDon said:

The issue is not that he is too hard on the kids.  He apparently does not relate well to the kids, is overly negative, does not hold himself accountable and has not established confidence in his offense.  There are also rumors regarding conflicts with Coach Z re who is really the head coach.  With regard to the offensive line, watch the film - poor technique with lots of standing up and grabbing.  No real firing out.  Running backs and qb getting killed on most plays.

I said before this year. This year Oline was soft as wonder bread. He didn't coach Oline this year until new coach quit or got fired

These were his kids and there is no excuse for poor technique and lack of toughness for kids that have been in the program for several years. There was some size but results were very disappointing. You can’t run an option offense with slow linemen lacking athleticism and basic  blocking skills.

49 minutes ago, DisaptdDon said:

These were his kids and there is no excuse for poor technique and lack of toughness for kids that have been in the program for several years. There was some size but results were very disappointing. You can’t run an option offense with slow linemen lacking athleticism and basic  blocking skills.

How about the fact that these guys were complaining from day one this year. Not only that so were the parents. I watched some of those guys the year before play big roles when injuries added up so you know they could do it. But you have to want to do it.

3 minutes ago, jbmad said:

How about the fact that these guys were complaining from day one this year. Not only that so were the parents. I watched some of those guys the year before play big roles when injuries added up so you know they could do it. But you have to want to do it.

No grit equals bad football players. You need a nucleus of 10-12 tough kids who can play. The rest of the herd will follow. Nick Saban would struggle with this raw material. Bad recruiting equals bad program no matter the level. 

13 minutes ago, mop said:

No grit equals bad football players. You need a nucleus of 10-12 tough kids who can play. The rest of the herd will follow. Nick Saban would struggle with this raw material. Bad recruiting equals bad program no matter the level. 

I agree MOP, also think that the last 4/5 years before this season the talent that they did have was not used to it's potential.  

A good coach creates the enviroment and make the best product out of the hand he is dealt.  LB kids were soft.  There is currently a a losing attitude at LB and this is a challenge for any coach.  Positive leadership and focus on the fundamentals are the cornerstone of any turnaround.  There were some good athletes on this years team that did not necessarily buy into the new program and were not effectively motivated by the coaching staff.  Lots of talk about parental interference.  That is real and an issue at most schools these days that needs to be managed.  All participants are frustrated by the continued lack of competitiveness.  Hopefully the move to independant will get LB back on track.

2 hours ago, DisaptdDon said:

A good coach creates the enviroment and make the best product out of the hand he is dealt.  LB kids were soft.  There is currently a a losing attitude at LB and this is a challenge for any coach.  Positive leadership and focus on the fundamentals are the cornerstone of any turnaround.  There were some good athletes on this years team that did not necessarily buy into the new program and were not effectively motivated by the coaching staff.  Lots of talk about parental interference.  That is real and an issue at most schools these days that needs to be managed.  All participants are frustrated by the continued lack of competitiveness.  Hopefully the move to independant will get LB back on track.

The coaching staff has to recruit a strong nucleus of kids from “football families”. Nothing culturally changes at LB until this happens. This may not happen until the current administration is deposed. That’s reality folks. I don’t do “pipe dreams”.

Edited by mop

11 hours ago, DisaptdDon said:

The problem is most of these kids are entitled and privileged and have never had someone hold them accountable or call them out they are not doing what their told/coached to do. The OC does this, and he is blamed for being too tough, come on!!! You can’t make kids tough overnight, if a kid isn’t tough, he isn’t tough... if you want a true culture change at Blakefield, it sounds like this is a guy you need to keep around, not chase away because he upset little Johnny for holding him accountable.

when this guy was at JC, his teams were known as being the toughest around and well coached. I’m sure he didn’t forget how to coach.

Now if you want to talk about the fact he doesn’t fit in with the type of kids that are at Loyola, I can listen to that, round peg/square hole. But I don’t blame him for that, that falls on Coach Z, he has been at Loyola and if he did any homework on the OC, he should have been able to notice this. The OC’s coaching style is no secret, he does what he does, and he will not back down.

You clearly have an issue with this guy/staff. You started and entire thread about how bad the team was and then called this guy out by name, asking if he was going to be around next year.

Damn, take that 50-poster DD from a cover DB....  :D

It sounds like you have to allow the medicine to work. If you want to have a tougher, more physical team, you have to lean on them, and insist that they rise to the occasion. NO sense crying over the kids who cry uncle and transfer, or decide they just want to lax. SOunds like coach has a track record of success in more blue collar environments and that did not carry over right away to the softer boys at Blakefield. Over time that can change, he has the coaching skills, now give him the boys to make it work. 

1 hour ago, sparky1 said:

It sounds like you have to allow the medicine to work. If you want to have a tougher, more physical team, you have to lean on them, and insist that they rise to the occasion. NO sense crying over the kids who cry uncle and transfer, or decide they just want to lax. SOunds like coach has a track record of success in more blue collar environments and that did not carry over right away to the softer boys at Blakefield. Over time that can change, he has the coaching skills, now give him the boys to make it work. 

Bingo, but you can't tell these parents who think their child is great that they are really soft and are not football ready. 

They guy had JC in B conf championship and lost to a more talented St Pauls team in OT, and was instrumental in Curley's 2015 Championship team...guy can coach...sounds like Loyola people want to break the mold but also don't want to at the same time!

3 minutes ago, jbmad said:

Bingo, but you can't tell these parents who think their child is great that they are really soft and are not football ready. 

you are right, and that may be what they are getting in trouble for. The problem may be that you can assess a kids athletic abilitiy pretty well by 9th grade but it may be harder to assess their character and work ethic. They may be rec superstars on a very good team, but not willing to put in the practice, work and patience that high school requires. 

Almost Everybody is football capable, few are willing to put in the work to be better than their opponents. It is not enough to just want the letterman jacket to be a winner. 

You hit it right on the head there Sparky. Can't tell you how many kids I saw sitting out practice because of a little injury. But ready to play on game dsy

Ask any old coach and they will tell you the same. There are far more "injuries" now that there are full time trainers available. 

21 minutes ago, sparky1 said:

Ask any old coach and they will tell you the same. There are far more "injuries" now that there are full time trainers available. 

100%!  Schools need good athletic trainers that will call out the kids that "milk" injuries.  I've worked with both good and bad trainers in that regard.  One of my favorite examples (of a good trainer) is a kid pulls himself out of conditioning and goes to trainer.  He tells trainer that he is "breathing heavy" and she responds, "Well that's because you are running sprints.  Now get back out there."  LOL

It is easy to blame the kids and parents and understand that this may be part of the problem but there is no excuse for the poor fundamentals shown by this team.

13 minutes ago, DisaptdDon said:

It is easy to blame the kids and parents and understand that this may be part of the problem but there is no excuse for the poor fundamentals shown by this team.

There is an excuse. The kids aren't good football players and don't want to be good football players. Football is like any subject, you can teach and teach and teach, but some students will always be C students in math or English, no matter how many tutors and teachers they have. If they care about the sport, care about being better to help their friends and team win they learn the fundamentals. If they are out there because their dad is making them play or they just want to snap a towel at their buddies in the locker room, they will never get better, because they don't care. And by the numbers at LB, they haven't been cutting anyone. . . so kids gotta think if I just hang around long enough I know I will get to play. I am sure some linemen are thinking God and Doritos made me 250, who needs fundamentals? Sooner or later coach will have to play me. 

18 minutes ago, DisaptdDon said:

Have you ever thought that poor attitude equals poor fundamentals DD. I watched a couple of those Oline guys play 2 years ago against SFA and almost pull of a huge win. They did it then so you tell me what happened