Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DisaptdDon

Loyola Dons

387 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, jbmad said:

How can you even put CHC in the same sentence as SFA, plenty of players at Loyola the past few years could have played at most schools, maybe not this year's team, but guys like Boozer and some of the younger players could play anywhere

Agreed. There are some the past few years who could start in other programs. This year not so much. I was lumping CHC and St F together just to give example of schools that have a lot more depth and numbers in general. The backups on those squads could probably give the starting lineup at LHS a run for their money. Can't say the same for the LHS backups vs other schools. Depth is huge for any team to have healthy inter squad competition. In the past few years it seems like starters at Loyola, while many deserved to start ability-wise and could possibly start at other schools, also had no one behind them really challenging them for that spot.  Therefore players could easily take plays off, practices off, etc and have no real threat of a legitimate next man up. That is the "culture" from previous years that the new coach is trying to change. Players who play in games truly earn it regardless of how good they are or how bad the back up is. 

Edited by qwerty1234

2 hours ago, jbmad said:

That one player who transferred is probably the one that had a brother go there after being at Loyola in the lower school. Some of the players who left the team are probably also the guys who were not playing because they didn't show up for off-season training and refused to take the conditioning test. And whose parents are the ones on the sideline *****ing and moaning that my kid is the fastest and the best and this and that. Now tell me how this comes back to coach Z not relating well to his players. It's my understanding that coach Z had meetings with all of these players right after he was hired and they were told what specifically was expected of them if they were going to play football. So how does them not holding up their end of the bargain come back to being coach Z fault. That's the problem with kids and their parents who never want to take the blame. 

Great points here--finger shouldn't be pointed at the coach with the players leaving issue. While some may have been different reasons, they definitely had some bad guidance in their ears about this season that was coming from elsewhere. 

First of all I don't agree with you on that. 2 years ago, coach Z first as line coach a kid who was a 2 yr starter at tackle lost his starting job because he wasn't giving it his all. The biggest problem with last year's team was not competition but injuries. 3/4 of the starting defensive backfield was out for the year before the 2nd game, which was played without the 4th starter due to suspension.  In that game starting RB injured. Many injuries on Oline including starting center and rt.

2 hours ago, Express said:

You just hit on one of the major issues with HS recruiting with the mediocre programs. Coaches locally are promising "time" and "I'll put your kid in college" in order to compete with the top programs. So you have kids that walk in and think they deserve to play right away without earning it. Coaches then crumble when the helicopter parent comes around complaining that "you didn't live up to your promises". I've seen recruit parents walk on the field at half time over this issue or we all know father's on staff's that have absolutely no background to justify being on the staff. Then the transfer season starts when everyone is unhappy. And if you grant that playing time without the player earning it, the other player's see right through that and you lose other kids in the program as they know it's not about "earning" time but about who was promised what. And it's just as bad with teacher's kids/donors, etc. 

What ever happened to - I just got you in a great HS, if you work hard and earn the time...you play (and if you really have talent, you will play in college). if you don't earn it, you will be on the team and will get a great education and will also go to college as a student. Best players should play, period. No more, were playing him for the future or we have an "obligation" for whatever reason. This issue is killing a lot of the mediocre programs  

Could not agree more with everything said here. Great post summarizing the sad state of HS athletics and misguided youth. 

7 minutes ago, jbmad said:

First of all I don't agree with you on that. 2 years ago, coach Z first as line coach a kid who was a 2 yr starter at tackle lost his starting job because he wasn't giving it his all. The biggest problem with last year's team was not competition but injuries. 3/4 of the starting defensive backfield was out for the year before the 2nd game, which was played without the 4th starter due to suspension.  In that game starting RB injured. Many injuries on Oline including starting center and rt.

And he was going against the grain by doing that two years ago. His individual philosophy against others. He wasn't the head coach then so that wasn't something that happened with other players at starting skill positions overseen by previous coach and others. Now he is the HC trying to implement that philosophy with the whole team. Injuries were an issue but there were some serious team culture problems too the past two seasons. He would be the first person to admit that I am sure. The team culture stuff contributed to losing just as much as injuries. 

1 minute ago, qwerty1234 said:

And he was going against the grain by doing that two years ago. His individual philosophy against others. He wasn't the head coach then so that wasn't something that happened with other players at starting skill positions overseen by previous coach and others. Now he is the HC trying to implement that philosophy with the whole team. Injuries were an issue but there were some serious team culture problems too the past two seasons. He would be the first person to admit that I am sure. The team culture stuff contributed to losing just as much as injuries. 

Oh I agree with you on that, the so called team motto the last 2 years was Team before me, which IMO was a crock. You had a few players on the team that their motto was Me Me Me and it was allowed to happen. 

1 minute ago, jbmad said:

Oh I agree with you on that, the so called team motto the last 2 years was Team before me, which IMO was a crock. You had a few players on the team that their motto was Me Me Me and it was allowed to happen. 

You can't preach a team philosophy if everyone--coaches, players, etc don't live by it daily without exceptions or special circumstances exempting individuals from following it.  That was the problem with that motto really living out. Mottos are great, but takes a lot of work to instill.  

11 minutes ago, qwerty1234 said:

You can't preach a team philosophy if everyone--coaches, players, etc don't live by it daily without exceptions or special circumstances exempting individuals from following it.  That was the problem with that motto really living out. Mottos are great, but takes a lot of work to instill.  

That's for sure and it was not enforced that's for sure

7 hours ago, qwerty1234 said:

Kids who are passionate about football can see through phony administrators and educators. When the Head of School pays lip service to the Program and the AD can't advocate for the boys to save his life, kids see through the BS. When your historic coaching cabal, who makes all of the personnel decisions, aren't really good football people: their only claim to fame was their longevity not their ingenuity or ability to motivate, your football program is in big trouble.

Spalding had a very good coach pass away and replaced him with arguably the best coach in the League. MSJ also replaced a good coach with a better one. There are no shortcuts at LB: its about leadership, support and the ability to be messianic about your Program's vision. Partnering with Hamilton was a short cut and hasn't worked. The new coach has said all of the right things but frankly a strong coach doesn't take that job without certain guarantees regarding support from the administration. Recruiting mercenary kids/families and making false promises is a recipe for cultural disaster. You're better off giving a bunch of partial scholarships to "hungry blue collared" kids from "football families" and changing the culture of the team from within. I will give Coach Z two years (because he was there for 2 as an assistant and should have had a big head start) to put a disciplined hard working team on the field.  Really hoping he can turn this thing around. 

Edited by mop

16 hours ago, DisaptdDon said:

Do not disagree with the comments about what is troubling youth and hs sports.  

However, to clarify the LB situation as explained to me, one student has tranfered to CH this week.  Five have left the football program to preserve their ability to tranfer and play next year elsewhere.  The issue at LB is poor communication between the coaches and the players and a lack of confidence in the direction the program is heading.   Coach Z and his new staff have not related well with the boys and have not been able to show them a way forward. Recognize that it is tough to turn around a losing program but it starts with mutual respect between the coaches and their players and the adult leadership to    pull together all particiants to agree on the best solution for the kids.   

This story @ Loyola is starting to have a familiar ring to it. I did a little fact checking and the OC had communication issues w/players when he was the HC at John Carroll, the OLine coach  @ AC (Or Head Coach - depending upon who you talk to) and now seems like something is brewing w/the Don's. He might be a great guy, but if you can get you players to buy what your selling - how great of a coach can you really be? These set of coaches have the greatest intentions as do all, but your track record is your track record. Spalding could have put 80 plus on Loyola. The Freshman QB is going to be special...will like to see how they evolve there pass game around him.

I will be shocked after watching Loyola/AS if Loyola wins an A conference game this season - let's call it like it is...there a bad football team, maybe one of the worse in a long time.

Edited by BumpyJohnson

4 minutes ago, BumpyJohnson said:

This story @ Loyola is starting to have a familiar ring to it. I did a little fact checking and the OC had communication issues w/players when he was the HC at John Carroll, the OLine coach  @ AC (Or Head Coach - depending upon who you talk to) and now seems like something is brewing w/the Don's. He might be a great guy, but if you can get you players to buy what your selling - how great of a coach can you really be? These set of coaches have the greatest intentions as do all, but your track record is your track record. Spalding could have put 80 plus on Loyola. The Freshman QB is going to be special...will like to see how they evolve there pass game around him.

I will be shocked after watching Loyola/AS if Loyola wins an A conference game this season - let's call it like it is...there a bad football team, maybe one of the worse in a long time.

He was also the OC at A.C.. Heard the same thing coming out of the stands at the A.C. game from parents on both sides about his communication skills with players. He wants what he wants and if he doesn't get it he tells you things you don't want to hear.  Heard the players are not real happy with him

I guess a little up front due diligence could have gone a long way prior to the hiring.

By waiting until Jan 24 to hire coach Z they really didn't give much time to find a OC and other coaches. Should have had coach in place when Hall announced he was leaving, they already knew for almost a year.

35 minutes ago, jbmad said:

He was also the OC at A.C.. Heard the same thing coming out of the stands at the A.C. game from parents on both sides about his communication skills with players. He wants what he wants and if he doesn't get it he tells you things you don't want to hear.  Heard the players are not real happy with him

Yes - my source explained that while at Curley, Murphy was the HC, but the Line Coach (Loyola's OC) ran the offense. In fact they ran Flexbone..in the final game of the season in 2016. The offense staff at Loyola consist of the Curley's OLine coach from 2016, A backfield coach supposed QB coach and the former Oline coach from previous season at Curley. Interesting selection of coaches but somehow some way they need to find a way to get the kids to buy into what is being taught. It didn't work at his previous two stops JC and AC, and doesn't look like its working at Loyola. 

Oh well - we shall see if things improve this week. Just going to be a long season for the Don's...this will be a much needed down year for them...lol!

Loyola has a solid staff. The Loyola OC was the line coach for Curley one year and Dline coach/Co D-coordinator the other two. Curley was was undefeated in 2014, 10-0 (B conference champions), 2015, 6-4 (lost to John Carroll in championship game) and 5-5 last year. However, they won 4 of their last five games in 2016. The offensive staff is solid at Loyola. 

This issue with Loyola is they are a B conference team and have been since 2011. Look at their record vs B conference teams 2012 - lost st paul's, 2013 - lost to Curley, 2014 - lost to Curley, 2015 - lost to John Carroll, 2017 - lost to BL and John Carroll. Had they been in the B Conference since 2011 they still would not have won it.  

Loyola is playing in the A conference to satisfy alumni who are living in the past.  Loyola wants to maintain their academic integrity and give need based aid to students athletes which is great, but that ain't getting it done in the A conference. Lets be honest, St Francis has no academic standards, they can get in any player they want.  I was told they brought in 20 plus transfers this year, the vast majority with out of area zip codes.  Plus, this kids are being housed in row homes in the city.  Great for St Francis who has built a football factory, not great teams playing against them. McDonogh has unlimited financial resources and can house players, their Qb who is from Bishop O Connel is a prime example.  Gilman also has the financial resources and willing to spend.   Spalding and Mount St. Joe are much more affordable then Loyola and admit student into their programs that Loyola won't because of their academic integrity. Calvert Hall has the La Salle Program for students who don't have the skills academically but have potential in the classroom and on the athletic field. Loyola doesn't offer anything similar.  Calvert hall also has the Cardinal & Gold Club which they use to increase tuition in order to help top football players.

The point is Loyola has no business being in the A conference. They are doing a disservice to their players and coaches because the alumni think they are still in the 70's, 80's & 90's. In the mid 2000's, when Abbott was at Loyola,  they had kids who were getting money (Garvin).  They also had 7/8 players that played D1 football during Abbotts time. They are not getting those kids now because the landscape has changed dramatically.  Money is a huge factor! Loyola is not admitting kids that don't meet their academic standards which is noble.  They aren't giving the extra cash either.  It's all about money for the top players and Loyola isn't keeping up with their counterparts.   Again, it's a noble cause and One I agree with. However, don't put the kids in a situation to fail.  They will get killed this year and their Jv is average at best.  There is no light at the end of tunnel.  They haven't won an A conference game in three years and vast majority of last years staff requested that the program move to the B before they left.  It's ridiculous, because the landscape in A conference football and basketball has shifted completely.  In 1980 would anyone think Mount Carmel or Glenelg Country Day would be in the A in basketball? How did they get there? Finacial aid/ scholarships, admitting some kids who were questionable academically.  It's no different in football. Loyola should either commit to football, open their pocket books, admit kids that are questionable academically and try and compete or just move to the B or go independent.  Do what's best for the student/athletes, not the egos of alumni who have no clue what is going on in the A conference. 

Lastly, Fordham once played Notre Dame in Football and was a national power.  They are a FCS/1aa football program who plays Patriot league football. Good football and they have had success.  Things change. This is now, not 10 yeas ago, 20 years ago, the 70's when Loyola was a power. Do what's best for the kids since the school has put them in the position.  Either commit or move down, very simple! 

They have zero commitment to compete in the A from

Edited by Campy19

When putting in a new complex offense (one that is in some ways an anachronism and is not universally loved in the spread happy rec and high school coaching circles), you better have your act in order. What that means is almost daily film sessions (watching how GT or Navy execute the play(s) correctly and explaining why the play works (creating confusion via options, motion and misdirection). Then walking through it on the field, then going full speed until the plays are muscle memory and your QB can make the option reads in his sleep. You need a team full of assistants who have mastered the offense and can explain the how and why. This is teaching 101 but LB under Keeney's great leadership seem to have forgotten their Jesuit roots. Someone at the season opening alumni  banquet asked the HC, who on your staff has actually run the veer, he answered only our OC. I state my case. 

12 minutes ago, Campy19 said:

Loyola has a solid staff. The Loyola OC was the line coach for Curley one year and Dline coach/Co D-coordinator the other two. Curley was was undefeated in 2014, 10-0 (B conference champions), 2015, 6-4 (lost to John Carroll in championship game) and 5-5 last year. However, they won 4 of their last five games in 2016. The offensive staff is solid at Loyola. 

This issue with Loyola is they are a B conference team and have been since 2011. Look at their record vs B conference teams 2012 - lost st paul's, 2013 - lost to Curley, 2014 - lost to Curley, 2015 - lost to John Carroll, 2017 - lost to BL and John Carroll. Had they been in the B Conference since 2011 they still would not have won it.  

Loyola is playing in the A conference to satisfy alumni who are living in the past.  Loyola wants to maintain their academic integrity and give need based aid to students athletes which is great, but that ain't getting it done in the A conference. Lets be honest, St Francis has no academic standards, they can get in any player they want.  I was told they brought in 20 plus transfers this year, the vast majority with out of area zip codes.  Plus, this kids are being housed in row homes in the city.  Great for St Francis who has built a football factory, not great teams playing against them. McDonogh has unlimited financial resources and can house players, their Qb who is from Bishop O Connel is a prime example.  Gilman also has the financial resources and willing to spend.   Spalding and Mount St. Joe are much more affordable then Loyola and admit student into their programs that Loyola won't because of their academic integrity. Calvert Hall has the La Salle Program for students who don't have the skills academically but have potential in the classroom and on the athletic field. Loyola doesn't offer anything similar.  Calvert hall also has the Cardinal & Gold Club which they use to increase tuition in order to help top football players.

The point is Loyola has no business being in the A conference. They are doing a disservice to their players and coaches because the alumni think they are still in the 70's, 80's & 90's. In the mid 2000's, when Abbott was at Loyola,  they had kids who were getting money (Garvin).  They also had 7/8 players that played D1 football during Abbotts time. They are not getting those kids now because the landscape has changed dramatically.  Money is a huge factor! Loyola is not admitting kids that don't meet their academic standards which is noble.  They aren't giving the extra cash either.  It's all about money for the top players and Loyola isn't keeping up with their counterparts.   Again, it's a noble cause and One I agree with. However, don't put the kids in a situation to fail.  They will get killed this year and their Jv is average at best.  There is no light at the end of tunnel.  They haven't won an A conference game in three years and vast majority of last years staff requested that the program move to the B before they left.  It's ridiculous, because the landscape in A conference football and basketball has shifted completely.  In 1980 would anyone think Mount Carmel or Glenelg Country Day would be in the A in basketball? How did they get there? Finacial aid/ scholarships, admitting some kids who were questionable academically.  It's no different in football. Loyola should either commit to football, open their pocket books, admit kids that are questionable academically and try and compete or just move to the B or go independent.  Do what's best for the student/athletes, not the egos of alumni who have no clue what is going on in the A conference. 

Lastly, Fordham once played Notre Dame in Football and was a national power.  They are a FCS/1aa football program who plays Patriot league football. Good football and they have had success.  Things change. This is now, not 10 yeas ago, 20 years ago, the 70's when Loyola was a power. Do what's best for the kids since the school has put them in the position.  Either commit or move down, very simple! 

Have to disagree they would have beaten any team in the B conf last year including Palloti,  why did you leave last year's team out

11 minutes ago, Campy19 said:

This is not about all of the LB alumni, it is about one man, Mike Keeney and the small group of alumni he represents. 

Paying for a few stud FB players each year is very doable and should be no issue. If we can get Keeney to retire, and get Day to buy in, things can turn around. OLine drives everything regardless of offensive scheme in HS, Paying half or full tuition for a few stud OLineman would yield results fairly fast. Most of Abbotts winning teams had monster OLineman. LB has a lot to offer outside of football, if you can get kids on campus for a tour, they will be very impressed. Its sad that little Johnny Football's parents get blinded by the prospects of playing at the next level when only 2% actually do. I can't think of many other schools that can match the total package/experience that LB offers.That said, nothing changes as long as Keeney is strolling the halls with his glasses on the tip of his nose.

35 minutes ago, Campy19 said:

Let's not kid ourselves...that Curley team you reference was a team full of studs! They were the B-Conference bully and it showed. Some talent left and John Carroll smoked them in the championship the following year - then there is last season. They lost to Severn School, St. Mary's teams w/less talent. Then you didn't speak on what happened at JC when he was the head coach. No one is saying  they are not a solid staff. Talk on what was posted - they say the kids have a problem relating to the OC - same thing I was told when he was at AC. Kids will not play for Coaches they do not like. Now we can skate around any issue - but three places same report. One can make an argument...things have gone downhill since his arrival..your own post documents that.

I agree they have no business in the A-Conf. If it hadn't been for a pick-6 they would be winless vs B-Conference teams. 

54 minutes ago, EaglePride said:

Paying for a few stud FB players each year is very doable and should be no issue. If we can get Keeney to retire, and get Day to buy in, things can turn around. OLine drives everything regardless of offensive scheme in HS, Paying half or full tuition for a few stud OLineman would yield results fairly fast.

Heck no I ain't buying in.  You all should know The DayWalker's feeling on mercenaries; who has the deepest pockets.  Keep me out of this private mess thank you....  :P

Edited by DayWalker

36 minutes ago, BumpyJohnson said:

Let's not kid ourselves...that Curley team you reference was a team full of studs! They were the B-Conference bully and it showed. Some talent left and John Carroll smoked them in the championship the following year - then there is last season. They lost to Severn School, St. Mary's teams w/less talent. Then you didn't speak on what happened at JC when he was the head coach. No one is saying  they are not a solid staff. Talk on what was posted - they say the kids have a problem relating to the OC - same thing I was told when he was at AC. Kids will not play for Coaches they do not like. Now we can skate around any issue - but three places same report. One can make an argument...things have gone downhill since his arrival..your own post documents that.

I agree they have no business in the A-Conf. If it hadn't been for a pick-6 they would be winless vs B-Conference teams. 

"Kids will not play for Coaches they do not like", LOL, Do you think players liked Vince Lombardi, Nick Saban or Bill B? LOL, I have talked to players who played for the latter two. Some maybe but most no. What they did is respect the heck out of them because they loved winning more than having a great interpersonal relationship with their coach.