Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
OriginalColtsFan

Perriman

188 posts in this topic

7 targets. 1 catch, for 5 yards.

Maclin:

9 targets, 6 catches for 87 yards and 2 TDs.

It's still early, but Perriman has absolutely dropped more passes than he's caught. That's not an exaggeration. It's a fact. Passes that hit him right in the hands that he dropped. (And while those drops may or may not show up in some statistical "drop" count, look at the film. He dropped them.) And that's why he not only isn't remotely a #1 or #2 receiver, he isn't really an NFL receiver at all. Since the definition of a "receiver" is, you know, to CATCH THE BALL. This guy would be considered a bust even if he'd only been an UDFA. But as a first pick? LOL. Not even on ANY level of reality.

QBs need to know that when they throw the ball to a receiver he's going to catch the ball. It's the fundamental prerequisite to developing trust. Perriman does not belong on the field. But since he was a #1 draft pick, they'll stick with him, to the detriment of the team. And while it's still a little early for those stats to have real validity because the sample size is too small, it's 100% consistent with what the scouts said about Perriman before he was (unfortunately) drafted by the Ravens -- that he drops way too many easy passes right in his hands, but does make some spectacular circus catches. The Ravens offense simply cannot afford to keep running Perriman out there. This offense is thin, and it needs everyone to contribute. Perriman does not fit the bill. He is Yamon Figurs, v.2, only Figurs wasn't a 1st round bust.

And while I absolutely abhor injury smack, the sad reality is that Perriman was actually more helpful to the team when he was on IR than now when he's on the field. He is a detriment. He kills drives. He keeps the team from being able to get into FG range. He is a negative.

Edited by OriginalColtsFan

I have to agree. So far, Perriman is a complete bust. Not only can he not stay healthy, he can't catch!

2 hours ago, Rob said:

I have to agree. So far, Perriman is a complete bust. Not only can he not stay healthy, he can't catch!

Without a doubt. And Wallace has been lukewarm at best as far as a real impact player. Fortunately, Maclin came on the scene and raised the bar significantly. It was interesting to hear Lofton's commentary during the game, especially when the Ravens were in the red zone. He discussed the difference between using Watson and Maclin in the red zone as targets. He might have even discussed Perriman, I'm not sure. But when it came to Watson, who would certainly seem to be a logical choice, he said that Watson doesn't get off the LOS fast enough; Maclin does. And that's the difference. Maclin is probably the best all around threat receiver the Ravens have ever had. And it makes Perriman's dysfunctional performances that much more obvious, and it makes Perriman that much more expendable.

This is the make-or-break year for Perriman. He's a first-round pick in year three of his contract, which means he could begin to sniff the bigger bucks in his fifth year if the club picks up his option. That decision, however, has to be made after this year. If Perriman doesn't start showing something, there's no way the Ravens exercise that option, and Perriman could be playing for his NFL life next season.

Perriman put up solid stats last year as the #3 receiver. He's still the #3 receiver. You can't expect him to put up 1st round numbers when he's the #3 receiver.

7 hours ago, bmore_ken said:

Perriman put up solid stats last year as the #3 receiver. He's still the #3 receiver. You can't expect him to put up 1st round numbers when he's the #3 receiver.

A totally absurd argument. The reason he puts up "#3 stats" is because HE SUCKS. He would be higher in the depth chart IF HE WERE ANY GOOD. He's NOT any good. And THAT'S why he's only able to put up "#3 stats. (33 receptions, 3 TDs in 2016. WOW. LOOK MOM...I GOT A C- in all my subjects. I PASSED!!! No receiver left behind.). A #1 draft pick that puts up "solid stats as a #3 receiver" is a BUST. A #1 draft pick should put up better than #3 stats by his third year in the league. He literally has dropped more passes than he has caught this year. He has regressed, not progressed. This year, Perriman is a liability at #3, #4, #5. Period.

Compare Perriman's stats to Martavis Bryant's (a FOURTH round pick) stats so far this year:

5 receptions/10 targets, 1 TD, 105 yards. That's on a team with Antonio Brown.

Get real, Ken. Your excuses for Perriman have gotten old. "He missed his first season so his second year is really like his first year". He puts up "solid #3 stats", Bull. He's a bust. Get used to it. In ONE QUARTER, it was clear that Woodhead was a play maker. You know why? BECAUSE HE'S GOOD. In two games with Joe, Maclin has emerged as a play maker. You know why? BECAUSE HE'S GOOD. In two games Watson has emerged as a go to TE. You know why? BECAUSE HE'S GOOD. In 3 years, Perriman is still dropping passes he should catch. You know why? BECAUSE HE'S NOT GOOD.

My guess is he'll get hurt at some point and then we won't even be having this discussion.  Very little chance he'll play 16 games.  In the meantime, I doubt Flacco will even bother with him, regardless of whether the play call is suppose to go his way.  Look for him to fixate on Watson now since he had a great game on Sunday and is always looking for that one, security blanket.  The thing about Perriman that's almost humorous is that he'll make these wild, acrobatic catches with 2 guys hanging on to him but can't catch balls that hit the numbers or his hands.  One thing's for sure- you can't teach someone to have good hands and this guy has always sucked in that department going back to his college days.  Having his kind of speed seduces scouts and GM's and makes them do very stupid things. 

53 minutes ago, jamesdean said:

My guess is he'll get hurt at some point and then we won't even be having this discussion.  Very little chance he'll play 16 games.  In the meantime, I doubt Flacco will even bother with him, regardless of whether the play call is suppose to go his way.  Look for him to fixate on Watson now since he had a great game on Sunday and is always looking for that one, security blanket.  The thing about Perriman that's almost humorous is that he'll make these wild, acrobatic catches with 2 guys hanging on to him but can't catch balls that hit the numbers or his hands.  One thing's for sure- you can't teach someone to have good hands and this guy has always sucked in that department going back to his college days.  Having his kind of speed seduces scouts and GM's and makes them do very stupid things. 

Listening to Lofton assess the Ravens receivers was very revealing. Just having raw speed is meaningless if you can't get off the LOS quickly. That's what Maclin is able to do. Wallace, not so much. And Perriman, not so much either. He has clearly regressed.

And can we please dispense with the "security blanket" crap already? ALL QBs NEED to have reliable receivers/TEs to succeed. It's got nothing to do with "security blankets". Is Gronk Brady's "security blanket"? Was Graham Brees's "security blanket"? Is Witten Prescott's (formerly Romo's) "security blanket"? Was John Mackey Unitas's "security blanket"? Was Clark Manning's "security blanket"? Is Gates Rivers' "security blanket"? Was Gonzalez Ryan's "security blanket"? The only reason Joe relies on one or two players is because those are the ONLY players Newsome has been able to put on the team! Other QBs have a complete arsenal at their disposal. Along with creative OCs, not the crap the Ravens have saddled Joe with. This false notion spun in the media that Joe needs a "security blanket" has been picked up and spread about like it's some kind of truth. Yet no other QB in the NFL gets labeled as such. On other teams, reliable receivers/TEs -- the ones you rely upon to get you first downs and TDs -- are called "GO TO receivers/TEs". On the Ravens, they're "security blankets". C'mon on, man.

His nickname should be Roberto Duran. 

"Hands of Stone"

1 hour ago, mlatoman said:

His nickname should be Roberto Duran. 

"Hands of Stone"

Ed Dickson, Part 2.

A draft bust can kill a team. Ereck Flowers drafted 9th is killing Eli and the Giants, the same year Perriman was drafted. . 

5 hours ago, jamesdean said:

He played 16 games last year. And he only dropped 5 passes.

Edited by bmore_ken

47 minutes ago, johnpolitics said:

A draft bust can kill a team. Ereck Flowers drafted 9th is killing Eli and the Giants, the same year Perriman was drafted. . 

Exactly.

(And speaking of the G-Men...WHAT'S UP WITH THEM?!!!)

8 minutes ago, bmore_ken said:

He played 16 games last year. And he only dropped 5 passes.

Try not to confuse them with facts ;)

Just now, alienrace said:

Ya know? Instead of just repeating crap you read somewhere, do some home work. This stuff isn't hard to find. 

10 minutes ago, alienrace said:

Facts? The FACTS ARE: He's caught ONE PASS this year. ONE. He's dropped at least THREE. RIGHT IN HIS HANDS. And killed drives in the process. THOSE are the FACTS. Try not to let the door hit you on the way out.

And even going back to last year. His "stats" for 16 games are PATHETIC for a NUMBER ONE DRAFT PICK. THOSE are ALSO facts. Where things get "hazy" is with KEN LOGIC, not facts. He tries to rationalize and twist the real facts with nonsensical logic like: "Well, he missed his entire first year, so his second year is actually his FIRST year, and his stats are not worse than other #3 receivers, since he's actually the #3 receiver on this team, so he's right in line with a #3 receiver". When you draft an NFL receiver with your first draft pick, having #3 receiver stats SUCK. Except in Ken's warped rationalized twisted sound bite world.

Dude. If you buy into that warped logic, and then you come here talking about FACTS, you're in worse shape than I already think you are.

36 minutes ago, bmore_ken said:

Ya know? Instead of just repeating crap you read somewhere, do some home work. This stuff isn't hard to find. 

Oh, the IRONY. YOU invent a ridiculous, false standard by which to judge a #1 draft pick wide receiver (i.e. His stats are on a par with other #3 wide receivers so he's not a bust, because his second year is only his first year because he missed his first year), you keep repeating that false standard, which has NOTHING to do with any facts, as if by repeating the false standard, it makes it true. Then you accuse others of doing what you yourself are doing. Dude...even for you, it doesn't get any more ironic than that. Get this through your thick head: A #1 draft pick wide receiver is NOT judged by NUMBER THREE WIDE RECEIVER STATS. No matter HOW OFTEN you repeat such nonsense. He's judged by NUMBER ONE WIDE RECEIVER STATS. And THIS year, he's not even a NUMBER FIVE receiver!

If this guy had been an UDFA, he'd be gone by now. (At least on any other NFL team.) But because he was such a high draft pick, he's still here. Crapping the bed. It has nothing to do with his performance; it has everything to do with his draft pick status. And while it's admittedly hard for NFL teams to admit they made a huge mistake, the Ravens should cut their losses with this bust and move on.

1 hour ago, alienrace said:

And BTW...look in your own "condescending mirror" sometime. If you have the guts.

17 minutes ago, OriginalColtsFan said:

And BTW...look in your own "condescending mirror" sometime. If you have the guts.

So, you can dish it out but cannot take it.  Got it.

Your posts come across as someone who is emotionally unhinged right now.  In all honesty, take a deep breath, have a beer, and make another observation.

18 minutes ago, alienrace said:

So, you can dish it out but cannot take it.  Got it.

Your posts come across as someone who is emotionally unhinged right now.  In all honesty, take a deep breath, have a beer, and make another observation.

LOL. When I make a mistake I'm the first one to own up to it. So once again, you're seeing yourself, not me. Take your own advice, and talk about something you might actually know something about. Whatever that might be.

1 hour ago, OriginalColtsFan said:

Exactly.

(And speaking of the G-Men...WHAT'S UP WITH THEM?!!!)

The Oline. Jerry Reese has done nothing over the last 2 years to fix the problem. McAdoo wants to run the West Coast offense with an Oline that can't protect Eli. 

9 minutes ago, OriginalColtsFan said:

LOL. When I make a mistake I'm the first one to own up to it. So once again, you're seeing yourself, not me. Take your own advice, and talk about something you might actually know something about. Whatever that might be.

:rolleyes:

2 minutes ago, johnpolitics said:

The Oline. Jerry Reese has done nothing over the last 2 years to fix the problem. McAdoo wants to run the West Coast offense with an Oline that can't protect Eli. 

Now you're waving a red flag in front of coach/Mr. Deltoid!! :D

(It's all about the O-line -- and D-line.)

But do you think the G-Men's D has looked good? If it were just the offense I'd say yeah, it's the O-line. But what about the defense?

(And I'm not ragging. I picked the G-Men to win the division.)

Perriman and Wallace will both be left out in the cold if they don't start making plays soon.  I notice Flacco finds the guy who is the most consistent and sticks with him.  I have a feeling that will be Maclin and Watson and hopefully neither will succumb to the Raven's injury curse...

One thing I didn't understand about drafting Perriman was that he had this dropped passes/ bad hands problem in college if I remember correctly. 

Naturally having good hands is simply not something you can teach and having bad hands is not something you can overcome so why draft the guy in the First Round??

It's like trying to groom a big, fast strong Quarterback to throw harder or farther or more precisely who simply doesn't have the arm for it or the natural abilities to hit the target consistently. Ain't gonna happen 

Edited by BayAreaBmore