Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AgentOrange

The rise of the SFA PANTHERS

35 posts in this topic

it is what it is...they just cornered CHC 28-7 and had mercy on them.......this is national power type stuff....ok guys lets talk this over

Edited by AgentOrange

At this point I'd agree and say SJC has best chance to compete with them.  Top 5:

1.  SFA

2.  SJC

3.Dematha

4. McDonogh

5. Gonzaga

56 minutes ago, Bully said:

At this point I'd agree and say SJC has best chance to compete with them.  Top 5:

1.  SFA

2.  SJC

3.Dematha

4. McDonogh

5. Gonzaga

If SFA plays like they did last night, they will lose to McD. Hoping it's just CHC plays them well every year, because they weren't that impressive last night. 

11 minutes ago, GREYHOUND ALUM said:

If SFA plays like they did last night, they will lose to McD. Hoping it's just CHC plays them well every year, because they weren't that impressive last night. 

Way to many mistakes especially on offense.  They will get crushed by IMG again this year if the don't fix that

This thread is about 3 or 4 years late.  You should have posted it the year that SFA beat McDonogh and EI had arguably the best meltdown ever on the HS Sports Forum otherwise known as The Board.

Edited by TheGuru

21 minutes ago, jbmad said:

Way to many mistakes especially on offense.  They will get crushed by IMG again this year if the don't fix that

Yes, they have zero chance to beat IMG playing like that. Way too many penalties on both sides of the ball, sloppy QB play and suspect playcalling. 

They never had a chance to beat IMG anyway let's be honest hear . I strongly believe if SF went nationally with what I've seen they would be exposed . I like that youth ball offense they run the ****s laughable 

SFA tends to play to their competition and give #2s playing time.  That's why Loyola game was closer last year but then they blew out McDonogh.  They took their foot off CHCs throat when it was 28-0 in the 4th.  SFA has the talent and will compete with IMG.  Still think IMG wins by 14

Is that why they get blown out by IMG last year. Funny thing is they took Loyola lightly last year and got punched in the mouth. Had the refs not put their tails between their legs they would have lost. Don't give credit where it's not due

1 hour ago, GREYHOUND ALUM said:

Yes, they have zero chance to beat IMG playing like that. Way too many penalties on both sides of the ball, sloppy QB play and suspect playcalling. 

Sounds like a 2016 or 2017 Gilman Greyhounds football game.

3 hours ago, Bully said:

1.  SFA

2.  SJC

3.Dematha

4. McDonogh

5. Gonzaga

This could be how things end up, but who has SFA beat to put them ahead of DM? Honestly, erase the name from the jersey and look at who they beat. DBP just lost to DePaul 41-17. Bishop Sullivan lost to Good Counsel. CHC lost to Wise. If you put a gun to my head, I'm still taking DeMatha over them. Same goes with SJC. They lost to DLS who got hammered by Gorman. SJR and the BNU is way way way down this year. Watch the tape. GC would beat SJR by 2 TD's. They haven't beaten DM in, what, 25 years? And they deserve to be ranked over DM at this point? I know the "cool" thing to do is be cautious with DeMatha because everyone wants to be the first guy to be "right" whenever they eventually lose, but have a little faith in the program that has consistently proved all of the "hot take" guys wrong. SJC was a talent freak show and DM was supposedly "down" last year. What happened on field? 

The best win in that entire top 5 is DeMatha over McD. Don't believe me? Let's see how this season works out. I've got McD giving SFA all they can handle.

Edited by Silverbullet

1 hour ago, GOOCH said:

They never had a chance to beat IMG anyway let's be honest hear . I strongly believe if SF went nationally with what I've seen they would be exposed . I like that youth ball offense they run the ****s laughable 

SFA’s offense plays to its strengths.  I disagree that it’s a rec league offense.  Now Gilman, that’s a rec league offense!

1 hour ago, GREYHOUND ALUM said:

Need more discipline on both sides. The QB is far from sloppy. He makes to many plays and keeps defenses on their heels. Play calling in the second half was questionable but the game was never in question. Their OLine needs to step up. BUT SFA if you watched played a ton of second stringers. #9 was out when they were driving on SFA. I just don't know if they have the depth as an IMG but they will compete. They easily beat anyone in the DMV. 

I think Dematha and SJC is toss up but like SJC QB and RBs better then Dem.  DM needs Marshawn back and Leinhart healthy but he looks off.  Gonzaga could be the sleeper pick.  SFA will beat MCD easily IMO and won't be playing #2s like they did with CHC.

34 minutes ago, TheGuru said:

SFA’s offense plays to its strengths.  I disagree that it’s a rec league offense.  Now Gilman, that’s a rec league offense!

I COULD NOT AGREE MORE......I have watched the tapes...SFA is essentially  ALABAMA....they do nothing fancy, sneaky or cerebral....like the Tide has done for decades, they just simply take the field as a WELL PREPARED, BIGGER AND STRONGER WELL COACHED TEAM  that simply plays to its strength and win games. I have watched Bama play rb's at qb decade after decade and win a slew of national championships. I see the same thing in SFA. nothing fancy on O, they just use power backs and  speed backs to run the football and a  dual threat qb who makes simple passes when he can and runs when the opportunity presents itself. On D, like Bama, they know their assignments to the letter and understand gap control to the letter as well.....but do not be distracted to the extent that you guys forget what the thread was intended to address.....SFA HAS APPARENTLY BECOME A NATIONAL POWER OVERNIGHT......THIS TEAM CAN BEAT ANYBODY....       

Edited by AgentOrange

15 minutes ago, Dmvballer said:

Need more discipline on both sides. The QB is far from sloppy. He makes to many plays and keeps defenses on their heels. Play calling in the second half was questionable but the game was never in question. Their OLine needs to step up. BUT SFA if you watched played a ton of second stringers. #9 was out when they were driving on SFA. I just don't know if they have the depth as an IMG but they will compete. They easily beat anyone in the DMV. 

The Qb is sloppy watched him run and spin down the sideline with the ball hanging out, that's sloppy. His passing leaves much to be desired. Can he run, yes very good but that makes him a athlete not a Qb. WV Qb was better. Oline is overrated, all of them. And they played the starters for most of the night, everyone around here knows Biff doesn't pull starters. And they have no chance against IMG. McD will give them all they can handle also

4 minutes ago, AgentOrange said:

I COULD NOT AGREE MORE......I have watched the tapes...SFA is essentially  ALABAMA....they do nothing fancy, sneaky or cerebral....like the Tide has done for decades, they just simply take the field as a WELL PREPARED, BIGGER AND STRONGER WELL COACHED TEAM  that simply plays to its strength and win games. I have watched Bama play rb's at qb decade after decade and win a slew of national championships. I see the same thing in SFA. nothing fancy on O, they just use power backs and  speed backs to run the football and a  dual threat qb who makes simple passes when he can and runs when the opportunity presents itself. On D, like Bama, they know their assignments to the letter and understand gap control to the letter as well.....but do not be distracted to the extent that you guys forget what the thread was intended to address.....SFA HAS APPARENTLY BECOME A NATIONAL POWER OVERNIGHT......THIS TEAM CAN BEAT ANYBODY....       

What game did you watch

14 minutes ago, jbmad said:

What game did you watch

The ones that count...Bosco and CHC....the qb does need some work and I would venture to say that he is not  a true qb...but like any qb who plays at bama, he is good enough to hand the ball off...pass to a open reciever...take off when he has to...and manage the clock...this alone is good enough to win championships....and to prove my point, watch this same qb who you call sloppy, win the Miaa-a title.....

Edited by AgentOrange

1 hour ago, Silverbullet said:

This could be how things end up, but who has SFA beat to put them ahead of DM? Honestly, erase the name from the jersey and look at who they beat. DBP just lost to DePaul 41-17. Bishop Sullivan lost to Good Counsel. CHC lost to Wise. If you put a gun to my head, I'm still taking DeMatha over them. Same goes with SJC. They lost to DLS who got hammered by Gorman. SJR and the BNU is way way way down this year. Watch the tape. GC would beat SJR by 2 TD's. They haven't beaten DM in, what, 25 years? And they deserve to be ranked over DM at this point? I know the "cool" thing to do is be cautious with DeMatha because everyone wants to be the first guy to be "right" whenever they eventually lose, but have a little faith in the program that has consistently proved all of the "hot take" guys wrong. SJC was a talent freak show and DM was supposedly "down" last year. What happened on field? 

The best win in that entire top 5 is DeMatha over McD. Don't believe me? Let's see how this season works out. I've got McD giving SFA all they can handle.

True about SJC.  We will find out today if they are for real.  

17 minutes ago, jbmad said:

The Qb is sloppy watched him run and spin down the sideline with the ball hanging out, that's sloppy. His passing leaves much to be desired. Can he run, yes very good but that makes him a athlete not a Qb. WV Qb was better. Oline is overrated, all of them. And they played the starters for most of the night, everyone around here knows Biff doesn't pull starters. And they have no chance against IMG. McD will give them all they can handle also

AND....SFA beats Both Mcd and DM

11 minutes ago, AgentOrange said:

The ones that count...Bosco and CHC....the qb does need some work and I would venture to say that he is not  a true qb...but like any qb who plays at bama, he is good enough to hand the ball off...pass to a open reciever...take off when he has to...and manage the clock...this alone is good enough to win championships....and to prove my point, watch this same qb who you call sloppy, win the Miaa-a title.....

Don't you mean Biff but the title. I was at the game I watched and was not impressed. I was also at the SFA/DM scrimmage/ game . The DM Qb are that secondary alive. 

2 hours ago, Silverbullet said:

'Down' last season? Dont be ridiculous. They were pre-season top 10.The first time they met, DeMatha was #4, SJC #22. The 2nd time they met, DeMatha was #6, SJC, out of the top 25. WaPost's #1 v #4 Where do you come up with this bull****?

On the field, the Stags stopped a 2 point conversion to win in the first game, and in the 2nd, the Stags staged a magical comeback in the final 8 minutes, including the bizarre kickoff recovery on the 1.

Two great games between an undefeated national top 5 and a very good SJC team that went 8-4, with the favorite winning in the final minute both times. I'd say it was slightly closer than projected in both instances. No one picked SJC on here, unless it was one of those bots.

Speaking of bots, Bully is the only handle or publication that has SJC over DeMatha. Or any I've seen. Its intended to bring discussion, with no bearing on the real world. Just like the 'SJC exodus will be the end of the Cadets' thread that was thriving 2 months ago. I will say, based on this board, it does seem a handful of handles have changed their tune on here, as the talk of the death of SJC has been limited to less than a whisper, lately.

I'd keep DeMatha #1, SFA #2, SJC (DC) #3. It means little as far as DeM/SJC go, they can settle it on the field. If either go undefeated, I'd say they'd be likely to be ranked higher, in the end. If they were to split, and SFA runs the table, I'd imagine the Panthers would be ranked higher. I think every one on here knows the Stags streak on the Johnnies, so Bully the Bot qualifies as your imaginary 'hot take'.

What I will say, I'd be the least surprised if SJC were to stop the streak this season, just as I wouldn't have been last year in either game. Picked DeMatha, realized afterward that the prediction that either could win was also true, based on how it played out. 

We'll see if the Cadets can continue their strong play v Don Bosco today. They are a bit more of a 'lesser known' squad than last year's team.

Edited by themamba

1 hour ago, themamba said:

'Down' last season? Dont be ridiculous. They were pre-season top 10.The first time they met, DeMatha was #4, SJC #22. The 2nd time they met, DeMatha was #6, SJC, out of the top 25. WaPost's #1 v #4 Where do you come up with this bull****?

On the field, the Stags stopped a 2 point conversion to win in the first game, and in the 2nd, the Stags staged a magical comeback in the final 8 minutes, including the bizarre kickoff recovery on the 1.

Two great games between an undefeated national top 5 and a very good SJC team that went 8-4, with the favorite winning in the final minute both times. I'd say it was slightly closer than projected in both instances. No one picked SJC on here, unless it was one of those bots.

Speaking of bots, Bully is the only handle or publication that has SJC over DeMatha. Or any I've seen. Its intended to bring discussion, with no bearing on the real world. Just like the 'SJC exodus will be the end of the Cadets' thread that was thriving 2 months ago. I will say, based on this board, it does seem a handful of handles have changed their tune on here, as the talk of the death of SJC has been limited to less than a whisper, lately.

I'd keep DeMatha #1, SFA #2, SJC (DC) #3. It means little as far as DeM/SJC go, they can settle it on the field. If either go undefeated, I'd say they'd be likely to be ranked higher, in the end. If they were to split, and SFA runs the table, I'd imagine the Panthers would be ranked higher. I think every one on here knows the Stags streak on the Johnnies, so Bully the Bot qualifies as your imaginary 'hot take'.

What I will say, I'd be the least surprised if SJC were to stop the streak this season, just as I wouldn't have been last year in either game. Picked DeMatha, realized afterward that the prediction that either could win was also true, based on how it played out. 

We'll see if the Cadets can continue their strong play v Don Bosco today. They are a bit more of a 'lesser known' squad than last year's team.

I don't expect you to understand, but DM people were shocked at last year's team. They were ranked based on the team that beat Miami Central and AHP the year before. They scheduled accordingly. Thankfully SJC took care of business OOC and DM beat them or we're talking about a team with zero Top 100 wins. The secondary was horrendous. McFarland didn't play the entire season. He was actually starting at cornerback because they were so young back there. The WR's were all freshman/soph's. Chase Young was actually playing WR all preseason because they were so uneasy about playing so many young kids. I could keep going, but I'm sure you get it....

Did they play up to that ranking? Yes, but even parents of team members were shocked. They played out of their minds last season and refused to lose. That senior class just had kids who understood the moment and thrived. SJC, on paper, should of made DM hold their pocket. Didn't happen. So yes, knowing DM's par, they were expected to be down last season.

Nobody picked SJC? For one, GA picked Gonzaga and SJC to beat DM last year. He was talking about them fighting for the 4th playoff spot in preseason. For two, Tomslick, but he's one of the characters that always jumps the gun on DM losing their fastball. Most other people are too afraid to predict games on here because they are terrified of being wrong. 

I do agree that today's game will be very telling for SJC. They are similar to SFA at this point, where they've played historically "great" football programs who are not very good this season. 

Edited by Silverbullet

19 minutes ago, Silverbullet said:

I don't expect you to understand, but DM people were shocked at last year's team. They were ranked based on the team that beat Miami Central and AHP the year before. They scheduled accordingly. Thankfully SJC took care of business OOC and DM beat them or we're talking about a team with zero Top 100 wins. The secondary was horrendous. McFarland didn't play the entire season. He was actually playing cornerback because they were so young back there. The WR's were all freshman/soph's. Chase Young was actually playing WR all preseason because they were so uneasy about playing so many young kids. I could keep going, but I'm sure you get it....

Did they play up to that ranking? Yes, but even parents of team members were shocked. They played out of their minds last season and refused to lose. That senior class just had kids who understood the moment and thrived. SJC, on paper, should of made DM hold their pocket. Didn't happen. So yes, knowing DM's par, they were expected to be down last season.

Nobody picked SJC? For one, GA picked Gonzaga and SJC to beat DM last year. He was talking about them fighting for the 4th playoff spot in preseason. For two, Tomslick, but he's one of the characters that always jumps the gun on DM losing their fastball. Most other people are too afraid to predict games on here because they are terrified of being wrong. 

I do agree that today's game will be very telling for SJC. They are similar to SFA at this point, where they've played historically "great" football programs who are not very good this season. 

Oh, ok, you are changing the story now. Thanks for clarifying. You meant by everyone, you meant the DeMatha parents thought it was 'cool' to be cautious and that GA and Tomslick were issuing 'hot takes', hoping to be the first one right. Got it now. Had no idea of the parents thing, thats true. Wish they had more confidence in their kids. Or, at least, read this forum, to find out the overwhelming majority of this board and every national publication had a better idea of how things would play out, and despite their worries and misgivings, they were favored in both, and picked by just about every poster, but two, and themselves, to win both games.

Edited by themamba