Eastside Terp

Ravens take a knee in London

128 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, OriginalColtsFan said:

Amazing! LOL.

Don't we play them next week? Just what we need, the wrath of Tomlin..,.

1 hour ago, mikemor1 said:

At least take comfort in the fact that there's no possible way the Ravens could play worse than today.  They could very well get beat but it's GOT to be more competitive than this one. 

44 minutes ago, mikemor1 said:

Steelers @ M&T on Sunday. Yes.

5 minutes ago, jamesdean said:

At least take comfort in the fact that there's no possible way the Ravens could play worse than today.  They could very well get beat but it's GOT to be more competitive than this one. 

I'm not sure how much comfort resides there. Getting beat by 1 or 100, it's still a L.

9 minutes ago, jamesdean said:

As much as I loved Ray Lewis as a player, I hope he stays away next week... I believe he's a distraction.

5 minutes ago, mikemor1 said:

As much as I loved Ray Lewis as a player, I hope he stays away next week... I believe he's a distraction.

Ray's always been about Ray.

Jaguars players took a knee as well.  And, there's so many other things similar that went on throughout the league.  As well as someone in the MLB this weekend.  More of a solidarity stance against the ramblings of the WH's current occupant Friday night. 

It's called 'freedom of expression'.  btw, some of those who really rant about this are texting, talking, laughing etc during the NA.  Some fans' behavior at games we've attended over the past five plus years has become deplorable.

1 hour ago, OriginalColtsFan said:

I'm not sure how much comfort resides there. Getting beat by 1 or 100, it's still a L.

The difference being that in the NFL, they almost give you credit to lose by less than 7 points.  How many times have you heard that excuse?  "So and so are sitting at 3-10 but 5 of their losses have been by a combined 9 points. They could have just as easily been in the play-offs."  Never fails.  It's been said about the Ravens over and over again.  That was basically my point- losing like they did today is downright embarrassing for everyone involved.  All you do with this one is try to forget about it and hope it's some kind of anomaly.  But these kind of beatings can shake players to the core. 

6 hours ago, Eastside Terp said:

Looks like about 8 to 10 ravens kneeling including suggs, moseley and Ray Lewis .....

Why is ray even on the sidelines with the players .....

It was way more than 8 or 10, the official count was 23 taking a knee and nearly all in locked arms. The Jags had a better showing of players in solidarity, including the owner showing up on the field in solidarity with the players. And guess what,... they won the game! Guess it had something to do with more of them taking a knee!

2 hours ago, ericpd said:

It was way more than 8 or 10, the official count was 23 taking a knee and nearly all in locked arms. The Jags had a better showing of players in solidarity, including the owner showing up on the field in solidarity with the players. And guess what,... they won the game! Guess it had something to do with more of them taking a knee!

The arm and arm thing has been going on awhile and seems like a respectful show of solidarity ......

The disrepecting the anthem seems over the top to me ......

The owners are powerless to stop them so we will just have to see how it impacts the bottom line .....

I'll be booing Suggs and Ray next week but I'll be there although my tickets are already paid for.....

1 hour ago, Eastside Terp said:

The arm and arm thing has been going on awhile and seems like a respectful show of solidarity ......

The disrepecting the anthem seems over the top to me ......

The owners are powerless to stop them so we will just have to see how it impacts the bottom line .....

I'll be booing Suggs and Ray next week but I'll be there although my tickets are already paid for.....

Eastside why is taking a knee a sign of disrespect? (i ask you because a friendly dialogue is never a problem with you) 

1 hour ago, bleedingorangeandblack said:

Eastside why is taking a knee a sign of disrespect? (i ask you because a friendly dialogue is never a problem with you) 

Because that is their self stated intent ....

You can ask the same about burning the flag ......

Same intent, same thing .....

I believe folks should have a right to burn the flags and I'd the NFL owners want to allow players to do this then they will continue to do so .....

It will be up to the fans to determine if their are consequences or not .....

I still believe that tax dollars shouldn't be used to build stadiums that subsidize private businesses .....

They should also stop allowing tax deductions for business expenses related to sky boxes, tickets etc .....

10 minutes ago, Eastside Terp said:

I believe folks should have a right to burn the flags and I'd the NFL owners want to allow players to do this then they will continue to do so .....

I still believe that tax dollars shouldn't be used to build stadiums that subsidize private businesses .....

They should also stop allowing tax deductions for business expenses related to sky boxes, tickets etc .....

Thanks for the response as always!!!

I would rather hear the opinion of Black people on this issue. As a middle age white guy I can say NO ONE has ever called the N word, or racially profiled me. This protest is about discrimination. And when I am in Church I often take a knee.

28 minutes ago, Eastside Terp said:

How would you suggest players protest racial discrimination that draws attention to the issue?

9 minutes ago, johnpolitics said:

How would you suggest players protest racial discrimination that draws attention to the issue?

Great question.

3 minutes ago, OriginalColtsFan said:

Great question.

I have been asking the question all day on line and no one has answered it yet! 

People are complaining what players are doing, making silly threats about never watching games etc. but no one wants to address the issue they are protesting. An effective protest gains attention to an issue and creates change (which might be slow). 

1 minute ago, johnpolitics said:

People are complaining what players are doing, making silly threats about never watching games etc. but no one wants to address the issue they are protesting. An effective protest gains attention to an issue and creates change (which might be slow). 

Absolutely. IMO, people have a warped view of "patriotism". When institutional racism remains entrenched over half a century after the Civil Rights movement, just ignoring it and pretending it doesn't exist, while blaming those who are speaking out against it, is troublesome.

24 minutes ago, johnpolitics said:

I would rather hear the opinion of Black people on this issue. As a middle age white guy I can say NO ONE has ever called the N word, or racially profiled me. This protest is about discrimination. And when I am in Church I often take a knee.

Here is my thing 

I’m 38 black etc etc etc

why should I be afraid to drive to Carroll county to meet friends

why do I feel uncomfortable when I go to harford county

growing up saying the pledge for instance was like the coolest thing ever because the flag I assumed protected us all 

my father a vet fought so that that flag is able to symbolize that 

protest suck I get that but it seems like what else can we (blacks,women,latins or any other minority) do?

9 hours ago, bleedingorangeandblack said:

Here is my thing 

I’m 38 black etc etc etc

why should I be afraid to drive to Carroll county to meet friends

why do I feel uncomfortable when I go to harford county

growing up saying the pledge for instance was like the coolest thing ever because the flag I assumed protected us all 

my father a vet fought so that that flag is able to symbolize that 

protest suck I get that but it seems like what else can we (blacks,women,latins or any other minority) do?

Ok, let's have some honest, serious dialog then.

Why are you afraid to go to Carroll Cty?  I lived there for 13 years, had dozens of black and minority neighbors in a new neighborhood(Manchester Farms) and the ones I got to know seemed to love it there.  They certainly didn't feel afraid to live and raise their kids there.  My neighbors high school aged son brought his black friends to my cookouts a number of times, and non of them were afraid. 

And Harford Cty?  I grew up there, along side of a number of black kids.  Many of whom still live there, and some who I still remain friends with.  They aren't "uncomfortable" living there, as far as I know anyway. 

So is it perhaps you, or your own perceptions/beliefs, that are causing you to have this anxiety?  Or hearsay?  Or did you actually have experiences with groups of people, or individuals overtly trying to intimidate you because of your race?  I ask you this, very directly, very sincerely, because THAT actually happened to me, a white male, several months ago in Baltimore City when getting off of the Metro in Lexington Market.  That wasn't the first time I had been harrassed for being white in Baltimore - I lived there for 7 years - and had a number of incidents of racial harrassment, and threats made.  So if that is why you feel uncomfortable in those areas, having been harrassed and threatened, then I'd understand it, because I feel going into Baltimore City, I'm walking around with a target on my back in the current political climate. 

3 hours ago, alienrace said:

Ok, let's have some honest, serious dialog then.

Why are you afraid to go to Carroll Cty?  I lived there for 13 years, had dozens of black and minority neighbors in a new neighborhood(Manchester Farms) and the ones I got to know seemed to love it there.  They certainly didn't feel afraid to live and raise their kids there.  My neighbors high school aged son brought his black friends to my cookouts a number of times, and non of them were afraid. 

And Harford Cty?  I grew up there, along side of a number of black kids.  Many of whom still live there, and some who I still remain friends with.  They aren't "uncomfortable" living there, as far as I know anyway. 

So is it perhaps you, or your own perceptions/beliefs, that are causing you to have this anxiety?  Or hearsay?  Or did you actually have experiences with groups of people, or individuals overtly trying to intimidate you because of your race?  I ask you this, very directly, very sincerely, because THAT actually happened to me, a white male, several months ago in Baltimore City when getting off of the Metro in Lexington Market.  That wasn't the first time I had been harrassed for being white in Baltimore - I lived there for 7 years - and had a number of incidents of racial harrassment, and threats made.  So if that is why you feel uncomfortable in those areas, having been harrassed and threatened, then I'd understand it, because I feel going into Baltimore City, I'm walking around with a target on my back in the current political climate. 

When I coached out there in the early 2000s a friend and I went in separate cars downtown came back to her place in Sykesville. Following her back a state trooper pulls out from the Dairy Queen and proceeded to follow us up to where the Walmart used to be before he flipped on his lights. Long story short he just wanted to be sure I wasn’t drinking etc very nice and professional. Sadly I watch the news and I can’t help but wonder if things could’ve turned out different,hence my hesitation to be out in that area. I can’t speak for those that live in that area nor will I try to.

Harford Co much different I’ve been called out of my name as recent as Thursday and again if I can avoid it I do. However I like my job in my retirement life so I’ll have to make that trip a time or two 

Baltimore City you aren’t alone 

14 hours ago, johnpolitics said:

Good posts, and like you, I am not black so I don't know what their experience is.  And I may not even have the issue being protested correct, but I think all this began to draw attention to the treatment black Americans receive from law enforcement based on certain incidents publicized nationwide.

46 minutes ago, bleedingorangeandblack said:

When I coached out there in the early 2000s a friend and I went in separate cars downtown came back to her place in Sykesville. Following her back a state trooper pulls out from the Dairy Queen and proceeded to follow us up to where the Walmart used to be before he flipped on his lights. Long story short he just wanted to be sure I wasn’t drinking etc very nice and professional. Sadly I watch the news and I can’t help but wonder if things could’ve turned out different,hence my hesitation to be out in that area. I can’t speak for those that live in that area nor will I try to.

Harford Co much different I’ve been called out of my name as recent as Thursday and again if I can avoid it I do. However I like my job in my retirement life so I’ll have to make that trip a time or two 

Baltimore City you aren’t alone 

Wait, D. I met you. In person. When I paid off my debt. You're black? I had no idea.

;)

1 hour ago, mikemor1 said:

Good posts, and like you, I am not black so I don't know what their experience is.  And I may not even have the issue being protested correct, but I think all this began to draw attention to the treatment black Americans receive from law enforcement based on certain incidents publicized nationwide.

Bingo.  In a way, you can blame modern/social media for a lot of how people are reacting, feeling. 

I have no idea what it's like to be black.  Perhaps it's similar to feeling like I did in Baltimore a few times, all of the time. 

I do know what it's like to be harrassed by cops though.  I've been pulled over for supposed infractions that were "made up", mostly when I was a punkass driving a 71 Camaro that sounded like a top-fuel funny car ;)  However, more recently, I was pulled over leaving the Judges Bench in Ellicott City after being followed from the parking lot for several miles, for something I definitely did not do.  He was of course trying to see if I was drunk(I was certainly not).  So it does happen, to pretty much anyone, everyone.  Even more recently, as in well, yesterday, I was driving on Rt 32 by Columbia in the left lane, doing about 63-65, passing cars on my right, when a cop car came up behind me going at least 100+, and got inches from my bumper.  It looked like his lights were on, but not flashing, and no sirens.  As soon as I could pull to the right, I moved over, and he moved simultaneously with me, again, inches from my rear bumper.  I moved again to the right, to the next lane(long off ramp to 108 I think), and he again moved with me, still nearly touching me.  Then I moved to the shoulder, and he then blew past me.  I have no idea WHAT the hell that was all about.  Sure felt like he was screwing with me, or trying to intimidate me.  He could have easily gone around me at various points if he had somewhere he was going that was important.  That SOB could have gotten us both killed doing that crap.

16 hours ago, johnpolitics said:

A lot of the people complaining about the protests don't even know what's being protested