AgentOrange

Is Towson for real?

31 posts in this topic

SB  -I agree with most of what you say regarding the county schedule but I have to disagree with going BACK to to 8 teams per classification and only 3 weeks of playoff. We did that for a long time and it always left 8-2 and even 9-1 teams (occasionally) out. The 4 week format with 2 regional rounds is very appealing to the fans I think. 

No there actuallly would then be 5 weeks of playoffs. They would start on what would be week 10 of regular season. The catch is that all teams would play a 9 game regular season, and then teams not qualifying for playoffs would be allowed to schedule a week 10 game against another non-qualifier. This format was discussed 2 years ago, but never really got any support. 

You are correct on everything but the 8 teams. That proposal was still with 16 teams per classificiation.

I feel like we're getting lost in translation here lol. Doesn't matter really, since it's not going to happen!

On 9/27/2017 at 4:36 AM, DayWalker said:

Okay cool.  I understood the 35-point so called "Mercy Rule" was a state by state rule and not county rule and in MD it was invoked after 35-point differentials in the second half.  So I stand corrected. 

No Day Walker, what I am saying is that you ARE correct.  It is not, or should I say it should not be enforced county by county.  Just Howard County being "Howard County".  Here's the following from the MPSSAA Football Bulletin on page 26:

http://www.mpssaa.org/assets/1/6/FB_Bulletin_17_FINAL.pdf

Playing Rules

By State adoption, Maryland has adopted the following rule regarding the use of running time.
After the first half, any time the score differential reaches 35 points or more, the following changes,
and only these changes, will be made regarding rules determining when the clock will and will not
be stopped.

a. Once a 35-point differential exists in the second half, the clock will only be stopped when:
   (1) An official’s timeout for an injured participant.
(2) A charged (team) time-out occurs.
(3) A score occurs that reduces the point spread to less than 35 points (in which case regular timing procedures will be used).
(4) A period ends.

b. The use of this rule does not preclude the use of Rule 3-1-3 which reads, “A period or periods
may be shortened in any emergency by agreement of the opposing coaches and the referee.
By mutual agreement of the opposing coaches and the referee, any remaining period may be
shortened at any time or the game terminated.”

In other words, a coach must recognize an *** whoopun when he sees it...and accept it for what it is....