Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Baltimatt

Concerns about 'Muslim only' development spark controversy in Joppatowne

71 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, boink said:

why do Muslims want to live among infidels and kafirs?

Perhaps those who are open minded and not bigoted do.

9 hours ago, boink said:

why do Muslims want to live among infidels and kafirs?

Less travel time to work, maybe.  Just like everyone else. 

Edited by Ode2Joy

On 9/29/2017 at 6:43 AM, Baltimatt said:

Well if they are so open minded.....then why we 'sell only to Muslims' thingy? Yes matt.... I know the papertrail etc.....but it was declared as such regardless. Doesn't that set up expectations? Be they true or not?

40 minutes ago, Guido2 said:

Well if they are so open minded.....then why we 'sell only to Muslims' thingy? Yes matt.... I know the papertrail etc.....but it was declared as such regardless. Doesn't that set up expectations? Be they true or not?

I referred to a subset of Muslims, in response to boink's apparent lumping them all together.  Of course, some may wish to live with similar people, but as long as others aren't excluded, that's OK.

Besides, that reference was taken off the website.  It would be illegal to sell or advertise for sale only to a particular group.  And this are Ahmadiyya Muslims, who, as far as I know, integrate and are sometimes persecuted by more traditional branches of Islam.

46 minutes ago, Baltimatt said:

I referred to a subset of Muslims, in response to boink's apparent lumping them all together.  Of course, some may wish to live with similar people, but as long as others aren't excluded, that's OK.

Besides, that reference was taken off the website.  It would be illegal to sell or advertise for sale only to a particular group.  And this are Ahmadiyya Muslims, who, as far as I know, integrate and are sometimes persecuted by more traditional branches of Islam.

Doesn't EVERYBODY lump SOMEBODY together? See that is where it is tricky.

For example....if someone says 'well whites have rights also'....you are lumped in with the skin heads. if someone says thugs (meaning criminal element) some assume you mean all black people. And so on.

You as a poster can know what you 'mean' that doesn't mean that everyone interprets what you 'mean' the same way. Hence why I have become very very specific on these posts lately so it is not subject to mis-interpretation. As you may have noted as of late.

Al

On 9/19/2017 at 6:17 PM, Baltimatt said:

They weren't thinking. All they had to do was leak a story that a lot of Muslims will be living in that area and no whites would attempt to live there.  Problem solved.

On 9/20/2017 at 5:36 AM, boink said:

Muslim "peace village"?

too funny

What's funny about that?

1 hour ago, EgyptKang said:

Al

They weren't thinking. All they had to do was leak a story that a lot of Muslims will be living in that area and no whites would attempt to live there.  Problem solved.

Uhh, Muslims can be white.

16 minutes ago, Baltimatt said:

Uhh, Muslims can be white.

Ok......I know that.

19 hours ago, EgyptKang said:

What's funny about that?

Don't feed the troll

On 9/21/2017 at 0:10 PM, AugusteDupin said:

Real Estate laws will prevent that from happening. You can not market or advertise a community exclusive to one race, gender, etc. 

But you can to a religion. Especially if you are a religious group.

On 9/29/2017 at 6:43 AM, Baltimatt said:

This group of Muslims are considered the same by most other Muslims. There belief structure is a hybrid Muslim Christianity

On 10/24/2017 at 4:45 PM, jtowne-swim said:

But you can to a religion. Especially if you are a religious group.

The State of Maryland's Commission on Civil Rights would disagree with you. They would more than likely also tell you not to discuss things to which you do not know. 

Pursuant to State Government Article, §20-702, Annotated Code of Maryland, it is the policy of the State of Maryland to provide for fair housing throughout the State, to all its citizens, regardless of race, color, religion, sex, familial status, national origin, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or disability

18 minutes ago, jtowne-swim said:

Federal law says otherwise!

Federal Law will disagree with you as well. They also will more than likely tell you that you know nothing about the law and that you should leave the interpretation of the law to the professionals. 

Sec. 804. [42 U.S.C. 3604] Discrimination in sale or rental of housing and other prohibited practices As made applicable by section 803 of this title and except as exempted by sections 803(b) and 807 of this title, it shall be unlawful-- (a) To refuse to sell or rent after the making of a bona fide offer, or to refuse to negotiate for the sale or rental of, or otherwise make unavailable or deny, a dwelling to any person because of race, color, religion, sex, familial status, or national origin.

Yes, this is from the Federal Civil Rights Act of 1968 as it relates to housing. 

7 hours ago, AugusteDupin said:

Federal Law will disagree with you as well. They also will more than likely tell you that you know nothing about the law and that you should leave the interpretation of the law to the professionals. 

Yes, this is from the Federal Civil Rights Act of 1968 as it relates to housing. 

So go look up the exemptions to that same act as well as the fair housing act which specifically deal with this!

Edited by jtowne-swim

Except the earlier claims that this is a Muslim only community were scrubbed from the website.

On its website, an auxiliary organization of the Ahmadiyya community called the development a “peace village” with a mosque and claimed the builder “will only sell these houses” to Ahmadi Muslims. That posting was erased from the website, and local leaders of the Ahmadiyya community announced that the homes would be open to all prospective buyers, 55 and older. There would be no mosque, but a community center built on four of the development’s 52 lots.

8 hours ago, jtowne-swim said:

So go look up the exemptions to that same act as well as the fair housing act which specifically deal with this!

Here, let me provide you with a layman's look at what the exemption means and hopefully you'll understand:

Religious organizations: Housing sponsored by a religious organization may be restricted to members of that particular religious organization, provided the religion doesn’t discriminate in its membership policies.

You see the bold statement? That means that a particular "religious group" (Muslims) may build / sell / rent housing for their constituents however they can not discriminate against other people buying / renting in the same community based on "religion" not akin to their own (Islam) as long as those people (non-muslims) agree to their policies. So in essence, If I wanted to live in a predominantly (operative word) owned Muslim neighborhood, I must be willing to abide by the communities policies (also commonly known as an "HOA" or Home Owners Association). Not allowing me to buy or rent in that neighborhood because I am non-muslim would be a violation of State and Federal Law which makes your entire point unavailing. Do you understand now? 

4 hours ago, AugusteDupin said:

Here, let me provide you with a layman's look at what the exemption means and hopefully you'll understand:

You see the bold statement? That means that a particular "religious group" (Muslims) may build / sell / rent housing for their constituents however they can not discriminate against other people buying / renting in the same community based on "religion" not akin to their own (Islam) as long as those people (non-muslims) agree to their policies. So in essence, If I wanted to live in a predominantly (operative word) owned Muslim neighborhood, I must be willing to abide by the communities policies (also commonly known as an "HOA" or Home Owners Association). Not allowing me to buy or rent in that neighborhood because I am non-muslim would be a violation of State and Federal Law which makes your entire point unavailing. Do you understand now? 

That is not what the applicable section of the FHA says. It specifically says they can do what they said and that is sell the lots to the members of thier religion. Aside from which no one outside of thier religion has ponied up money to buy!

they are not discriminating as to who can join thier religion.

Edited by jtowne-swim

1 hour ago, jtowne-swim said:

That is not what the applicable section of the FHA says. It specifically says they can do what they said and that is sell the lots to the members of thier religion. Aside from which no one outside of thier religion has ponied up money to buy!

they are not discriminating as to who can join thier religion.

Look, I'm not going to waste additional time and energy debating semantics with you. Long and short, I provided you with information regarding state and federal laws as it relates to housing. Your theory was proven to be a fallacy, nothing more than conjecture. State and federal law is clear. Period.