Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DisaptdDon

Loyola Dons

365 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, OldBallCoach said:

Then why don't service academies do this? Why do teams run Wing T? Awful arguement. 

I thought we were talking about high school football.....

7 hours ago, OldBallCoach said:

Don't take this the wrong way but this is ridiculous flat out. Problem - if you have coached you would know how hard it is to find TE type kids. Problem if the team is that much better you are depending on over matched OL to create a threat of a run game and yes with a terrible team I have seen (i.e. Westlake as DW can attest in its heyday) sit in base defense and say we are better too bad. Problem play action is just that if you have no real threat of a run what does it matter if you fake that said run no one cares. I could go on. Hopefully you did not coach a team that was at all over matched in any way shape or form. Problem if can't block well pack it in. I don't care if you run spread wing t or triple you are in for a long year. That made no sense.

I stand by my argument and have grown bored of this...it was fun....peace

30 minutes ago, AgentOrange said:

I stand by my argument and have grown bored of this...it was fun....peace

You needed to have not chimed in on freakin' Loyola and used your bullets on City - Dunbar.  Now your wad is shot and you spent.  Hell no I ain't giving you an after cigarette!!  And no wonder you just keep getting taken to the wood shed.  Pull your pants up and get into the game you should be in.  40B, do something with your guy!

Edited by DayWalker

6 hours ago, DayWalker said:

You needed to have not chimed in on freakin' Loyola and used your bullets on City - Dunbar.  Now your wad is shot and you spent.  Hell no I ain't giving you an after cigarette!!  And no wonder you just keep getting taken to the wood shed.  Pull your pants up and get into the game you should be in.  40B, do something with your guy!

You are starting to sound like my wife...or a wife.....the argument is over...now if u want to go out for dinner, I'm down for that but no more debating...I'm bushed...no fro real.

Spent!!!!,Like I said   smh

12 hours ago, jbmad said:

You do realize that once again Loyola drug their feet on this coaching hiring, he was not hired until January 24, so how much time did he have to recruit and get kids and parents to come to Loyola. That's why you have to give him a couple of years

The former coach is the assistant AD. In other words, this hire was pre-ordained and the current HC should have been intimate with the prior year's recruiting efforts as he was an important part of the staff. Still only seeing SFA, Spalding and CHC HCs at the next level down. You have to be ubiquitous to turn the program around. Double down or drop to the B.

No it was not, they brought outside people in to interview for job including the new Ryken coach. If it was pre ordained it would have been announced way before January  24.  

Just curious has Loyola ever considered dropping down to the "B" division while it tries to rebuild its program?

No program is going to be able to compete with SFA in the coming years if Poggi & Co will be able to just bring in kids left and right.

I asked that question to someone I know in the program. I was told the admin would never let that happen forget what might be in the best interest of the kids in the program

Loyola is proud of their tradition of competing in the A division of every sport. The overall sports program is cracking bit as the changes in youth sports creep in. The issue really isn't if Loyola stays in A or B division, it is is SFA stays in the MIAA at all. They really are not bringing much to the table, as outside of basketball and football they are providing games or matches for the other league members.  . . And the way they have been operating is not in line with other member schools. 

One of the goals of the sports programs at all private schools, besides generating good press and fostering alumni involvement,  is to try and attract more full-pays to the school. They will only come if there is some opportunity for them to have the chance to compete, and have a good sports/extracurricular experience. 

Loyola will be fine. They lost a lot from last years team. The offense they are running is totally opposite from what they have in the past so they are needing to be re-taught every aspect of the game from an offensive standpoint. That offense wont properly mesh until mid-season, the timing and reads associated with the triple option won't happen over night, and it is tough to replicate the reads at game speed in practice.

defensivley they have been stout thus far. The OC is a former B conf head coach, so the B conf teams are familiar with his offense. During Rawlings first stint at JC, the current Loyola OC was his OC, so its not suprising that they had trouble offensively, most teams would, no matter what offense you run, if the other team has intimate knowledge of your offense.

Should be an interesting game against Curley. Curley is kind of in the same boat, they are VERY young, and they are trying to completely change their offensive philosophy, and have struggled to do so as well. Most of the former offensive staff from Curley is now at Loyola so Loyola should be well aware of Curley's personnel.

I would just love this Loyola - Curley game to end in a 2-2 tie!!!!  :P

Is that even possible with the OT scheme?

Edited by DayWalker

1 hour ago, DayWalker said:

I would just love this Loyola - Curley game to end in a 2-2 tie!!!!  :P

Is that even possible with the OT scheme?

Maybe the Dunbar City game ends in a tie as well. Lol

Curley is very bad. Loyola should beat them.

Edited by 21234Volunteer

On 9/13/2017 at 8:36 PM, DayWalker said:

But those in the know know Riverdale B plays possum in scrimmages.  They will not dress / play everyone and look like a small in numbers team and then show up first game with a large team and players not seen before.  You need a game look at RBS for your assessment is what I'm saying and not a RBS scrimmage.

Talk trash with your co-worker's boo from a position of strength, having seen RBS in real games.

RBS looked much better against BMAC.  BMAC must be really bad! Didn't talk any trash to the RBS Dad.  I left him alone in his misery.

1 minute ago, TheGuru said:

RBS looked much better against BMAC.  BMAC must be really bad! Didn't talk any trash to the RBS Dad.  I left him alone in his misery.

Darn, I'll learn you how to kick 'em when they are really down and miserable...just a vamp's nature.

Just watched the Curley game tape.  Fortunate win for Loyola.  Interception and blocked field goal run backs were the winning plays. No passing attack from either team.   LB needs to find some offense as they head into their A conference schedule.

Both teams are really awful.  Maybe time to drop to C division if this is there new norm.

1 hour ago, Bully said:

Both teams are really awful.  Maybe time to drop to C division if this is there new norm.

Damn C division, that's a little harsh for Loyola.  New coaching staff takes time.

Just my two cents - why would Loyola commit fully to the triple option (had a short passing attack with Koras the last two years). No disrespect to DBlock34 and his comments, but they will not be firing on all cylinders by mid year. Ask any college coach how long it takes to fully develop the triple option (a year or more to run at game speed) )and what type of QB you need to run that (reads, quickness, ball fakes, pitch ability, toughness). It's one thing to run that that vs weaker teams, but the competition and speed of the game will only get worse for them in the A Conference (McD, SF, Spaulding will eat their lunch and you risk injury to the QB). So here is the thought, if you want to run something different than what every other coach in the A or B conference runs (which is the spread/read option) and I think that makes sense as Loyola doesn't recruit heavily why not run something a little easier on the QB but something that provides mis-direction and deception (think double wing), or even run a balanced attack using last year's offense and work in the triple option over time (could have gotten Will Koras to stay and used both QB's). I believe Towson on the public school side went to the double wing with a heavy set (2 TE's) and all of a sudden they have a RB with 3 - 150+ games. It's not the same (Towson's league vs the MIAA A conference) but it could work for them and you can run that formation with various talent levels at QB over the years. You need an outright stud to win with the triple option in the MIAA A conference and they won't have that every year. Doesn't sound like a long term plan to me. Again, just my 2 cents. 

Next 2 cents - ha ha When recruiting, it has to be the big boys first. It's great to have a few play makers, but the line wins games. McD went to that five years years ago (line first and then biggest need) and they have been solid ever sense (I know they recruit of tone of kids so it's easy to say that). I watch a lot of the B conference teams and you know they recruited the RB and a few DB/WR's and because they can't block nothing really happens. As a line coach, the Loyola HC will know that and hopefully he can get a few horses up front. There is actually enough athletic talent at the school (I know many have left the program) to be competitive (outside of recruits) if they had the recruiting centered on the line.            

Interesting comments.  I agree that the triple option needs to be phased in and there was an opportunity to combine with a passing attack that had kept LD competitive the last several years. The rumor is that Koras wanted to play his senior year but the coach was not willing to accomodate his summer golf tournement schedule.  Koras has a division 1 golf scholorship.

Is the HC working with the oline this year? I was at the JC game and it didn't look like he was with them pre-game. didn't really look like he was involved with the offense at all to be honest. They were huge compared to JC's line, also saw the film of the curley game, they were huge compared to them too. But both DL's beat up the bigger, stronger Loyola line. In years past, when he was the OL coach, I thought they were one of the teams best units.

If he has a d1 scholarship in golf then go play golf, can't blame a coach who is trying to establish a system to get the kid to buy into what they are doing...Loyola graduated a ton of players from last years team and you cannot expect a team to compete right away when they haven't won a conference game in several years.  Rebuilding takes take and recruiting, if the kids arn't buying into the program and the coaches aren't getting support then they are in trouble for a long time.

The key to LB football success in the not to distant past was to attract, support and encourage multi-sport athletes.  More important than ever to offset heavy football recruiting by other A conference schools.