Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
OriginalColtsFan

Perriman

188 posts in this topic

My impression is that the Ray Rice scandal did some kind of harm to the team's front office. It seems like they have struggled since then. It is certainly possible for this to be a coincidence, but I can't shake the feeling that there are some folks on the front office who liked and respected each other before it, and who do not now.

On 10/7/2017 at 9:50 AM, mikemor1 said:

So you think Perriman might play better on another team with a different QB?  Maybe, he may get his chance someday. Unless he catches on fire, I don't see them renewing him.  IDK, the Raven's didn't renew Torrey Smith, and he's been no great shakes elsewhere, and he was better than Perriman.

And then there are all these injuries.  What do you make of it? I don't know what to make of it. I just know it's the one sure thing going on with this team, for the past 3-4yrs now.  Like OCF said, they lose a player a game.... I'm baffled. Sometimes I also wonder if Flacco would be playing better if he was on another team?  They all seem to like each other, yet very little on the field chemistry, at least on the offense.  Baffling. 

I think all the receivers would put up bigger numbers on a different team but that has nothing to do with coaching. I just think it’s because of Flacco. I don’t think it has anything to do with chemistry. It has to do with Flacco making plays. He is very streaky. He looked good today so let’s hope this is the first game of a long hot streak.

As for the injuries, it’s just bad luck. Although I do think it is interesting that the Ravens lead the league in both steroid use and injuries. 

On 10/7/2017 at 1:32 PM, Evil Yoda said:

I don't agree the offensive line was "pretty good" before the injuries. There's Stanley and Yanda and I think one other draft pick, and a bunch of undrafted free agents. Occasionally one of those guys has a couple of good years. Or he's a guy (Burfict comes to mind) who has a ten cent head to go with his athletic gifts. But overall there is a reason they weren't drafted, and it's not because every single scouting department missed them. Now Yanda is gone and they're really bad. Joe is part of the problem because he's not a good leader; he wants a coach to tell him precisely what to do (he has said this), and when you need a QB to pick up an offense and carry it, he's not the man for that. He will have a serviceable NFL career for which he will be overpaid (all but a very few QBs are, it's the nature of that position), and then he will retire. He will never wear a gold jacket.

The defense concerns me far more. It's supposedly an upgraded unit, but I see some of the same problems I saw last year: ineffective pass rush, little to no ability to pressure quarterbacks, and mistakes in pass coverage (the second one probably contributing to the third). I think that's because Pees simply isn't innovative enough for the NFL and his schemes do not fool offenses.

For the most part, Harbs does a mediocre job selecting coordinators.

Ozzie routinely whiffs on receivers, to the point that they ought to give that job to DaCosta (unless - horrors - it's really him that's whiffing). It might even by time to throw Ozzie a nice dinner and give him a fancy gold watch. What concerns me is that DaCosta is said to be good, but how long will he wait for Ozzie to pull the pin?

The offensive line was going to consist of LT Ronnie Stanley, LG Alex Lewis, C Ryan Jensen, RG Marshall Yanda, and RT Austin Howard. That is a pretty good offensive line. Jensen is playing better than anybody expected but nobody here will want to admit that. Alex Lewis played very well last year and probably would have played better with a year of experience. A good offensive line in my opinion. Oh and Siracusa might have beat out Jensen to make the line even better

Perriman out of Wednesday's practice with a knee injury.

On 10/8/2017 at 10:45 PM, RavingManiac said:

As for the injuries, it’s just bad luck. Although I do think it is interesting that the Ravens lead the league in both steroid use and injuries. 

REALLY? The Ravens lead the league in steroid use? Wow. Did you make that up? Do you have any proof that the Ravens lead the league in steroid use? Provide a link/proof, or stop slandering the team with your lies.

On 10/8/2017 at 10:52 PM, RavingManiac said:

The offensive line was going to consist of LT Ronnie Stanley, LG Alex Lewis, C Ryan Jensen, RG Marshall Yanda, and RT Austin Howard. That is a pretty good offensive line. Jensen is playing better than anybody expected but nobody here will want to admit that. Alex Lewis played very well last year and probably would have played better with a year of experience. A good offensive line in my opinion. Oh and Siracusa might have beat out Jensen to make the line even better

Completely agree.  The notion that they haven't been addressing the line is rubbish, they've done it in the draft and in FA in recent years.  That would have been a very good line had they not been beseiged with injuries.  As it is, the depth they had has allowed them to get their feet back under them, which is fairly remarkable.  The Raiders were a really good test, given their pass rush.  Keeping Mack a non-factor was the most impressive thing they've done all year.  Maybe in two years. 

12 hours ago, OriginalColtsFan said:

Perriman out of Wednesday's practice with a knee injury.

In the words of Bill Parcells about Terry Glenn, "she's coming along". 

My suspicion is that steroids were giving men all over the league the ability to withstand more harm and heal from it more quickly, and that the crackdown in steroids is why we are seeing a spike in injuries the last few years.

3 hours ago, alienrace said:

Completely agree.  The notion that they haven't been addressing the line is rubbish, they've done it in the draft and in FA in recent years.  That would have been a very good line had they not been beseiged with injuries.  As it is, the depth they had has allowed them to get their feet back under them, which is fairly remarkable.  The Raiders were a really good test, given their pass rush.  Keeping Mack a non-factor was the most impressive thing they've done all year.  Maybe in two years. 

Not only that, Jensen is rated the third best center so far by Pro Football Focus so where is the week link that everybody was crying about all off season? That would have been a really good offensive line if not for the injuries. 

Where are all the threads about how well Jensen has been playing?  Where are all the threads about how well the line played against Oakland even with all the injuries? Oh yeah, it's not cool on this board to compliment. 

22 minutes ago, RavingManiac said:

Not only that, Jensen is rated the third best center so far by Pro Football Focus so where is the week link that everybody was crying about all off season? That would have been a really good offensive line if not for the injuries. 

Where are all the threads about how well Jensen has been playing?  Where are all the threads about how well the line played against Oakland even with all the injuries? Oh yeah, it's not cool on this board to compliment. 

Where's your link about the Ravens leading the league in steroid use? You just made that up. There's no proof of that whatsoever. You lied and made it up. Didn't you? Just like you're lying about nobody giving props to the O-line:

On 10/11/2017 at 7:37 AM, OriginalColtsFan said:

There's a debate going on regarding how things might have played out had Carr been in. Solid arguments can be made on both sides. I think things might have been different had Carr been in (i.e. they would have done better) but there's no guarantee. Honestly, I was more impressed with how well the Ravens O-line did, considering the fact that Oakland's D had two formidable rushers, and the O-line kept Joe clean the whole game. I think Jensen is coming around and is clearly 100% better than his first game. This looks like maybe it won't be a repeat of the Gradkowski disaster. That would be a huge win.

Edited by OriginalColtsFan

Yeah. That's what I thought. Just like always. You got nothing but your little lies.

UPDATE: Iron Man Perriman is back at practice. He still has a "knee issue", but he's back and will most likely play on Sunday. Now, there's no doubt, the Ravens will win.

;)

On 10/6/2017 at 5:53 PM, jamesdean said:

Almost all of the comments about Perriman are based on his inability to hold on to the ball.  Pretty hard to put up decent numbers while the ball is bouncing off your hands and chest. 

The problem with that statement is he put up good numbers for #3 receiver that he was last season. Technically he was #4 if you include Pitta. He has 4 catches this year(less than the 2nd and 3rd string TE's). He can't put up numbers if he's not being thrown to. You could claim his "drop" problem contributes to a lack of confidence from Joe, but you can't blame the guy for lack of production if he's not being thrown to.

On 10/4/2017 at 4:11 PM, weird-O said:

I only read the first page of posts. Honestly, Perriman frustrates me too much to dwell on him. Reading all the pages of this thread, would bum me out. For those who also follow the O's, I liken him to Ubaldo. He gets to keep playing, because he cost so much. Obviously not in terms of $$$ amount, since he's a rookie. But in terms of the value of a first round pick.

Ken mentioned that he's not a #1 receiver, and we shouldn't expect #1 production. I don't disagree with that. He obviously isn't a #1. But a 1st round pick comes with expectations. Perhaps it's unfair to expect BP to be better than he's capable of. But that's what happens when you get picked in the 1st round. 

Which leads to my question. When is the soonest we can expect to see him go? Since he was drafted in the back half of the round, are all his rookie contract seasons guaranteed? 

If he's released next year he results in a savings of $1.6M against the cap. Next year is the last year of his contract.

9 minutes ago, bmore_ken said:

If he's released next year he results in a savings of $1.6M against the cap. Next year is the last year of his contract.

Is there any way we can make this year the end of his contract? :P 

1 hour ago, bmore_ken said:

The problem with that statement is he put up good numbers for #3 receiver that he was last season. Technically he was #4 if you include Pitta. He has 4 catches this year(less than the 2nd and 3rd string TE's). He can't put up numbers if he's not being thrown to. You could claim his "drop" problem contributes to a lack of confidence from Joe, but you can't blame the guy for lack of production if he's not being thrown to.

Are you insane? He HAS been thrown to, and he keeps DROPPING the balls. Do you even watch the games man, or do you just come on here to talk stupid chit? This isn't LAST YEAR blah blah blah. It's THIS year.

2 hours ago, bmore_ken said:

He's not being thrown to because he's got stone hands and it's been even more pronounced this year.  If I was the quarterback, I'd go right up to Harbaugh and say, "you can put him out there and even call a play with him but I'm not throwing him the ball.  It's a waste of downs."  He brought it on himself. 

10 minutes ago, jamesdean said:

He's not being thrown to because he's got stone hands and it's been even more pronounced this year.  If I was the quarterback, I'd go right up to Harbaugh and say, "you can put him out there and even call a play with him but I'm not throwing him the ball.  It's a waste of downs."  He brought it on himself. 

Exactly. Ken is, aside from the resident village idiot, one of the most moronic posters I've ever encountered.

2 hours ago, weird-O said:

Is there any way we can make this year the end of his contract? :P 

Yup. release him. But that results in $3M in dead money.

Edited by bmore_ken

55 minutes ago, jamesdean said:

I think I said 

You could claim his "drop" problem contributes to a lack of confidence from Joe, but you can't blame the guy for lack of production if he's not being thrown to.

Edited by bmore_ken

I think I said 

But my point is I DO blame the guy for a lack of being thrown to.  I mean, how may times do you drop passes before Flacco or the OC are going to cut you off?  And any sport is what have you done for me lately not what you did last year.  I guess the only scenario worse would be Perriman actually catching the ball and then fumbling it more than once.  Then he definitely would be in the Harbaugh doghouse.  And why was Amari Cooper targeted only 2 times on Sunday?  Could it be because he's dropping passes like there's no tomorrow? 

2 minutes ago, jamesdean said:

But my point is I DO blame the guy for a lack of being thrown to.  I mean, how may times do you drop passes before Flacco or the OC are going to cut you off?  

Have you looked at his stats last year as the  3rd wide receiver, 4th receiver overall? 

Have you looked at his stats last year as the  3rd wide receiver, 4th receiver overall? 

LOL. Julu Smith-Schuster has played in 4 NFL games. He's a rookie. He already has 2 TDs. He's on a team with Brown and Bryant. And DHB. He has 2 TDs in 4 games. Perriman had 3 TDs in 16 games. And JSS was a second round pick, not a first round pick. He's already having a significant impact. Perriman is a waste of time and space. There isn't a single sports commentator who has anything positive to say about Perriman's performance. Yet you, the brilliant one, see it differently. You could not possibly be more clueless if you tried.

And for the Nth time -- last year is not this year. (Except in Barbie-Ken's world.)

The Ravens could cut Perriman today and I wouldn't care one bit. He's another WR bust by Ozzie. And now he's directly impacting games with his mistakes.

I don't like to see anyone get hurt but if he's out of action for the next several weeks, it won't matter one iota to this offense.  They'll never cut him because he's a first round pick and Ozzie would have to eat a ton of crow in the process but really, why even put him out there other than maybe being a decoy running down the field. Either make him a kick returner(if he can catch the ball) or a running back or just cut your losses.  None of which will happen of course. 

Edited by jamesdean