Eastside Terp

Ravens take a knee in London

155 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, bleedingorangeandblack said:

Showmance lol 

Its a reality tv thing where the people fall for each other 

Yes im laughing at myself as i explain this 

I think this explains a lot about you, BIG D!

LOL

1 minute ago, OriginalColtsFan said:

I think this explains a lot about you, BIG D!

LOL

Lol you know me im a just a little different 

58 minutes ago, bleedingorangeandblack said:

Lol you know me im a just a little different 

Well, I now know this. You didn't know who the Bus Boys were, but you know about Showmance. Hmmmmmmmmmmm...

(Ya know...in college, I had a room mate. Andre. Late at night I'd hear Andre working on his diction. (ask, vs ax, for example)). I used to make fun of him. It was the early 70's. People would hear the two of us talking from outside the door, then I'd open the door, and they'd look at us -- confused. From outside the door they thought I was black and he was white. Funny, huh? Like me and you. Ebony and Ivory. Except reversed. LOL)

Edited by OriginalColtsFan

4 hours ago, Ravenorum said:

These guys stood for the English National Anthem and disrespected their own flag. How little they know that prejudice and ethnic cleansing is not just based on skin color. They stood for a foreign flag that almost succeeded in wiping out the Irish race, for centuries, while taking a knee for a country that has given all groups a chance to live in peace. The United States of America. 

My grandfather, as decent a man that has ever lived, once had an opportunity to take a vacation to western Canada in the mid 20th century. His family was surprising him and my grandmother with a trip to the Canadian Rockies. When he found out where they were going, when he was just about to get in the car, he said he had to do one last thing in the house.

He turned around and told them he couldn't go. His kids didn't understand until he said, "If anyone had any idea what the Brits did to my family in Ireland, you would understand why I could never put my feet on British soil again." There were centuries of ethnic cleansing and our players stood for that anthem.I guess ethnic cleansing of Catholic Ireland is OK for all of them.

I have loved my Ravens since the beginning. But I think I am done. A better response to our impulsive President would have been simply to ignore him. Instead they insulted every ethnic group who found peace far away from English soil. 

There are many possible reasons for the players' decision to kneel for our NA, and stand for the British NA. The first that comes to mind, is that they are visitors to England, and they are showing the ceremonial respect that any foreign visitor would normally display. 

To drill down a bit, think about it from this perspective. The players were making a statement about issues in their country. Most of them probably have little idea about the history of British colonization, other than how it applies to US history. And even if they did, kneeling to England's NA would welcome the response of, "get your own house in order".  Furthermore, kneeling to England's NA wouldn't make any sense. There would be no context for it. We have the context of CK. When he took a knee, most people didn't have to ask why. When I first heard about it, I immediately knew why he did it, and the statement he was making. Added to this, is the fact that English colonization probably isn't an issue the players' feel passionately about. Just as America's systemic racial oppression isn't something all US citizens feel passionately about. The players were, as we all do, picking their battle. It's no different than a player donating time and/or money to a cause that's personal to them. Like Adam Jones, who gives his time and money to support children's causes, or Joe Flacco who dedicates a great deal of his time to help M&T Bank maintain solvency.        

11 minutes ago, weird-O said:

There are many possible reasons for the players' decision to kneel for our NA, and stand for the British NA. The first that comes to mind, is that they are visitors to England, and they are showing the ceremonial respect that any foreign visitor would normally display. 

To drill down a bit, think about it from this perspective. The players were making a statement about issues in their country. Most of them probably have little idea about the history of British colonization, other than how it applies to US history. And even if they did, kneeling to England's NA would welcome the response of, "get your own house in order".  Furthermore, kneeling to England's NA wouldn't make any sense. There would be no context for it. We have the context of CK. When he took a knee, most people didn't have to ask why. When I first heard about it, I immediately knew why he did it, and the statement he was making. Added to this, is the fact that English colonization probably isn't an issue the players' feel passionately about. Just as America's systemic racial oppression isn't something all US citizens feel passionately about. The players were, as we all do, picking their battle. It's no different than a player donating time and/or money to a cause that's personal to them. Like Adam Jones, who gives his time and money to support children's causes, or Joe Flacco who dedicates a great deal of his time to help M&T Bank maintain solvency.        

Wait. M&T is on the verge of becoming insolvent?

3 minutes ago, OriginalColtsFan said:

Wait. M&T is on the verge of becoming insolvent?

Not that I know of. Just using AJ and Joe as examples of players who support a cause. In Joe's case, he's a proud supporter of M&T bank. ;)

1 minute ago, weird-O said:

Not that I know of. Just using AJ and Joe as examples of players who support a cause. In Joe's case, he's a proud supporter of M&T bank. ;)

I see. Well, that does appear to be the case.

;)

(Although I suspect you made that comment somewhat tongue in cheek.)

But don't Harbaugh and Cass ALSO make M&T commercials?

Just now, OriginalColtsFan said:

I see. Well, that does appear to be the case.

;)

(Although I suspect you made that comment somewhat tongue in cheek.)

I suspect you're right ^_^

Just now, weird-O said:

I suspect you're right ^_^

We're on the same page, you and I.

1 minute ago, OriginalColtsFan said:

We're on the same page, you and I.

You and me

17 minutes ago, bleedingorangeandblack said:

Sees an English lesson going on 

Steps out ☺

Is it just me, or does anyone else cringe when Randy Moss, in some new commercial, uses the expression "homie". Didn't that expression vanish around 1981?

2 minutes ago, OriginalColtsFan said:

Is it just me, or does anyone else cringe when Randy Moss, in some new commercial, uses the expression "homie". Didn't that expression vanish around 1981?

Lol i think parts of WV is still in the 80s 

3 minutes ago, bleedingorangeandblack said:

Lol i think parts of WV is still in the 80s 

So it's not just me. OK. Thanks. :D

On 9/24/2017 at 9:49 PM, Eastside Terp said:

Because that is their self stated intent ....

You can ask the same about burning the flag ......

Same intent, same thing .....

I believe folks should have a right to burn the flags and I'd the NFL owners want to allow players to do this then they will continue to do so .....

It will be up to the fans to determine if their are consequences or not .....

I still believe that tax dollars shouldn't be used to build stadiums that subsidize private businesses .....

They should also stop allowing tax deductions for business expenses related to sky boxes, tickets etc .....

Taking a knee is nothing like burning the flag,... not even close! Burning our flag in my opinion speaks more about the destruction on this country, taking a knee in this current context speaks more about our beloved flag not covering and protecting us all. Those taking a knee are only asking that our flag cover and protect them as it does those who don't look like them. I don't think you've heard any of the players who took a knee or any of their supporters state anything other than the intent of the protest was to bring attention to racial injustice and police brutality. 

1 hour ago, ericpd said:

Taking a knee is nothing like burning the flag,... not even close! Burning our flag in my opinion speaks more about the destruction on this country, taking a knee in this current context speaks more about our beloved flag not covering and protecting us all. Those taking a knee are only asking that our flag cover and protect them as it does those who don't look like them. I don't think you've heard any of the players who took a knee or any of their supporters state anything other than the intent of the protest was to bring attention to racial injustice and police brutality. 

That's how it started. But after Trump shot off his mouth, wasn't last week's protest in response to him? That's part of what's so confusing to me about this whole thing.

12 hours ago, OriginalColtsFan said:

That's how it started. But after Trump shot off his mouth, wasn't last week's protest in response to him? That's part of what's so confusing to me about this whole thing.

Well you're partly correct, but not in the way you're thinking. The intention of the protest and the issues the protest is aiming to address and bring attention to hasn't waived or changed direction. What has changed is the amount of loyal and patriotic American citizens now feeling it is important that they add their voices to a peaceful and and worthy protest. And yes,... that change has been fed by the clown in the WH shooting off his mouth. The phenomena of protests growing isn't new, we see it all the time. In the beginning, there are a few, and over time or after an event of some sort, the protest grows. 

Just know that every person out there taking a knee is doing so to protest injustice in this country,... some deciding to join in after the orange clown tried to divide us even further with his remarks.

25 minutes ago, ericpd said:

Well you're partly correct, but not in the way you're thinking. The intention of the protest and the issues the protest is aiming to address and bring attention to hasn't waived or changed direction. What has changed is the amount of loyal and patriotic American citizens now feeling it is important that they add their voices to a peaceful and and worthy protest. And yes,... that change has been fed by the clown in the WH shooting off his mouth. The phenomena of protests growing isn't new, we see it all the time. In the beginning, there are a few, and over time or after an event of some sort, the protest grows. 

Just know that every person out there taking a knee is doing so to protest injustice in this country,... some deciding to join in after the orange clown tried to divide us even further with his remarks.

OK. Thanks. So the focus of the protest hasn't changed, it just went viral after Trump ignited a firestorm with his inappropriate comments. (Kind of sad though, don't you think...that people didn't have enough sense to join with CK at the beginning, and that it took Trump sounding off to wake them up?)

OK. Thanks. So the focus of the protest hasn't changed, it just went viral after Trump ignited a firestorm with his inappropriate comments.

You got it. You said it better than I did friend!

Just now, ericpd said:

You got it. You said it better than I did friend!

OK. But I did add another edited comment after I posted. So I'll add it here. Don't you think it's sad that it took an absurd statement by the POTUS to wake people up to the issue that CK had pretty well articulated himself?

OK. But I did add another edited comment after I posted. So I'll add it here. Don't you think it's sad that it took an absurd statement by the POTUS to wake people up to the issue that CK had pretty well articulated himself?

Yes and no! I don't think many of the people who protested this past week were asleep, I think they believed in the cause no more or no less prior to last week,... both black and white. I think they just decided that it was time to add their 2 cents after hearing the clown's comments.

5 minutes ago, ericpd said:

Yes and no! I don't think many of the people who protested this past week were asleep, I think they believed in the cause no more or no less prior to last week,... both black and white. I think they just decided that it was time to add their 2 cents after hearing the clown's comments.

Well, there's where we disagree. Because in my opinion, that's where the hypocrisy comes in. When it was just CK they were more than willing to black list him AND (or FOR) his cause. But as soon as it went viral, THEN, all of a sudden, it's about unity and brotherhood, etc. It's all BS when it comes to the NFL. In CK's case, and on Sunday as well.

Just my 2 cents.

45 minutes ago, OriginalColtsFan said:

Well, there's where we disagree. Because in my opinion, that's where the hypocrisy comes in. When it was just CK they were more than willing to black list him AND (or FOR) his cause. But as soon as it went viral, THEN, all of a sudden, it's about unity and brotherhood, etc. It's all BS when it comes to the NFL. In CK's case, and on Sunday as well.

Just my 2 cents.

Actually we don't disagree that much, or at all. I can go with what you just said as well going with what I said earlier. I support women's equality, but I've never participated in a demonstration or protest on the topic. But if something happened or words were spoken that brought those inequalities closer to home or more obvious,... I think I'd think again about adding my voice and participation. But if you're talking about the owners wading in hypocrisy,... I totally agree with you. 

The players were all but directly challenged to not stand during the NA. Otherwise, I don't think all that would have happened. I don't want to go too far into a discussion about the president, because I really appreciate how we keep the O's board clear of any political discussions. But my understanding, from people within the WH, who are loyal to their commander, is that he likes turmoil, and discourse with a heavy coating of drama. He intentionally pits staff members against each other, for the sole purpose of watching them bicker. With the NFL playing on foreign soil, what better time than Sunday, to spark a firestorm. The players allowed themselves to be goaded into doing something that would cause an uproar.  

Edited by weird-O