Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Rob

Joe "Flaccid" Flacco

37 posts in this topic

Bottom line- Flacco is declining and imo we will waste the talent on this D if we cant come up with something better in the next 3-4 years. He's statistically been a bottom third qb for the last three + years and his contract is that of one of the top 5-10 players. Its one of the main reasons we can't get better pieces around him. ****ty drafting didnt help.  Bad coaching doesnt help either.  But ultimately We will continue to have these problems until Flacco either plays to the level he's being paid at (which is unlikely given his inability to read Defenses coupled with declining health) or we move on from his contract somehow (maybe restructure or trade).

19 hours ago, poefolks said:

Bottom line- Flacco is declining and imo we will waste the talent on this D if we cant come up with something better in the next 3-4 years. He's statistically been a bottom third qb for the last three + years and his contract is that of one of the top 5-10 players. Its one of the main reasons we can't get better pieces around him. ****ty drafting didnt help.  Bad coaching doesnt help either.  But ultimately We will continue to have these problems until Flacco either plays to the level he's being paid at (which is unlikely given his inability to read Defenses coupled with declining health) or we move on from his contract somehow (maybe restructure or trade).

I don't think Joe is 'declining'.  He was really only a somewhat mobile QB in 2008-2010 for some reason, from what I recollect.  He is just a slower-than-average QB at processing what he sees from the defense.  Not his fault, it's just a matter of brainpower and awareness which have never been strengths for him.  Flacco can still be successful, but Marty obviously needs to figure out a way to be more creative.  I feel pretty confident that if we are not a top 50% team on offense, Harbaugh will part ways with Marty (because Harbs will know that he, himself, would be next on the chopping block) - a little sleight of hand to buy some time for himself.

19 hours ago, poefolks said:

They are already saying next year will be a deep QB draft.

21 hours ago, poefolks said:

What I think is declining is offensive line play and talent.  Flacco has regressed accordingly.  He looked plenty capable back in 2014 and I refuse to believe his talents have eroded that much in such a short amount of time.  Give the man time to throw the ball and have a solid rushing attack in place and I can assure you, we wouldn't be having this conversation.  No, he's not Tom Brady or Aaron Rogers but plenty talented enough to take this team into the play-offs. 

I don't know what it is, but this team goes through players at the speed of light, and this has been happening for years now.

They almost need to be 4 deep at every position except Kicker and Punter.

I don't think you can properly evaluate Flacco's performance with the revolving door they call the O-Line, and that isn't even factoring in a bad back.

IF they ever get the line fixed, giving Flacco time to spread the ball around, then it's likely Campanero, Watson and Perriman  get hurt again because they'll actually be in plays.

I see other teams having injuries hear and there, but not like this team.  Offense, defense and even Special Teams (Bam Bradley), no one gets spared.  I don't care who they draft or get in the F/A, this is the great leveler they can't seem to find a solution to.

10 minutes ago, jamesdean said:

What I think is declining is offensive line play and talent.  Flacco has regressed accordingly.  He looked plenty capable back in 2014 and I refuse to believe his talents have eroded that much in such a short amount of time.  Give the man time to throw the ball and have a solid rushing attack in place and I can assure you, we wouldn't be having this conversation.  No, he's not Tom Brady or Aaron Rogers but plenty talented enough to take this team into the play-offs. 

Hey Jamesdean- I agree with you- no doubt things around him flat out suck. Also agree- If you give Flacco or any NFL starting QB (IE even Bortles) enough time he will carve up an NFL D too for the most part. At that level - where there are only 32 people in the entire world who can stand on the field and say they start as QBs in the NFL- they will do the necessary to win if given the right circumstances. But with injuries, draft misses, mismanagement, coaching mistakes, distractions, and general crap that happens every season, and in life in general - you very rarely get to create the perfect structure around 1 guy. Flacco isn't good enough to bear the burden that is the Ravens 2017 offense. Realistically, how much better of an offense will we field next year? A healthy but oft- injured and older Yanda will be back. Alex Lewis who showed promise. Dixon - 1 year removed from the sport. Who will be our TEs? Wrs? Rbs? Unfortunately multiple of offensive draft picks don't seem to be trending up for us (looking at Maxx Williams, Perriman, Moore, etc etc) We need help in every offensive dept. if you look at it. I just think we could get a cheaper option to manage the game in the same manner Flacco has- lets say a rookie next year- he won't know how to read the D either and will throw picks- same as our guy now- but he will be a helluva lot cheaper and we could then get players around him, while also build toward the future.

With Flacco- we are trying to rebuild a past, coerce some very distant Montana-esqe magic he had, but to me that's more risky than rolling the dice on a cheaper, younger option who could come in and at worse - what? Be inconsistent week to week, throw bad ints, be a bottom 3rd QB in the league? At least with that guy he'd come cheap and we'd have more room to maneuver for better skill position players all around. And the reward is you get a guy like Kirk cousins, or Russel Wilson, or imagine you get a Dak Prescott.

Just my .02. I just hope we don't have to revisit this year after year of watching a QB decline in front of our eyes while paralyzed to make a move bc of the fear this city has of not having had a winning QB for so many years before Flacco came in.

1 hour ago, poefolks said:

Hey Jamesdean- I agree with you- no doubt things around him flat out suck. Also agree- If you give Flacco or any NFL starting QB (IE even Bortles) enough time he will carve up an NFL D too for the most part. At that level - where there are only 32 people in the entire world who can stand on the field and say they start as QBs in the NFL- they will do the necessary to win if given the right circumstances. But with injuries, draft misses, mismanagement, coaching mistakes, distractions, and general crap that happens every season, and in life in general - you very rarely get to create the perfect structure around 1 guy. Flacco isn't good enough to bear the burden that is the Ravens 2017 offense. Realistically, how much better of an offense will we field next year? A healthy but oft- injured and older Yanda will be back. Alex Lewis who showed promise. Dixon - 1 year removed from the sport. Who will be our TEs? Wrs? Rbs? Unfortunately multiple of offensive draft picks don't seem to be trending up for us (looking at Maxx Williams, Perriman, Moore, etc etc) We need help in every offensive dept. if you look at it. I just think we could get a cheaper option to manage the game in the same manner Flacco has- lets say a rookie next year- he won't know how to read the D either and will throw picks- same as our guy now- but he will be a helluva lot cheaper and we could then get players around him, while also build toward the future.

With Flacco- we are trying to rebuild a past, coerce some very distant Montana-esqe magic he had, but to me that's more risky than rolling the dice on a cheaper, younger option who could come in and at worse - what? Be inconsistent week to week, throw bad ints, be a bottom 3rd QB in the league? At least with that guy he'd come cheap and we'd have more room to maneuver for better skill position players all around. And the reward is you get a guy like Kirk cousins, or Russel Wilson, or imagine you get a Dak Prescott.

Just my .02. I just hope we don't have to revisit this year after year of watching a QB decline in front of our eyes while paralyzed to make a move bc of the fear this city has of not having had a winning QB for so many years before Flacco came in.

Excellent points and I agree with much of what you said.  Unfortunately, I don't have any answers for you and neither do the Ravens.  Otherwise, we wouldn't be beating this dead horse every year.  The attrition rate on this team is mind boggling and you know someone's going to come out of the Pittsburgh game either out indefinitely or for the year.  It's inevitable as hard hitting as those games are.  We're quickly heading in the same direction as last year when they were pulling guys off the streets to play defensive backfield.  I can see the OL facing the same quandary eventually.  

2 hours ago, jamesdean said:

Excellent points and I agree with much of what you said.  Unfortunately, I don't have any answers for you and neither do the Ravens.  Otherwise, we wouldn't be beating this dead horse every year.  The attrition rate on this team is mind boggling and you know someone's going to come out of the Pittsburgh game either out indefinitely or for the year.  It's inevitable as hard hitting as those games are.  We're quickly heading in the same direction as last year when they were pulling guys off the streets to play defensive backfield.  I can see the OL facing the same quandary eventually.  

Absolutely you're right. No easy answer. I still can't wrap my head around the injuries to impact players. I know its probably bad luck but it's hard to think there isn't something they aren't doing right in the program. In fact transition may be inevitable anyway - how the hell is Flacco going to last this season with a bad back and this o-line??

1 hour ago, poefolks said:

Absolutely you're right. No easy answer. I still can't wrap my head around the injuries to impact players. I know its probably bad luck but it's hard to think there isn't something they aren't doing right in the program. In fact transition may be inevitable anyway - how the hell is Flacco going to last this season with a bad back and this o-line??

Most likely -- he won't.

On 9/25/2017 at 9:17 PM, Rob said:

I don't think Joe is playing at a high level anymore. 

I totally agree about poor offensive line play. But that's been the issue for YEARS. 

Any more? He never did.  He played at an above expectation level for a year or 2 or 3 but he was never anything better than decent.

old, broken down has been that never really was..he's the John Harbaugh of qb'ing....would say fire them both and Ozzie but their owner is a babbling moron...like the other new breed clowns destroying the NFL that marble mouth greaseball couldn't hire a good GM if he hired someone to do it for him.

22 hours ago, jamesdean said:

He compared Flacco to Montana...there is no point at all. 

Flacco has a tremendous deep ball. One of the best in the game. Yet no matter what receivers we have (not named Steve Smith), nobody can get open and he has to be Dump Down Joe. Which relays these stats:

Yds Per Attempt

2015 -- 6.6 (30th)
2016 -- 6.4 (28th)
2017 -- 5.2 (32nd)