Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Rael

Anyone heard from flyguy?

99 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, Calamari said:

Maybe you should PM him instead.

Tried that a week ago.  Still no response. One hopes he is using his phone or tablet to get news he needs to keep his family safe.  Read an article that says only 5% of the island has power, so he is probably not able to charge his device yet.  Hope all is OK.

9 hours ago, MiddleOfTheRoad said:

Tried that a week ago.  Still no response. One hopes he is using his phone or tablet to get news he needs to keep his family safe.  Read an article that says only 5% of the island has power, so he is probably not able to charge his device yet.  Hope all is OK.

More areas are beginning to have power and mobile service. Like you, I hope that he is okay and checks in soon,

On 10/3/2017 at 7:06 PM, jtowne-swim said:

My guess is the board is not his top priority

True.....

It must be pretty hairy down there just to get by the day.

What was it I heard on TV...some village had no internet access or phone service....however some drug store discovered they still had dish communications via the system they use to fill prescriptions... a little ingenuity....the town now has access to the outside world. That owner should get a medal....he is letting all the townspeople use it to contact relatives and such. FOR FREE!

Hope we hear from him soon.

On ‎10‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 9:08 PM, Calamari said:

Maybe you should PM him instead.

Yeah, because that won't require any electricity.

8 hours ago, Guido2 said:

True.....

It must be pretty hairy down there just to get by the day.

What was it I heard on TV...some village had no internet access or phone service....however some drug store discovered they still had dish communications via the system they use to fill prescriptions... a little ingenuity....the town now has access to the outside world. That owner should get a medal....he is letting all the townspeople use it to contact relatives and such. FOR FREE!

Hope we hear from him soon.

The main reason I keep my grandpa’s old radio that still works and transmits has n good working order

7 hours ago, VOSA said:

Yeah, because that won't require any electricity.

Uses around the same amount of electricity as any other visit to this board, but less virtue-signaling involved.

35 minutes ago, Calamari said:

Uses around the same amount of electricity as any other visit to this board, but less virtue-signaling involved.

Any old CB rig with a 7ft Firestick and a 12 volt battery will be of use, if in dire need.

14 hours ago, jtowne-swim said:

The main reason I keep my grandpa’s old radio that still works and transmits has n good working order

Oh my ..... you are my long lost brother...me too. Vacuum tubes or old fashioned transistors? It's an old 'Heathkit' build up? Just curious.

Still have a couple of CB's for the car floating around. They work too.

Posted (edited)

13 hours ago, WKDWZD said:

Any old CB rig with a 7ft Firestick and a 12 volt battery will be of use, if in dire need.

I got rid of my boat....but I kept a couple of deep cycle batteries around and charged from it.  If one could drive my electric motor all day long.....I am pretty sure it could drive a CB or SW....for days.

And for the wise guys out their. No....I am not burying guns or munitions or food in the back yard. :lol:

Some people prepare others wring their hands. :lol:

Edited by Guido2

3 minutes ago, Guido2 said:

I got rid of my boat....but I kept a couple of deep cycle batteries around and charged from it.  If one could drive my electric motor all day long.....I am pretty sure it could drive a CB or SW....for days.

Yes, It would, quite happily. When I had a rig set up as a home base, I coupled a 12 volt battery and a 2 volt (wet) cell in series to make 14 volts (most cars charge at 13.8 to 14.4 volts), those extra 2 volts were good for a few extra miles. 

14 minutes ago, WKDWZD said:

Yes, It would, quite happily. When I had a rig set up as a home base, I coupled a 12 volt battery and a 2 volt (wet) cell in series to make 14 volts (most cars charge at 13.8 to 14.4 volts), those extra 2 volts were good for a few extra miles. 

This is bad ....I suddenly have a hankering to build a new setup. Unfortunately, it seems that Heathkit doesn't sell transceiver kits and such....just receivers..:(

https://shop.heathkit.com/shop

15 hours ago, Calamari said:

You miss the point, as usual.

Puerto Rico has little,, if any, electricity therefore trying to communicate with someone via an electronic device has little, if any, chance of succeeding.

Precious. What do you think you are using to display this thread if not an electronic device?

3 hours ago, Calamari said:

Precious. What do you think you are using to display this thread if not an electronic device?

Obviously an electronic device which uses electricity which I have and most of PR doesn't.

46 minutes ago, VOSA said:

Obviously an electronic device which uses electricity which I have and most of PR doesn't.

Which makes this thread pretty pointless then.

Get it yet?

16 minutes ago, Calamari said:

Which makes this thread pretty pointless then.

Get it yet?

Not for those of us who are worried about flyboy.  It will be here for when he can return.

2 hours ago, mrsmlh said:

Not for those of us who are worried about flyboy.  It will be here for when he can return.

You do understand that poster doesn't care about the person.

6 minutes ago, Calamari said:

This is more of an Open Mike thread.

Well the Mods allowed it to be pinned so it isn't.

Praying for flyguy and the citizens of Puerto Rico

52 minutes ago, stevez51 said:

You do understand that poster doesn't care about the person.

Yes. 

25 minutes ago, Manny said:

Praying for flyguy and the citizens of Puerto Rico

"Thoughts and Prayers!"

13 minutes ago, Calamari said:

"Thoughts and Prayers!"

Earlier in this thread, I apologized for being political in a thread about our friend from PR. Another poster reminded me it wasn’t the time, nor the place. Same can be said to you now. Your response derailed the purpose of this thread.