Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Baltimatt

Concerns about 'Muslim only' development spark controversy in Joppatowne

71 posts in this topic

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/harford/aegis/ph-ag-joppa-cab-20170913-story.html

As Joppatowne area residents continued to express concerns Monday about the potential for a Muslims-only development, a high-ranking Harford County official told them the project will be “treated like any other” when it comes to enforcing code regulations.

That doesn’t mean, however, that the county has any say or authority over who can buy houses in the development, which is known by the names Old Trails or Rivers Run, county Director of Administration Billy Boniface said.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/bs-md-ha-old-trails-development-20170914-story.html

An auxiliary men’s organization of the Ahmadiyya Muslim Community posted information on its website about the development, calling it a “peace village” and saying the builder “will only sell these houses” to Ahmadi Muslims.  That posting by the group, Majlis Ansarullah USA, has since been taken off the website. The developer of the property and a company seeking to purchase the development have since said the homes will be open to all.

Generally religious discrimination is not permitted.  What were they thinking?

12 hours ago, Baltimatt said:

and saying the builder “will only sell these houses” to Ahmadi Muslims

How is that even close to legal?

Any exclusive community would bother me.  White, Black, Jewish, Left Handed Eskimos, what ever.  

In Joppa of all places?

That will go down like a turd in a punch bowl.

16 hours ago, Baltimatt said:

They are thinking .... that THEY CAN GET AWAY WITH IT...that no one dare challenge them on it.

Imagine a bunch of White Bible Thumpers trying to do this. The NAACP and ACLU would have been on this like flys on a turd.

4 hours ago, overtaxed said:

How is that even close to legal?

Get the right lawyer....the right politician....the right bleeding hearts group....and cash. Anything is possible. :mad: Even if it goes against what is ahhhhhh the rules.

If they want to live in their own community I am OK with that. IE- Little Italy, Greektown, over 55 communities. 

44 minutes ago, johnpolitics said:

If they want to live in their own community I am OK with that. IE- Little Italy, Greektown, over 55 communities. 

So am I, but if any of those communities attempted to exclude anyone, I'd be not ok with that.

10 minutes ago, alienrace said:

So am I, but if any of those communities attempted to exclude anyone, I'd be not ok with that.

I was watching a NG show about 'the planets' and how the solar system and planets coalested into what they are today. Most communities became what they are due to the odd fact that humans tend to like to be around other humans that look, act and share similiar values. there was no social engineering.... it just happened.

Now due to the rules we have now.....that is near impossible to have happen. And as we see going against those rules is a no no.

This effort is a no no.....and if it isn't and this yet another 'that's different' thingy. Then I don't want to hear when a bunch of middle class white people ....just wanting to be 'with there own kind' .... is considered to be racist and bigotted.

In my world the door should swing both ways.

1 hour ago, alienrace said:

I doubt Pat McDonough or any Trump fan would move into a Muslim anything community. 

“When we realized that information on [the website] was causing misunderstandings for the external audience due to lack of context and use of jargon, we unpublished it,"Shades and Springs Inc. said. 

"will only sell to..." is clear. Shades and Spring  attempted rationalization is shady.

3 hours ago, johnpolitics said:

I doubt Pat McDonough or any Trump fan would move into a Muslim anything community. 

But Bernie & Hillary people couldn't either ......

1 minute ago, stevez51 said:

But Bernie & Hillary people couldn't either ......

Couldn't or wouldn't.? :rolleyes: But I think Bernie would give it a shot.

20 hours ago, johnpolitics said:

But several posters in nationals would love the opportunity to live there.

21 hours ago, johnpolitics said:

What the hell does that have to do with what I said? 

Real Estate laws will prevent that from happening. You can not market or advertise a community exclusive to one race, gender, etc. 

22 hours ago, AugusteDupin said:

Real Estate laws will prevent that from happening. You can not market or advertise a community exclusive to one race, gender, etc. 

Unless ....... you got a very sharp lawyer, some political clout, money and being able to whine that 'we need our own religious space'. That last one is the ace card. Separation of church and state ....gives them a lot of wiggle room. IMO.

As I understand it.....devout Muslims lives ....much like Ultra Orthodox Jews ...and Ultra Mennonites....for them their religious lives and day to day lives ARE HIGHLY INTEGRATED. Meaning in their eyes 'needing our own religious space' for reasons above are one in the same.

Again this an opinion and based on observations.

Everybody chime in if you wish.

Edited by Guido2

9 minutes ago, Dr Johnny Fever said:

A Muslim only housing development would probably bomb.B)

In the days of my early youth i recall asking what "restricted" referred on signs announcing the opening new developments that were sprouting like trees at the time.

It took me a few years to learn tht "restricted" meant "No Blacks, No Jews, no Catholics (maybe) and God forbid, no mobile homes.  :rolleyes::)

Research tells me that there's a Moslem  "study center/mosque/meeting place" in the area as well.

I wonder if they'll erect their own wall around their new neighborhood? 

Will Louis Farrakhan be there for the grand opening?  

On 9/20/2017 at 11:35 AM, johnpolitics said:

Am I precluded from buying property in Little Italy?

29 minutes ago, Dr Johnny Fever said:

A Muslim only housing development would probably bomb.B)

I haven't seen this brought up yet, however it occurs to me that as restricted community along these lines smacks of the Aryan Nations, Montana Militia, The Arm and Sword of God as well as that That weird polygamous "Mormon" outfit as well as a few more on the record. 

2 hours ago, Rael said:

Am I precluded from buying property in Little Italy?

No but if I was a Muslim I would avoid Dundalk.

59 minutes ago, johnpolitics said:

No but if I was a Muslim I would avoid Dundalk.

Any person with an iq above room temp would.B)

12 minutes ago, Dr Johnny Fever said:

Any person with an iq above room temp would.B)

Lol