Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DisaptdDon

Loyola Dons

365 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, Mr.Stein said:

I hope this is just a rumor but I heard last night that at least 7 football players voluntarily left Loyola Blakefield this week due to some issues with other students. 

I really hope that's not true. Not having a lot of good Jesuits running the place has really weakened the School. 

Edited by mop

On ‎9‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 2:22 PM, mop said:

Simple answer: Pay HCs and assistants like those in GA and TX. You would get the right type of coaches if you hired intellegently. If marketed correctly to the alumni base (not at all schools but many) this would generate additional alumni contributions which would more than pay for the added expense. All of this takes vision and leadership. 

There are/where a few FB players that feel a sense of entitlement for some strange reason. I know coach Z will not put up with any of that nonsense.

40 minutes ago, EaglePride said:

There are/where a few FB players that feel a sense of entitlement for some strange reason. I know coach Z will not put up with any of that nonsense.

Sense of entitlement?  How “ungrateful” of those players to leave Loyola all of a sudden.  👀

On September 25, 2017 at 9:51 AM, DisaptdDon said:

SFA this week.  Any thoughts?

Blood Bath. They won't stand a chance. 42-0

On ‎9‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 2:22 PM, mop said:

Simple answer: Pay HCs and assistants like those in GA and TX. You would get the right type of coaches if you hired intellegently. If marketed correctly to the alumni base (not at all schools but many) this would generate additional alumni contributions which would more than pay for the added expense. All of this takes vision and leadership. 

Unless the SFA kids all get the flu or their bus gets stuck in traffic, it will be UGLY.

14 minutes ago, Dmvballer said:

Blood Bath. They won't stand a chance. 42-0

Does anyone stand a chance? I don't think so until they meet IMG when they will fall. 

42 minutes ago, themamba said:

Not another exodus. smh

Here we go. Loyolas turn in the rumor mill.

52 minutes ago, jbmad said:

Does anyone stand a chance? I don't think so until they meet IMG when they will fall. 

Sounds like the MIAA should just call it a wrap, crown SFA now, and move on to bball...

2 hours ago, EaglePride said:

Fully understand the need for discipline in all sports especially football. Turning a program around is never easy. Hope Coach Z and his staff have the "pied piper" recruiting mentality and get the support they need from the administration to fill the roster with real football families (players who played high level ball prior to high school) who are committed to a winning high school football program. As with most things in life, the cream rises to the top and the crap sinks to the bottom. 

25 minutes ago, DayWalker said:

Sounds like the MIAA should just call it a wrap, crown SFA now, and move on to bball...

Nah DW just bust in chops, actually think McD gives them all they can handle. And if Spalding can throw they give them a tough game also. They can be thrown on as seen in the scrimmage against DM

2 hours ago, EaglePride said:

Did 7 players actually leave the School? That would be unprecedented.....

Not sure. I heard rumblings and know a few thought they were guaranteed starting spots just for showing up. I blame the parents for much of the way today's kids act. Many are in for a rude awakening in the real world. (now get off my lawn)

38 minutes ago, EaglePride said:

Not sure. I heard rumblings and know a few thought they were guaranteed starting spots just for showing up. I blame the parents for much of the way today's kids act. Many are in for a rude awakening in the real world. (now get off my lawn)

I have heard the same and couldn't agree more.  Has to do with selfish reasons for the most part,  such as playing time, wanting promises to be made, etc and is driven mostly by the parents.  The new HC has zero tolerance for that kind of stuff (as should any HC) so naturally players/parents are going to go to another program if they feel like they aren't in control and getting what THEY want rather than just doing what the team needs and trusting in the coaches.  LHS may be struggling as a program, but it sounds like it has not compromised team-first principles in order to give into selfish demands or expectations by individual players/parents. I've seen terrible teams that are plagued with players/families with individual interests only at heart, and there is nothing uglier than that. If you are going to have a rough season, better to have it with people who are committed fully to team-first mentality. 

I wonder what happens to those families that leave schools because the coach/school didn't give into their demands or didn't promise spots/playing time to them.  I would never wish a kid to not succeed in life,  but I have to say that in some cases the parents certainly aren't setting their kids up for success in my opinion. 

27 minutes ago, qwerty1234 said:

I have heard the same and couldn't agree more.  Has to do with selfish reasons for the most part,  such as playing time, wanting promises to be made, etc and is driven mostly by the parents.  The new HC has zero tolerance for that kind of stuff (as should any HC) so naturally players/parents are going to go to another program if they feel like they aren't in control and getting what THEY want rather than just doing what the team needs and trusting in the coaches.  LHS may be struggling as a program, but it sounds like it has not compromised team-first principles in order to give into selfish demands or expectations by individual players/parents. I've seen terrible teams that are plagued with players/families with individual interests only at heart, and there is nothing uglier than that. If you are going to have a rough season, better to have it with people who are committed fully to team-first mentality. 

I wonder what happens to those families that leave schools because the coach/school didn't give into their demands or didn't promise spots/playing time to them.  I would never wish a kid to not succeed in life,  but I have to say that in some cases the parents certainly aren't setting their kids up for success in my opinion. 

The way to solve all of this is to recruit good football kids and families and then win baby. Winning shuts all of the malcontents up. If you tell parents, you can't call me about playing time or I'll cut your son, that works too but expect some transfers especially if you're losing a lot. If you spread the rock around and win a ton, everyone bites their tongue. Trust me, AL parents don't say "Jack" to Nick Saban. Nor do pro players say anything to Bill B. Both of those guys will respond, "Next". 

On ‎9‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 11:48 AM, qwerty1234 said:

Agreed--Spalding is clearly getting it done and LHS should be figuring out why they can make it work and LHS can't. Recruiting is def part of it, LHS needs to be more active and aggressive. However I don't think the program assumes players will just show up at the door automatically anymore. Those days are long gone. IMO the finances were different during Abbott era. The administration during that time was very open to head coaches simply going to them and saying--we need this kid, he's a game changer. And the administration responding with--Ok we'll make it work from the financial end. Since then the administration structure has changed and the financial aid available to student athletes is more complex and difficult to get. 

I don't see Loyola getting better anytime soon, Spalding's coach in my opinion is the best in the league.  

He's good but he has flaws as well, he should have never lost the game to GC after getting up 21-0

1 hour ago, mop said:

The way to solve all of this is to recruit good football kids and families and then win baby. Winning shuts all of the malcontents up. If you tell parents, you can't call me about playing time or I'll cut your son, that works too but expect some transfers especially if you're losing a lot. If you spread the rock around and win a ton, everyone bites their tongue. Trust me, AL parents don't say "Jack" to Nick Saban. Nor do pro players say anything to Bill B. Both of those guys will respond, "Next". 

Completely agree--winning eliminates a lot of the unnecessary distractions. I also agree that telling parents they can't discuss playing time with the coach is OK to do, especially in this day and age where it is so prevalent. Yes-that may lead to disgruntled families transferring out but the coach has at least set the tone early and nipped a lot of the parent issues in the bud.  However, in no way is Alabama or NE in any kind of remotely similar position as a HS football coach in this area. They can easily say "next" because they have an army of talent/depth to replace anyone on the roster at any given time. Unfortunately a school like Loyola is also suffering from lack of numbers in the program and talent. This can create a negative sense of false perception by the players and parents thinking they are better than they really are. An average or above average player may be a starter at LHS and then transfer to a CHC or St. Frances and be a practice player there. In my opinion, the player is getting a better deal staying at a place like LHS where he can be someone that is counted on to make plays in games rather than a back up or non-factor player on a larger team with greater depth. 

Edited by qwerty1234

4 minutes ago, jbmad said:

He's good but he has flaws as well, he should have never lost the game to GC after getting up 21-0

Interestingly enough-Spalding coach applied for the job when it opened up after Abbott. Wonder if he could have produced the same results at LHS that he has at Spalding

15 minutes ago, qwerty1234 said:

Completely agree--winning eliminates a lot of the unnecessary distractions. I also agree that telling parents they can't discuss playing time with the coach is OK to do, especially in this day and age where it is so prevalent. Yes-that may lead to disgruntled families transferring out but the coach has at least set the tone early and nipped a lot of the parent issues in the bud.  However, in no way is Alabama or NE in any kind of remotely similar position as a HS football coach in this area. They can easily say "next" because they have an army of talent/depth to replace anyone on the roster at any given time. Unfortunately a school like Loyola is also suffering from lack of numbers in the program and talent. This can create a negative sense of false perception by the players and parents thinking they are better than they really are. An average or above average player may be a starter at LHS and then transfer to a CHC or St. Frances and be a practice player there. In my opinion, the player is getting a better deal staying at a place like LHS where he can be someone that is counted on to make plays in games rather than a back up or non-factor player on a larger team with greater depth. 

How can you even put CHC in the same sentence as SFA, plenty of players at Loyola the past few years could have played at most schools, maybe not this year's team, but guys like Boozer and some of the younger players could play anywhere

17 minutes ago, qwerty1234 said:

Interestingly enough-Spalding coach applied for the job when it opened up after Abbott. Wonder if he could have produced the same results at LHS that he has at Spalding

The biggest difference is that Kyle has the support of the administration.  So no probably not

4 hours ago, OldBallCoach said:

Here we go. Loyolas turn in the rumor mill.

Oh, this is another one of those, #FakeNews?

Do not disagree with the comments about what is troubling youth and hs sports.  

However, to clarify the LB situation as explained to me, one student has tranfered to CH this week.  Five have left the football program to preserve their ability to tranfer and play next year elsewhere.  The issue at LB is poor communication between the coaches and the players and a lack of confidence in the direction the program is heading.   Coach Z and his new staff have not related well with the boys and have not been able to show them a way forward. Recognize that it is tough to turn around a losing program but it starts with mutual respect between the coaches and their players and the adult leadership to    pull together all particiants to agree on the best solution for the kids.   

9 minutes ago, DisaptdDon said:

Do not disagree with the comments about what is troubling youth and hs sports.  

However, to clarify the LB situation as explained to me, one student has tranfered to CH this week.  Five have left the football program to preserve their ability to tranfer and play next year elsewhere.  The issue at LB is poor communication between the coaches and the players and a lack of confidence in the direction the program is heading.   Coach Z and his new staff have not related well with the boys and have not been able to show them a way forward. Recognize that it is tough to turn around a losing program but it starts with mutual respect between the coaches and their players and the adult leadership to    pull together all particiants to agree on the best solution for the kids.   

That one player who transferred is probably the one that had a brother go there after being at Loyola in the lower school. Some of the players who left the team are probably also the guys who were not playing because they didn't show up for off-season training and refused to take the conditioning test. And whose parents are the ones on the sideline *****ing and moaning that my kid is the fastest and the best and this and that. Now tell me how this comes back to coach Z not relating well to his players. It's my understanding that coach Z had meetings with all of these players right after he was hired and they were told what specifically was expected of them if they were going to play football. So how does them not holding up their end of the bargain come back to being coach Z fault. That's the problem with kids and their parents who never want to take the blame. 

4 hours ago, EaglePride said:

You just hit on one of the major issues with HS recruiting with the mediocre programs. Coaches locally are promising "time" and "I'll put your kid in college" in order to compete with the top programs. So you have kids that walk in and think they deserve to play right away without earning it. Coaches then crumble when the helicopter parent comes around complaining that "you didn't live up to your promises". I've seen recruit parents walk on the field at half time over this issue or we all know father's on staff's that have absolutely no background to justify being on the staff. Then the transfer season starts when everyone is unhappy. And if you grant that playing time without the player earning it, the other player's see right through that and you lose other kids in the program as they know it's not about "earning" time but about who was promised what. And it's just as bad with teacher's kids/donors, etc. 

What ever happened to - I just got you in a great HS, if you work hard and earn the time...you play (and if you really have talent, you will play in college). if you don't earn it, you will be on the team and will get a great education and will also go to college as a student. Best players should play, period. No more, were playing him for the future or we have an "obligation" for whatever reason. This issue is killing a lot of the mediocre programs