Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
OriginalColtsFan

Perriman

177 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, BayAreaBmore said:

One thing I didn't understand about drafting Perriman was that he had this dropped passes/ bad hands problem in college if I remember correctly. 

Naturally having good hands is simply not something you can teach and having bad hands is not something you can overcome so why draft the guy in the First Round??

It's like trying to groom a Quarterback to throw harder or farther or more precisely who simply doesn't have the arm for it or the natural abilities.  

It was the same with Figurs. Every single scout noted that he had either 8" or 8.5" hands -- too small to consistently catch passes in the NFL. It played out exactly the way the scouts had noted, but clearly the Ravens didn't pay attention to something so obvious -- along with the fact that he, too, dropped way too many passes in college. They merely fell in love with his blazing speed. (Figurs still holds some combine record for speed, although it might be 2nd or 3rd fastest time.) He was a bust all the way around. But only a 3rd round bust. The simple fact of the matter is that Ozzie Newsome has a near 100% failure rate when it comes to drafting NFL wide receivers. Sometimes the simplest answers are the best. This is one of those cases.

1 hour ago, mikemor1 said:

Perriman and Wallace will both be left out in the cold if they don't start making plays soon.  I notice Flacco finds the guy who is the most consistent and sticks with him.  I have a feeling that will be Maclin and Watson and hopefully neither will succumb to the Raven's injury curse...

And that's how it should be. That's how QBs and receivers/TEs throughout the entire league develop trust, timing, rapport. To constantly have one receiver drop passes, kill drives, keep from moving the chains, etc., of course the QB is going to avoid that receiver. It's the way it should be. (Although the way it really should be is to not have that kind of player on the field to have to avoid in the first place. But it just doesn't work that way on the Ravens.)

Remember back when the Ravens had Dickson and Pitta? At first Dickson was ahead of Pitta, but even from the start it was believed that Pitta would eventually overtake Dickson, even though Dickson was faster. Pitta had better hands. And that is how it played out. But when Pitta got hurt, rather than replace Dickson, Newsome stuck with Dickson and it was a horrible year TE-wise. Clearly, this team just does not learn from its mistakes and move forward. Maclin is the best receiver the Ravens have ever had in terms of take it to the house speed and good hands AND the ability to not just run GO routes. But to have Perriman constantly gunking up the works with his drops is absurd. If he COULD elevate himself to a legitimate #2 or #1 receiver, he WOULD. But he can't. And now he's not even a #3 or #4 or #5. He just stinks. So add him to the list of crappy receivers that never panned out for the Ravens:

Travis Taylor, Tandon Doss, Devard Darling, Clarence Moore, David Reed, Mark Clayton, Yamon Figurs, Marcus Smith, Justin Harper, Demetrius Williams, LaQuan Williams, Deonte Thompson, Marlon Brown, ...

I mean...it's a veritable "Who's Who" list of arguably the worst group of wide receivers for one team in the history of the NFL. If a GM were to INTENTIONALLY set out to grab the worst possible receivers he'd be hard pressed to collect worse receivers than the above-mentioned group.

So for you "facts" people...subtracting Travis Taylor (15) and Mark Clayton (12), the rest of that group has had exactly 22 receiving TDs during their entire Ravens careers. That's 11 wide receivers drafted by Ozzie Newsome who, combined, have 22 TDs over a span of 10+ years. Antonio Brown HIMSELF has had 50 receiving TDs in 7 years. That's just ONE PLAYER, on the Raven's closest rival. And even adding in TT and MC, (and Perriman's 3 from last season) Brown has just 5 fewer TDs than the entire Ravens draft class over a 16 year span. That's a fact.

Edited by OriginalColtsFan

1 hour ago, OriginalColtsFan said:

Now you're waving a red flag in front of coach/Mr. Deltoid!! :D

(It's all about the O-line -- and D-line.)

But do you think the G-Men's D has looked good? If it were just the offense I'd say yeah, it's the O-line. But what about the defense?

(And I'm not ragging. I picked the G-Men to win the division.)

Defense is fine. Gave up only 17 pts vs. Lions (7 pts were scored on a punt return). If the offense doesn't get better the defense will be gassed by week 12. 

1 minute ago, johnpolitics said:

Defense is fine. Gave up only 17 pts vs. Lions (7 pts were scored on a punt return). If the offense doesn't get better the defense will be gassed by week 12. 

Fair enough. Thanks.

6 hours ago, mlatoman said:

His nickname should be Roberto Duran. 

"Hands of Stone"

Perriman only dropped 5 passes last season. 

2 hours ago, alienrace said:

So, you can dish it out but cannot take it.  Got it.

Your posts come across as someone who is emotionally unhinged right now.  In all honesty, take a deep breath, have a beer, and make another observation.

When I imagine him, I see a guy in his mom's basement pounding on his keyboard with a Big vein coming out of his forehead. :D

10 minutes ago, bmore_ken said:

Seemingly simple solutions for clearly simple-minded people.

1 hour ago, bmore_ken said:

Like Janet said, what have you done for me lately? :P

Perriman seems to have issues holding onto the ball this season, especially when he hears feet. 

I work in Philly. Told all of the Iggles fans don't expect much out of Torrey Smith. Had two passes Sunday he had hands on but didn't catch. Just like here. 

Wallace and Perriman have a combined output of 3 catches for 20 yards in 2 games.  That is absolutely horrible.  Too early and too small of a sample size to make a final judgement, but there are guys on other teams that had that kind of production in the first quarter of the first game.  It flys under the radar because the Raven's are 2-0, but eventually that kind of non-production will kill you.  Not sure what the problem is, whether it's lack of separation, drops, or QB.  But seriously, both of these guys are getting too much money to turn in 2 game statistics like that, especially against oppostion that isn't exactly top notch.  

13 minutes ago, cprenegade said:

Wallace and Perriman have a combined output of 3 catches for 20 yards in 2 games.  That is absolutely horrible.  Too early and too small of a sample size to make a final judgement, but there are guys on other teams that had that kind of production in the first quarter of the first game.  It flys under the radar because the Raven's are 2-0, but eventually that kind of non-production will kill you.  Not sure what the problem is, whether it's lack of separation, drops, or QB.  But seriously, both of these guys are getting too much money to turn in 2 game statistics like that, especially against oppostion that isn't exactly top notch.  

Thank you.

25 minutes ago, cprenegade said:

Perriman has only been targeted 7 times in 2 games. Wallace 4. How much production can they give you with those numbers. They don't throw to themselves.

Head Coach John Harbaugh said the Ravens want to get big-play threats Mike Wallace and Breshad Perriman more involved. At the same time, quarterback Joe Flacco said the offense must be patient when the defense is playing so well.

“I haven’t really messed with him yet,” Wallace said with a wide smile. “But this week, we need the rock. Let him know. You all tell Joe when you see him.”

Two of the Ravens’ chief big-play threats have been virtual non-factors in the receiving game thus far as the team has leaned on its stout, turnover-happy defense and a ground-and-pound rushing attack complemented by a short-to-intermediate passing game.

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/Playful-Mike-Wallace-Says-He-Needs-the-Rock-Baby/4f1a8cf7-7297-420d-be71-2a9205d5d482

But feel free to stick to the "they're not playing well" thing. :rolleyes:

Edited by bmore_ken

20 minutes ago, bmore_ken said:

Perriman has only been targeted 7 times in 2 games. Wallace 4. How much production can they give you with those numbers. They don't throw to themselves.

But feel free to stick to the "they're not playing well" thing. :rolleyes:

He's all yours, CPR. He's all yours.

6 hours ago, bmore_ken said:

He played 16 games last year. And he only dropped 5 passes.

But tell the whole story Ken....... his 50% catch percentage was among the worst in football. Only 10 players had worse caught % in the NFL.

5 minutes ago, Rob said:

But tell the whole story Ken....... his 50% catch percentage was among the worst in football. Only 10 players had worse caught % in the NFL.

That's because of his limited opportunities. Who's better? The all star outfielder hitting .270 with 500 ABs or the rookie batting .666 with 9 ABs? The reality is he only dropped 5 passes.

Edited by bmore_ken

1 minute ago, bmore_ken said:

That's because of his limited opportunities. Who's better? The all star outfielder hitting .270 with 500 ABs or the rookie batting .666 with 9 ABs? The reality is he only dropped 5 passes.

He only had 33 catches!

1 minute ago, Rob said:

He only had 33 catches!

I know I'm highly opinionated, but talking to Ken is really like talking to the wall. And his logic is so limited/warped that it makes the whole thing the Twilight Zone.

3 minutes ago, Rob said:

He only had 33 catches!

And?He was targeted 66 times. He caught 33.  He only dropped 5. What happened to the rest? Overthrows? Underthrows? Picks? I doubt stats are kept on those things, so what's your point?

A #1 receiver plays all 16 games, yet only catches 33 balls? Average of 2 catches per game? And 5 drops. 

6 minutes ago, Rob said:

A #1 receiver plays all 16 games, yet only catches 33 balls? Average of 2 catches per game? And 5 drops. 

LOL. But in KEN'S WORLD...that makes perfect sense. For a #1 draft pick. If I were Joe, I'd just go with Watson and Maclin, mix in Wallace once in a while, and Boyle and Madd Maxx (if he can stay healthy) and go with the running backs and be done with it. Woodhead was a legit play maker and he's gone. Maclin is a legit play maker, and so it Waston. Scale down, eliminate the error-prone Perriman, and hope for the best. Again, Lofton was very clear that Maclin was the only Raven receiver who beat his defender off the line. That's part of why he's so effective, plus he holds onto the ball. Just having track speed if you can't beat press coverage is of no use. Perriman has track speed but can't get open, then when he does he drops a lot of passes. It's a real catch 22. So just work around him.

Edited by OriginalColtsFan

8 hours ago, bmore_ken said:

He played 16 games last year. And he only dropped 5 passes.

So he played 16 games last year.  I'm talking about this year and how I highly doubt he'll stay healthy.  And his reputation for  having hands of stone go back to his college days, not just last week.  The Ravens were seduced by his speed, pure and simple and he's been pretty much a complete 1st round bust.  If they had picked him later in the draft or signed him as a free agent, I'd say "Ok, you can't expect that much from him so it is what it is."  Flacco will find a receiver or two(probably Watson after last week) and they will be his security blanket going forward.  In between, he'll target Maclin and Wallace mainly with Perriman getting a bone here or there.  The best thing he offers the team is a decoy running down the field. 

5 minutes ago, jamesdean said:

So he played 16 games last year.  I'm talking about this year and how I highly doubt he'll stay healthy.  

What do you base that on considering he played all last season? His stats last year don't scream bust. They scream decent wide receiver  put up decent numbers for being the 4th targeted receiver on the team.

Edited by bmore_ken

1 hour ago, OriginalColtsFan said:

LOL. But in KEN'S WORLD...that makes perfect sense. For a #1 draft pick. If I were Joe, I'd just go with Watson and Maclin, mix in Wallace once in a while, and Boyle and Madd Maxx (if he can stay healthy) and go with the running backs and be done with it. Woodhead was a legit play maker and he's gone. Maclin is a legit play maker, and so it Waston. Scale down, eliminate the error-prone Perriman, and hope for the best. Again, Lofton was very clear that Maclin was the only Raven receiver who beat his defender off the line. That's part of why he's so effective, plus he holds onto the ball. Just having track speed if you can't beat press coverage is of no use. Perriman has track speed but can't get open, then when he does he drops a lot of passes. It's a real catch 22. So just work around him.

To be honest, I don't even think about Perriman anymore.  Well, unless he drops a pass and kills a drive. But usually, he's not even on my mind.  The one I would love to see used more( if he could stay healthy) is Maxx because he's one of those receivers that can break tackles and get some solid YAC.  

1 hour ago, bmore_ken said:

What do you base that on considering he played all last season?

Mainly a gut feeling and because he's extremely fragile.  My guess is he'll get hurt in practice and will be missing for parts of the year.  Not that I'm wishing him to have an injury and it's a shame his speed can't be utilized but realistically, the only reason he's on the team is because he was a No.1 draft pick.  Nothing more, nothing less.

3 minutes ago, jamesdean said:

To be honest, I don't even think about Perriman anymore.  Well, unless he drops a pass and kills a drive. But usually, he's not even on my mind.  The one I would love to see used more( if he could stay healthy) is Maxx because he's one of those receivers that can break tackles and get some solid YAC.  

Except I just saw an article that stated Joe is committed to trying to work Perriman and Wallace more into the offense.

7 minutes ago, bmore_ken said:

What do you base that on considering he played all last season? His stats last year don't scream bust. They scream decent wide receiver  put up decent numbers for being the 4th targeted receiver on the team.

LOL. If they scream that to you then you better check out the voices in your head. The guy was a #1 draft pick, and the only thing that screams anything is that he's not worth it. If you're hearing something different, you need to get it checked. Seriously. You're making a total clown out of yourself with one of your classic "defend it to the death no matter how absurd it is" Ken/Vanesha diatribes.