Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DisaptdDon

Loyola Dons

341 posts in this topic

55 minutes ago, EaglePride said:

Paying for a few stud FB players each year is very doable and should be no issue. If we can get Keeney to retire, and get Day to buy in, things can turn around. OLine drives everything regardless of offensive scheme in HS, Paying half or full tuition for a few stud OLineman would yield results fairly fast. Most of Abbotts winning teams had monster OLineman. LB has a lot to offer outside of football, if you can get kids on campus for a tour, they will be very impressed. Its sad that little Johnny Football's parents get blinded by the prospects of playing at the next level when only 2% actually do. I can't think of many other schools that can match the total package/experience that LB offers.That said, nothing changes as long as Keeney is strolling the halls with his glasses on the tip of his nose.

There won't be any changes until the peasants charge the Bastille with pitchforks: Day truly doesn't care or has a directive not to act because if he did, this situation would have been fixed a long time ago. As I said before, if 10-20 full pay students transferred out mid year (it won't as they play volleyball and soccer) then you would see action from the Board. A death of a thousand cuts doesn't even move the needle. For better or worse, Loyola (vis Gonzaga in DC) is now a Catholic/Jesuit light version of St. Paul's School for Boys demographically and culturally. 

Edited by mop

MOP, Curley didn't lose to St. Mary's last year, they beat them.  They did lose to Severn, I believe it was their first time since 2002.  You the know the saying, "even a blind horse finds water!  The OC at Loyola did a good job at Curley and was liked by the players and the coaches.  He would still be there if Murphy stayed.  The Loyola OC was forced out of John Carroll by the old AD because he had a business relationship with JC Coach - Rawlings.  Plus, Rawlings has cash and the Loyola OC is just a teacher.  Where do you think the turf field and score board came from at JC????  The Loyola OC took JC to the championship game and should have beaten a very good St Paul's game in 2012. 

Also, Loyola would not have beaten Pallotti last year.  Loyola had 26 seniors and probably had their best team in 8-10 years.  They still lost every game in the A conference and would not have beaten Pallotti who had several D1 players.  Loyola was beat up after the first four games last year with injuries and that was playing mostly B conference schools in the first half of their schedule.

As far as Loyola, if its about the B conference, then go Independent and prepare your season for the Turkey Bowl.  The Turkey Bowl is regarded by both Calvert Hall and Loyola alumni to be way more significant and important then winning a conference title.  Its probably bigger then the conference title based on where the game is played, tv and media focus.  Let Loyola play a schedule they can handle and actually go into the Turkey Bowl healthy and with some player confidence.  Kids and parents now a days want to play on winning teams.  Who cares if Loyola is in the A conference. Play a schedule you can handle and be successful with, this will help with the recruitment of players and place your emphasis on winning the Turkey Bowl and forget about playing St. Francis and others. 

How would this schedule be bad for Loyola as an independent? Curley, JC, Boys Latin, Georgetown Prep, Mount St. Joe, Spalding, Ryken, St. Marys, Bishop O'Connell and Calvert Hall?  Just an idea, but I believe all these schools would play Loyola as an Independent..

41 minutes ago, Campy19 said:

MOP, Curley didn't lose to St. Mary's last year, they beat them.  They did lose to Severn, I believe it was their first time since 2002.  You the know the saying, "even a blind horse finds water!  The OC at Loyola did a good job at Curley and was liked by the players and the coaches.  He would still be there if Murphy stayed.  The Loyola OC was forced out of John Carroll by the old AD because he had a business relationship with JC Coach - Rawlings.  Plus, Rawlings has cash and the Loyola OC is just a teacher.  Where do you think the turf field and score board came from at JC????  The Loyola OC took JC to the championship game and should have beaten a very good St Paul's game in 2012. 

Also, Loyola would not have beaten Pallotti last year.  Loyola had 26 seniors and probably had their best team in 8-10 years.  They still lost every game in the A conference and would not have beaten Pallotti who had several D1 players.  Loyola was beat up after the first four games last year with injuries and that was playing mostly B conference schools in the first half of their schedule.

As far as Loyola, if its about the B conference, then go Independent and prepare your season for the Turkey Bowl.  The Turkey Bowl is regarded by both Calvert Hall and Loyola alumni to be way more significant and important then winning a conference title.  Its probably bigger then the conference title based on where the game is played, tv and media focus.  Let Loyola play a schedule they can handle and actually go into the Turkey Bowl healthy and with some player confidence.  Kids and parents now a days want to play on winning teams.  Who cares if Loyola is in the A conference. Play a schedule you can handle and be successful with, this will help with the recruitment of players and place your emphasis on winning the Turkey Bowl and forget about playing St. Francis and others. 

How would this schedule be bad for Loyola as an independent? Curley, JC, Boys Latin, Georgetown Prep, Mount St. Joe, Spalding, Ryken, St. Marys, Bishop O'Connell and Calvert Hall?  Just an idea, but I believe all these schools would play Loyola as an Independent..

The only school that should be going independent is St. Frances, and they can play a national schedule with their big $$ players. Don't let the door hit ya on the way out! The MIAA league needs a serious overall, the conferences should be looked at closely and maybe expanded or intermixed.  The past few years, aside from a maybe 2 or 3 A conference teams, there hasn't been a huge disparity between A conference vs B conference competition in football. Intermixing the league a little more creatively would be more enjoyable to watch rather than what it has been in the past with maybe two or three teams with all of the talent in the world playing competitive games against each other and blowing out everybody else. Expand the conferences and also create more regulations on recruiting and transfer rules--or at least start enforcing the current rules. Also create a playoff, and don't let Loyola and CHC sabotage the system because of Turkey Day. 

As for the Loyola stuff--new coach this year, and from what I hear, rumor mill has been saying over the summer that the AD is retiring after this year. If the dons can't turn it around in the next few years, then they only have themselves to blame because they can no longer blame the old guard for all of their problems anymore. 

Edited by qwerty1234

2 hours ago, mop said:

"Kids will not play for Coaches they do not like", LOL, Do you think players liked Vince Lombardi, Nick Saban or Bill B? LOL, I have talked to players who played for the latter two. Some maybe but most no. What they did is respect the heck out of them because they loved winning more than having a great interpersonal relationship with their coach. 

Nope but I bet the players "Respect" Lombardi, Saban and Bill B. Your also comparing players 18 and over. We talking players 18 and younger...well maybe 19 and under at Loyola..j/s. I'm an outsider looking in an only going off what I have been told. I witnessed a case of child abuse last weekend when he Don's came to Severn, MD. They ought to be thankful Spalding took the foot off the gas...they may not be so lucky when they play SFA. Time will tell...

Edited by BumpyJohnson

1 hour ago, BumpyJohnson said:

Nope but I bet the players "Respect" Lombardi, Saban and Bill B. Your also comparing players 18 and over. We talking players 18 and younger...well maybe 19 and under at Loyola..j/s. I'm an outsider looking in an only going off what I have been told. I witnessed a case of child abuse last weekend when he Don's came to Severn, MD. They ought to be thankful Spalding took the foot off the gas...they may not be so lucky when they play SFA. Time will tell...

Boys play to win and for their teammates generally not their HC. Rarely does a HC have that level of leadership especially at high school. I've seen a couple at the rec and high school level and most were successful professionals or managers who led companies or groups. Many of these HCs had military backgrounds and/or were well developed/trained as leaders. Strong experienced leadership, a feasible plan and some runway are the ingredients for success. 

Yesterday's game unfortunately speaks for itself.  It was not fun to watch nor was it fun for the players. The solutions are known and decisions need to be made by the administration regarding the future direction of the program.  Was looking forward to the 100th Turkey Bowl but not unless there are positive changes.

59 minutes ago, DisaptdDon said:

Yesterday's game unfortunately speaks for itself.  It was not fun to watch nor was it fun for the players. The solutions are known and decisions need to be made by the administration regarding the future direction of the program.  Was looking forward to the 100th Turkey Bowl but not unless there are positive changes.

It looks like it is going to be a few years before Loyola has a chance to win in the Turkey Bowl.

8 hours ago, DisaptdDon said:

Agreed, but if the same cast of characters are making the decisions, what makes you think things will improve? Look at the School's website. Everything is volleyball and robotics with little to no mention of football, despite the institional importance of the CHC rivalry. This is a larger leadership problem. 

Watched the SFA tape and verified that part of LB continuing problem is poor fundamentals - blocking, tackling, play calling and even some stances are incorrect.  Also have not seen any in season or in game coaching adjustments.  The kids may be overmatched talent wise but need to be taught/learn the basics  to more effectively compete at any level A or B.  Understand the logic behind using the triple option but if it is not working or you do not have the players to run it, you need to modify your approach until you do.  Joe Brunes teams did not always have the best players but they always were sound fundamentally and therefore, competitive.

25 minutes ago, DisaptdDon said:

Watched the SFA tape and verified that part of LB continuing problem is poor fundamentals - blocking, tackling, play calling and even some stances are incorrect.  Also have not seen any in season or in game coaching adjustments.  The kids may be overmatched talent wise but need to be taught/learn the basics  to more effectively compete at any level A or B.  Understand the logic behind using the triple option but if it is not working or you do not have the players to run it, you need to modify your approach until you do.  Joe Brunes teams did not always have the best players but they always were sound fundamentally and therefore, competitive.

I agree with you some what, but I also believe the biggest problem with this year's team is they lack toughness.  They were over matched against SFA last year as well but one thing the seniors from last year did not lack was toughness.  Looked to me like a lot of kids were beaten before the game started.  A lot of standing around and acting like they wanted to block or tackle someone. You know the old saying you can lead a horse to water. Same thing with players, you can teach them the proper stance but they have to execute 

2 hours ago, jbmad said:

I agree with you some what, but I also believe the biggest problem with this year's team is they lack toughness.  They were over matched against SFA last year as well but one thing the seniors from last year did not lack was toughness.  Looked to me like a lot of kids were beaten before the game started.  A lot of standing around and acting like they wanted to block or tackle someone. You know the old saying you can lead a horse to water. Same thing with players, you can teach them the proper stance but they have to execute 

LB has passed on a ton of tough 2 and 3 sport athletes in their effort to be the dominant school in the Olympic sports. They've succeeded. Rather than spreading  3-4 scholarships among 6-8 three sport athletes per year, the School's administrators have put their heads in the sand and whined about their lot in life. Frankly if marketed correctly, they wouldn't even need to compromise their academic standards. This is about vision, leadership and execution not money. When you have 6-8 tough kids per class, you have a foundation you can build on. A house built on sand will not stand. 

14 minutes ago, mop said:

LB has passed on a ton of tough 2 and 3 sport athletes in their effort to be the dominant school in the Olympic sports. They've succeeded. Rather than spreading  3-4 scholarships among 6-8 three sport athletes per year, the School's administrators have put their heads in the sand and whined about their lot in life. Frankly if marketed correctly, they wouldn't even need to compromise their academic standards. This is about vision, leadership and execution not money. When you have 6-8 tough kids per class, you have a foundation you can build on. A house built on sand will not stand. 

Agreed , things need to change or they will lose even more kids from the school and program 

Expect MSJ to be ready to play after loss to CH.  it will be interesting to see if the coaches modify their offensive and defensive schemes and can motivate their players to compete.   Agree last years team played tough, did not give up and was hurt by injuries.  Hope to see improvement this week.

Posted (edited)

Disappointed Don, you are living in the past. Joe Brunes team would have gotten beat by 60 as well vs. STF. Coach Brunes was encouraged to leave/ fired because the landscape of the A conference was starting to change with recruiting and money his final years. Look at his record the last few years, they were bad!  Also, the league is way better now then it was 15 years ago.  The money, recruiting, etc.... has increased 1000%!  When they brought Abbott in they gave him the resources to compete. When they started to take those resources away, Loyola struggled and  Abbott resigned/asked to leave.

I watched the Loyola  vs STF game and it was men/all star team playing against an average high school football team. In my opinion, Loyola looked organized and well coached, however, they don't have the athletes to be on the field with STF or any other team in the A conference. They are a middle of the road B Conference football team.   They should move down to the B and allow the boys to play at a level that they can compete in.  

Edited by Campy19

Campy you are absolutely right about the current state of affairs in the MIAA A conference. I would suggest that the better alternative is to remove SFA from the league. Either way you slice it 6 programs is really not enough to have a league. maybe if everyone plays a home and away? 

Agreed STF should actually go independent. They are not really challenging themselves save McD by staying in the MIAA. No other MIAA school will drop $300k a year to buy a team of kids from all over just to win FB games. Nor will they renovate townhomes for use as dormitories and accept kids regardless of GPA and their willingness to pay tuition. Bottom line is Biff is coaching a team of all star studs (real easy to coach and win games in the MIAA with that kind of talent). What would be impressive is if they played an all independent, national schedule and continued to dominate. Let Biff's wife pay for 50 kids and coaches to travel all over the US, that would be impressive.  

5 minutes ago, EaglePride said:

Agreed STF should actually go independent. They are not really challenging themselves save McD by staying in the MIAA. No other MIAA school will drop $300k a year to buy a team of kids from all over just to win FB games. Nor will they renovate townhomes for use as dormitories and accept kids regardless of GPA and their willingness to pay tuition. Bottom line is Biff is coaching a team of all star studs (real easy to coach and win games in the MIAA with that kind of talent). What would be impressive is if they played an all independent, national schedule and continued to dominate. Let Biff's wife pay for 50 kids and coaches to travel all over the US, that would be impressive.  

Stop this, McD is doing absolutely everything you wrote about SFA! Everything! They have dorms, they are dropping probably more than what SFA is dropping in cash, because of difference in tuition, bringing in kids not from the area, and accepting kids regardless of GPA(and age).  SFA is just doing it better than them, and McD ain’t challenging anything! 

Come on no where near the same thing, McD did what they are doing to compete with Gilman/Poggi you know this. McD has forms on campus for students whether it be for academics or athletics, not townhomes renovated in a really bad neighborhood near the jail. And who is keeping an eye on these kids living in these townhomes.  Let's not give McD a pass because yes they have bent the rules but as you well know for Poggi there are no rules.

Posted (edited)

26 minutes ago, EaglePride said:

Just because someone came up with the arbitrary number of $300K doesn’t mean you should believe it.  With SFA’s tuition of $8900 and a sliding scale for student fees, the $300K would mean that at least 30 or so players on SFA’s roster are from out of state.  That’s a ludicrous number and far from provable.  I’d kick Gilman & McDonogh out of the league for escalating the “arms” race in the 1st place.  

Edited by TheGuru

Just now, jbmad said:

Come on no where near the same thing, McD did what they are doing to compete with Gilman/Poggi you know this. McD has forms on campus for students whether it be for academics or athletics, not townhomes renovated in a really bad neighborhood near the jail. And who is keeping an eye on these kids living in these townhomes.  Let's not give McD a pass because yes they have bent the rules but as you well know for Poggi there are no rules.

This is just you picking out who to have an isssue with. McD is doing the exact same thing. Kids living in a townhouse in a bad neighborhood is their parents issue, shouldn’t be anybody else’s. And it’s a private school, they can have kids living there if they chose, this isn't breaking a rule. SFA coaches have better relationships, and are better at getting kids.

What McD is doing to their school’s academic reputation, is much worst than what SFA is doing. I have a problem with SFA taking so many spots from area kids, but if the ultimate goal is to become a part of the Under Armour project in Port Covington, this won’t matter. 

JBMad, I’ve already told you tthat SFA reportedly has chaperones in those houses.  And they are renovated rowhomes.  Townhouses.  That’s a joke.

Nah I said they are doing the same thing, and they are definitely lowering their academic standards to get players in. But it looks like Gilman going to jump back in the game if the bball player thing is true. Reclass in high school. So if SFA does get involved with the UA project that only means more money more players and a league that will eventually be done. Parents kids and coaches at the other schools will eventually get tired and schools will have to take a stand

The MIAA should take a stand with all 3 programs and not just SFA.  CHC, MSJ, Spalding, Loyola, Curley, John Carroll, Pallotti, Ryken & McNamara would make a good league.  Let Gilman, McDonogh, DeMatha & Good Counsel play a each other and other national programs to get their rocks off.

14 minutes ago, jbmad said:

Nah I said they are doing the same thing, and they are definitely lowering their academic standards to get players in. But it looks like Gilman going to jump back in the game if the bball player thing is true. Reclass in high school. So if SFA does get involved with the UA project that only means more money more players and a league that will eventually be done. Parents kids and coaches at the other schools will eventually get tired and schools will have to take a stand

This is something I agree with. I’ve always said, the only way that SFA will ever go National, is if they had a big backer behind them. Getting in bed with Under a Armour would do this. They can’t go national without it, they would fold fast. 

I think Gilman is definitely getting back in the game, with the new basketball coach now running who gets into the school, things will be A LOT different. I’m also hearing some big names who have applied for the coaching job! Stay tuned.... 

5 minutes ago, TheGuru said:

The MIAA should take a stand with all 3 programs and not just SFA.  CHC, MSJ, Spalding, Loyola, Curley, John Carroll, Pallotti, Ryken & McNamara would make a good league.  Let Gilman, McDonogh, DeMatha & Good Counsel play a each other and other national programs to get their rocks off.

You can add SJC in that group