Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Rob

Joe "Flaccid" Flacco

37 posts in this topic

Some Joe Flacco numbers to chew on:

In Sunday's 44-7 loss to the Jacksonville Jaguars, Flacco totaled a 0.8 QBR, the fifth-worst mark in the league since 2007.

His 28 passing yards were a career low and the fewest by any quarterback with at least 15 attempts in a game since Derek Anderson threw for 23 yards in 2009, according to ESPN Stats & Information. The next-worst passing yards total by a starting quarterback this year was by Brian Hoyer, who threw for 99 yards.

Flacco didn't complete a pass until midway through the second quarter, and that was to the Jaguars (an interception that led to Jacksonville's second touchdown of the game). His first connection with a Ravens receiver came four minutes before halftime.

Flacco's 8 yards passing in the first half tied for his fewest in the opening half of a game over his 10-year NFL career. This was the eighth time he has thrown for less than 35 yards in the first half, and all of those games resulted in losses.

Flacco didn't complete a pass that traveled more than 5 yards downfield, the first time in his career that has happened. He was 0-for-6 with two interceptions on such passes.

An awful game like this will continue the narrative about how Flacco hasn't been the same since winning the Super Bowl in 2012. Over the last four-plus seasons, Flacco is tied for the fourth-most interceptions (43) and ranks 31st by averaging 6.7 yards per attempt.

1 minute ago, Rob said:

In Sunday's 44-7 loss to the Jacksonville Jaguars, Flacco totaled a 0.8 QBR, the fifth-worst mark in the league since 2007.

His 28 passing yards were a career low and the fewest by any quarterback with at least 15 attempts in a game since Derek Anderson threw for 23 yards in 2009, according to ESPN Stats & Information. The next-worst passing yards total by a starting quarterback this year was by Brian Hoyer, who threw for 99 yards.

Flacco didn't complete a pass until midway through the second quarter, and that was to the Jaguars (an interception that led to Jacksonville's second touchdown of the game). His first connection with a Ravens receiver came four minutes before halftime.

Flacco's 8 yards passing in the first half tied for his fewest in the opening half of a game over his 10-year NFL career. This was the eighth time he has thrown for less than 35 yards in the first half, and all of those games resulted in losses.

Flacco didn't complete a pass that traveled more than 5 yards downfield, the first time in his career that has happened. He was 0-for-6 with two interceptions on such passes.

An awful game like this will continue the narrative about how Flacco hasn't been the same since winning the Super Bowl in 2012. Over the last four-plus seasons, Flacco is tied for the fourth-most interceptions (43) and ranks 31st by averaging 6.7 yards per attempt.

1. Do your stats exist in some sort of vacuum?

2. Do you think another QB would do better under these circumstances?

3. What do you suggest to correct/fix this problem?

No QB in the NFL could have done much better behind that pass protection.  That was some of the worst, most inept I've seen in 45 years of watching the NFL. 

The entire team was an embarrassment, from top to bottom. 

That said, seems like a lot of teams were unexpectedly bad Sunday.

Obviously the O Line was terrible.  Every aspect of the game was terrible.  But Flacco has looked old and slow for some time.  They need to make drafting the QB of the future the #1 priority. 

*I only watched the first half

Edited by Bawlmerian

Just now, Bawlmerian said:

Obviously the O Line was terrible.  Every aspect of the game was terrible.  But Flacco has looked old and slow for some time. 

*I only watched the first half

Did he look old and slow the week before when he basically dismantled the Browns defense and racked up a QB rating of 97, with a makeshift O-line, no premier RB, etc?

Just now, OriginalColtsFan said:

Did he look old and slow the week before when he basically dismantled the Browns defense and racked up a QB rating of 97, with a makeshift O-line, no premier RB, etc?

He did not look young and fast. 

Just now, Bawlmerian said:

He did not look young and fast. 

smh

I don't think Joe is playing at a high level anymore. 

I totally agree about poor offensive line play. But that's been the issue for YEARS. 

How elite is a QB that now has 8 games in which he had 35 yards passing or less in the 1st half? That's unacceptable. I would only accept this if we had a #1 running back. But we don't and Flacco has ZERO chance of carrying the team on his back.

Edited by Rob

Just now, Rob said:

I don't think Joe is playing at a high level anymore. 

I totally agree about poor offensive line play. But that's been the issue for YEARS. 

So let's see...he didn't take a snap all pre season. He has no O-line this year. He has no premier running back. He's basically been using the first 3 games as his preseason to get in touch with his receivers. He hasn't recovered from a back injury that kept him out all pre season. And he's not playing at a high level any more. OK. Got it. (I just wanted to make sure.)

1 minute ago, Rob said:

How elite is a QB that now has 8 games in which he had 35 yards passing or less in the 1st half? That's unacceptable. I would only except this if we had a #1 running back. But we don't and Flacco has ZERO chance of carrying the team on his back.

Well, maybe for everyone's sake Joe will retire then you can see what it's like without him.

1 hour ago, OriginalColtsFan said:

Well, maybe for everyone's sake Joe will retire then you can see what it's like without him.

People who watched the preseason and Ryan Mallet's special kind of accuracy sure have a short memory. 

2 minutes ago, jamesdean said:

People who watched the preseason and Ryan Mallet's special kind of accuracy sure have a short memory. 

It's mind boggling. Really. I'm done with this thread. It's definitely not for me. Of all the things that are wrong with the Ravens, and there are a LOT of things wrong from the owner on down, Joe is about at the bottom of the list for things that are really wrong.

Nobody said replace Joe with Ryan Mallet.

32 minutes ago, Rob said:

No what were the O line numbers?

I have a hard time believing a 10 year veteran QB can blame his poor play on the back. 

1 hour ago, Rob said:

Nobody said replace Joe with Ryan Mallet.

Then who?  With 14 games left, he's the only alternative at this point.  

I'm talking after this year. The QB position definitely needs to be looked at. First and foremost, we need to upgrade the offensive line BIG TIME.

I was at the game amidst some lame  *** Jags fans. Dont even want to thing about it yet, not over it.

Anyways, it was clear as day that whole team including coaching was on sleep mode big time. Mistake arriving  on Thursday/Friday, I'll fly enough to know jetlag is killer. Jags know better, they arrived on monday.

All I would say this is not on Flacco. Receivers got no separation at all . Most of the downs there was absolutely no one open. And O-line... blah I'll go have a nap

53 minutes ago, Rob said:

I have a hard time believing a 10 year veteran QB can blame his poor play on the back. 

He's never overcome his inconsistent regular season play. 

7 minutes ago, RLPro said:

All I would say this is not on Flacco. Receivers got no separation at all . Most of the downs there was absolutely no one open

The story of their lives!  Game in and game out, and yet the beat goes on.... I don't get it.

7 minutes ago, mikemor1 said:

The story of their lives!  Game in and game out, and yet the beat goes on.... I don't get it.

Is it poor game planning? Poor schemes? We know we have a poor offensive line. Does this team know how to run a quick slant? If your O-Line is bad, you run plays that get the ball out of Flacco's hand quicker. We NEVER do that.

Edited by Rob

9 minutes ago, Rob said:

Is it poor game planning? Poor schemes? We know we have a poor offensive line. Does this team know how to run a quick slant? If your O-Line is bad, you run plays that get the ball out of Flacco's hand quicker. We NEVER do that.

I saw one slant to Maclin I believe in game 1... A sight for sore eyes, but how fleeting it was.

Brady slant to Edelman-their bread and butter play for how many years now? 

I think it's the plan and the schemes-the Raven's don't even attempt, that's why I think that.

Other teams find mismatches against us (i.e., CJ Moseley covering a TE/WR). Another thing we never do. Or are we so lacking in talent on offense that there is no mismatches in our favor.

1 hour ago, Rob said:

Other teams find mismatches against us (i.e., CJ Moseley covering a TE/WR). Another thing we never do. Or are we so lacking in talent on offense that there is no mismatches in our favor.

Before you put ANY scheme in, the only way it works is with the OL doing their job, both passing and running the ball.  The Ravens brass did virtually nothing to improve a line that was absolutely horrible last year.  And then the one guy they do draft to help out gets hurt and is out for the year.  But I hear you- I've been very critical over the years of their lack of imagination on offense.  I shouted to the hill tops last year for them to run the ball more and stick with it because I knew how challenged they were in the passing game.  And I still feel that way.  I'd love to see Collins get the ball over 20 times against the Steelers to see what he can do over the course of a whole game.  I know what West and Allen can do- not much other than average under 4 yards a carry.  So to answer your question- yes, we are that lacking in talent.  At least in the passing game. There's only so much Flacco can do without getting himself killed.