Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
volperdinger

Latest Ballistic Missile Test by North Korea

76 posts in this topic

28 minutes ago, dogstarman said:

Really? You are saying with a straight face that when Trump said an "Armada is on the way" it wasn't an empty threat? I mean it wasn't an Armada, it was an aircraft carrier and, oh yeah, much to the surprise of the ship's captain it wasn't even heading to NK (https://www.newyorker.com/news/amy-davidson/donald-trump-north-korea-and-the-case-of-the-phantom-armada). If the context were different one could make a case that that was figurative language... but not here. He just riffed like a real estate guy in a boiler room operation. Except it wasn't a boiler room and it wasn't a student of Trump U he was trying to rip off, it was Xi Jinping. So embarrassing to have the leader of the Free world so utterly outclassed.

As for Afghanistan and Iraq, sorry to break it to you but we are still facing significant problems there THIRTEEN YEARS after Dubya gave a speech in front of a banner declaring "Mission Accomplished". That's a bit tougher than "wet toilet paper" , I think.

We have a pretty constant Naval presence in the area.  Are you complaining that we should increase that?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, jdsample said:

We have a pretty constant Naval presence in the area.  Are you complaining that we should increase that?  

I'd venture a guess there's at least a couple boomers lurking nearby too.

Edited by ivanbalt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ivanbalt said:

I'd venture a guess there's at least a couple boomers lurking nearby too.

Of course they could be in the Atlantic and still be in range.  LOL.  But I'll bet the couple of Ohio Class boomers they converted to Tomahawks would be ready.  I forget, 16 missile tubes, each with half a dozen Tomahawks?  I heard that the attack on Syria was one boat.  Unload that cargo and the diving officer is going to be busy trying not to let the ship bob to the surface like a cork.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, dogstarman said:

Really? You are saying with a straight face that when Trump said an "Armada is on the way" it wasn't an empty threat? I mean it wasn't an Armada, it was an aircraft carrier and, oh yeah, much to the surprise of the ship's captain it wasn't even heading to NK (https://www.newyorker.com/news/amy-davidson/donald-trump-north-korea-and-the-case-of-the-phantom-armada). If the context were different one could make a case that that was figurative language... but not here. He just riffed like a real estate guy in a boiler room operation. Except it wasn't a boiler room and it wasn't a student of Trump U he was trying to rip off, it was Xi Jinping. So embarrassing to have the leader of the Free world so utterly outclassed.

As for Afghanistan and Iraq, sorry to break it to you but we are still facing significant problems there THIRTEEN YEARS after Dubya gave a speech in front of a banner declaring "Mission Accomplished". That's a bit tougher than "wet toilet paper" , I think.

I was going to remark on that inexactitude also but decided against, as I have already opined enough about NK's nuclear intentions on the multitude of previous 'Eek - he's fired off another one' threads. If anyone's interested, I haven't changed that opinion.

Edited by WKDWZD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mcorioles said:

Thanks Clinton!

Clinton was on track to a diplomatic understanding with NK that would have enabled them to be more of a global participant than a freakish weird state concerned with day to day survival of its regime. Sadly, Dubya scuttled all that in favor of a pointless "get tough" policy that lead to nowhere.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, dogstarman said:

Clinton was on track to a diplomatic understanding with NK that would have enabled them to be more of a global participant than a freakish weird state concerned with day to day survival of its regime. Sadly, Dubya scuttled all that in favor of a pointless "get tough" policy that lead to nowhere.

Yeah because they didn't have the intention all along to acquire nukes,only when GW was elected.

Clinton paved the way much like Obama just did,.......but we know that will be the fault of whoever is Prez when it happens and you and I know it will.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, dogstarman said:

Clinton was on track to a diplomatic understanding with NK that would have enabled them to be more of a global participant than a freakish weird state concerned with day to day survival of its regime. Sadly, Dubya scuttled all that in favor of a pointless "get tough" policy that lead to nowhere.

And so was every President since Truman. And see where we are.

We have trying to appease, argue with, discuss, conjole, sanction etc etc etc. for decades now. And all we get is the finger from NK.

I have had many dogs and cats and other various animals in my life time. I have learned that some you can 'work with' and they get it. Others all the understand is the rolled up newspaper....and generally they GET IT....or they are gone.

Time for the rolled up paper with NK.....and go from there. iMHO

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, dogstarman said:

Clinton was on track to a diplomatic understanding with NK that would have enabled them to be more of a global participant than a freakish weird state concerned with day to day survival of its regime. Sadly, Dubya scuttled all that in favor of a pointless "get tough" policy that lead to nowhere.

The Kim regime has made political brinksmanship an art and no world organization, sanction, treaty or government (including the US, PRC and or Soviet/post Soviet Russia) has been able to control them.. North Korea is a rogue country, a human rights tragedy that has deserves no place or standing in the civilized world.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Calamari said:

Huh, and here just a few weeks ago you folks were dancing a jig and gloating your hero Trump had the problem licked.

Have you ever posted anything that wasn't hyper partisan?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Guido2 said:

And so was every President since Truman. And see where we are.

We have trying to appease, argue with, discuss, conjole, sanction etc etc etc. for decades now. And all we get is the finger from NK.

I have had many dogs and cats and other various animals in my life time. I have learned that some you can 'work with' and they get it. Others all the understand is the rolled up newspaper....and generally they GET IT....or they are gone.

Time for the rolled up paper with NK.....and go from there. iMHO

IMHO you'd be far better employed in worrying about your corner of the globe and let NK worry about theirs. I really don't think that they give a shyte about your rolled up newspaper and quite honestly, why should they?

Edited by WKDWZD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, jdsample said:

I don't think anyone believes the threats are empty.  Yes, it is a last resort, but Libya gave up nukes on the same threat.  The world saw the US blow through Afghanistan and Iraq in succession like a bullet through a wet sheet of charmin'.  Kim knows that crossing the line will get him the same fate.  The only ace he holds is the ability to do real damage to Seoul before his regime gets rolled up and tossed in the dustbin of history.  

Umm, two problems with your argument. Libya gave up a program that didn't have the weapons yet. That is a lesson NK learned to great effect. 

If you think either Afghanistan or Iraq were cakewalks, well, let's just say there are many a widow and widower that would disagree with you. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Guido2 said:

And so was every President since Truman. And see where we are.

We have trying to appease, argue with, discuss, conjole, sanction etc etc etc. for decades now. And all we get is the finger from NK.

I have had many dogs and cats and other various animals in my life time. I have learned that some you can 'work with' and they get it. Others all the understand is the rolled up newspaper....and generally they GET IT....or they are gone.

Time for the rolled up paper with NK.....and go from there. iMHO

So when you smack your dog do a million people die?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Rael said:

So when you smack your dog do a million people die?

Millions have already died under the regime, through war, assassinations, brutality, slavery, starvation, human experimentation, and torture and will continue to do so until the world community steps up to the plate.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, blowboatbethesda said:

Millions have already died under the regime, through war, assassinations, brutality, slavery, starvation, human experimentation, and torture and will continue to do so until the world community steps up to the plate.  

So you, sitting behind your computer, feel we in the U.S. should be the ones to choose that a million South Koreans and Japanese (not to mention possibly 10's of thousands of Americans) should die to avenge the deaths of North Koreans at the hand of North Korea? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Rael said:

So you, sitting behind your computer, feel we in the U.S. should be the ones to choose that a million South Koreans and Japanese (not to mention possibly 10's of thousands of Americans) should die to avenge the deaths of North Koreans at the hand of North Korea? 

Please reread my post. What part of "world community" do you NOT understand? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Rael said:

Umm, two problems with your argument. Libya gave up a program that didn't have the weapons yet. That is a lesson NK learned to great effect. 

If you think either Afghanistan or Iraq were cakewalks, well, let's just say there are many a widow and widower that would disagree with you. 

1. Valid point, although they better be ready to deploy them.  Not sure that has occurred.  

2.  Yeah, it was in military terms a cakewalk to the point the Taliban had taken to caves and for Saddam to hide in a hole in someone's sandbox.  Not to minimize any casualty, but neither of these wars could match single battles of Normandy or Okinawa.  The subsequent insurgency was far worse than the full might of Saddam's army.  Kim will find little solace in the hopes that the unarmed civilians will mount a similar insurgency after the military has been rolled.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, jdsample said:

 Kim will find little solace in the hopes that the unarmed civilians will mount a similar insurgency after the military has been rolled.  

Not sure why you say that. The population has been getting full propaganda blasts full time for 50 years. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, blowboatbethesda said:

Please reread my post. What part of "world community" do you NOT understand? 

And what would the world community do? The only answer short of military action that might have an effect is extreme economic pain for China. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rael said:

Not sure why you say that. The population has been getting full propaganda blasts full time for 50 years. 

Ignorance is blind.

Quote

The media of North Korea is amongst the most strictly controlled in the world. The constitution nominally provides for freedom of speech and the press. However, the government prohibits the exercise of these rights in practice, unless it is in praise of the country and its government and leader. The government not only tightly controls all information coming in and out of the country, but seeks to mold information at its source. A typical example of this was the death of Kim Jong-il, news of which was not divulged until two days after it occurred. Kim Jong-un, who replaced his father as leader, has given every indication he will largely follow in his father's footsteps. However, new technologies are being made more freely available in the country. State-run media outlets are setting up websites, while mobile phone ownership in the country has escalated rapidly. By early 2012 there were more than a million mobile phone owners in North Korea.[1]

Reporters Without Borders has consistently ranked North Korea at or near the bottom of its yearly Press Freedom Index since it was first issued in 2002. In its 2013–14 report, RWB classified North Korea's media environment as 178th out of 179 countries in the rankings, only above that of Eritrea.[2][3]

The state news agency, the Korean Central News Agency, provides the only source of information for all media outlets in North Korea.[4]

Quote

North Korea jams South Korean state broadcasts and foreign shortwave broadcast services which it believes to be against the North Korean regime. These include the Korean language service of the Voice of America, Free North Korea Radio (which originates from US transmitters in Guam), Radio Free Asia, and several other services and broadcasts.

Try again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, blowboatbethesda said:

Ignorance is blind.

Try again.

Why try again? What you quoted supports my position. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Rael said:

So you, sitting behind your computer, feel we in the U.S. should be the ones to choose that a million South Koreans and Japanese (not to mention possibly 10's of thousands of Americans) should die to avenge the deaths of North Koreans at the hand of North Korea? 

To be blunt....I give a rats butt about the NK who died at the hands of the NK. That is their issue.

I do care that the retarded leader in fit of some sort lobs a missile at Japan....and this time it isn't a fly over. Or just as bad...they have a misfire and it lands in Tokyo. If you don't see that the NK is flipping the bird at the world by these latest launches....well....smh.

The world and the US have been giving these jerks a free lunch for to long....NK now thinks they can own the restaurant.

So bottom line.....like it or not.... it is getting to the point of the old Fram Oil filters ads. ' You can pay me now...or you can pay me later'.

And like the ad.....an oil filter is cheap (a tactical strike) vs your engine blowing up (trying to take out a first class nut case with ICBMs and nukes). They maybe have 4 at this point nukes.....can they reach the US? Sorry I don't want to wait to find out.

Ohhh and losing 10000 Americans? Not if you do it right the first time.

 

Edited by Guido2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rael said:

Not sure why you say that. The population has been getting full propaganda blasts full time for 50 years. 

Not from the outside world, they haven't.

6 minutes ago, Rael said:

Why try again? What you quoted supports my position. 

With the 4th largest military in the world, the North Korean people don't have a shot in hell of overthrowing the country. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is more war on the Korean peninsula inevitable?

If li'l Kim stays the course, I see nothing but.

SOMEONE, somewhere, sometime, is going to have to take out the NK leadership by force.

...conventional, special, nuclear,... probably all three.

What will it take?  A nuked Japan (again)?  Guam?  Alaska?

Then what?

Anyone want to take a shot at that one?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Rael said:

Not sure why you say that. The population has been getting full propaganda blasts full time for 50 years. 

That is true.  But the Japanese people in 1945 had not ever seen an open society, either and had a history of suicide cults.  They did not as a people engage in terrorism after their defeat.  They were able to accept it.  I suspect that Korean culture is closer to Japanese culture than to radical Islam.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0