Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
soulflower

Republicans don't care about Deficits

134 posts in this topic

Tea Party conservatives are too busy trying to repeal Obamacare to care about deficits and debt.  Besides, they only mattered when Obama was President.

Because they know that the Democrats will clean up the mess while being blamed by the uneducated Republican voters.

They care about their rich mega donors and lobbyists.... no one else. 

What's really disturbing is the media plays along with the GOP game rather than calling them out on it.

3 minutes ago, michiganjoe said:

What's really disturbing is the media plays along with the GOP game rather than calling them out on it.

I don't expect the MSM to challenge Republicans on how the tax cuts are paid for

I just wish they'd point out that the same people supposedly concerned about the debt when Obama was president were cheerleading Bush during his spending spree. Tea Party movement was always a fraud and the media played along. 

Another thread title lie.

Hypocrites.

It's why you who have posted  in this thread are.

You call out(often falsely) any Con. thread but never your own.

So transparent 

2 minutes ago, michiganjoe said:

I just wish they'd point out that the same people supposedly concerned about the debt when Obama was president were cheerleading Bush during his spending spree. Tea Party movement was always a fraud and the media played along. 

You are right.  The same way those who were gravely concerned about the debt while Bush was blowing it up looked the other way when Obama failed to address it and kept blowing it up even more.  I've been saying it for years.  I criticized Bush for not paying attention to it as well as Obama.  I'm at the point where if you want to give me money in the form of a tax cut, I'm all for it.  Don't really care much about the debt anymore.  It is nothing but another partisan issue at this point.  

8 minutes ago, cprenegade said:

You are right.  The same way those who were gravely concerned about the debt while Bush was blowing it up looked the other way when Obama failed to address it and kept blowing it up even more.  I've been saying it for years.  I criticized Bush for not paying attention to it as well as Obama.  I'm at the point where if you want to give me money in the form of a tax cut, I'm all for it.  Don't really care much about the debt anymore.  It is nothing but another partisan issue at this point.  

Some on the left side of spectrum here criticized Obama for increasing military spending which is basically deficit spending.

The problem I have with Republicans is they use the deficit/debt as an excuse when cutting social programs, but it's all good to increase it as long as it's tax cuts that favor the wealthy.  Or of course cool weapons.

21 minutes ago, mcorioles said:

Another thread title lie.

Hypocrites.

It's why you who have posted  in this thread are.

You call out(often falsely) any Con. thread but never your own.

So transparent 

I have a question. Do you think you are helping your cause by behaving like this? You certainly seem to think so. But it's hard to fathom. 

5 minutes ago, Dystopia said:

I have a question. Do you think you are helping your cause by behaving like this? You certainly seem to think so. But it's hard to fathom. 

It does make you wonder about the agenda in play, doesn't it?

29 minutes ago, cprenegade said:

Obama reduced the deficit which he inherited due to the Bush Tax Cuts and the Recession. Obama also approved the 2011 Budget Control Act which reduces spending by 2 trillion over ten years. 

So while Dems don't pretend to be deficit hawks, the deficits tend to go down when they are in office. 

Edited by soulflower

10 minutes ago, soulflower said:

Obama reduced the deficit which he inherited due to the Bush Tax Cuts and the Recession. Obama also approved the 2011 Budget Control Act which reduces spending by 2 trillion over ten years. 

So while Dems don't pretend to be deficit hawks, the deficits tend to go down when they are in office. 

He doubled the National Debt.  More than all previous presidents put together.  You have no case.  

1 minute ago, jdsample said:

LOL, like Democrats are deficit hawks.  Don't make me laugh.  

They don't pretend to be 

10 minutes ago, soulflower said:

You can play that game with some, but I know the difference between the deficit and the debt.  So he gets a pat on the back for reducing the amount of money above the revenue taken in that is spent.  Big deal.  That makes him a little better than Bush, but it still kept adding to a massive debt.  Until someone reduces the deficit to zero and begins running a surplus from year to year, thereby beginning to pay down the debt,  I will continue to yawn at the economic word games both sides like to play.  

Just now, jdsample said:

He doubled the National Debt.  More than all previous presidents put together.  You have no case.  

The tax cuts followed by the Recession doubled the deficit 

3 minutes ago, soulflower said:

Don't forget two wars.

2 minutes ago, cprenegade said:

You can play that game with some, but I know the difference between the deficit and the debt.  So he gets a pat on the back for reducing the amount of money above the revenue taken in that is spent.  Big deal.  That makes him a little better than Bush, but it still kept adding to a massive debt.  Until someone reduces the deficit to zero and begins running a surplus from year to year, thereby beginning to pay down the debt,  I will continue to yawn at the economic word games both sides like to play.  

The deficits went up under Reagan and Bush and went down under Clinton and Obama

I agree that no administration has taken steps to reduce the debt

Personally both parties in the Senate are guilty of the same sin. Just different flavors of the same sin.

If you are really poor.....yeah dems.......if you are really rich....yeah repubs.

If you are middle class regardless of the party you belong to ......you are screwed.

1 minute ago, soulflower said:

The deficits went up under Reagan and Bush and went down under Clinton and Obama

I agree that no administration has taken steps to reduce the debt

Each party has it's pet projects....each party wants it now.....each party figures this...............

22 minutes ago, soulflower said:

Baloney.  What did a tax cut have to do with a trillion dollar stimulus bill?  How much did the deficit go up with the Reagan tax cuts?  Oh, that's right, they led to a government surplus after a few years.  

Are you one of those that believe a tax cut must be "revenue neutral?"  Because not recognizing that people actually react to tax policy and change their behavior, then your understanding of human nature is no better than your belief in unicorns.  How did NY raise cigarette taxes (while making grandiose plans on what to do with the additional revenue) only to see revenue plummet?  

11 minutes ago, jdsample said:

Baloney. What did a tax cut have to do with a trillion dollar stimulus bill?  How much did the deficit go up with the Reagan tax cuts?  Oh, that's right, they led to a government surplus after a few years.  

Are you one of those that believe a tax cut must be "revenue neutral?"  Because not recognizing that people actually react to tax policy and change their behavior, then your understanding of human nature is no better than your belief in unicorns.  How did NY raise cigarette taxes (while making grandiose plans on what to do with the additional revenue) only to see revenue plummet?  

The 2009 Stimulus adds 83 billion per year to the deficit between 2009 and 2019. So it's incorrect to attribute the deficit entirely to the stimulus 

http://www.cbo.gov/sites/default/files/cbofiles/attachments/02-22-ARRA.pdf

Yes, tax cuts should be Deficit Neutral unless they're needed to stimulate the economy. In the 2009 economy a Tax Cut makes sense. In the 2017 economy it makes no sense.

We're due for a major war or recession within the next four years (both are relatively cyclical). It's not the best time to reduce tax revenue.

Edited by soulflower

5 minutes ago, jdsample said:

Baloney.  What did a tax cut have to do with a trillion dollar stimulus bill?  How much did the deficit go up with the Reagan tax cuts?  Oh, that's right, they led to a government surplus after a few years.  

Tax cuts reduced tax revenue.  Recession cost a lot of jobs which reduced tax revenue.  Didn't a lot of the stimulus go states paying off their debts due all the people losing their jobs and not paying taxes?

Even before the Recession, I don't remember any surpluses under Bush when the real estate bubble was booming.  I'm sure two wars after cutting taxes didn't help either.