Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
soulflower

Republicans don't care about Deficits

134 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, jdsample said:

Pick the tax rate you need to eliminate the deficit this coming year.  And let's go for the whole enchilada.  Eliminate the debt in 10 years.  

It will not work.  But Indonesia will be grateful.  

So, in your shrill hyperbole you have succeeded in avoiding the fact that Trump and the GOP are about to make the deficit much much worse.

11 hours ago, jdsample said:

Pick the tax rate you need to eliminate the deficit this coming year.  And let's go for the whole enchilada.  Eliminate the debt in 10 years.  

It will not work.  But Indonesia will be grateful.  

So raise tax rates even more.  Silicon Valley will be on a fleet of boats to China and India.  

Nothing will ever be eliminated because the US wants to fight endless wars, continually increase the military budget (all Republican candidates campaigned on large increases) and then at the same time cut taxes.

27 minutes ago, ivanbalt said:

Nothing will ever be eliminated because the US wants to fight endless wars, continually increase the military budget (all Republican candidates campaigned on large increases) and then at the same time cut taxes.

Opinions are not facts.

You're welcome.

9 hours ago, jdsample said:

Lately you are right regarding payroll taxes but originally it was only a couple of percent.  As you know, part of the reason revenues don't go up with higher tax rates is because we begin to spend inordinate amounts of time, money, and energy to avoid these taxes as the rates go up.  Higher tax rates on cigarettes in NY simply spawned a black market and revenue actually went down.  Higher taxes drives industry and savings overseas.  

I'm pretty sure you also know that we paid for WW II with debt, and in the end many countries owed us huge sums of money which were paid back in the 50's and 60's.  Americans did not enjoy any prosperity during the war, essentially the depression continued for them despite having jobs making things that would simply be destroyed later.  The late 40s & 50's were really where Americans came out of the depression and partly because there was a national influx of cash from allies that owed us.  

Oh for the love of God.

Depression didn't end til after the war? Revisionist garbage. Total employment, soaring GDP-- how is that depression? Yes there were shortages but that's war, not depression.

Liberals don't care about lying thread titles........unless a Conservative posts one.

Edited by mcorioles

18 hours ago, ncbirdfan said:

This is certainly not earth-shattering news. The GOP just doesn't like deficits when the black man is in charge. When one of their own is in charge, the sky's the limit.

See, here is another example of something that could be taken in any number of ways, yet you decide to inject race into it.

I think it is more likely that they only care about deficits when the Democrats are in charge. But feel free to fan the racial tension just to make your point.

12 minutes ago, Rael said:

See, here is another example of something that could be taken in any number of ways, yet you decide to inject race into it.

I think it is more likely that they only care about deficits when the Democrats are in charge. But feel free to fan the racial tension just to make your point.

Not to mention the thread title is a lie.......but mods,the usual,suspects don't seem to care?

Why is that?

41 minutes ago, Rael said:

There is no doubt in my mind that race was indeed injected into their decisions. In case you are not aware there is a solid block in the GOP that was very upset that a black man was elected president. The end result was that they came out in force to get Trump into the White House. Had Obama not been president for eight years Trump never would have come close. They have their leader now. This is also why the GOP dared to not allow a Supreme Court justice nominee to get a vote. They know their voters well.  And remember what they did on the night Obama was elected? Was it because they didn't like his policies? ;)

Edited by ncbirdfan

I hate to tell you but I'm fairly sure there was also some in the Democratic party that were upset that a black man was in the White House.

However, the republicans have railed against the deficit every time that a democratic president has had a deficit which makes your cherry picking of just that period of time useful only if you desired to fan racial tension rather than making the point that the republicans are hypocrites when it comes to the deficit. 

Edited by Rael

12 minutes ago, Rael said:

I hate to tell you but I'm fairly sure there was also some in the Democratic party that were upset that a black man was in the White House.

However, the republicans have railed against the deficit every time that a democratic president has had a deficit which makes your cherry picking of just that period of time useful only if you desired to fan racial tension rather than making the point that the republicans are hypocrites when it comes to the deficit. 

I'm quite sure there are people in the Democratic party that do not like blacks, but they are not the ones marching white pride. They are typically not the neo-Nazis or KKK, etc. I challenge you to ask the members of those groups if they are Democrats. Have you seen any supporting Hillary Clinton? If so, he'd be a minority.

There are three types of people in regard to racism. Those who think it is everywhere; those who think it is nowhere; and those who are in between. That's where I am. Racism does exist. Calling out a racist or racism is not pulling out the race card. It's just calling for the truth. Otherwise, racists would be able to get away with their hatred. If they are not confronted they will assume you condone them.

Edited by ncbirdfan

4 minutes ago, ncbirdfan said:

I'm quite sure there are people in the Democratic party that do not like blacks, but they are not the ones marching white pride. They are typically not the neo-Nazis or KKK, etc. I challenge you to ask the members of those groups if they are Democrats. Have you seen any supporting Hillary Clinton? If so, he'd be a minority.

There are three types of people in regard to racism. Those who think it is everywhere; those who think it is nowhere; and those who are in between. That's where I am. Racism does exist. Calling out a racist or racism is not pulling out the race card. It's just calling for the truth. Otherwise, racists would be able to get away with their hatred. If they are not confronted they will assume you condone them.

My whole side of my fathers family is hardcore Dem .....the most racist,homophobic people I've ever met.

I have news for you....ENVIROMENT has WAY more to do with racism than POLITICAL IDEOLOGY.

I don't think Rep. Paul Ryan is racist.

He's definitely a hypocrite and phony deficit hawk though

Most Republicans only rail against Deficits when Dems are in office

15 minutes ago, mcorioles said:

My whole side of my fathers family is hardcore Dem .....the most racist,homophobic people I've ever met.

I have news for you....ENVIROMENT has WAY more to do with racism than POLITICAL IDEOLOGY.

True, but only one party welcomed them in as part of a designed strategy

1 minute ago, banner1124 said:

True, but only one party welcomed them in as part of a designed strategy

I disagree.....of course.

Edited by mcorioles

Just now, mcorioles said:

I disagree.....of course.

You can disagree all you want, but it's a fact... unless of course you want to contend that the Southern Strategy never happened

10 minutes ago, soulflower said:

I don't know what he is.  I used to respect him, didn't agree with him, but thought he stood for something.

I don't know if I've ever seen such a clear example of power corrupting, and so quickly!

1 minute ago, ms maggie said:

I don't know what he is.  I used to respect him, didn't agree with him, but thought he stood for something.

I don't know if I've ever seen such a clear example of power corrupting, and so quickly!

Harry Reid,Nancy Pelosi.

2 hours ago, ncbirdfan said:

I am also somewhere in between. One thing I learned when my first marriage was crumbling was that people lose "the assumption of good intentions". That if a thing can be taken more than one way and one is worse than the other, people over time tend to gravitate towards the worst interpretation. Since then I try to remember that in all people to people interactions. Assume good intentions until proven otherwise. I get burned sometimes but overall I feel better off when I attempt to live up to that ideal. 

2 hours ago, mcorioles said:

Now I get the Obama obsession. :D

Edited by bmore_ken

8 minutes ago, bmore_ken said:

Now I get the Obama obsession. :D

Sigh

8 hours ago, soulflower said:

I can't disagree, but from what I have observed your last sentence would be more correct if rephrased as "Most partisans only rail against deficits when the opposition party is in office."  

12 hours ago, cprenegade said:

I can't disagree, but from what I have observed your last sentence would be more correct if rephrased as "Most partisans only rail against deficits when the opposition party is in office."  

Difference being that Democrats don't constantly campaign on being fiscal conservatives.  They tax and spend.

12 hours ago, cprenegade said:

19 minutes ago, ivanbalt said:

Difference being that Democrats don't constantly campaign on being fiscal conservatives.  They tax and spend.

Exactly. It's not honest to say that "both sides do it" applies here. 

Dems constantly get bogged down in the details of "how do we pay for it?" when it comes to their spending promises. 

Republicans ignore the question entirely when it comes to Tax Cuts and Defense spending

3 hours ago, ivanbalt said:

2 hours ago, soulflower said:

Exactly. It's not honest to say that "both sides do it" applies here. 

Dems constantly get bogged down in the details of "how do we pay for it?" when it comes to their spending promises. 

Republicans ignore the question entirely when it comes to Tax Cuts and Defense spending

First off, I was talking about the partisans in the general public who now are totally concerned about what tax cuts will do to our debt but were strangely quiet for the last eight years as it kept sky rocketing up.  But I do remember Obama pledging to cut the deficit in half in his first 3 years and to go "line by line" through the budget to cut the waste.  Neither happened, but I will concede your point to the fact that republicans make it a bigger deal and fail to deliver.  The problem is that nobody wants to do the dirty work of eliminating federal programs, reducing the footprint of government, and cutting budgets because the reality is that any cut will affect somebody and those somebodies are voters.   Those voters who have something they like eliminated will remember it at the polls.